EOTM the aspect of killing another

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Krall you are really arguing for the sake of it now:

And yet people don’t see to have any issues whatsoever that PvP:ers “have to” do PvE in order to gain the vast majority of stuff.

You are either living on another planet or are not speaking out of experience. A thread complaining about how WvWers (the PvPers in question here) have to do PvE in order to gear is opened at least once a month on the WvW subforum; the whole forum agrees with the player and then the thread dies.

Most players don’t like doing other game modes – sPvP players complain that there rank kitten are level 1 in PvE. WvWers complain that they can’t get access to dungeon armor. PvEers complain when they get knocked off the Obsidian Sanctum JP.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Well, regardless of where the QQ originates, the tears certainly sustain me.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

Again the misconception is apparent. In just about every MMO I’ve played and from a few real life friends, has come the “argument” that – you should try wvw/pvp . If you just try it you will see its Fun. because of x and y
The notion that something is fun is based on your personal ideas of what in fact – is fun -.
I have done some wvw and some pvp. I often do end up going to an mmo’s- things like that- just to see how it’s like on that game. Yet I never find it fun.
You might say – it’s just not the type of fun I enjoy or I have a different humor than you.
Baseline is that the majority of pve players – play pve because they like that, and pvp players play pvp – because they like that…. Mixing the two rarely works out.
On top of that you have situations like this and the whole “balance” thing that vexes PvE players like me, who for reasons out of their world, gets nerfed/changed prodded into situations we do not want—— all based on a game type that we have no part or interest in.
Said in another way:

I might many times tell you that slamming your hand with a hammer is FUN!! you should try it!. If only you have tried it you will also like smacking your hand every day" yet I’m fairly sure your common sense or past experience will tell you that such a notion would not be of your interest no matter the times I tell you to smack your hand with said hammer cause its !FUN!
And dev’s please don’t poke us PvE’ers in our eye, so that the *hand smacking players
have a more balanced way of handling hammer smacking.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And yet people don’t see to have any issues whatsoever that PvP:ers “have to” do PvE in order to gain the vast majority of stuff.

Quite the opposite – many PvPers do have issue with that. And you know what? I’m certainly not going to tell them they have to PvE if they don’t want it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

In this interview they state “The thing we’re not going to do is make players run all over The Edge of the Mists map and do a bunch of things to complete the story when they could be killed by other players,” says Nguyen. “The appearance of the map ties into the story we’re telling, but we want to keep a separation between PvP and the story components.” So no worries.

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/8191/Guild-Wars-2-War-Lore-Edge-of-the-Mists-.html

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

In this interview they state “The thing we’re not going to do is make players run all over The Edge of the Mists map and do a bunch of things to complete the story when they could be killed by other players,” says Nguyen. “The appearance of the map ties into the story we’re telling, but we want to keep a separation between PvP and the story components.” So no worries.

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/8191/Guild-Wars-2-War-Lore-Edge-of-the-Mists-.html

oh thank the six!

Gunnar’s Hold

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

This is fair, in fact I’m still glad that WvWvW gets this map and Living Story is “light” on the focus.
We will see in a few hours how this goes.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well nothing to worry about for those that do not like to play WvW. i still hope some of them will decide to give it a try, it really is not as kittenome people like to think.
And when you do I hope your first encounter is not with a silver Legend thief.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Well nothing to worry about for those that do not like to play WvW. i still hope some of them will decide to give it a try, it really is not as kittenome people like to think.
And when you do I hope your first encounter is not with a silver Legend thief.

Agreed. I’m heavy PvE oriented, but do enjoy WvW from time-to-time. Hope others come to try it and like it like I have.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: CursedShaitan.9720

CursedShaitan.9720

I don’t see this as anything new or bad. In fact I look forward to it. Think of it as a map with open world PVP. Where you go to complete a few quests and such but have to watch your back the entire time to make sure you don’t get PK’d.

Well, that’s exactly the feeling I hate most. I gave up on Killer in college because I couldn’t focus on coursework due to worrying about little foam disks hitting me or “bombs” under my chairs … paranoia is not fun for me. I quit Age of Conan because they put the RP server on a PvP server and that was utterly toxic. I like to trust people, I guess.

Anyway, I’ll withhold judgment until I see how it all works. Hopefully they haven’t set it up so griefers can deliberately camp achievers like in the LS EBG JP achieves. I have done a lot of WvW exploration and even just fighting, it’s doable, it’s simply not fun in more than very small doses and it’s really nasty when people use it to hurt others rather than honorably compete.

WvW in GW2 is so mind blowingly tame relative to the games you just compared them too. With hundreds of automatic allies simultaneously working towards the same goals you have at the same time and the freedom from corpse camping that waypoints provide there is NO WAY IN HELL completing the event in WvW with a server to back you could compare to the frustration and helplessness possible in AOC. where you had no course of action if you wanted to explore a zone occupied by a large guild if you didn’t want to participate in one yourself.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Heezdedjim.8902

Heezdedjim.8902

So, has anyone been able to actually do any of the PvE storyline that is set in this new map yet? It sounds, from dev comments, like there are completely separate instances of this map for PvE questing and for the new overflow WvW system. If that’s how it is going to work, then this entire thread is a non-issue.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

So, has anyone been able to actually do any of the PvE storyline that is set in this new map yet? It sounds, from dev comments, like there are completely separate instances of this map for PvE questing and for the new overflow WvW system. If that’s how it is going to work, then this entire thread is a non-issue.

There are three forks to this week’s story. One is in Tyria (mostly dialog), one is in the PvP map (grab an item deep within the map, pain in the kitten when people are camping it from the other factions), and one I haven’t done yet which sounds like it is in a new instance related to EOTM.

edit: I was wrong on that last one. No instance. Just a small event in the world similar to a single probe with aetherblades.

(edited by bwillb.2165)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: LoopySnoopy.7923

LoopySnoopy.7923

I stated this during the Ready Up livestream earlier today, but I’ll repeat it again here.

While we are releasing new story related content with the Edge of the Mists update, very little of that content actually occurs inside of the EotM map. Hopefully that alleviates some of your concerns!

Love the way you worded this. As a WvW and a PVE player this content is far the worse thing ANET have done, it is encouraging campers on the LS spot inside the mists and causing a lot of frustration amongst many players, some of these players don’t seem to understand that this content was made for WvW 1st with shoe horned LS content lobbed in for good measure.

This will be the only content I wont participate in due to Anets poor understanding, PVE players don’t care for WvW and most WvW players are nasty they get their jollys from watching players dieing

Once again worse content ever!

Too much agreement kills a chat.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: willwheels.1048

willwheels.1048

I think there’s an argument to be made for having everyone get a taste for WvW through the Living Story, but the placement at the center of the map with control points just encourages griefing. Which is what is happening now. This could have been better thought out.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I died a grand total of 0 times getting that part on my uplevel alt.

Its out of the way from the objectives.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I stated this during the Ready Up livestream earlier today, but I’ll repeat it again here.

While we are releasing new story related content with the Edge of the Mists update, very little of that content actually occurs inside of the EotM map. Hopefully that alleviates some of your concerns!

Love the way you worded this. As a WvW and a PVE player this content is far the worse thing ANET have done, it is encouraging campers on the LS spot inside the mists and causing a lot of frustration amongst many players, some of these players don’t seem to understand that this content was made for WvW 1st with shoe horned LS content lobbed in for good measure.

This will be the only content I wont participate in due to Anets poor understanding, PVE players don’t care for WvW and most WvW players are nasty they get their jollys from watching players dieing

Once again worse content ever!

I completely agree. After nearly 10 years with the GW franchise, they still have not figured out that PvE and PvP do not mix. I went in to that map with a huge zerg, made a bee line for the part, then jumped off the edge leaving the rest of the players to fend for themselves. Anet can keep trying to force PvE players in to the PvP areas, but all they are really going to do is foce many of us right out of the game. I am simply tired of it and will not put up with it any longer. There are so many good quality games out there that will let me play the way I want to play, why should I play something where they try to force you to do something you do not want to do? And before anyone comes back with “no one is forcing you to do anything”, correct, I do not have to do any content. The attempt on the devs part is more then enough to turn me off to the whole thing.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

The objective is in the center of the map. Unless there is some way to get there that I haven’t found yet, you will most likely encounter enemies. Luckily, I play WvW already and enjoy it.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!