AFKing in LA

AFKing in LA

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You make it sound like afking is a crime lol. Afk timer is around 60min so all is fair.

Well there are some rumors that people have been getting suspended for prolonged AFK in LA. Of course none of that has been confirmed. It has just come up in a thread or two with no confirmation from Anet. If it is true then perhaps it is a “crime”. I’m not really certain why you feel the need to defend such behavior. It really isn’t conducive to the community. But, hey, if that is how you like to ‘play’ at least we know where you stand.

The Burninator

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Meix.3710

Meix.3710

I can personally attest to the fact that while not everyone that AFKs is getting kicked in every instance, if you get caught AFK by ANet staff you’ll get booted from the event… cause I was quaggan-stalking someone who was hunting for AFKers

So yeah, a mechanism to kick AFKers isn’t built in, but they’re doing what they can.. and I’m sure this will likely be taken into consideration for future open-world events and rewards.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Dabrixmgp.4758

Dabrixmgp.4758

The devs have now starting kicking and banning these afkers now so hopefully having a 72 hour timeout (should be longer IMHO) will teach them a lesson.

Source?

i saw an A-net guy running around the WP at the exit and AFK people started disappearing lol.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

That’s the thing, why are they doing that? How do they know that person isn’t afk because of something important? That sounds very dictatorial.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

AFKing in LA

JustTrogdor.7892

That’s the thing, why are they doing that? How do they know that person isn’t afk because of something important? That sounds very dictatorial.

Perhaps they are watching people AFK for long periods of time using things like auto-cast on their heal skill or auto-run into a wall to avoid kick timer. It is one thing to AFK for several minutes to use the bathroom, take a quick call or what not. It is another thing to auto-run at the gate during the pre-event to make sure you get in right away and then stand at the entrance for 20+ minutes. If someone has to be AFK for longer than say 15 minutes maybe they should exit and give someone else their spot.

The Burninator

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Perhaps they are watching people AFK for long periods of time using things like auto-cast on their heal skill or auto-run into a wall to avoid kick timer. It is one thing to AFK for several minutes to use the bathroom, take a quick call or what not. It is another thing to auto-run at the gate during the pre-event to make sure you get in right away and then stand at the entrance for 20+ minutes. If someone has to be AFK for longer than say 15 minutes maybe they should exit and give someone else their spot.

Why should anyone give up his/her spot and forfeitthe reward in an event just because he needs to do something important IRL for more than 15 minutes? That’s what overflows are for in the first place. He’s not denying anyone their right to participate in the game by keeping his spot. It’s not like people who can’t get in main can’t play the event entirely.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

AFKing in LA

JustTrogdor.7892

Why should anyone give up his/her spot in an event just because he needs to do something important IRL for more than 15 minutes? That’s what overflows are for in the first place. He’s not denying anyone their right to participate in the game by keeping his spot. It’s not like people who can’t get in main can’t play the event entirely.

It’s called being considerate of other players. Something a lot of people in this game and most MMOs seem to lack. If something is so important that they cannot actively participate in an event for an extended period of time they should go take care of that important business and let someone else play for the rewards. If you are not contributing during the event then you are just taking up space. Say, you afk for 18 minutes and the rescue mission for 1200 is a close call. That is 18 minutes you are not helping and taking a spot from someone that might be willing to do rescues. Anyway I just threw 15 minutes out there as it is a significant part of the LA event time frame.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

What I would like to see is instead of a 72 hour suspension, a suspension for the entire duration of the LS arc. They don’t want to play anyway so the afkers should have no issue with that.

AFKing to get free stuff is a bona fide Guild Wars tradition. See every festival in GW1. If you don’t enjoy getting free stuff, then you’re the one who isn’t a good fit for this game or its core community.

It’s just like when your cool uncle throws a bbq – he’s paying for all that food, doing all the work to cook and clean, and you’re technically just mooching, but everyone is having a good time being there for their own reasons. That’s community.

Being the guy at a potluck who gets kitteny because one of the other guests didn’t bring a dish is just sad. Perhaps there’s a game out there that is better suited for all the tryhards that have infested the GW community.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Why should anyone give up his/her spot in an event just because he needs to do something important IRL for more than 15 minutes? That’s what overflows are for in the first place. He’s not denying anyone their right to participate in the game by keeping his spot. It’s not like people who can’t get in main can’t play the event entirely.

It’s called being considerate of other players. Something a lot of people in this game and most MMOs seem to lack. If something is so important that they cannot actively participate in an event for an extended period of time they should go take care of that important business and let someone else play for the rewards. If you are not contributing during the event then you are just taking up space. Say, you afk for 18 minutes and the rescue mission for 1200 is a close call. That is 18 minutes you are not helping and taking a spot from someone that might be willing to do rescues. Anyway I just threw 15 minutes out there as it is a significant part of the LA event time frame.

What if it was an emergency? It’s not like we can determine the intent of everyone who goes into the event either. If it’s solely on contribution, then people who run the event for heirlooms and ignores citizens altogether are just as accountable. Or that person who follows people as a quaggan.

That’s why they shouldn’t have designed the event this way. If they want to limit player accessibility to event rewards based on their participation then they should’ve just implemented individual citizen counters instead.

AFKing in LA

JustTrogdor.7892

What if it was an emergency? It’s not like we can determine the intent of everyone who goes into the event either. If it’s solely on contribution, then people who run the event for heirlooms and ignores citizens altogether are just as accountable. Or that person who follows people as a quaggan.

That’s why they shouldn’t have designed the event this way. If they want to limit player accessibility to event rewards based on their participation then they should’ve just implemented individual citizen counters instead.

If it is an emergency then playing a game should be the least of your worries. This event is designed well. It requires people to cooperate for maximum rewards and for the most part at this point in the event most people do. You can try defend extended AFK all you want but people that do so are not helping the community and not really playing. They are just trying to cash in on everyone else’s group effort. If the rumors of people getting kicked for extended AFK are true I give Anet a thumbs up.

People playing for heirlooms are limited as well as there are a limited amount you can get per day. That washes them out as well after a small amount of time.

Having an individual citizen counter would not work either because it would become a race for resources due to the limited amount of citizens at a time. Plus rezzing a citizen does not guarantee they make it out as they can be killed on the way out. Many people help by protecting them as they exit. Many do both.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

AFKing in LA

Posted by: insaneshadow.1654

insaneshadow.1654

The devs have now starting kicking and banning these afkers now so hopefully having a 72 hour timeout (should be longer IMHO) will teach them a lesson.

Source?

i saw an A-net guy running around the WP at the exit and AFK people started disappearing lol.

That sounds pretty hilarious. I’ve seen an ANet employee running around Gendarran, but I’ve never seen one in the event. Though, I did see chat erupt with, “Hi Kyle!” during the first day or second day, so maybe that was one.

Gust Root | Letum Folium | Lo Bridge | Snow Spot | Roland East | Nascharr | Bjorn Microbrew
Yak’s Bend
Lincoln Force [BOMB]

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

If it is an emergency then playing a game should be the least of your worries. This event is designed well. It requires people to cooperate for maximum rewards and for the most part at this point in the event most people do. You can try defend extended AFK all you want but people that do so are not helping the community and not really playing. They are just trying to cash in on everyone else’s group effort. If the rumors of people getting kicked for extended AFK are true I give Anet a thumbs up.

If it’s an emergency would you really go back to your game to get your character out of LA? -_- Helping the community = forcing you to play a certain way? What if I just like going into LA for extra profit while playing the TP?

AFKing in LA

JustTrogdor.7892

If it’s an emergency would you really go back to your game to get your character out of LA? -_- Helping the community = forcing you to play a certain way? What if I just like going into LA for extra profit while playing the TP?

Good grief. Keep trying to defend AFK leeching all you want. Okay, yeah if your house is on fire then I guess it is okay to AFK. LOL

No one is forcing you to play a certain way, but if you take part in the LA event where a significant part requires actually participating then you should be willing to participate in one way or another. Unless you house catches fire. HAHA

Would you go do Wurm or Teq and then just stand there?

The Burninator

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Good grief. Keep trying to defend AFK leeching all you want. Okay, yeah if your house is on fire then I guess it is okay to AFK. LOL

No one is forcing you to play a certain way, but if you take part in the LA event where a significant part requires actually participating then you should be willing to participate in one way or another. Unless you house catches fire. HAHA

Nothing in the mechanics require me to do anything to get the citizen supply bags. How does one measure contribution? I’m also playing the game, just not how you want me to. You want to penalize people because they’re getting rewards just for standing idly while chatting or for playing the TP or heck, have their houses on fire instead of saving citizens? Then they shouldn’t have designed it that way in the first place.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

What I would like to see is instead of a 72 hour suspension, a suspension for the entire duration of the LS arc. They don’t want to play anyway so the afkers should have no issue with that.

AFKing to get free stuff is a bona fide Guild Wars tradition. See every festival in GW1. If you don’t enjoy getting free stuff, then you’re the one who isn’t a good fit for this game or its core community.

It’s just like when your cool uncle throws a bbq – he’s paying for all that food, doing all the work to cook and clean, and you’re technically just mooching, but everyone is having a good time being there for their own reasons. That’s community.

Being the guy at a potluck who gets kitteny because one of the other guests didn’t bring a dish is just sad. Perhaps there’s a game out there that is better suited for all the tryhards that have infested the GW community.

Apples and oranges. Standing around in LA in GW1 for event loot did not effect the outcome for any other players. Doing the same thing in LA now has a detrimental effect on other players and effects their game negatively. If it was only 1 or 2 players it would not make any difference, but it is getting out of hand. When you see 30+ players on a single map standing around doing nothing while everyone else does all the work for them, that’s when the ban hammer needs to come down. There is no defense for doing this, there is no legitimate argument. The players doing this are hurting the community and need to be dealt with. No amount of excuses can change that.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Apples and oranges. Standing around in LA in GW1 for event loot did not effect the outcome for any other players. Doing the same thing in LA now has a detrimental effect on other players and effects their game negatively. If it was only 1 or 2 players it would not make any difference, but it is getting out of hand. When you see 30+ players on a single map standing around doing nothing while everyone else does all the work for them, that’s when the ban hammer needs to come down. There is no defense for doing this, there is no legitimate argument. The players doing this are hurting the community and need to be dealt with. No amount of excuses can change that.

Do you get DC when someone stands idly? Does it prevent you from playing the event altogether? So again it boils down to rewards and YOUR definition of fun?

AFKing in LA

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Nothing in the mechanics require me to do anything to get the citizen supply bags. How does one measure contribution? I’m also playing the game, just not how you want me to. You want to penalize people because they’re getting rewards just for standing idly while chatting or for playing the TP or heck, have their houses on fire instead of saving citizens? Then they shouldn’t have designed it that way in the first place.

As the players who keep defending this like to say, it was a design flaw. Taking advantage of a design flaw is exploiting the game. Using an exploit is against the TOS.
So by the arguments given here my the AFK crowd, in their own words, they are using an exploit and should be suspended/banned.

End of story.

AFKing in LA

JustTrogdor.7892

If you want to play the TP then be considerate of your other players an do it outside the event. Join a dungeon group and start playing the TP and see where that gets you. Go do Teq and tell everyone just before it starts you will be playing the TP and just chatting while it goes on. I’m sure you will make friends. LOL

Defend AFKers all you want. If I see you perma-afking in LA I’m going to report you. Bottom line. Participate in the event one way or another be it rescuing, killing mobs, exploring, or what not. Stand AFK for the entire time and I hope you get suspended.

The Burninator

AFKing in LA

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Do you get DC when someone stands idly? Does it prevent you from playing the event altogether? So again it boils down to rewards and YOUR definition of fun?

It prevents us from finishing some events, that is all that is needed. My game experience is lessoned for someone who is leeching just for the loot, so your loot argument is pointless as YOU are the one only in it for the reward.
It’s amazing that people actually think they can defend this. It speaks volumes about the players and none of it is good.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

As the players who keep defending this like to say, it was a design flaw. Taking advantage of a design flaw is exploiting the game. Using an exploit is against the TOS.
So by the arguments given here my the AFK crowd, in their own words, they are using an exploit and should be suspended/banned.

End of story.

There is no bug or glitch or game vulnerability to exploit in this regard. If it was a design flaw then it should’ve been fixed days ago. People are just not playing how you want them to.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I’ve gone to get a drink after dying/wp-ing and have been booted from LA despite participating in the event itself for the rest of the time. Stupid 24/7 afk-ers >: (

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

End of story.

There is no bug or glitch or game vulnerability to exploit in this regard. If it was a design flaw then it should’ve been fixed days ago. People are just not playing how you want them to.

Exploits aren’t restricted to just glitches or game vulnerabilities.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

There has been an increase of the AFK players in the event.
I wish Anet would implement auto-removal from the map for people not contributing to the event.

Something like 5-minute time out will do, especially when the map is full.

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Just now, someone in LA was castigating other players for scouring rubbles. Other players asked him how many citizens they had to rescue so they can play how they want or have the “privilege” of going for a break. Some people’s line of reasoning here is so close to doing just that – whining and kittening in their attempt to enforce their gameplay to everyone else.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Would you go do Wurm or Teq and then just stand there?

He’s not defending the leechers. If he’s thinking of this any way similar to I am, he’s ADMITTING they are there.

He’s simply saying you can’t run around banning people for being “AFK” simply because hey, maybe they logged in, went ‘Yeah, let’s do an LA round!’ and suddenly, their grandparents called wanting to talk about some important things." Or maybe his wife HAD to run to the store and he needed to watch the kid.

What, you want him to go “Hold on, let me log out of my game!” in either case? No, he’s going to focus on RL. Yes, leechers exist. But you can’t just run through and ban everybody who is AFK. Now if they ANNOUNCE they are not going to do anything, feel free. If you just see somebody sitting in a semi-dangerous zone, it’s most likely RL.

Just now, someone in LA was castigating other players for scouring rubbles. Other players asked him how many citizens they had to rescue so they can play how they want or have the “privilege” of going for a break. Some people’s line of reasoning here is so close to doing just that – whining and kittening in their attempt to enforce their gameplay to everyone else.

Yeah, I kinda like that idea of just wandering about, not doing any events or citizen rescues. Hell, run those three JP while you are in there!

You certainly aren’t harming anybody. And you aren’t AFK so these guys can’t kitten at you.

Pro-tip to all the griefers in this thread. If they are in a dangerous/semi-dangerous area, they most likely started off but then got dragged away by that awful thing called real life. Don’t punish them for real life. Remember to make the difference or think that not everybody who is AFK is leeching.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Anet was already told that tying personal reward to other people’s failure without the ability to overcome their failures makes us mad.

Well be happy! You can do MORE than your share of the event to get every single achievement and reward. You aren’t stuck in a platform forced to watch the other people fail. You can finish your duty and go on to do more. You can make up for someone else’s failure.

Any other time and place people are permitted to do whatever they want. They can run something other than zerker gear. They can play as rangers. They can sit afk. They can run terrible builds.

Why is this any different?

The only thing I can think of is that people are upset to see others getting rewarded for non-participation. The same rewards that those who put forth the effort receive.

This is the only event that has been added in which that is possible (As far as I am aware anyway). It’s a colossal failure on Anet’s part to have not tied the rewards to personal contribution.

Punishing people for something that they are permitted to do anywhere and any other time that they want simply in this instance because of one completely stupid mechanic is just wrong. There is no defense of it.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Anet was already told that tying personal reward to other people’s failure without the ability to overcome their failures makes us mad.

Well be happy! You can do MORE than your share of the event to get every single achievement and reward. You aren’t stuck in a platform forced to watch the other people fail. You can finish your duty and go on to do more. You can make up for someone else’s failure..

you can’t really make up for other peoples failure when there are 30-40 afk. It’s nearly impossible to catch up and save enough civs while also having people in events, with nearly 1/4 of people on the map doing nothing at all.

And most didn’t suddenly have rl business to attend to.
They can get free loot so they enter to get free loot, ..they don’t care that they are making it very difficult if not possible for players to get 1200 civ saved.

And this is frustrating.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

you can’t really make up for other peoples failure when there are 30-40 afk. It’s nearly impossible to catch up and save enough civs while also having people in events, with nearly 1/4 of people on the map doing nothing at all.

And most didn’t suddenly have rl business to attend to.
They can get free loot so they enter to get free loot, ..they don’t care that they are making it very difficult if not possible for players to get 1200 civ saved.

And this is frustrating.

They not failing then, if their intention is to get free loot they are succeeding. However you’re failing as your intention is to get to a certain quota in the event. This is why some want to return to instances of Guild Wars 1, as it would give everyone control of whom they party with making it easier to handle such problems. The counter argument to this wish is either “It an open world” or “Do you know what the MMO in MMORPG means?” which have now turned and bit the ones who made such arguments. In an open world, especially one that encourages players to Play as they want, there going to be a variety of play styles that may or may not mesh well with one another. Just because one doesn’t consider a certain method a play style doesn’t necessary mean that it isn’t.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

AFKing in LA

Taygus.4571

afk’ing , is NOT playing.
You cannot call it a playstyle, because they are not playing.

I’m not talking about those that might go there and chat or TP.

The majority place their character there and then go do something else.
Probably work or clean. They are not playing. It’s not about play how you want, they are actively NOT playing, while taking a spat in the map.

The force the rest of us to fail. Like I said if 30 or so players are afk, it’s next to impossible to get 1200 saved. Often reaching 900 or so, but never 1200.

This isn’t fair, and the people who afk, don’t care that they’re making it impossible for those actually playing.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

afk’ing , is NOT playing.
You cannot call it a playstyle, because they are not playing.

In your opinion it not a playstyle.

The force the rest of us to fail. Like I said if 30 or so players are afk, it’s next to impossible to get 1200 saved. Often reaching 900 or so, but never 1200.

They not forcing you to do anything, in fact after reading the thread I say its the ones complaining that are forcing others to conform to their mentality. “Running Heirlooms now that I already got my wings? How sinister and selfish of you!” “What you wanted this achievement? Why didn’t you get it the same time I did? We saving civilians now because I said so.” The only reason the afkers are being targeted more is because there the highest chance of getting sympathy from other players. “Those cruel selfish afkers are forcing the whole server to fail, they should be banned for inconveniencing others.” What’s next you going to ask Anet to ban those who ask to be resurrected instead of waypointing? Or how about those players who complain on the forums about the mindless zerg and refuse to shut up when the farmers tell them to?

This isn’t fair, and the people who afk, don’t care that they’re making it impossible for those actually playing.

Life isn’t fair, this is just one of the many drawbacks of having an open world mmo.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Why should anyone give up his/her spot and forfeit the reward in an event just because he needs to do something important IRL for more than 15 minutes? That’s what overflows are for in the first place. He’s not denying anyone their right to participate in the game by keeping his spot. It’s not like people who can’t get in main can’t play the event entirely.

If something in real life takes more than 15 minutes, you should probably remove yourself from the event to do it. It’s called consideration.

It’s not like the event takes too long to get back in. In the “old” days of gaming, some raids only happened once a week. AFKing for a few minutes got you kicked from the raid group. 15 or 20 minutes would insure you weren’t ever invited again.

I would bet that the ANet people are able to tell if someone is temporarily AFK or just leeching.

Level 80 Elementalist

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Its their own fault if leeching is possible. Badly designed event. So why blame the people if they go afk.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

AFKing in LA

Manasa Devi.7958

There’s this thing called “intention” that determines how actions are judged. Innocent actions that have incidental bad side-effect are not at all the same as actions that strive to achieve bad effects on purpose.

(edited by Moderator)

AFKing in LA

Manasa Devi.7958

Taking advantage of a poorly designed system that fully allows for that advantage as a legitimate occurrence is not, in any way, the same as an exploit.

ANet has shown numerous times that they don’t agree with that.

The point is intent. Not the intent of the player, but the intent of the Developer. While the Devs most likely did not expect people to afk, the design of the event intends that it’s possible.

Source on that intent? Or is it just an assumption on your part? The same goes for the rest of your post that I won’t bother quoting.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Taking advantage of a poorly designed system that fully allows for that advantage as a legitimate occurrence is not, in any way, the same as an exploit.

How so?

When has ANet ever infracted someone for playing their game based on the built in design of the game? People have been infracted for making use of design flaws, legitimate design flaws, that were never intended to exist. Those are exploits.

Going AFK is an intended game design. It is only flawed in that you and others here think it is flawed. Not because it was actually designed incorrectly.

Gaining rewards for the event without actually participating in the event is not necessarily a good design choice, but neither is it a flaw. They could have required participation in some part of the event. They chose not to. Therefore it was intended that nonparticipation is valid. The expectation being that nonparticipation would most likely lower rewards inspiring participation.

A poor design choice is not the same as a design flaw. Gaining the benefit of a poor design choice is not the same as exploiting a design flaw.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

AFKing in LA

Taygus.4571

Why should anyone give up his/her spot and forfeit the reward in an event just because he needs to do something important IRL for more than 15 minutes? That’s what overflows are for in the first place. He’s not denying anyone their right to participate in the game by keeping his spot. It’s not like people who can’t get in main can’t play the event entirely.

If something in real life takes more than 15 minutes, you should probably remove yourself from the event to do it. It’s called consideration.

It’s not like the event takes too long to get back in. In the “old” days of gaming, some raids only happened once a week. AFKing for a few minutes got you kicked from the raid group. 15 or 20 minutes would insure you weren’t ever invited again.

I would bet that the ANet people are able to tell if someone is temporarily AFK or just leeching.

Consideration for what? We have overflows so anyone can participate in the event. Nobody is technically denying anyone anything by staying in their respective maps.

They are denying the success of the event!
How is it people can argue differently???

AFKing in LA

Manasa Devi.7958

How so?

When has ANet ever infracted someone for playing their game based on the built in design of the game? People have been infracted for making use of design flaws, legitimate design flaws, that were never intended to exist. Those are exploits.

Going AFK is an intended game design. It is only flawed in that you and others here think it is flawed. Not because it was actually designed incorrectly.

Gaining rewards for the event without actually participating in the event is not necessarily a good design choice, but neither is it a flaw. They could have required participation in some part of the event. They chose not to. Therefore it was intended that nonparticipation is valid. The expectation being that nonparticipation would most likely lower rewards inspiring participation.

A poor design choice is not the same as a design flaw. Gaining the benefit of a poor design choice is not the same as exploiting a design flaw.

Rewarding people for not doing anything at all drives people to go there and not do anything at all. This causes the group of active players to be unnecessarily splintered among overflow instances that all have a less than optimal number of active players to partake of content that requires active players. This makes it highly likely that the content does not play out as intended.

If you don’t think this is a design flaw, further discussions seems pointless.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

How so?

Rewarding people for not doing anything at all drives people to go there and not do anything at all. This causes the group of active players to be unnecessarily splintered among overflow instances that all have a less than optimal number of active players to partake of content that requires active players. This makes it highly likely that the content does not play out as intended.

If you don’t think this is a design flaw, further discussions seems pointless.

I have not experienced this. I have only seen servers and overflows increasing in capability and being more consistently successful. Therefore I call bullkitten.

The value of sitting in the zone and not doing anything is not even partially outweighed by the value of doing absolutely anything else.

You are making a claim you can’t support in order to support your own beliefs, therefore your beliefs are flawed.

It is a poor design. Poor design is not the same as design flaw for the purposes you wish to put to the meaning of design flaw.

A design flaw is a table with two and a half legs. A poor design is a table with five foot long legs. One is broken, the other has problems. One was unintentional, the other obviously was.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

I was having to go afk a lot the other day. You do get booted if it’s to long. The rewards for afking suck. Even with that I bet I directly rescued more civs by encouraging rezing and clearing their path than the misma zerg farmers.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

So are the people who are rubble clearing. So are the people who are zerging miasma events. So are the people who don’t know what the are doing, so are the people who are waiting to get rezzed instead of waypointing. So are the people who are running non-zerk gear. So are the people who are underleveled. So are the people who have terrible builds.

Ban them all!

Note: This is sarcasm to make a point.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Deety.8761

Deety.8761

I’d love to see this resolve in a way that makes sense in the story. If Anet can calculate revives/encouragements per minute while in LA, perhaps the city would choose to recognize a top percentage with a special title or award.

Meanwhile, a bottom percentage might unfortunately contract Lingering Miasma Sickness, perhaps affecting their Luck for the next two weeks. (Or perhaps they would have to visit a healer for a remedy, only to find the doctor ignoring them as he runs incessantly into a corner. )

These sorts of unexpected consequences of events after the fact could add to the “Living” aspect of the LS (since not everything can be anticipated), and also encourage people not to waste spots that could go to active participants in future events.

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

I’d love to see this resolve in a way that makes sense in the story. If Anet can calculate revives/encouragements per minute while in LA, perhaps the city would choose to recognize a top percentage with a special title or award.

Meanwhile, a bottom percentage might unfortunately contract Lingering Miasma Sickness, perhaps affecting their Luck for the next two weeks. (Or perhaps they would have to visit a healer for a remedy, only to find the doctor ignoring them as he runs incessantly into a corner. )

These sorts of unexpected consequences of events after the fact could add to the “Living” aspect of the LS (since not everything can be anticipated), and also encourage people not to waste spots that could go to active participants in future events.

This isn’t WvW. There’s no such thing as active participants being denied a spot in the event. Those people who aren’t in the main server, but want to participate are in the overflow.

As for the rest, just no.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

They are actually banning people who stay afk for mor than 5 min.

Yeah, gonna need a lot more proof than that.

AFKing in LA

Taygus.4571

So are the people who are rubble clearing. So are the people who are zerging miasma events. So are the people who don’t know what the are doing, so are the people who are waiting to get rezzed instead of waypointing. So are the people who are running non-zerk gear. So are the people who are underleveled. So are the people who have terrible builds.

Ban them all!

At least most of these are/were doing something. Not just standing there for free loot.

I can’t believe people can defend afk’ing (those in paticular who log in to afk…and there is quite a few)

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Ban them all!

At least most of these are/were doing something. Not just standing there for free loot.

They are denying the success of the event nevertheless. You’re not gonna go off about intention too, are you?

AFKing in LA

Taygus.4571

Ban them all!

They are denying the success of the event nevertheless. You’re not gonna go off about intention too, are you?

Actually most people I’ve seen going for rubble encourage/rez a few civs along the way, ..those who died were likelly fighting in an event.

They are doing something!

Players logging in to just afk, make it harder to reach 1200 civs, it’s really that simple.
Then they get loot for doing nothing at all.

While other players had to work harder to reach the tiers.

AFKing in LA

Leo Paul.1659

Ban them all!

Actually most people I’ve seen going for rubble encourage/rez a few civs along the way, ..those who died were likelly fighting in an event.

Players logging in to just afk, make it harder to reach 1200 civs, it’s really that simple.

Pure speculation. Say those afk players were to participate and upscale events then end up denying other players of getting the triple threat achievement? (yay i can use slippery slopes too)

AFKing in LA

Kal Spiro.9745

Ban them all!

Rubble seeks may encourage, but that’s not what they’re doing. Those who died were fighting, but now are wasting space and boosting the scale without helping to fight it. They are not, either of them, doing anything productive.

AFKers are not making it harder to do anything. Other players are doing the same thing they would be doing whether they were there or not. Nothing changes. A handful more people won’t change anything. Even several handfuls won’t change anything.

AFKing in LA

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

Been finding a bunch of players that swim into the underwater cave that is accessed by the sewers and afking there, just so they can tab out and get rewards.

I’ve noticed them there too. Once the event starts (from the south entrance), you can just watch as players run down the slope, through the waterfall, and then just autorun at the walls.

Totally lame.

AFKing in LA

Taygus.4571

Ban them all!

Pure speculation. Say those afk players were to participate and upscale events then end up denying other players of getting the triple threat achievement? (yay i can use slippery slopes too)

This is getting rediculous.
Are you denying that players enter LA, just to afk for loot?

They stand around wp. (or other ‘safe’ places) using auto run/heal, for the ENTIRE event.

It’s simple, they are getting stuff from other peoples work.

They are getting something for doing nothing at all, and worse, they prevent other active players joining together by taking spots, which makes it near impossible to reach the tier.

Really, how can you defend that??? …unless of course you’re one of those afk’ers.