EOTM the aspect of killing another

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: LoopySnoopy.7923

LoopySnoopy.7923

Q:

As the title hints at when this patch drops do we know that the severs we are matched up with that week; is going to be a free for all?

So if I’m doing a part of the LS some one from another sever can kill me…. This has me worried a little and has me thinking if they go that way I wont bother and I’ve enjoyed 98% of the LS including the recent version of it. Thus I would miss out on part of the scarlet conclusion, would be nice if a dev would answer this.

Too much agreement kills a chat.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Tyler Bearce

Tyler Bearce

Game Designer

A:

I stated this during the Ready Up livestream earlier today, but I’ll repeat it again here.

While we are releasing new story related content with the Edge of the Mists update, very little of that content actually occurs inside of the EotM map. Hopefully that alleviates some of your concerns!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

You are going to be matched up with all servers of your colour that week.

You will have hundreds of allies but also hundreds of enemy players. The enemy players will try to kill you, because to them your a walking loot bag…no offence…I will be a walking loot bag to the other 2 enemy colours.

Its fun.

You may die a lot but you will eventually get your achievements done and who knows you may like it and have fun.

WvW players will have a advantage, as they will be used to the fighting in large zergs, also some are excellent at using siege weapons and they do not care about achievements or living story. So there main aim is to farm the enemy zergs for loot bags.

See you on the battlefield…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

Yo ANET. HELLO!!!! Anybody out there? Is this going to by like obsidian sanctum where you force people who dont pvp to go to a map where other players can attack you while your trying to complete your pve objectives. Or is there going to be a moritorium on player combat while the story is going on?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Just prepare to bring lots of money for repairs and charge through to the achievements.
Once completed if you like the game mode then hang around, if not then at least it is over.

So really it is not much different compared to map completion.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Every LS patch was only about pve, and even at WvW we oftem see LS stuff, so this time Anet changed a bit, why not the otherway?

I think it is good, pve players will have a chance to see how WvW/PvP players can get organized in large scale fight and how coordenation is important and it is fun.

@LoopySnoopy.7923 theres no problem to arrive the batlefield clueless, you will find alot of players hunting unexperienced wvw players but also you will have dedicated players on your side and for shure they will help you.

IMO this is a ice breaker between servers, since we have to team up, just hope this is not adapted to the main WvW map.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

inb4 Nostradamus

Attachments:

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

I hope there is story mode instance.

in The Edge of the Mists

Atlas.9704

Every LS patch was only about pve, and even at WvW we oftem see LS stuff, so this time Anet changed a bit, why not the otherway?

Agreed and it is logical.
Fact is PvP’ers have been shoved in a dark corner during most of the releases.
So now they’re given a spotlight, about time.

Now I do agree with some of the WvWvW players who don’t want Living Story stuff in their maps. Then again I believe that the PvP areas should craft their own stories based on the player’s interactions instead of storyline like PvE areas should.

ANet doesn’t agree, oh well.

I think it is good, pve players will have a chance to see how WvW/PvP players can get organized in large scale fight and how coordenation is important and it is fun.

And to those who don’t mind sampling a little bit of everything you are absolutely right on the first series of points. Time and personal tastes will tell if the last point is truth for that player.

Personally I’ll agree to disagree.
There will be some, on both sides, who won’t like this release’s ambitions.
To the PvE’ers who might not like it: endure it or wait for the next release.
To the WvWvW players who might not like the integration: Don’t worry, after the next release comes the map will probably be all yours. Enjoy the loot bags from the fallen in the meantime.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m pretty psyched that they’ve chummed the waters, I wish more LS was in a “world PvP” setting….

A hint travel in a pack, most players are intimidated by groups to the point they won’t even try to go for you. If you’re a ranger or necro go with a minion build just to make people intimidated by the red names.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

1G that there will be an issue with “griefing” people doing LS achievements

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

If you actually try it, you might find that fighting other players is considerably more interesting, challenging and fun that fighting monsters, particularly in WvW. I’m not a PvP person at all and I love WvW. It’s also a fantastic way to hone your skills with a class.

Try it before you knock it. I had no interest in WvW at first either, but I dove in during Season One and I wouldn’t trade the experience and knowledge I gained for the world.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Splynter.1078

Splynter.1078

The tears (and bags) of achievement hunters will sustain us!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

1G that there will be an issue with “griefing” people doing LS achievements

I’ll take my 1G. People are already setting up cross server guilds to do this.

Isle Of Janthir

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

you could just go to an of where there is no one but yourself and complete it easy

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

you could just go to an of where there is no one but yourself and complete it easy

Since when can you choose an empty overflow?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

As the title hints at when this patch drops do we know that the severs we are matched up with that week; is going to be a free for all?

So if I’m doing a part of the LS some one from another sever can kill me…. This has me worried a little and has me thinking if they go that way I wont bother and I’ve enjoyed 98% of the LS including the recent version of it. Thus I would miss out on part of the scarlet conclusion, would be nice if a dev would answer this.

Why are you so against people killing you or another player? Nothing happens, just a repair bill. Just give it a try?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

@LoopySnoopy.7923 theres no problem to arrive the batlefield clueless, you will find alot of players hunting unexperienced wvw players but also you will have dedicated players on your side and for shure they will help you.

IMO this is a ice breaker between servers, since we have to team up, just hope this is not adapted to the main WvW map.

What I plan to do is help out those who are trying to get the achievements while still having fun in WvW fighting the enemies. As a long time PvE and WvW player and commander, I have experience with this. I and many other commanders will be working together to help everyone out with these. Get the PvE players to join up with us WvW players, and we can all achieve (pun intended) our common goals together. Going out doing a mix of the map events and objectives and doing the achievements (although I suspect the achievements will be tied in some way to the normal map objectives).
We will have to wait and see how exactly its going to work, but I suspect it will be nice and fun. I look forward to helping introduce new players to WvW, even when those people aren’t from my own server.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

in The Edge of the Mists

bwillb.2165

Why are you so against people killing you or another player? Nothing happens, just a repair bill. Just give it a try?

Been there. Tried it. Didn’t care for it. I liked large scale PvP in Ultima Online, but not in any other MMO i’ve played. Just keep the PvE story stuff PvE.

Open PvP here, the greatest tactic is “waah a thief killed me nerf thieves!” It’s pretty effective, too.

(edited by bwillb.2165)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Some people pride themselves in completing the new elitist wurm event. Others pride themselves by farming people who farm the wurm. Welcome to the real jungle. Now deal with it.

in The Edge of the Mists

LoopySnoopy.7923

Don’t get me wrong I do WvW a lot with my server I just don’t like the aspect of the 2week LS turned into to hunt down the un-experienced whilst they try the LS. i’m hoping ANet have common sense and its not an active WvW map until we liberate it from Scarlet and her henchmen.

in The Edge of the Mists

Banzie.5248

It’s trivial to believe they’ll release the map without PvP— The entire maps design revolves around PvP. The events, the three sides, the buffs, etc.

However EoTM is not an “Active” WvW map as being there doesn’t benefit your server in any shape or form.

Isle Of Janthir

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Are you randomly assigned a color/faction or do you choose among the three? If so, I choose blue, the Aetherblades.

in The Edge of the Mists

Banzie.5248

Are you randomly assigned a color/faction or do you choose among the three? If so, I choose blue, the Aetherblades.

The way it’s assigned is base on server color of the week for WvW. So you will be put into maps with ALL servers of the same color that week.

Isle Of Janthir

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

@Banzie, Ah ok thanks, now I get it. I did not read the thread carefully lol.

(edited by Steel Fenrir.2791)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Up to this coming release I’ve seen more complaints about the LS stuff being in the WvW environment than anyone ever saying they liked it. Remember WvW Season 1 achievements? Remember all the rage of people hating PvEers coming for achievements and “messing up WvW”? I do.

Why now is this suddenly “Ya! Free loot bags off PvEers!”? Is it because EotM isn’t part of the standard weekly WvW scoring? Is it because EotM is nothing but a glorified Overflow?

Lastly, so many posts of trying to get people to like WvW and help out – especially from those on “lower population” servers. Do you really think this grief is a good idea and will make people suddenly like the WvW game mode?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

I don’t see this as anything new or bad. In fact I look forward to it. Think of it as a map with open world PVP. Where you go to complete a few quests and such but have to watch your back the entire time to make sure you don’t get PK’d.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Killing each other plus LS combined will be the best release to date.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Yo ANET. HELLO!!!! Anybody out there? Is this going to by like obsidian sanctum where you force people who dont pvp to go to a map where other players can attack you while your trying to complete your pve objectives. Or is there going to be a moritorium on player combat while the story is going on?

If it’s in WvW it’s not really a PvE objective, now is it? =D

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

I’m planning on killing as many pve achievement hunters as I possibly can.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t see this as anything new or bad. In fact I look forward to it. Think of it as a map with open world PVP. Where you go to complete a few quests and such but have to watch your back the entire time to make sure you don’t get PK’d.

Well, that’s exactly the feeling I hate most. I gave up on Killer in college because I couldn’t focus on coursework due to worrying about little foam disks hitting me or “bombs” under my chairs … paranoia is not fun for me. I quit Age of Conan because they put the RP server on a PvP server and that was utterly toxic. I like to trust people, I guess.

Anyway, I’ll withhold judgment until I see how it all works. Hopefully they haven’t set it up so griefers can deliberately camp achievers like in the LS EBG JP achieves. I have done a lot of WvW exploration and even just fighting, it’s doable, it’s simply not fun in more than very small doses and it’s really nasty when people use it to hurt others rather than honorably compete.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Mishva.9416

Mishva.9416

Gonna have so much fun stomping pve carebears, get ready to be spawn camped and zerg busted for days!

Mishvya Of Abyss [Abys] – SBI
engineer and commander.

in The Edge of the Mists

bwillb.2165

Some people pride themselves in completing the new elitist wurm event. Others pride themselves by farming people who farm the wurm. Welcome to the real jungle. Now deal with it.

I’m sure spawn camping people who are more interested in doing something other than fight you is something to be real proud of.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Since when can you choose an empty overflow?

Always been able to force ofs

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

The problem with the obsidian sanctum achievement griefing fiasco had more to do with the map, and achievement design than the actual concept.

There’s several places in there where a player or two could stop upwards of five opponents from progressing with little to no effort, and the achievement being at the end of a list of seven others in PvE zones caused a significant portion of players to be attempting the sanctum alone with their allies being coincidental.

I suspect that the combination of a map that is actually designed to be an even battleground, with the numbers from experienced WvW players will make this update much safer, and less ‘griefable’ than the obsidian sanctum achievements.

(edited by Rottaran Owain.6789)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

Let this sink in.

The primary purpose for EotM is WvW overflow. It is a PvP zone. If you are not prepared for PvP to happen don’t bother going in. I don’t like it when Anet dumps LS into WvW. If I want to do LS I am perfectly capable and willing to leave WvW for it.

My keenest hope is that EotM can contain LS pollution of WvW to its maps and leave the real maps alone.

If you are that concerned bring friends. And in this game it helps to bring friends who know how to kill people.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Arkanaloth.3059

Arkanaloth.3059

Just prepare to bring lots of money for repairs and charge through to the achievements.
Once completed if you like the game mode then hang around, if not then at least it is over.

So really it is not much different compared to map completion.

Unfortunately yes…

I endured PVP for my map completion in for Canthan Cartographer in GW1…. never went back.

Logged on to GW2 and got WvW zones complete by simply waiting for our server to have 90+% control, then going into the zone during off peak times (early mornings typically), got my gifts of exploration… never went back.

not a big PVP fan, and my world completion is finished.. not sure if I care enough about some achievement points to do it again. Missing out on some story is a bit annoying but eh… that’s what reading wiki spoilers is for.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

I’m sure spawn camping people who are more interested in doing something other than fight you is something to be real proud of.

You know where you are? You’re in tha jungle, baby.
You’re gonna diiiiiie!

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

It actually seems like fun in theory. However, being on a server that has a pretty bad record at suckage every week in WvW, my biggest hopes for EotM are that our color-buddies are enough help. If they aren’t, then it will be as big of a failure as WvW is week after week. I’ll have to wait to see but at this point there’s no reason to think the content would be good or bad, just possible to go both ways.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

Gonna have so much fun stomping pve carebears, get ready to be spawn camped and zerg busted for days!

That sort of talk is a big reason why a lot of players stay away from PvP/WvW. It’s one thing to get killed by another player. It’s another entirely to get killed and then taunted over it.

Show some class, please.

in The Edge of the Mists

Atlas.9704

Show some class, please.

You ask for much with this.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

That sort of talk is a big reason why a lot of players stay away from PvP/WvW. It’s one thing to get killed by another player. It’s another entirely to get killed and then taunted over it.

Show some class, please.

People like that are a) not very serious or b) very bad.
So the new guys just follow the wvw veterans and those people are stomped. But I dont think any wvw veteran is preying on pve new guys.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Show some class, please.

People will /laugh. Not much you can do about it, ignore and respawn. Good news is they can’t talk to you in map chat or even whisper you.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

Up to this coming release I’ve seen more complaints about the LS stuff being in the WvW environment than anyone ever saying they liked it. Remember WvW Season 1 achievements? Remember all the rage of people hating PvEers coming for achievements and “messing up WvW”? I do.

Why now is this suddenly “Ya! Free loot bags off PvEers!”? Is it because EotM isn’t part of the standard weekly WvW scoring? Is it because EotM is nothing but a glorified Overflow?

Lastly, so many posts of trying to get people to like WvW and help out – especially from those on “lower population” servers. Do you really think this grief is a good idea and will make people suddenly like the WvW game mode?

Because unlike the Season 1 LS nonsense, this has no bearing on any real competition. The second WvW season hasn’t started yet, so really WvW right now just for funsies and preparation to see which Brackets we’re placed in.

And if the Screen Shot from today is any indication, anything done on the Edge of the Mists doesn’t carry over to the Mist War, where the statistics actually matter, so this new map is, quite literally, just a WvW Players haven to dink around in until their queue pops for the Mists War.

For once, there is actually no harm from having the LS Achievement Hunters coming into WvW for the people who want to participate in WvW competitively, as opposed to Season 1, where people hunting for achievements (such as wasting/draining resources on walls that didn’t need it for the sake of the achievement) actually had a detrimental affect on those trying to compete.

I’m still not happy about Anet shoving LS into WvW, where it doesn’t belong and just distracts from what many consider the most enjoyable aspect of GW2, but atleast in this way there’s no harm being done to the actual Mist War competition.

in The Edge of the Mists

bwillb.2165

Poor PvP people, bullied as kids and now gotta take their frustrations out by bullying other players.

in The Edge of the Mists

Atlas.9704

I stated this during the Ready Up livestream earlier today, but I’ll repeat it again here.

While we are releasing new story related content with the Edge of the Mists update, very little of that content actually occurs inside of the EotM map. Hopefully that alleviates some of your concerns!

I let out a cheer when watching the twitch as this was said.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Thank you Tyler, that brings a great sense of relief. I enjoy WvW, but when I want to do PvE, I don’t want peoples hunting me down because that’s how they get their jollies.

(edited by Becka Williams.4978)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Because it’s not fun?
It’s not like the Obsidian Sanctum LS debacle wasn’t already bad (which people didn’t forget to clearly communicate to the devs – it seems it was completely ignored). And it was just about few achievements, not connected to the main story at all. This is likely gonna be much worse.

Edit: hmm, maybe not much worse, if indeed most of the LS component will be elsewhere.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

I love you.

in The Edge of the Mists

LoopySnoopy.7923

Thank you Tyler for answering this and putting players minds at ease; those that want to wVw and those that don’t thanks again