Are You Ever Going to Support Small Teams?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Raine Akrune.8416

Raine Akrune.8416

I remember last year around this time the devs came out talking about cool changes to World vs World to encourage small group play compared to the zerg fest World vs World had turned into. After seeing the new Edge of the Mists content, which I was thrilled to see added, I must question the logic behind adding every US server to a single WvW match. You are encouraging everyone to ball up and play the numbers game this way. So my question is, can we finally get a straight answer as to what direction WvW will be taking? Will all the other WvW maps be changed to reflect the new “all servers” style of combat?

I’m not hear to QQ about you guys doing something wrong, as I said I’m merely curious as to what your current intentions are. Hopefully you either scale it back to give small teams a better chance or I hope all the other WvW maps get the numbers boost they need by adding all servers to weekly WvW matches.

Asuran Master Thief/Charr Paladin Extraordinaire
Khan of The Burning Eden [TBE]
www.theburningeden.com

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

WvW is what players make of it.
There are plenty of tools to allow small groups to break up zergs in EoTM, and many EoTM features have been asked on these forums to help break the zergs.

Examples :
- Destroyable bridge
Carefully almost destroy a bridge, then let part of the zerg pass before destroying it – makes a manageable sized-bus.
- no WP
A small group ca gnaw at a bus, with the time it takes to join the bus back, gives the demanded advantage to small group…
- multiple objectives / advantages – makes defense worth it

Now, if players would rather zerg their way through it… not Anet’s fault… But I mostly saw small groups everywhere on the map, and not much zerging, when I went on EoTM. Depends on which OF I’m on…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I remember last year around this time the devs came out talking about cool changes to World vs World to encourage small group play compared to the zerg fest World vs World had turned into. After seeing the new Edge of the Mists content, which I was thrilled to see added, I must question the logic behind adding every US server to a single WvW match. You are encouraging everyone to ball up and play the numbers game this way. So my question is, can we finally get a straight answer as to what direction WvW will be taking? Will all the other WvW maps be changed to reflect the new “all servers” style of combat?

I’m not hear to QQ about you guys doing something wrong, as I said I’m merely curious as to what your current intentions are. Hopefully you either scale it back to give small teams a better chance or I hope all the other WvW maps get the numbers boost they need by adding all servers to weekly WvW matches.

There are skilled players who form 3 to 5 man roaming teams, and are pretty effective against larger groups of opponents. Once you learn to play your character well, and get a coordinated (experienced) group of guildies or friends together, you’ll be able to reap the rewards of small group fighting.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in The Edge of the Mists

Raine Akrune.8416

There are skilled players who form 3 to 5 man roaming teams, and are pretty effective against larger groups of opponents. Once you learn to play your character well, and get a coordinated (experienced) group of guildies or friends together, you’ll be able to reap the rewards of small group fighting.

We do plenty of that already. You can’t fight an entire balled up server with 10 people. You also entirely missed the point that ArenaNet had clearly stated last year they would be improving World vs World to encourage small play, and didn’t. If they had made defending keeps more interesting or gave us some tools to help even the odds on open ground I’d be content. They just never delivered on this promise either.

www.theburningeden.com

in The Edge of the Mists

Raine Akrune.8416

WvW is what players make of it.
There are plenty of tools to allow small groups to break up zergs in EoTM, and many EoTM features have been asked on these forums to help break the zergs.

Examples :
- Destroyable bridge
Carefully almost destroy a bridge, then let part of the zerg pass before destroying it – makes a manageable sized-bus.
- no WP
A small group ca gnaw at a bus, with the time it takes to join the bus back, gives the demanded advantage to small group…
- multiple objectives / advantages – makes defense worth it

Now, if players would rather zerg their way through it… not Anet’s fault… But I mostly saw small groups everywhere on the map, and not much zerging, when I went on EoTM. Depends on which OF I’m on…

I have yet to hit EotM overflow so maybe you’re lucky but all I see on any of the maps these days is everyone balled up in one zerg, and it’s not effective. The problem is ArenaNet doesn’t encourage a variety of play out there so everyone takes the easy road. It actually ruins the game since the collective lazy zerg mind just wants to run through towers and keeps, flipping, and never defending. So whats the point of even playing if we’re not trying to win? Lol

www.theburningeden.com

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

We do plenty of that already. You can’t fight an entire balled up server with 10 people. You also entirely missed the point that ArenaNet had clearly stated last year they would be improving World vs World to encourage small play, and didn’t. If they had made defending keeps more interesting or gave us some tools to help even the odds on open ground I’d be content. They just never delivered on this promise either.

When you learn to play well, small 10 man teams can take out zerg balls. Come transfer to Maguuma, and we’ll show you how such a small group can stop a hammer train.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

When you learn to play well, small 10 man teams can take out zerg balls. Come transfer to Maguuma, and we’ll show you how such a small group can stop a hammer train.

Hi, I’m Troy Mcclure.

You may remember me from such posts like: “Stop tagging up. Follow one guy!” And “Base jumping for Commanders”.

On Maguuma, you’ll learn how to be a Pro roamer in 3 easy steps.

Step 1) Troll map chat. Everyone needs to know that you’re good, so garner an audience!

Step 2) Constantly remind everyone to “Watch my videos!” and “L2P”

Step 3) Don’t forget to reference the meta at every opportunity.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

EOTM is two different stories.

Story 1 – Beta
There were not as many people on the map at this time and so you’d see a lot of smaller groups running around. It was super fun and was really supportive of the small scale fights you discuss.

Story 2 – Go Live
People found out that this map has great rewards. That means it basically became a PvE karma train. In the small amount of time that I’ve been there, I’ve gotten 2 different ascended drops. After 500 or so levels in regular WvW, I got none.