Red vs. Blue vs. Green: outnumbered problem.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Anen.1742

Anen.1742

Worlds will be matched according to which color they are in the current WvW matchup. For example, all green worlds will be on the same team in the Edge of the Mists.

If Red has 10x more players, they will have a few more empty meaningless overflows to fight. I think this balancing system is not fair for all colors.

(edited by Anen.1742)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

u know it isn’t based on colors colors assigned to each server are random each week so the foundation of your argument is flawed by having no reproducible data.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Colors are not random. My server has been green since the beginning of December.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

As a green team.. it did suck last night to hit a couple outnumbered maps.

I solved this dilemma by just simply leaving the map and re-entering. I was then put into an overflow that had more equal numbers (well my outnumbered was gone at least) and that made the experience more enjoyable.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

Colors are not random. My server has been green since the beginning of December.

I think he means random in EOTM only, I would hope that all the green servers would not be put together in EOTM, that would be obviously unbalanced. Colors represent the place you finished the week before in regular WvW for those that are not aware of that fact.

in The Edge of the Mists

Ayrilana.1396

I think he means random in EOTM only, I would hope that all the green servers would not be put together in EOTM, that would be obviously unbalanced. Colors represent the place you finished the week before in regular WvW for those that are not aware of that fact.

All servers that are green will be on the same team. It’s in the patch notes. The ranking is more involved than simply based on what place your server placed on their tier.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Anen.1742

Anen.1742

u know it isn’t based on colors colors assigned to each server are random each week so the foundation of your argument is flawed by having no reproducible data.

Worlds will be matched according to which color they are in the current WvW matchup. For example, all green worlds will be on the same team in the Edge of the Mists.

This balancing is leading to outnumbered buff in multiple maps for one color. If you can’t understand why…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

All servers that are green will be on the same team. It’s in the patch notes.

Yeah I guess my mind blocked that out. Does anyone else think that might not be the best idea? I guess this is the topic of the thread.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Does everyone think the colours equally balanced?

Noticed Green, never seem to get the south tower between them and blue. Played 4-5 EoTM maps so far. Also, green seems drawn south to north to always fight red.

Out of one of those maps green were outnumbered…

in The Edge of the Mists

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not the ideal way but the easiest most likely from a programming standpoint.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: cortin.9174

cortin.9174

It does suck to be in an outnumbered instance. I resolved this by simply exiting, and entering again. Usually you get put into a different instance. I’ve had to do it 3 times to get into a decent one at one point, but it doesn’t seem like to troublesome.

However this is probably about the only downside to EoTM that I’ve seen. I do wish they would just show you the instances available, and let you choose which you want to enter, like how WoW does BG queues.

Also, it’d be nice if the queuing algorithm would match guild zergs together, so a large guild queuing together from Red would be matched with a large guild queuing from Blue and Green. This way you would create a more competitive instances where each side would have a chance. I saw there were times when a large guild from the same server were rolling over all the pugs of the other colors, as they should since they’re organized. But those were the instances where people eventually leave and create the “outnumbered” buff situation. So if the queues would match guild zergs together, it’d at least create less of these outnumbered situations or easy rolling zerg situations.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

as it stands green is nothing but free loot bags hopping around the map

this is the stupidest idea i ve seen implemented in the game so far

give players the option to transfer servers if you’re keeping it like this

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

If Red has 10x more players, they will have a few more empty meaningless overflows to fight. I think this balancing system is not fair for all colors.

Fair to who?

All 3 colors get the best fights available that way. The extra Red players can go to WvW, and if their arent fights to be had their either…. Then they weren’t going to get flights regardless.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I much prefer green vs. red vs. blue you get to play allied with other servers, 17th place gets to fight next to 2nd place, etc. I like it.
however, green, red, and blue assignment should be random. I believe right now, 1st = green, 2nd = blue, 3rd = red? If that’s the case, then these are the matchups:
1,4,7,10,13,16,19,22 = green
vs.
2,5,8,11,14,17,20,23 = blue
vs.
3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24 = red
more even than 7v8v9, for example, but still green has a clear advantage.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I much prefer green vs. red vs. blue you get to play allied with other servers, 17th place gets to fight next to 2nd place, etc. I like it.
however, green, red, and blue assignment should be random. I believe right now, 1st = green, 2nd = blue, 3rd = red? If that’s the case, then these are the matchups:
1,4,7,10,13,16,19,22 = green
vs.
2,5,8,11,14,17,20,23 = blue
vs.
3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24 = red
more even than 7v8v9, for example, but still green has a clear advantage.

Not really. Add up the Glicko-2 points for all Greens versus all Blues versus all Reds and you’ll find that the differences in the totals are not striking. I’m not saying that there aren’t major population discrepancies in EOTM … I’m saying that Green being top dog in WvW isn’t the reason.

With all the PvE and achievements that are polluting EOTM the number of players currently there for each team does not necessarily correlate at all with WvW rankings (which of course determine Green/Blue/Red). I played Blue in a match last night and we had such a huge numbers advantage that we steamrolled everyone.

To their credit, ANet seems to have finally created a map that can handle a lot of players reasonably well, but to their discredit they still can’t figure out how to put approximately equal numbers of players on the map at the same time. They didn’t need to assign players to EOTM teams based upon WvW color … they could have made that random … and I doubt anybody is going to be playing EOTM primarily for the benefits that get assigned back to their server. They’re going to play EOTM either as something to do while they wait in a WvW queue or they’re going to play EOTM simply because they think it’s fun.

ANet still has some work to do.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

(edited by Cactus.2710)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Saint Scarlet.2906

Saint Scarlet.2906

That fact is no longer a fact and hasn’t been for 9months or so. You are obviously not aware of the patch notes from Anet back then, when they randomised the matchups they also randomised the colour you will be. Yes sometimes you can get stuck with a particular colour for a few weeks, thats rng.
Matchup colours are not tied to your previous weeks performance anymore. It’s random who will be on each others team in EotM.

Commander Oracle Of Glint
Executed [EXE]
Piken Square

in The Edge of the Mists

Ayrilana.1396

Please provide a link to a source that is current which states color assignment is random. I do not recall this change ever happening.

All I remember them doing is adding an additional variable into their formula for rankings that adds little volatility. If servers rankings are far enough apart, then they have a low chance to go to another color.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Please provide a link to a source that is current which states color assignment is random.

I can’t vouch for it being purely random… but a quick look at matchups will clearly show that colors are not directly tied to relative rank anymore. In some tiers Blue is the top ranked server, in others it’s Green.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in The Edge of the Mists

Ayrilana.1396

Please provide a link to a source that is current which states color assignment is random.

I can’t vouch for it being purely random… but a quick look at matchups will clearly show that colors are not directly tied to relative rank anymore. In some tiers Blue is the top ranked server, in others it’s Green.

I edited my post as you made yours.

This is pretty much what I explained. I don’t know where the official source from Anet regarding it is located.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/When-does-the-worlds-change-colors/first#post3467650

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Definitely not purely random. The randomized ranking algorithm creates a modified ranking from the “true” ranking using a bit of randomness. That new ranking determines matchups as well as the colors. However, this small bit of randomness often isn’t enough to push some servers out of their “true” rank (because of big rank gaps between it and its neighbors) and that’s why some servers get the same color week after week.

in The Edge of the Mists

Ayrilana.1396