AFKing in LA

AFKing in LA

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Anet would have to create a new afk detection system which uses a shorter time interval. Right now I think it’s like 10 minutes or something which is like half of the event. They can’t just kick anyone who is motionless for 30 seconds. What if people need to pee?

You obviously haven’t tried to wait out the timer after finishing Sanctum Sprint….

AFKing in LA

Sariel V.7024

Maybe people should get over themselves and learn to mind their own business.

So, you’re one of the leeches.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I dunno which is worse, people who afk or people who whines and gets mad at other people for not playing how they want them to.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Unfortunately there is no solution to this that I can think of with the current system in place

You cannot differentiate between people who intentionally AFK and those who have an emergency or bathroom break.

In the future, Anet should stay away from handing out map rewards. They should instead give everyone ‘token’ rewards from killing mobs, or rewarding radius karma to those rescuing citizens.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Unfortunately there is no solution to this that I can think of with the current system in place

You cannot differentiate between people who intentionally AFK and those who have an emergency or bathroom break.

In the future, Anet should stay away from handing out map rewards. They should instead give everyone ‘token’ rewards from killing mobs, or rewarding radius karma to those rescuing citizens.

^this.. I just hope they learn from this design fail.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Given the fact that afk-ing is allready disgusting (but allowed) I would vote for a suspension of several weeks for the first offense (till this living story is over).

“Since you were following the law, the rest of us are just going to agree to put you in jail.”

This is some real third world democracy kitten right here. I guess disgust is a relative thing. Thankfully, I don’t think Anet has any intention of doing anything this monumentally stupid.

Please when quoting don’t pull it out of context. Specially if you are showing not understanding at all what I was saying.

AFK-ing in LA is allowed (its disgustingbehaviour but allowed). If you however are trying to circumvent auto-kicks for AFK-ing you are exploiting. This is allready not allowed. Cause the goal is something really disgusting I’m saying to punish ther disallowed behaviour (the exploiting) heavier then normally would be the case.

Actually, it isn’t heavier, on exploiting the punishment is lifetime, but I think that would be too harsh.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I do think the afk-timer should be limited to 5 minutes (including the 1 minute warning). Every action to bypass this auto-kick would be an exploit.

Under that rule, everyone doing the event would be “exploiting”. You really don’t want to go in there.

The devs have now starting kicking and banning these afkers now so hopefully having a 72 hour timeout (should be longer IMHO) will teach them a lesson.

From what i hear they are suspending only those that used macros to keep themselves logged in.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

the bigger problem is
that much more of the players that dont help at the events are NOT the afk people but the people collecting heirlooms!

but you cant blame them to do so…they have to collect all 40 each day if they want both tonics (500 heirlooms)…

it is ANETs fault for making it like this…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

The vast majority of the items and wealth that I’ve gained from this event have been through the Supply Bags. Someone who is actively participating (whether through event zerg or citizen rescue) is going to wind up with a much larger heap of loot.

As lame as it is, I don’t have a great problem with folks being AFK and getting the 3-5 bags. My problem is that each map/overflow has a limited number of seats and those who are AFK for most of the event are holding back everyone else who is actively participating.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Everyone needs something different, and often times when it’s not what ‘you’ are doing, then it’s wrong. Which, is funny

Before Thursday, if you were saving civilians, then you were being selfish, because of course, “we” are doing achievements now.

After Saturday, if you spend ‘any’ run looking for heirlooms, especially if it was on a run when “we/I” weren’t/wasn’t looking for heirlooms, then you are selfish.

Starting Friday, if you are doing anything but saving civilians, you are selfish.

/raises hand

Never mind.

Collaborative.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

What? I’m not afk

Attachments:

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

I completely agree with you OP. Anet should learn from this experience. I don’t know if they can make changes for this ASAP, since they have to test the changes for bugs as well before releasing the update. But next time, please put personal flags and counters, make this function like multiple renown hearts for each player, or is this even possible, would this be server intensive?

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Anet should learn from this experience. I don’t know if they can make changes for this ASAP, since they have to test the changes for bugs as well before releasing the update. But next time, please put personal flags and counters, make this function like multiple renown hearts for each player, or is this even possible, would this be server intensive?

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

the bigger problem is
that much more of the players that dont help at the events are NOT the afk people but the people collecting heirlooms!

but you cant blame them to do so…they have to collect all 40 each day if they want both tonics (500 heirlooms)…

it is ANETs fault for making it like this…

I always post in /map that if you are collecting heirlooms to please encourage citizens as you run by. Do they listen? Eh, probably not, but even if I get 10-20 citizens moving that will help.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Anyone I saw AFK usually ended up dead….there did not seem to be many safe spots in LA….

There are plenty. Jumping puzzles are safe and you don’t get yelled at on the forums by people as most don’t go there.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

When are people noticing these people being AFK? I only ask because just before the end of the whole event, people obviously WP to the nearest exit and wait until they get the signal to evacuate. Some people get there early, it seems, having accomplished all they think they can that particular round. So they’re not AFK, and they have contributed. Are people going to vote to auto-ban these people now? That seems extreme.

A little context is useful in this situation. But unfortunately, just reporting people who seem AFK doesn’t allow context to be relevant.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I love it when I see people I recognize from the forums afk’ing in LA. I giggle and screen cap it. Because I’m like that.

Have I gone afk in LA? Yes, just this morning, before work. I wanted to get 10 more heirlooms before work so I could get my halo today, but you know, have to shower, get family up and ready, wake up husband, make lunch, etc. I got my heirlooms, I signed out, GG to my wonderful server getting 1200 without my help (well, I killed a couple Aether’s here and there when I saw a citizen being attacked while they ran while I was walking by my screen.)

Do I think people who afk each and every run are kind of lame and such? Sure. Do I think everyone who afk’s in LA are terrible? No. Especially since now it’s difficult NOT to succeed on my server’s main LA and the first or second overflows. Really, I don’t see where all the complaints are coming from. I don’t see how you’re not able to get to 1200… when people are afking and still making the cut.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Believe whatever you want, but even twenty people AFKing in LA won’t ruin the event for you as long as the rest of them are spread out doing what they need to do

^^^^^^^^ This.

Given the amount of loot and the limited capacity of bags who’s to say folks that look like they are AFK have just stopped to sell item on the TP or dump mats to their bank, or salvage items to make more room, lots of possibilities that don’t include botting. Myself, I play on a game pad and if I need to chat I have to stop pull out my keyboard then go back to the game pad after I’m finished, But what difference does it make anyway? people stop to chat, look at the map, go to the bathroom or stop for a bite to eat.

From the looks of the volume of people playing I doubt even if they were just AFK to get free loot off of others work it’s hurting anyone, it’s better to just move along and do what your in the game to do and collect loot bags.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Jaher Dal.9503

Jaher Dal.9503

I have been pulling mobs to the afkers during the LA events, it is great fun.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

if they’re doing something without touching their keyboard, that’s botting. You can report for that.

He is talking about afk people-that’s not a reportable offense.

its griefing. i have missed 1200 by less than 100 several times. Easily would have had a few of them if not for 6-7 AFKers. They are purposely trying to ruin part of the event (Getting 1200 rescues) so they are griefing which can be reported.

Are you insane? 6-7 AFK have no effect on the event at all. You realize that there are a finite number of civilians, right? Those 6-7 could have helped at one civi spot, but so could any handful of people. They’re doing no less or more good standing around than if they were running mindlessly with the zergs.

A handful of people are not impacting your ability to get 100 rescues. The event can easily support (20) people picking their nose afk. It just means too many people are concentrating on bags and not enough people on civs.

Better luck next time.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

AFKing in LA

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

if they’re doing something without touching their keyboard, that’s botting. You can report for that.

its griefing. i have missed 1200 by less than 100 several times. Easily would have had a few of them if not for 6-7 AFKers. They are purposely trying to ruin part of the event (Getting 1200 rescues) so they are griefing which can be reported.

Are you insane? 6-7 AFK have no effect on the event at all. You realize that there are a finite number of civilians, right? Those 6-7 could have helped at one civi spot, but so could any handful of people. They’re doing no less or more good standing around than if they were running mindlessly with the zergs.

A handful of people are not impacting your ability to get 100 rescues. The event can easily support (20) people picking their nose afk. It just means too many people are concentrating on bags and not enough people on civs.

Better luck next time.

6 or 7 people can easily be keeping a path clear. Besides they are not doing anything in LA but leech, why should they get anything according to you? They can just be removed from LA, no asking them to be removed from the game or anything.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Better luck next time.

6 or 7 people can easily be keeping a path clear. Besides they are not doing anything in LA but leech, why should they get anything according to you? They can just be removed from LA, no asking them to be removed from the game or anything.

They’re getting something because Anet designed it that way. Blame anet.

AFKing in LA

Sariel V.7024

Actually, they’re getting something because there are no good solutions that work at a programmed level. Computers can’t read intent. I’m also not sure why you think Anet should get the blame for players being bad people.

AFKing in LA

aspirine.6852

Better luck next time.

They’re getting something because Anet designed it that way. Blame anet.

I blame Anet for lots of things, but not for their players acting lame.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Or you guys just dislike people who afk in general?

AFKing in LA

Sariel V.7024

Banning people for AFKing won’t work as, like Silent Avenger said, innocent people get caught in the crossfire. Maybe they stopped to manically sort out inventory space (that’s what usually causes me to stop for a while), or maybe they needed a bathroom break or the baby woke up etc.

I have a constant problem with having to salvage everything I pick up, thanks to accumulating crap like a packrat. It’s still only a matter of seconds, and I can do it while I autoattack if I’m careful. Same with TPing.

I have to agree that banning is a bit harsh in these circumstances unless you’ve proven that you’re doing this repeatedly. Getting kicked out is a different animal. If whatever took you away from the keyboard ran longer than 5 minutes, then you should have left of your own volition anyways.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

So, you’re one of the leeches.

Yup, I’m a leech. I hang out by the ruins of the forge doing the Dolyaks, the Children, defending the Trader’s Forum and occasionally Miasma over and over again. Sometimes I run up to the BLTC building to encourage traders when there’s a lull. Otherwise I just stand there by the forge watching the city burn.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Better luck next time.

Because it’s not your business, nor mine, what they do or don’t do. That’s why.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Definitely an AFKer problem. My OF was at 1050 with 1min left, and we were scrambling to get to 1200. Lo and behold a whole group of people just AFKing. Luckily there were enough of us left to hit 1200 before everyone died, but it sucks that the AFKers get those rewards as well.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

AFKing in LA

aspirine.6852

Better luck next time.

They ruining the event for me, and/or for atleast 7 others who cannot get into the server. That kinda would make it my business.

AFKing in LA

Lilith Ajit.6173

Better luck next time.

They ruining the event for me, and/or for atleast 7 others who cannot get into the server. That kinda would make it my business.

…I recommend getting in first to your server then.

Honestly, even on my super huge server, if I try to enter the event right at the beginning or within 15 minutes I can usually eventually taxi in. There’s really no reason you can’t get into your server’s lions arch if you are right there as soon as the opening event finishes.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Better luck next time.

If 6-7 people have so much power they’re ruining the entire event for you, you have completely different issues that have nothing to do with AFKing.

What they’re not doing, though, is individually causing the event to fail. You can hold yourself and the other (150) people in the zone just as accountable for that.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

If they cant get on the main server there always are overflows. Most of the time overflows are more successful anyway in my experience.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Honestly, even on my super huge server, if I try to enter the event right at the beginning or within 15 minutes I can usually eventually taxi in. There’s really no reason you can’t get into your server’s lions arch if you are right there as soon as the opening event finishes.

That line of reasoning doesn’t work. It only works because not everyone is doing what you’re saying. If everyone, say 500 people on your server, followed your advice, the vast majority wouldn’t arrive on the main server.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Better luck next time.

Because they aren’t playing the way you want them to? People who aren’t contributing to your citizen count by solely doing heirloom runs or because they simply want to farm bags instead of aiming for the ultimate citizen supply should be just as accountable then.

AFKing in LA

aspirine.6852

Better luck next time.

If 6-7 people have so much power they’re ruining the entire event for you, you have completely different issues that have nothing to do with AFKing.

What they’re not, doing, though, is individually causing the event to fail. You can hold yourself and the other (150) people in the zone just as accountable for that.

Yes lets blame the people who try instead of the ones that don’t.

AFKing in LA

Lilith Ajit.6173

That line of reasoning doesn’t work. It only works because not everyone is doing what you’re saying. If everyone, say 500 people on your server, followed your advice, the vast majority wouldn’t arrive on the main server.

So what you’re saying is, people aren’t trying to get into main LA and I’m just a strange hiccup? I know for a fact that people are constantly trying to get into LA main. My entire guild has been able to ferry in (while sitting still in overflows) by spamming join. It’s something hundreds of people are doing, and yes, eventually it’s too late and you can’t get in.

Anyway, at peak times, enter through blood tide coast. It pops earlier than gendarran. Right before it ends be at the portal. The second event finishes jump in.

I’ve not failed to get into TC LA once while trying, is my point.

[ARES]

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Sophiera.1209

Sophiera.1209

6-7 people? More like 20-50 people. There are stacks of Afkers at the north and south entrances, and more hiding in forts and holes.

To makes things worse, there’s zerg ball that farm blades at Dolyak+children from the start to the end (why would they want 20 stacks of blade shards?).

When the blob moves to a miasma event, the scaling makes it near impossible to complete.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

So what you’re saying is, people aren’t trying to get into main LA and I’m just a strange hiccup? I know for a fact that people are constantly trying to get into LA main. My entire guild has been able to ferry in (while sitting still in overflows) by spamming join. It’s something hundreds of people are doing, and yes, eventually it’s too late and you can’t get in.

Anyway, at peak times, enter through blood tide coast. It pops earlier than gendarran. Right before it ends be at the portal. The second event finishes jump in.

People are probably not spamming join after it failed once. The only extra places on the main server that’ll pop up after it failed once, are the ones caused by disconnecting people. I’m not playing the content anymore (because I think it sucks), but I have it on good authority that the best way to get on your main server is to log off at xx:50 in a previous run, and change back to the character at xx:05

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Better luck next time.

What they’re not, doing, though, is individually causing the event to fail. You can hold yourself and the other (150) people in the zone just as accountable for that.

Are they? Are you? I know I’m not. I put very little effort into making sure we get enough civs. As I said before I spend my time collecting bags in the Trader’s Forum. I usually get 60-80 bags if I’m doing well. So it makes no real difference if we make 1200 cause we always get 900. 5 bags and the Ultimate bag don’t bother me all that much.

Of course in the five or six runs I did yesterday we only failed once, but we failed hard. Far harder than 6-7 people could account for. We were still 50 shy of the mark at the end when it’s usually 150 over.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

So yesterday I played about 7 hrs, in first couple of sessions I helped save citizens and we pop’d 1200 twice in a row, took a little break to finish dailys and the next session I ran with the zerg stopping at rubble piles and saving citizens as I came across them and we it 1200 again, I had one escort mission left to accomplish which was the lighthouse, so next session I went right to the lighthouse and waited for it to pop, first attempt I was by myself and the event failed, go back and wait, next pop and I was still by myself and you guessed it failed again, I go back and wait a couple other players show up and it pops again this time it was successful and I finished my achievements got the 100 bag reward.

I might have looked to the casual observer that I was AFK because I was waiting for the one event that I needed to complete my achievements, but unless you stayed there for the time it took for the event to pop again you’d never know, the added bonus is we hit 1200 yet again right as I was running for the exit, we did seem to have a good crew yesterday explaining in chat that saving citizens was more important than farming champs and I noticed many more people taking the time to rez/escort/encourage citizens than I saw in the first couple days and of course this was in one of the overflow maps.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

6-7 people? More like 20-50 people. There are stacks of Afkers at the north and south entrances, and more hiding in forts and holes.

To makes things worse, there’s zerg ball that farm blades at Dolyak+children from the start to the end (why would they want 20 stacks of blade shards?).

When the blob moves to a miasma event, the scaling makes it near impossible to complete.

Now that’s gonna make you fail. I highly question its accuracy, but it would do it. Personally I don’t see the point of 4 crap backs, one ultimate bag which is just a crap bag with a chance to get something that might be cool, and 25 event bags.

Sure, you’re afk so you’re probably not “wasting” your time, but it just doesn’t seem worth even the no effort being put in.

AFKing in LA

Lilith Ajit.6173

People are probably not spamming join after it failed once. The only extra places on the main server that’ll pop up after it failed once, are the ones caused by disconnecting people. I’m not playing the content anymore (because I think it sucks), but I have it on good authority that the best way to get on your main server is to log off at xx:50 in a previous run, and change back to the character at xx:05

At the bolded: exactly. That’s my point. They aren’t trying hard enough if they are saying they can’t get in.

At the rest, I’m not sure if that’s actually true, but i will say it is bordering on exploitation territory and I will not try it for that reason.

[ARES]

AFKing in LA

Sophiera.1209

Now that’s gonna make you fail. I highly question its accuracy, but it would do it. Personally I don’t see the point of 4 crap backs, one ultimate bag which is just a crap bag with a chance to get something that might be cool, and 25 event bags.

Sure, you’re afk so you’re probably not “wasting” your time, but it just doesn’t seem worth even the no effort being put in.

It was about 20-30 minutes in. I walked through the gendaran entrance and what do I find? At least 10 Afkers. And friends talked about various hiding spots people have found to hide themselves in too.

AFKing in LA

aspirine.6852

Better luck next time.

Because they aren’t playing the way you want them to? People who aren’t contributing to your citizen count by solely doing heirloom runs or because they simply want to farm bags instead of aiming for the ultimate citizen supply should be just as accountable then.

No because they are not playing at all.
I do not care if you want your heirlooms, want to zerg or just want to get the vista’s. If you are doing something but standing still at the entrance I do not mind at all.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: WiredRogue.6598

WiredRogue.6598

Any global reward that doesn’t require continuous engagement encourages the laziest to be themselves.

It’s more an issue with the reward mechanics and achievement structure. It was bound to happen that the leechers would find a happy place in L.A.

But I’ve had a lot of fun in L.A. and the rewards are just icing to me.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I do not care if you want your heirlooms, want to zerg or just want to get the vista’s. If you are doing something but standing still at the entrance I do not mind at all.

Exactly true, they’re not playing the game they’re merely taking up space in it and each person doing that that does harm the overall group effort a bit.

If it was just 1 or 2 you won’t notice them, but the more people doing it the worse it is.

AFKing in LA

Sophiera.1209

So, so, so, so many times we’ve failed the event by 50 people….

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Better luck next time.

People who aren’t playing at all would be kicked out of the event anyway. If they are using 3rd party programs to bypass that then they deserve to be penalized. But how do we know the intentions of afkers? So you’d rather generalize negatively everyone who afks in LA and punish them all?

Anet should’ve designed the event better.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I think it would be easier to have goals in the instance. For example, if you don’t rescue a civ/particpate in an event/encourage a soldier at least once every 5 mins then you get kicked.

Or perhaps they can add a better mechanic, such as someone hauls you out thinking you’re a ‘scared citizen’ needing ‘encouragement’.

So, “If you don’t focus entirely on civilians, you aren’t allowed to play.” BRILLIANT. Considering you know, people need blade shards for the backpiece (If they want) or heirlooms for those alliance boxes or the potions. Or what if they are staying in a zone to get the defend achievements?

Better luck next time.

Yes, let’s scream at the people sitting by the entrance who are in no way causing events to scale up and fail. Who are in no way requiring you sit there staring at them instead of rescuing civilians. Or other things. If you got a crowd focused on civilians, hell in SF we managed to break 1200 in one match, 900 in another AT the Miasma bar maxed (but before Magnus screamed to run away). And we were 100 to 100+ short but still broke both of them.

Really, as said, then you boil into “INTENT”. What if say a person is used to an unnaturally long loading time, started it, went “Well, sucks but in this type of situation I can expect 5 minutes wait.” so he runs to get a quick sandwhich and drink, but in this case he actually loads in 2-3 minutes in. He don’t know that.

Or suddenly had an important phone call that was unexpected. Or had to run and help their little kid. Besides going “We can tell you were using some sort of macro/thing to keep yourself in past an AFK auto log-out” you can’t tell intent or reason behind AFK. Sure, SOME 100% are doing that simply to not do anything but get rewards. But can you be sure every single one is?