The end of regular WvWvW

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: shoufer.2917

shoufer.2917

I really enjoy WvW even when the matchup is against my server. I also like the new map. What I don’t like is that the new map takes players from WvW which in turn make is even harder for a server with low population to stand against the inevitable and never fixable mismatch problem the game has for population in WvW.

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Unless they fix groups being able to easily join EoTM or being able to choose between overflows at will (so a guild can just say “Overflow 23 tonight!”), its never going to replace WvW proper.

That said, I definetly see a population problem coming up…

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

shoufer.2917

the problem for most servers that do not have large WvW populations is coverage. The new map is fun. I enjoy it. But is draws from the already limited pool of WvW players. This does not hurt a server that has huge WvW populations. Say daytime 50 plus. But a server with a daytime pop of say 25 or 30 that loses 10 or 15 to the new map is screwed.

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

shoufer.2917

the problem for most servers that do not have large WvW populations is coverage. The new map is fun. I enjoy it. But is draws from the already limited pool of WvW players. This does not hurt a server that has huge WvW populations. Say daytime 50 plus. But a server with a daytime pop of say 25 or 30 that loses 10 or 15 to the new map is screwed.

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Reslinal.2359

Reslinal.2359

The new map has only been out for less than a week, give it a bit of time before we can truly examine its impact on WvW.

Blackgate Engineer

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Holion.5604

Holion.5604

Unless they fix groups being able to easily join EoTM or being able to choose between overflows at will (so a guild can just say “Overflow 23 tonight!”), its never going to replace WvW proper.

How do you choose overflows? please do tell

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

How do you choose overflows? please do tell

You use the regular taxi method to get your guild into lets say whatever overflow the commander gets in… or if you want to run with or against another guild etc.

Either way, there is absolutely no problem getting your guild into the same overflow.

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

I don’t like regular WvW, but EoTM looks fun. What’s the difference if I don’t play WvW at all and if I play EoTM only?

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

I don’t like regular WvW, but EoTM looks fun. What’s the difference if I don’t play WvW at all and if I play EoTM only?

Points gained in EotM do not count toward the WvW server ranking.

Its only effect on the actual WvW servers is at the end of each ‘match’ – a ‘supply drop’ occurs on all the winning ‘color’ server’s home borderland (so if Green won, the Green server in every tier gets the supply drop).

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

Its only effect on the actual WvW servers is at the end of each ‘match’ – a ‘supply drop’ occurs on all the winning ‘color’ server’s home borderland (so if Green won, the Green server in every tier gets the supply drop).

like I care if my server will be better or worse in the game mode that I don’t like…

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: DHBM.7652

DHBM.7652

My question to this is what about the multiple overflows? say theres 3 EOTM maps in play. red wins EOTM map#1, blue wins on EOTM map #2, green wins on EOTM map #3…

does this mean red,blue, and green all get supply drops to there keeps?

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

My question to this is what about the multiple overflows? say theres 3 EOTM maps in play. red wins EOTM map#1, blue wins on EOTM map #2, green wins on EOTM map #3…

does this mean red,blue, and green all get supply drops to there keeps?

I believe the PPT for each color is cumulative across all overflow maps. This is currently based on the (relatively) small PPT I see on any individual map; I don’t see anything specific about this in either the Patch Notes or the Wiki.

I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

I don’t want to be rude but WvW < EotM.

ANet can remove WvW and replace it with EotM with same options (3 servers are green, 3 servers are blue etc.)

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kitsune.4280

Kitsune.4280

ANet can remove WvW

What for? There are lots of players that still enjoy borders more than EotM or enjoy both oldschool WvW and EotM. So why do you guys want to ruin their experience by taking out gamemode they like just because you consider that X>Y?

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

EotM is hands-down more fun than WvW in almost every imaginable way and is a glimpse into how normal WvW should have been implemented in the first place.

Why shouldn’t it pull away people? If people enjoy it more than WvW then I say “Mission Accomplished”.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

I like how the chief complaint of edge of the mists is that it’s so good wvw looks bad in comparison :P

Retired Leader of TTS

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ragnarok.4506

Ragnarok.4506

I play WvW and I still play WvW. I take no part in EotM, only for the easy AP. I play WvW for the glory of my server. EotM is all server combined, I don’t want to play for just being green. I like playing for my server in WvW.

Dhuum!! WvW/PvP ~ Jade Quarry ~ [Kazo]
God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals.
Ban the bots

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I play WvW and I still play WvW. I take no part in EotM, only for the easy AP. I play WvW for the glory of my server. EotM is all server combined, I don’t want to play for just being green. I like playing for my server in WvW.

That made me snort my soda.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Well give it a little bit. Rewards in EotM are fairly low, WvW XP income isn’t that high either, and you cannot select which zone you hit.

It’ll quiet down after a month or two. :P

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Slaptjip.4895

Slaptjip.4895

I am on Aurora Glade and love WvW. Sadly the server only rocks in WvW for an hour or 3 after reset. The rest of the week the server sucks very badly at WvW.

I almost considered a server switch however, with Eotm this will no longer be required.

Eotm to me is a nice mix of decent pve and WvW.

The overflow idea is nothing short of genuis. No longer do I have to play on a server where it is almost impossible to get a small group of 10 together.

I no longer play on AG WvW because it died and Eotm gave me a replacement far more superior anyway.

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

EotM has barely been out a week, so it’s early days to kitten how A-Net will be taking this forward or how it will affect vanilla WvW. But here’s my take on what I’ve seen so far

Pros:
If you are looking for World PvP, then now you can get in without having to worry about queues. Over flow ensures that you don’t have to wait.

You will always have enough people to achieve something. Get on EotM and look for the tag then go get started. Nice and easy for the not so experienced WPvPer.

Lots of Champs and lots of PvP means more than your average Vanilla WvW rewards. And Gosh! Peeps are getting precursors..

Nice new Map .. yeah, OK .. so lots of placing to fall to your death (and have you noticed that you now have to repair fall damage?) but c’mon .. it’s fun to punt someone over the Edge!

Cons:
Overflows are not Guild friendly. You want to run around WPvP with your friends? Well – let’s hope that you don’t all get put into different overflows..

I love the interaction you get on TS .. the sense of purpose it engenders, with dynamic tactical play, sheer adrenaline kicks it generates, out and out laughs that come from moments of pure madness. The fact that you get a bunch of diverse people from around the world interacting together because they are all on one common server. How’s that gonna work if each week, there are likely to be different servers working together. VOIP becomes a nightmare to manage! Get on TS? Which one?

So .. your Serve… hang on, that would be Colour Faction .. has captured that keep.. way over on the other side of the map! You want to upgrade it, nurture it, protect it.. erm .. no you don’t.. you flip it and move on .. no point hanging on to it because their zerg is gonna come and wipe you and you haven’t got a hope of getting back to protect it. You hate zergs? Well – welcome to Zerg v Zerg ..

You like GvG? Get ye to the Wastelands! You thought you got trolled on the BLs before? Wait till your nice friendly GvG is trolled by those EotM zergs (that’s if you can get your team all together in one overflow and your opponents manage the same).

And last but not least: Where’s my Dolly?

Edit: Just so you know.. kitten E S S is not an expletive :-)

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Pros: easy to karma/wexp train, lots of easy kills, better loot, no queue
Cons: lots of running if the comm is miles away. No reason to defend anything. Not guild friendly (but easy enough to get people in with a little organisation). TS is a real problem.
Maybe Anet should do a deal with TS and get a free TS server for each overflow or something….

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

Cons:
Overflows are not Guild friendly. You want to run around WPvP with your friends? Well – let’s hope that you don’t all get put into different overflows..

You do know you can taxi guild members into an overflow your on just like a PvE map right? You only run into a problem if the instance is full.

Retired Leader of TTS

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

You do know you can taxi guild members into an overflow your on just like a PvE map right? You only run into a problem if the instance is full.

True, but for my guild this take about 10min to complete each time. Its not that big of a deal, but still. And after that we form party, if all our party are full and someone want to get in, in the middle of our raid then its not as simple as with normal WvW. Overall these are minor problem, but they exist.

Anyway for me EotM combat is way less fun for guild. You fight in continue against wave and wave of pugs. We fight until we don’t have any CD and we run to recharge all, before going in again. But EotM is better that WvW when your server either Win without opposition or loss outmanned everywhere.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Vyx.8607

Vyx.8607

i’ve actually been having a lot more fun in WvW since EOTM came out since it has thinned out the population and leads to a lot more small group fights (my preference). That said, options are good, and it’s terrific that EOTM has a significantly different flavor than WvW so people can go to one option or the other when they tired of their current one.

Henge of Denravi – Denravi Alliance [DA]
WvW Community: Forums, Videos, GvG – http://www.gw2wvw.net

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Meadfreek.6789

Meadfreek.6789

What do these “supply drops” consist of?

Mead
Tol Acharn [PHNX]
Fort Aspenwood

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: class.4802

class.4802

I think most people don’t care about winning or losing in wvw… mainly because it doesn’t matter. I think adding rewards or achievement for number of wins would help. The system as it is makes keeping scores in off-season useless.

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Around the beginning of April?

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

What do these “supply drops” consist of?

I believe its just 400 supply at the new spawn in the home Citadel. I’ve not seen it (or see actual notes anywhere yet), so not certain about the amount.

Around the beginning of April?

By then its possible that all five WvW maps will instance and overflow like EoTM; Perhaps shortly after. Borrowing a bit from my other post in the WvW subforum (regarding the rebalance of higher tiers):

1) The WvW maps could become one set of (Color) Borderlands, EB and OS, which would share and spawn overflows like EotM does now.
2) Servers are assigned colors on a rotating basis each week (to continue to make Map Completion viable).

No need for Glicko or ranking anymore. Just have all the servers on that ‘color’ which win, earn the expected number of bonus chests (perhaps gain some other bonuses).

I’m a bit torn about this, if they go forward with it.

(edited by Sungak Alkandenes.1369)

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

ANet has to get finally get rid of the silly 3 borderland design and merge the 3 maps to 1 single big map.

This would reduce the issues around the mismatch problems. I don’t say it would solve them, but at least reduce the problem cause more people would play on the same maps and not on different maps that areal the same.

its also just play very uncreative for GW2’s WvW to have the same map 3 times, when just 1 huge map would be more than enough basically trippling the amount of players that can beon the same map on a giant map of the size that had the 3 borderland maps together (which will have then even a size, where you could say, on such a map of that size would make even mounts sense for WvW as some kind of temporary thing that you can get for badges of honour or permanent for a huge amount of badges of honor to have some kind of long term goal in WvW)

Mergign the 3 borderlands together could also make up space for more new WvW Maps… WvW needs more new maps in future, to stay fresh, other thsan just only borderlands and the eternal battlegrounds.

I see Edge of the Mists not as a real map, because of it beign an overflow server that just mixes all servers wildly together to battle against where servers, that normally would be your enemies are out of a sudden your allies, only because of both worlds beign for a week of the same colors maybe…. its basically anets permanent new testing ground – they even say thsi self to the map in the official weiki about the EotM, that they will use the map in future as testing ares for new features, before these thigns might find their ways into the other real WvW Maps

WvW is imo still a gameplay mode, that just uses only in my opinion right now maybe 15% of 100 of its maximum potential that this gameplay mode has.
Theres alot of things WvW could/should get improved with.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Vyx.8607

Vyx.8607

I don’t see a reason to create a single big mega-map. What’s wrong with the 4 map mechanic now?

Also there’s nothing wrong with having the same map 3 times. Look at EB, each side is a bit different and it’s unbalanced to a degree (OL being able to treb SM vs requiring Klovan/Durios). Trying to balance terrain features would be horrific if all 3 BLs were different. I like that each BL is the same to give the same pros and cons to all regardless what color you are that week.

Henge of Denravi – Denravi Alliance [DA]
WvW Community: Forums, Videos, GvG – http://www.gw2wvw.net

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Yeah originally I was all for EOTM, but then a few days before the update actually came, I was like, oh fudge… that will mean a lot less players in WvW, and will literally force people to end up having to like and play EOTM with the majority of players going there instead.

As a player who only likes playing elementalist and guardian, it’s squishy enough as it is playing a staff ele with an abysmal health pool… let alone only being able to pummel enemies from afar – and even being safe from a distance, if it’s not damage from players (which I can avoid most of the time if I’m far away), it’s the huge amounts of retaliation damage that gets you. And when I play guardian, I don’t have the shear power or AOE that elementalist spells have, so when I go to EOTM, my only two options really are:

Elementalist – stay far away and blast enemies from a distance whilst also healing as much as possible with all the retaliation damage and run like forest gump when there’s a blob coming my way or else get an almost instant k.o.

Guardian – able to withstand zergs and blobs most of the time, but not being able to do as much damage as the elementalist.

It’s a bit of a dilemma for me, and I have noticed a big dip in numbers in normal WvW, and sadly EOTM is the culprit.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Scarran.9845

Scarran.9845

The only issue I have is because the EOTM is on a short timer and you can easily dive between overflows its turned into the “who cares” map. You yell out that the keep is getting taken and all of a sudden its responses of “who cares, we will take it back shortly”.

Or they are taking everything near our spawn point “who cares, we are losing anyway might aswell farm for bags”. So altho it is a new WvW map it’s not a serious WvW map and you need to really take it that way, all the serious business is in normal WvW maps.

I hated EOTM when it first released but now ive taken the attitude of its just another place to be to fight enemy, pass time for some fun without all the serious business and don’t care about if they are taking points as no-one else really does. Get as much loot and badges as you can and then when you are wanting a more organised and serious time of it then head into the normal map and do that. Now im having alot more fun in EOTM but I will be glad when they fix the name issue of allies.

Axere – lvl 80 Necro
Nemmeister – lvl 80 Engineer
Jay Knot – lvl 80 Warrior | Rusty Colt – lvl 80 Thief

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

The only issue I have is because the EOTM is on a short timer and you can easily dive between overflows its turned into the “who cares” map. You yell out that the keep is getting taken and all of a sudden its responses of “who cares, we will take it back shortly”.

You forget that taking an objective gives more rewards than defending. So yeah, if the enemy is attacking what’s yours, you might as well just take another objective during that time and then go back later.

The end of regular WvWvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zemarca.6218

Zemarca.6218

The sad part is that they have yet to tackle the zerg problem. I was hoping that the new map would have some mechanics that would spread people out but it doesnt. I like smaller groups in my WVW because it feels more tactical. So the new map is just that a new map for 3 zergs to run a round in a circle flipping objectives.
The first time I jumped in to EOTM the first thing I saw in map chat was “Where is the zerg at” this bothers me because that is the most effective and most simple thing for people to do(mindless). Get in a large zerg and spam your 1 key. I have dont plenty of organized zergs where the commander tells everyone what to do in TS ( Stack, plow through, etc) but its not tactical for me personally just the commander. I just feel like I am doing a simon says game, commander says hit green so I hit green there is no thinking on my part not like there is in SPVP.

I am still waiting for the day that they make defending and smaller groups more effective than a large zerg. But I have a feeling I will have lost interest by then since I am slowly logging in less each week already.

ANet please find a solution:
make siege more devastating to large groups.
make defending more valuable (give rewards for each hour of holding a keep?)
remove waypoint in Bay/Hills/Garrison
make objectives multi-pronged you have to be in two (or more) spots to take an objective. Or you have to take this tower and that camp first in order to take castle.