AFKing in LA

AFKing in LA

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

It’s how this event is designed that’s causing all the whining. I know some people who log in to guild wars 2 just to chat. But since this event rewards you without actually participating, she decides to chat in LA instead. She’s playing the game, just not the way you want her to.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

AFKing in LA

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I have been pulling mobs to the afkers during the LA events, it is great fun.

I have to admit to doing this evil myself. I revived a dude three times before I realized he was afk… yah I’m a bit slow. After that, I’ve started dragging trash over to them when I find them

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

if they’re doing something without touching their keyboard, that’s botting. You can report for that.

He is talking about afk people-that’s not a reportable offense.

its griefing. i have missed 1200 by less than 100 several times. Easily would have had a few of them if not for 6-7 AFKers. They are purposely trying to ruin part of the event (Getting 1200 rescues) so they are griefing which can be reported.

Are you insane? 6-7 AFK have no effect on the event at all. You realize that there are a finite number of civilians, right? Those 6-7 could have helped at one civi spot, but so could any handful of people. They’re doing no less or more good standing around than if they were running mindlessly with the zergs.

A handful of people are not impacting your ability to get 100 rescues. The event can easily support (20) people picking their nose afk. It just means too many people are concentrating on bags and not enough people on civs.

Better luck next time.

6 or 7 people can easily be keeping a path clear. Besides they are not doing anything in LA but leech, why should they get anything according to you? They can just be removed from LA, no asking them to be removed from the game or anything.

Because it’s not your business, nor mine, what they do or don’t do. That’s why.

They ruining the event for me, and/or for atleast 7 others who cannot get into the server. That kinda would make it my business.

Because they aren’t playing the way you want them to? People who aren’t contributing to your citizen count by solely doing heirloom runs or because they simply want to farm bags instead of aiming for the ultimate citizen supply should be just as accountable then.

No because they are not playing at all.
I do not care if you want your heirlooms, want to zerg or just want to get the vista’s. If you are doing something but standing still at the entrance I do not mind at all.

People who aren’t playing at all would be kicked out of the event anyway. If they are using 3rd party programs to bypass that then they deserve to be penalized. But how do we know the intentions of afkers? So you’d rather generalize negatively everyone who afks in LA and punish them all?

Anet should’ve designed the event better.

The event is only 45 minutes. You won’t be auto kicked within 45 minutes, so no, they would not be kicked and have no need of botting of any form to accomplish it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

I have to admit to doing this evil myself. I revived a dude three times before I realized he was afk… yah I’m a bit slow. After that, I’ve started dragging trash over to them when I find them

That’s griefing. -_- How do you know that that person went AFK because he just wants to leech or is doing something important IRL?

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

if they’re doing something without touching their keyboard, that’s botting. You can report for that.

He is talking about afk people-that’s not a reportable offense.

its griefing. i have missed 1200 by less than 100 several times. Easily would have had a few of them if not for 6-7 AFKers. They are purposely trying to ruin part of the event (Getting 1200 rescues) so they are griefing which can be reported.

Are you insane? 6-7 AFK have no effect on the event at all. You realize that there are a finite number of civilians, right? Those 6-7 could have helped at one civi spot, but so could any handful of people. They’re doing no less or more good standing around than if they were running mindlessly with the zergs.

A handful of people are not impacting your ability to get 100 rescues. The event can easily support (20) people picking their nose afk. It just means too many people are concentrating on bags and not enough people on civs.

Better luck next time.

6 or 7 people can easily be keeping a path clear. Besides they are not doing anything in LA but leech, why should they get anything according to you? They can just be removed from LA, no asking them to be removed from the game or anything.

Because it’s not your business, nor mine, what they do or don’t do. That’s why.

They ruining the event for me, and/or for atleast 7 others who cannot get into the server. That kinda would make it my business.

Because they aren’t playing the way you want them to? People who aren’t contributing to your citizen count by solely doing heirloom runs or because they simply want to farm bags instead of aiming for the ultimate citizen supply should be just as accountable then.

No because they are not playing at all.
I do not care if you want your heirlooms, want to zerg or just want to get the vista’s. If you are doing something but standing still at the entrance I do not mind at all.

People who aren’t playing at all would be kicked out of the event anyway. If they are using 3rd party programs to bypass that then they deserve to be penalized. But how do we know the intentions of afkers? So you’d rather generalize negatively everyone who afks in LA and punish them all?

The event is only 45 minutes. You won’t be auto kicked within 45 minutes, so no, they would not be kicked and have no need of botting of any form to accomplish it.

Someone mentioned that the people who got penalized for going afk were the ones who used 3pp to bypass the autokick system. I dunno how true that is but if you really can’t be kicked for 45 min while afk then I dunno how Anet actually chooses the accounts to suspend. :/ Which is worse imho since just being afk is a vague criteria to warrant a sanction.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

That’s griefing. -_- How do you know that that person went AFK because he just wants to leech or is doing something important IRL?

How do you know he’s not going to thank you and run off to play after you revive him?

AFKing in LA

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

suspending an account just because you’re standing still is pretty much against there own agreement, you have the right to play a game the way you like it and if it’s by standing still then that’s the players choice.
it’s actually simple, if they are allowed to ban a player for a period of time just to stand still in an event then they should do the same to QD zergs, let’s see how “good” it is when that happens.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

How do you know he’s not going to thank you and run off to play after you revive him?

Wut?

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

That I definitely agree with, I’m hoping they see this and take it into account in the future.

AFKing should never be “profitable”, IMO, especially where it impacts on active players (in SPVP and activities are the most obvious examples).

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Basket of Boxes.1976

Basket of Boxes.1976

Any global reward that doesn’t require continuous engagement encourages the laziest to be themselves.

It’s more an issue with the reward mechanics and achievement structure. It was bound to happen that the leechers would find a happy place in L.A.

But I’ve had a lot of fun in L.A. and the rewards are just icing to me.

This is the true cause behind the problem. The real way to fix the problem is to make it so that you have to actually participate in the event to receive the reward. I would think its possible to make it so you need to at the very least encourage a civilian to get credit for the group chest or kill a few enemies.

I have had a few cases where something has come up and I have afk’d half the event but if I actually needed to do something to get the chest I would have just logged out and made room for someone else. Also no macro is needed to avoid getting kicked for this event, it isn’t long enough to trigger the auto kick and most of the afks check back every once and a while anyway.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Leeching in this circumstance is not griefing – if they were actually trying to make you fail it would be (albeit incredibly hard to prove), but it helps them if you make 1200 as well. They just don’t want to work for it.

Sorry, it IS griefing, or more specifically, leeching which was a reportable offense in GW1 and should be here as well. The devs have now starting kicking and banning these afkers now so hopefully having a 72 hour timeout (should be longer IMHO) will teach them a lesson.
In LA this evening, I counted 28 afkers at a single gate! It’s out of hand, so I fully support having these leechers suspended. If you have to leave to do something else, just waypoint out so another player who actually wants to PLAY the game can take your place. Why should a whole server suffer because a hand full of players want to be lazy and leech off of the efforts of everyone else?

Griefing is where you have the intent to cause harm to other players. Being lazy or being afk does not equate to this. Griefing would be me intentionally training risen to the NPC at the Grenth event or running mobs to the beginning to “punish” afk players.

AFKing in LA

Ayrilana.1396

the bigger problem is
that much more of the players that dont help at the events are NOT the afk people but the people collecting heirlooms!

but you cant blame them to do so…they have to collect all 40 each day if they want both tonics (500 heirlooms)…

it is ANETs fault for making it like this…

I also want to make the correction that this is only an issue the first few hours after reset at most. It only takes 30 minutes to get all 40 on average. The last several times that I have played, we always failed to hit 1200 right after reset but then went back to hitting it from the next one and onward.

AFKing in LA

Ayrilana.1396

Any global reward that doesn’t require continuous engagement encourages the laziest to be themselves.

It’s more an issue with the reward mechanics and achievement structure. It was bound to happen that the leechers would find a happy place in L.A.

This is the true cause behind the problem. The real way to fix the problem is to make it so that you have to actually participate in the event to receive the reward. I would think its possible to make it so you need to at the very least encourage a civilian to get credit for the group chest or kill a few enemies.

I have had a few cases where something has come up and I have afk’d half the event but if I actually needed to do something to get the chest I would have just logged out and made room for someone else. Also no macro is needed to avoid getting kicked for this event, it isn’t long enough to trigger the auto kick and most of the afks check back every once and a while anyway.

What would the threshold be then? It’s very easy for a player to spend two minutes to tag a few NPC’s to get credit for an event or encourage a few NPC’s.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

What would the threshold be then? It’s very easy for a player to spend two minutes to tag a few NPC’s to get credit for an event or encourage a few NPC’s.

uhmmm, that’s what zergs do for the past 9 months, what’s the difference?

AFKing in LA

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

the bigger problem is
that much more of the players that dont help at the events are NOT the afk people but the people collecting heirlooms!

but you cant blame them to do so…they have to collect all 40 each day if they want both tonics (500 heirlooms)…

I also want to make the correction that this is only an issue the first few hours after reset at most. It only takes 30 minutes to get all 40 on average. The last several times that I have played, we always failed to hit 1200 right after reset but then went back to hitting it from the next one and onward.

But that circles right back to my point. You assume that everyone is doing things when you do them and the way that you do them. So by your criteria, if I don’t play with you right at reset every day, and get my heirlooms then, but rather do it at another time, then I’m a terrible person and deserve my own plane of hell? :|

On Sunday, I sat around Fort Mariner, on 3 different servers, through 2 passes on each server, because I ‘really’ wanted the last achievement (Fort Mariner Fighter, I think it’s called). I just stood there. I didn’t want to miss it. One time when trying to do an event, I’d stray too far, and not get back in time. At any rate, the event never even started once, until the very last time. Finally got it.

Now, you probably got yours on Tuesday, as soon as it went live, and any time after you get all your stuff, well times up, we shouldn’t be working on that, because you are done with that, and now you want 1200, so we should all be doing that?

I think there are two topics rolled into one here.

If someone steps in the portal and stands there for 45 minutes, that’s bad, and that’s what this post should be about.

If you see someone afk out on a bridge somewhere, and they died, and you rez them, and they die again, so you think that’s funny, and you keep rezzing them and letting them die and roll up a hefty repair bill, then you are a donkey fedora.

If someone is standing around Fort Mariner, maybe they are waiting and waiting and waiting to make sure they get all the events done there to get their achievement.

If you see someone loitering around the exit in the last 5 minutes, maybe in their mind, there is no point in continuing. Everything is done, elites are gone, you have 901 citizens, you aren’t going to get 1200, and they don’t think your idea of fighting until you are dead and your repair bill is 2,000 gold “because you can keep fighting after it’s over and get it” is very good, well there’s nothing wrong with that either. They maybe worked hard, or as hard as they could for 40 minutes and then just went to the portal for the last 5 to wait to get the reward and get out.

So if this thread is about someone walking into the area, and standing there for 45 minutes, then that is a problem. But there are ‘so’ many things going on beyond that when you come across someone standing somewhere that’s nearly anything shy of that, that has ‘nothing’ to do with you, and none of them owe you an explanation, Bob .

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

I found someone downed at a particularly dangerous location so after mostly clearing the area I revived him. The toon didn’t move, and there was no other indication that there was anyone behind the wheel. So I opted to spend some time letting the toon die and be revived several times. The gift of an entirely broken set of armor.

AFKing in LA

Ayrilana.1396

uhmmm, that’s what zergs do for the past 9 months, what’s the difference?

I believe you quoted the wrong person as your response has nothing to do with my post.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

What if I like playing the TP.. and instead of doing it in Gendarran fields, I decided to do it in LA for 45 minutes? Is there a list somewhere on where flipping is allowed or not in pve?

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I went AFK right at the portal precisely one time… My GF and I were having a heated “discussion” that warranted my immediate attention, right after I earned my second group bag. I sat the rest of the time at the portal. Came back at “resurrection beach” lol

AFKing in LA

Ayrilana.1396

the bigger problem is

But that circles right back to my point. You assume that everyone is doing things when you do them and the way that you do them. So by your criteria, if I don’t play with you right at reset every day, and get my heirlooms then, but rather do it at another time, then I’m a terrible person and deserve my own plane of hell? :|

On Sunday, I sat around Fort Mariner, on 3 different servers, through 2 passes on each server, because I ‘really’ wanted the last achievement (Fort Mariner Fighter, I think it’s called). I just stood there. I didn’t want to miss it. One time when trying to do an event, I’d stray too far, and not get back in time. At any rate, the event never even started once, until the very last time. Finally got it.

Now, you probably got yours on Tuesday, as soon as it went live, and any time after you get all your stuff, well times up, we shouldn’t be working on that, because you are done with that, and now you want 1200, so we should all be doing that?

I think there are two topics rolled into one here.

If someone steps in the portal and stands there for 45 minutes, that’s bad, and that’s what this post should be about.

If you see someone afk out on a bridge somewhere, and they died, and you rez them, and they die again, so you think that’s funny, and you keep rezzing them and letting them die and roll up a hefty repair bill, then you are a donkey fedora.

If someone is standing around Fort Mariner, maybe they are waiting and waiting and waiting to make sure they get all the events done there to get their achievement.

If you see someone loitering around the exit in the last 5 minutes, maybe in their mind, there is no point in continuing. Everything is done, elites are gone, you have 901 citizens, you aren’t going to get 1200, and they don’t think your idea of fighting until you are dead and your repair bill is 2,000 gold “because you can keep fighting after it’s over and get it” is very good, well there’s nothing wrong with that either. They maybe worked hard, or as hard as they could for 40 minutes and then just went to the portal for the last 5 to wait to get the reward and get out.

So if this thread is about someone walking into the area, and standing there for 45 minutes, then that is a problem. But there are ‘so’ many things going on beyond that when you come across someone standing somewhere that’s nearly anything shy of that, that has ‘nothing’ to do with you, and none of them owe you an explanation, Bob .

First off. Please don’t go off and criticize me for saying people are bad for doing something outside of what they’re expect to be doing. NOWHERE did I criticize people for doing this and NOWHERE did I state they had to play a certain way. Stop insinuating things,creating strawman arguments, and read what is being posted.

Seriously? Where did I say it was okay to train mobs onto people that are AFK? By all means point it out. Blindly throwing random attacks or making up insults at someone does nothing but weaken your argument and look poorly on you.

I’m not going to address the rest of your post as it’s the same. Please read posts before you blindly post.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

They could stop this (unless these people are griefing) by adding in a personal requirement. Say having to rescue an “x” number of citizens and participate in “x” number of events to get the rewards. I think they should have done this in the first place as to give people some incentive as to not only zerg around or just rescue citizens.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Since I have been having extreme difficulty staying connected during the event, I have started to go into the lake. Where there is little traffic to “afk”. Mostly I fight my internet connection in the hopes that I can actually get enough found relics for the items. I do not succeed all the time and frequently get disconnected over and over again.

I’ve had people show up and immediately drag enemies to me. Which I then fight immediately. Half the time I disconnect when that starts up.

I am at my keyboard. I am “playing” the game. I am simply not contributing to the event itself as I cannot do so currently and it’s not your right to deny me access to the game.

If I could get enough relics SIMPLY by doing the daily rubble, then I wouldn’t even bother, but that’s not the case.

I have so far not gotten a “Full run” and not even close. Mostly because I cannot stay connected to a server and get dumped into an overflow with only 300 or so at the 45 minute mark.

So I personally dislike that Anet seems to be banning people for being afk, especially without even testing if they are indeed afk or not. If my account gets banned for my activity, I will most certainly raise one hell of a fuss.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

So I personally dislike that Anet seems to be banning people for being afk, especially without even testing if they are indeed afk or not. If my account gets banned for my activity, I will most certainly raise one hell of a fuss.

Sigh. Anet is doing no such thing. They are banning accounts using macros (almost always “illegal” in game) to circumvent the AFK disconnect time (60 mins). Furthermore, do you really think devs don’t check logs before enacting a ban? Why would you assume such a thing? I’ve reported tons of bots and have never seen them immediately disconnected, to borrow a smart example from earlier up-thread.

A closer reading of posts, especially from the first page where most of this has already been discussed and debunked, might save on the unnecessary drama. No one is getting banned at the moment for AFKing. OP expressed their desire for such a thing, and now it’s like a game of telephone. Hey I hear you get autopermabanned for dancing naked while afk dual wielding legendaries. Pass it on.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Cyvien.8049

Cyvien.8049

This is a kill-all strategy which both leechers and innocent players who just happened to have emergency to take care of are punished.
By employing this policy, other players have no gain but the gratification of seeing leechers or players with bad luck are not getting the fruit of their hard work.
However, in bad luck players’ case, it is extremely not fair if they had work harder than those who are actively moving around the map but doing very little, then fallen prey to afk due to some emergency (phone call, mom call, nature call, etc) and if they plan to come back in a little more than 5 min.

Human judgment are always faulty, thus we should let the program do its work, let it differentiate who is or not leeching base on a just algorithm. Let us discuss what this algorithm should look like maybe it will shred some insight for anet to deploy for future event.

I’m a scholar, thus I don’t take stance.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

People who’re AFK in the Escape From LA event bug me not because they aren’t doing anything but because there are probably at least a few folks on an Overflow who’d love to be on our home server as we clear 1200 citizens.

Otherwise they’re pretty harmless, though I’ll admit it’s a little frustrating when they use zone chat to tell us all that they are leeching.

We’re worse off when folks zerg around the escort events in the trade district and ignore citizens, locals, and guards that need evacuated or the miasma/defense events.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Sigh. Anet is doing no such thing. They are banning accounts using macros (almost always “illegal” in game) to circumvent the AFK disconnect time (60 mins). Furthermore, do you really think devs don’t check logs before enacting a ban? Why would you assume such a thing? I’ve reported tons of bots and have never seen them immediately disconnected, to borrow a smart example from earlier up-thread.

It isn’t just this thread. There is a post on reddit for example that specifically mentiones a dev that is actively banning players for being afk. There are a few more in the account issues section, and other posts in the general forum itself.

It may be true that all of these people are being legitimately banned, but the reddit post is the one with the most information leaving me to believe that it may actually be happening. Mostly because it has specific details.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

AFKing in LA

Ayrilana.1396

It isn’t just this thread. There is a post on reddit for example that specifically mentiones a dev that is actively banning players for being afk. There are a few more in the account issues section, and other posts in the general forum itself.

It may be true that all of these people are being legitimately banned, but the reddit post is the one with the most information leaving me to believe that it may actually be happening. Mostly because it has specific details.

They’re likely being banned because they’re using 3rd party programs. I looked at that reddit thread and saw zero evidence other than claims/accusations.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I found someone downed at a particularly dangerous location so after mostly clearing the area I revived him. The toon didn’t move, and there was no other indication that there was anyone behind the wheel. So I opted to spend some time letting the toon die and be revived several times. The gift of an entirely broken set of armor.

As Leo said, that IS griefing. You are purposefully doing something to ‘harm’ another player.

What if he suddenly had a little kid act up/need his attention (which I know for a fact can quickly go from “Oh, a minute” to “It’s been an hour”), or suddenly work/relative called with something VERY important?

Then he comes back from being unexpectedly called to RL for an unknown amount of time, and find his armor set entirely broken and a hefty repair bill because “HE WAS AFKING!”?

If he was in a dangerous zone, it’s very, very likely he got distracted/called away by RL instead of just “Afking to ‘leech’ rewards”.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

This entire thread is why ANet removed loot from other events.

And I HOPE they don’t do it again. There’s already so little that drops of good quality. But the problem isn’t the loot, or ANet, It’s the people who BLAME ANet.

I’m sure that a lot of people defending the AFKers in here have sat and done nothing themselves. Honestly, it’s not the people farming bags that are the problem – they’re performing a service, and that’s keeping the path clear for civilians to escape.

You all DO KNOW that civilians aren’t just rescued when you encourage them, right? You have to also get them to the gates. You know that, right?

So putting the blame on bag farmers is just ludicrous.

However, AFKers that are contributing nothing ARE the problem and should be kicked. If you’re kicked after 5 minutes because you were doing nothing… what do you care? Just go back in. It takes a full map to reach the quota of citizens. ANet has alreay downgraded the number BECAUSE of the people doing nothing in the event.

You don’t automatically assume that people are going to exploit your event. People are taking advantage of programming, and that is NOT ANet’s fault. This is essentially like blaming a mugging victim for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, rather than blaming the person who performed the mugging.

If you are taking advantage of this exploit, YOU are the problem. YOU, and no one else.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

And that is griefing.

Now when I found a guy downed in a dangerous area, cleared the area and revived him, and he didn’t move I actually hung out around him and did my best to keep mobs off him. He ended up getting space blasted into a somewhat safer area. I hung out until he dropped. Since you can’t be auto kicked for AFK during the event I have to assume he crashed. So rather than break all his gear for no good reason but to be a kitten to someone I know nothing about, I made sure when he logged in again he’s be alive and well.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Downgraded? If you are talking about the “500 to 300”, it was SUPPOSED to be 300. It was bugged and didn’t reward until 500. So that’s them just making the game reflect what they had said would happen.

I’m not defending people who sit there and do nothing besides gather in the rewards. I’m defending this universal blanket statement and griefing of ALL of the people who AFK/stay still for WHATEVER reason (RL, wanting to stay near a zone to be able to get the defend achievements, and yes, sitting around doing nothing but getting the rewards).

Also, Marionette fight was awesome because it didn’t clutter your inventory, and you got a LOT of loot for those cyphers when turning them in.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Downgraded? If you are talking about the “500 to 300”, it was SUPPOSED to be 300. It was bugged and didn’t reward until 500. So that’s them just making the game reflect what they had said would happen.

I’m not defending people who sit there and do nothing besides gather in the rewards. I’m defending this universal blanket statement and griefing of ALL of the people who AFK/stay still for WHATEVER reason (RL, wanting to stay near a zone to be able to get the defend achievements, and yes, sitting around doing nothing but getting the rewards).

Also, Marionette fight was awesome because it didn’t clutter your inventory, and you got a LOT of loot for those cyphers when turning them in.

It was downgraded from 1500 to 1200 for max tier, and that was an actual change.

I, however, am 100% defending people’s right to hangout in a zone during a major event and not participate in that event. Even when the only thing in that zone is that event. It’s their business, too bad you. Yes, they’re getting something for nothing. Too bad you.

I have not, however, done this. I’ve spent a few runs actively working civs without getting any real bag action. I’ve spent most of my runs ignoring civs and farming in Trader Square (which is a circle.) I’ve never spent more than a few minutes AFK, and that was because I was watching the end of a subbed anime.

Just because I don’t do it doesn’t mean I can’t recognize it’s anyone’s right to do it and just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it any of your business that they do it, nor why.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

let it differentiate who is or not leeching base on a just algorithm.

Whatever system you devise, it will have ways of getting around it and it will unfairly punish some players.

So since no system is perfect, just leave the AFK timer as is and stop caring about what other players are (not) doing.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Is Funk said, no system will go without punishing people “unfairly”. How long is too long? How long is too short? Who decides what is too long and too short?

In the end you have two options.

1. No system at all

2. A system that works for the most part, but will unintentionally punish unfairly.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

let it differentiate who is or not leeching base on a just algorithm.

Whatever system you devise, it will have ways of getting around it and it will unfairly punish some players.

So since no system is perfect, just leave the AFK timer as is and stop caring about what other players are (not) doing.

+1ing to mark the new merged thread for future posting.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

As Leo said, that IS griefing. You are purposefully doing something to ‘harm’ another player.

You are all absolutely correct. In retrospect I truly regret my actions. The situation also exemplifies just how difficult it would be to discern the true reasons and motivations of someone who is AFK.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Flintgold.5761

Flintgold.5761

I dunno which is worse, people who afk or people who whines and gets mad at other people for not playing how they want them to.

The point is that if you are Afk, you are not playing.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

I dunno which is worse, people who afk or people who whines and gets mad at other people for not playing how they want them to.

And not playing is not the way you want them to be playing. But it’s also not your business, because as much as you might want to think it effects you, it doesn’t.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

they dont use 3rd party programs
just ctrl + leftclick on heal and you autoheal all day^^

anyway – this event is boring and after i did it 2 or 3x i started watching “Lost” again and im in Season 3 now throwing grenades brain afk on second screen on mobs near old mystic forge

i get more rewards doing this than the people who go for this citizens^^

its GW2 guys

AFKing in LA

Flintgold.5761

There are several solutions that I can think of.

-Add in a faster afk timer that will log the afk people out or boot them to the zone they zoned in from. (Needs to be 5 min or so for the people that are just doing a fast bathroom or other break)

-Add in a personal counter so that you have to participate in so many events or rescues to get citizen rewards. Example: 1 event or 1 rescue for the first bag, 2 total events &/or 2 rescues for the 2nd bag & so on.

Those two would be the easiest to implement and fair to both style of players whether you are farming bags or helping with the rescue while those that come in and go afk the entire event will get nothing.

Though my favorite is the devs watching the afkers & getting rid of them…a lot more satisfying for those that are putting in the effort to complete the event. On that note, I am sure the devs would not just be tossing bans for people that afk for 5 minutes but for much longer. Would boot them from the event the first time & if found afking again, then ban.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

-Add in a faster afk timer that will log the afk people out or boot them to the zone they zoned in from. (Needs to be 5 min or so for the people that are just doing a fast bathroom or other break)

-Add in a personal counter so that you have to participate in so many events or rescues to get citizen rewards. Example: 1 event or 1 rescue for the first bag, 2 total events &/or 2 rescues for the 2nd bag & so on.

Those two would be the easiest to implement and fair to both style of players whether you are farming bags or helping with the rescue while those that come in and go afk the entire event will get nothing.

Though my favorite is the devs watching the afkers & getting rid of them…a lot more satisfying for those that are putting in the effort to complete the event. On that note, I am sure the devs would not just be tossing bans for people that afk for 5 minutes but for much longer. Would boot them from the event the first time & if found afking again, then ban.

wanna say a staff guardian spamming 1 in an event do more than someone being afk?

relax^^

AFKing in LA

Flintgold.5761

And not playing is not the way you want them to be playing. But it’s also not your business, because as much as you might want to think it effects you, it doesn’t.

Really? sigh. If you are afk, you are not playing. If you are not playing for a extended period of time, you should not be in a event that has a limited number of players. This makes it harder on the people that are playing therefore effecting them.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Here is where you bungle. This concept of easiest to implement. Nothing is easy to implement when it comes to major systems like you’re talking about. Just look at the holiday events. In order to implement the changes they wanted their only option was to convert the activities from PvE to PvP.

Just changing the afk timer in one zone is not a simple solution. Putting in a fair event tracker OR rescue limit also isn’t.

It sounds easy, but it’s not a thing they can just have ready for a patch tomorrow, or even necessarily by the end of the event.

Lastly, having the Devs become watch dogs is a gross miss use of their time, whether they’re doing it during business or private time.

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Really? sigh. If you are afk, you are not playing. If you are not playing for a extended period of time, you should not be in a event that has a limited number of players. This makes it harder on the people that are playing therefore effecting them.

No, no it doesn’t. The AFKers are having no more effect on the viability of your bonus reward than the bag farming zergs are.

AFKing in LA

Flintgold.5761

No, no it doesn’t. The AFKers are having no more effect on the viability of your bonus reward than the bag farming zergs are.

The bag farmers are generally farming events that contribute to the citizen count.

I don’t know the exact map cap but lets say it’s 100 and 20 people of that 100 go afk for the event. That is 20%. Now lets say there are 4 events going on…10 people at each. That leaves 40 people but of those 40, you can guess that 20 of them are probably rubble searching, and that is fine..specially when they clear the roads at the same time. Now you have 20 people left…most of which would probably be doing citizens….

Those 20 afk people are equal to 20 more citizen farmers or 1/2 of the event group. The citizen group could be going twice as fast with the afk’ers & so on so there is a small example of how the afk’ers are effecting everyone. I could give you a lot more examples but I am not sure if I am being trolled or you are just tying to find a way to defend leeching.

As for the examples of how to get rid of the afk’ers…I was adding in some suggestions instead of just complaining. I said easiest because the code exists already in game and may not have to be rewritten for another zone. Whether or not it is simple to do, only the devs know.

As for the afking in general, the devs obviously did not intend for the event to award afk’ers and that is all that needs to be known for why afking for the length of the event is wrong.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

If I could change L.A., I would:

• Remove direct loot rewards when a new rescue tier is reached
  • Create 5 tiers of rescue bags
    • The tier of bag dropped by enemies is tied to the current rescue count tier
  • Introduce a buff, (“Lion’s Hope”), scaling with the rescue count tier
    • Increases revive speed
    • Grants karma when reviving an ally or NPC
    • Grants karma when encouraging an NPC
    • Grants a random boon when an NPC you rescued makes it to safety
I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

You can also prevent being autokicked by setting autocast on your heal skill. I wonder if people can be banned for that, but I doubt it.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

AFKing in LA

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Leeching in this circumstance is not griefing – if they were actually trying to make you fail it would be (albeit incredibly hard to prove), but it helps them if you make 1200 as well. They just don’t want to work for it.

Sorry, it IS griefing, or more specifically, leeching which was a reportable offense in GW1 and should be here as well. The devs have now starting kicking and banning these afkers now so hopefully having a 72 hour timeout (should be longer IMHO) will teach them a lesson.
In LA this evening, I counted 28 afkers at a single gate! It’s out of hand, so I fully support having these leechers suspended. If you have to leave to do something else, just waypoint out so another player who actually wants to PLAY the game can take your place. Why should a whole server suffer because a hand full of players want to be lazy and leech off of the efforts of everyone else?

Griefing is where you have the intent to cause harm to other players. Being lazy or being afk does not equate to this. Griefing would be me intentionally training risen to the NPC at the Grenth event or running mobs to the beginning to “punish” afk players.

LOL, so now your trying to turn the afkers in to victims?
Several people have said it’s a design flaw, so it’s OK. taking advantage of a design flaw could be considered using an exploit, so yeah, keep trying with that one.
Leeching is griefing when it negatively effects other players on the server. You can try to turn it around all you want, but the facts and the suspensions speak for themselves.
What I would like to see is instead of a 72 hour suspension, a suspension for the entire duration of the LS arc. They don’t want to play anyway so the afkers should have no issue with that.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

You make it sound like afking is a crime lol. Afk timer is around 60min so all is fair.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Zealot.6507

Zealot.6507

Been finding a bunch of players that swim into the underwater cave that is accessed by the sewers and afking there, just so they can tab out and get rewards.