Thank You for Making Taimi

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: AlphaDelilas.2873

AlphaDelilas.2873

I know some people are complaining about how the way the new team is forming is to be PC or some-such nonsense, but I love it. I absolutely adored Taimi last update since she’s so feisty, but now that they’ve had her reveal her disability? I love her even more. The general mass of gamers have an easy time finding a character to relate to, but I don’t. I have disabilities and to see a character have a similar “fault” is awesome.

To which ever part of the team that made her: thank you so much! <3

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: katripper.5630

katripper.5630

I play almost exclusively in wvw and pvp and up till now have payed no attention to living story, but the dialogue between Braham and Taimi in this patch has definitely been one of my most favorite aspects.

Ulumuri/Trash Boat/Fairweather Scrub
Crystal Desert

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Best character they have created in ages, no cheesy relationship – her obvious attraction to braham is like a little sister/ big brother relationship and its adorable. She has an actual weakness and isn’t unbelievably all powerful. Her understandable admiration of Scarlet’s intellect as herself a child prodigy.

She’s only been around for a couple of weeks and already she’s so much better than most of the other main characters.

I really hope she is Omadd daughter but if that is the case she would probably say something about it when you ask about scarlet. After all Scarlet did brutally murder her father and she says “Do you think we’ll get to see her? Maybe meet her? I’d like that. Wouldn’t you?”

If you asked me about the murdered of my father I’d want to do more than just meet her.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

I also love that character. Truth be told her appearance was too out of the blue to my taste but way she is developing is very promising. She is blunt but not as sarcastic egomaniac as most of Asuras :P but hopefully that spot would be filled by Canach.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: roseria.7695

roseria.7695

I love her cheekyness and when i found out she had a weakness i was just like .. EVEN BETTER and this is something i love about this game… they arnt scared of adding real life themes to a game of fantasy. 10/10 would buy taimi mini.

Roserra @ [ATT] – Attuned

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

great character, amazing voice actress

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I love her cheekyness and when i found out she had a weakness i was just like .. EVEN BETTER and this is something i love about this game… they arnt scared of adding real life themes to a game of fantasy. 10/10 would buy taimi mini.

I feel like a Taimi mini would have to be the same size as Taimi or it’d be unrecognizable.

She’s already miniaturized.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Heh.

I agree that she’s great. The one-liner about Braham’s attire and styling had me LOLing.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

Aah, I love Taimi! She’s, by far, my favorite character of the whole bunch.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

great character, amazing voice actress

Yeah absolutely. Love the voice, love the character.

The only thing I am a little disturbed by is her face! It’s too cute – like some puppet about to murder someone! ;D

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Scott McGough

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

<<snip!>>

To you and everyone who has expressed appreciation for Taimi in this thread: on behalf of the entire Writing Team, you’re very welcome.

We’re very fond and proud of Taimi—her characterization was the result of a lot of good team effort and collaboration. Special thanks to Debi Derryberry (the voice actor) who really helped bring Taimi to life.

And here’s to whatever the future holds for our progeny prodigy. Cheers!

—Scott McG

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

<<snip!>>

To you and everyone who has expressed appreciation for Taimi in this thread: on behalf of the entire Writing Team, you’re very welcome.

We’re very fond and proud of Taimi—her characterization was the result of a lot of good team effort and collaboration. Special thanks to Debi Derryberry (the voice actor) who really helped bring Taimi to life.

Be careful Scott… you might need to get Debi on the permanent payroll to keep everyone happy if this keeps up.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Yup she is awesome, I sat there listening to her and Braham for a bit. Before running off and getting some golem parts for her!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Excellent voice acting, really brings out the sass in Taimi

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Lyndis.4653

Lyndis.4653

It wasn’t meeeeee !

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

<<snip!>>

I think we should have more NPCs with disabilities. They tend to have more of an emotional attachment for players (i.e. a certain apple selling charr). I just love the idea that Taimi’s “wheelchair” is her golem.

Some other ideas for NPCs:

Blind character born as a noble
Deaf character with a hyper partner that translates her sign language
Armless character with a talent for painting with her feet
Burn victim that’s emotionally scarred from a Scarlet attack on LA

Edit… I think this deserves it’s own suggestion thread!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I think if they tried to milk it it would eventually wear down. But speaking of blind/deaf people, I would maybe like to see a Sage or something at some point, possibly a Norn, that also has seen past the “Eternal Alchemy” in a way that makes them uber wise. A bit like an Onin character from Jak and Daxter.

http://jakanddaxter.wikia.com/wiki/Onin

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: roseria.7695

roseria.7695

I feel like a Taimi mini would have to be the same size as Taimi or it’d be unrecognizable.

She’s already miniaturized.

Irl. i should have added irl -.-’

Roserra @ [ATT] – Attuned

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

She is really great:)

On a side note, I usually never have a problem with names, but how exactly do you pronounce it? “Tah-ee-mee”, or “Timey”? lol

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

In game, Braham calls her ‘Tiny.’ And she responds with something like ’IT’S TAI-MEE.’ So I guess that’s the pronunciation!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Yeah, Taimi rhymes with “tiny,” which I’m sure Anet did on purpose.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Million.5764

Million.5764

I remember that WoodenPotatoes said that Taimi meant sapling in some language and then i realized that it means sapling in Finnish. Is her name really picked up from Finnish or is it just random? I Wonder…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

I somehow have the feeling there might already be a game out there for you with characters like these … :-)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Shrug. I find the character excruciating, but I’ve never been a fan of the Adorably Precocious/Mouthy kid trope.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

<<snip!>>

I think we should have more NPCs with disabilities. They tend to have more of an emotional attachment for players (i.e. a certain apple selling charr). I just love the idea that Taimi’s “wheelchair” is her golem.

Edit… I think this deserves it’s own suggestion thread!

How is being a burn victim a disability?!

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I somehow have the feeling there might already be a game out there for you with characters like these … :-)

I don’t know of this game by 4chan that you speak of…

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t know of this game by 4chan that you speak of…

I can’t believe I didn’t make that connection the first time I saw your post. -_-

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: BladeNinja.4671

BladeNinja.4671

I was attracted to Taimi the first day of the release and still is. I hope she stays around for a while She’s so cute too!

Aura Slicer X Thief. Pvp svr 007 Oh wait! i’m not suppose to tell you that!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

I really like her too. I find she gives Braham a lot more character by association, also. Kudos!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

There’s so few characters that I get fond of in video games. Glados from Portal 2, Deckard Cain from Diablo 2/3, Claptrap from Borderlands 1/2.

So far Taimi is proving to be up there with those great characters.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I haven’t been playing the WvW aspect of this last update. Can anyone fill me in on this disability?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I haven’t been playing the WvW aspect of this last update. Can anyone fill me in on this disability?

Taimi has a degenerative disease. Her legs are too weak and this condition can spread to the rest of her body as she gets old, according to her.

She is a great character, really interesting and also adorable.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Taimi has a degenerative disease. Her legs are too weak and this condition can spread to the rest of her body as she gets old, according to her.

She is a great character, really interesting and also adorable.

oh my..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

she reminds me a little of Mecha Maid from the webcomic Spinnerette

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I love how they designed her have so many disadvantages compared to other NPC and still be able to do everything they can and maybe more. The fact she clings to Braham like a little sister is so precious. But the biggest thing I like is whats to come.
Braham- Eir’s son
Taimi- zojja’s apprentice (might be a deeper relationship, unknown yet)
I can forsee quite a few clashes happening because of this.
Cute little asura clinging to Braham might also ruffle some fur with Rox to boot

#ELEtism

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

I’d like to add my appreciation for the character of Taimi as well. I’ve been waiting it seems forever for a major asuran character in the living story and she was very much worth the wait!

All in all, I’m very happy with our “heroes” in the living story. I’m finding them all quite memorable.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Warlord Lu Bu.7905

Warlord Lu Bu.7905

What disability is Taimi supposed to have? I assumed she couldn’t stand, but I built a flame ram on top of her and she went from sitting to standing!

All hail Lord Flame Ram!

War Legend Lu Bu – Commander
[WäR] Warband of Absolute Retribution
Borlis Pass

in The Edge of the Mists

Gabby.3205

^She can stand, and she can even walk, just not for long periods of time. And it is getting worse.

Tarnished Coast

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Toby.2357

Toby.2357

<<snip!>>

Now if only you guys could keep that up and prevent us from future Scarlets

Level 80 Kudzu Ranger – SFR

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

<<snip!>>

Now if only you guys could keep that up and prevent us from future Scarlets

Always got to be someone to throw the jab in…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ShredsAndPatches.3417

ShredsAndPatches.3417

I was neutral on Taimi at first — not fond of precocious kids who like villains (I’m thinking of Dawn on ‘Buffy’ hero-worshipping vampires. Murderers aren’t cool, you stupid kid!) The voice acting made her much more likeable than I would have expected from reading the dialogue in the wiki, so congrats to Ms. Derryberry for doing hero’s work there. But the reveal of her disability really made me like her and think she was cool. (Her voice in that little dialogue was perfect.)

I think it’s because this motivates the whole Asuran persona more than anything else has. Of course she’s trying to control the world with her brain. How else can she get around? Of course she’s a little snotty and elitist — she knows her strengths (brilliance) and her weaknesses (physical dependence on others) and maybe she’s got a bit of something to prove. Her willingness to get attached to Braham despite him basically being a large monkey by her standards is kind of sweet, and tells me that she’s a kid, sorry, progeny, rather than an adult. Idolizing Scarlet is still sort of gross, murderers aren’t cool, you stupid kid, but I’m sure that’ll get sorted out as the story goes on. And yeah, several times I’ve just hung out and listened to her and Braham talk. That line he gives about having screwed up babysitting often doesn’t fit what it follows — I’m assuming it’s supposed to go with the dialogue about why she can’t walk? I’d love to hear Rox’s reaction.

(edited by ShredsAndPatches.3417)

in The Edge of the Mists

Gabby.3205

I think that the best thing about Taimi is that she doesn’t let her disability stops her from doing whatever she wants. I dislike when a story portraits people with disabilities as being hapless.
I’m sure everybody can remember a character like that: A poor kid with a disability that is picked on by everybody until someone goes to the kid and then they become friends. You probably saw that a thousand of times.
Taimi doesn’t need that. She is a good character and she can get things done. Sure, we had the problem with the golem, but Taimi’s reaction to the problem (like if it was just a minor inconvenience) makes a world of a difference.
Plus, her relationship with Braham. Braham didn’t feel sorry for her and then went to where she was and offered a friendly shoulder. No, not with Taimi. Taimi knows what she wants, and she will go and get what she wants. She went to Braham and made him her friend. She is the best.

I tell you, sometimes I complain about bits of the story, but I love these kids. Braham, Taimi, Rox, Kas, Jory, Canach, Faren… Alright, not all of them are kids, but still. I love them.
If any of them is killed, I will mourn for months

Tarnished Coast

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

Also having disabilities, discovering Taimi is like myself shot her right up there on my list of favourite characters. Having her use Scruffy as a means to do things she otherwise would not be able to do is also uplifting, and not unlike what Guild Wars does for me (though I don’t imagine anybody runs around as a man-lion fighting bad guys in the real world)

Thanks for this character ANet, and I look forward to what she and the other main living story characters get up to next!

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Agreed with what is posted here. There are so many stale characters and people with disabilities are always overlooked when it comes to stories, so Taimi is definitely a breath of fresh air.

Bring us more interesting characters like this please!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I like her as well, now if only we could get her hair for asura….