All this cool stuff in gem store

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

Makes me kinda sad.

Why can’t we get stuff like this in-game by killing bosses? Seriously, most of them don’t even drop rares, let alone exotics with unique appearances.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

TIL there is no gold/gem exchange in GW2

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Like, one gold per Scarlet Hologram run.

On average, isn’t it more?

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

Get ready for a flood of “OMG this game is free-to-play, they need to make money somehow, ANet is my lord and savior” posts.

I understand all of this.

I just want gem store stuff to be available through hard work without paying money as well; bosses too could give us more substantial rewards.

And MONEY. MORE MONEY. Like, one gold per Scarlet Hologram run.

But it is available through hard work through the currency exchange (Gold → Gems).

Also, I think we get a whole bunch of stuff worth selling. I usually get like 3-4 rares, a few backpiece color thingies worth almost 1g each. Also you get a bag which has a chance to drop items from earlier Living World patches. Yesterday I got a mini molten firestorm, which is worth ~100g for instance.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

You’re conveniently forgetting the backpack and rifles.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

TIL: Buying supposedly extremely rare and powerful weapons is epic, engaging and fun.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

I think each open world boss should drop at least 1 unique weapon skin.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

And the best way to earn gold isn’t via challenging content and earning it. It’s dungeon speed clears and champ trains. I’d rather play challenging and fun content and get a good drop. It’s a rewarding feeling. Exchanging gold for gems and buying a common skin isn’t awesome.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I just want gem store stuff to be available through hard work without paying money as well; bosses too could give us more substantial rewards.

Well see, that’s the problem.
“Hard work”. We don’t have anything like that ingame. Closest I can think of would be the 1k+ achievements in WvW.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Get ready for a flood of “OMG this game is free-to-play, they need to make money somehow, ANet is my lord and savior” posts.

You mean the people who accept that you don’t just get everything for free?

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

You mean the people who accept that you don’t just get everything for free?

No, I mean the people who support ANet no matter what they do.

I have no problem with Gem Store updates except for the fact that they currently have a complete monopoly on the armor and weapon skin sets that are being added to this game.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Seras.5702

^ exactly.

To make a game that touts itself for having no subscription fee and having high emphasis on aesthetics, and then locking all new armor behind gem store purchases….make your own inferences.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Makes me kinda sad.

Why can’t we get stuff like this in-game by killing bosses? Seriously, most of them don’t even drop rares, let alone exotics with unique appearances.

You can: Sell the stuff you get from bosses and save the gold you earn, then convert gold to gems.

Yes, it’s not cheap, but if it was, then GW2 wouldn’t be profitable and you wouldn’t see all the extra content that you do. =P

Posted by: Mondo.5029

Mondo.5029

^ exactly.

To make a game that touts itself for having no subscription fee and having high emphasis on aesthetics, and then locking all new armor behind gem store purchases….make your own inferences.

This. So much this.

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

And the best way to earn gold isn’t via challenging content and earning it. It’s dungeon speed clears and champ trains. I’d rather play challenging and fun content and get a good drop. It’s a rewarding feeling. Exchanging gold for gems and buying a common skin isn’t awesome.

Yeah, here’s the issue:

Define “challenging content”. Dungeons, for some people, are exceptionally difficult, even if they know the methods and tricks to make clearing dungeons a breeze.

Liadri was, for many people, difficult. But for another subset of people, it was also really easy once you realized that the entire fight was running in a circle and clearing conditions.

So, the issue is, if you lock valuable items behind “challenging content” then there’s going to be 3 groups:

A) The group that says it’s impossible for them to do it and it should be nerfed. (See Liadri if you don’t think this will happen)
B) The group that manages to do it a handful of times, with great difficulty, and gets maybe one or two rewards. It is deemed too challenging and time consuming for them to do, so they go on and do whatever it was before that they were doing. (AKA – "I’d rather farm champs than do this. More gold anyways. I’ll just buy the skins on the TP.)
C) The group that becomes hyperefficient at running the content and manages to not only clear it quickly, but is swimming in the rewards as a result.

“Challenging content” is as useful as saying “smarter AI”. It means different things for different people, and at the end of the day what you may find challenging, someone else may find incredibly easy.

There was a post on precursor crafting about someone saying that it should take, at most, 40 hours to craft a precursor. I don’t know about you, but 40 hours, for even a casual player, is a ridiculously small amount of time to craft precursors without destroying the market for them. Yet, that player thought 40 hours was a more than reasonable – bordering on too long – amount of time to make one.

So, while I agree that some new armor and weapon skins (which we got from the Scarlet event and the Wurm event) should drop from bosses, to say “challenging content” should be a major source of new armor and weapon skins is worthless. Even if they did do that, you’d still have the paradigm you have now: people would still rather do X than run “Challenging Content” to get the new skins, and then just buy them.

If they’re account bound like dungeon weapons and armor? They’ll be largely ignored if they’re too challenging, just like the number of people who quit Liadri because it was too hard.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: Siobhan.6027

Siobhan.6027

I remember a time when you didn’t have to buy new skins in the gemstore. The were added for free.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

I remember a time when you didn’t have to buy new skins in the gemstore. The were added for free.

Except you had to buy that expansion. So not quite free.

And Scarlet’s helm was free – 1/3 of all armor released with this patch!

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Do you remember when GW2 added new weapon and armor skins through Ascended Gear and the Champion Rewards?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Do you remember when GW2 added new weapon and armor skins through Ascended Gear and the Champion Rewards?

Do you remember that one time when a dev said that they want all level 80s to be on equal footing, whether they’ve been at that point for over a year or simply five minutes?

Or how about when they said they don’t believe in a gear treadmill, or how they don’t make “grindy” games?

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

(edited by Flytrap.8075)

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I have a backpack full of skins that I can’t sell, don’t want to use and don’t want to delete just from rewards that I’ve received throughout the year.

Are there more skins on the Gem store? Yes. Are there more skins available ingame, for “free” than are available in the Gem store? Yes again. So, the majority of all armor skins are available without real money. Of the available additional skins more are in the Gem store than achievable some how at some time ingame.

Sorry, I fail to see the problem.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Do you remember that one time when a dev said that they want all level 80s to be on equal footing, whether they’ve been at that point for over a year or simply five minutes?

Or how about when they said they don’t believe in a gear treadmill, or how they don’t make “grindy” games?

I’ll tell you one thing, son. Even if I don’t remember…

Oh sure, it may have been a long time ago, and a lot of things have changed since… but Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

I wouldn’t mind that they add so many skins to the gemstore, if they added more full armor skin sets and weapon skin sets to the game itself as well. The amount added to the gemstore just feels a bit lopsided. I want to get more armors through crafting, or possibly drops, because I think that crafting or by surprise getting a nice skin from a drop is much more fun than farming money and then converting gold to gems (though I’m grateful for this feature). As long as the crafting isn’t time-gated and the drop rates abysmal…

Seras.5702

I have a backpack full of skins that I can’t sell, don’t want to use and don’t want to delete just from rewards that I’ve received throughout the year.

Are there more skins on the Gem store? Yes. Are there more skins available ingame, for “free” than are available in the Gem store? Yes again. So, the majority of all armor skins are available without real money. Of the available additional skins more are in the Gem store than achievable some how at some time ingame.

Backpack skins are not armor sets. Random helms are not armor sets. I too have 3x dragon helms and a gas mask and several backpacks in my bank. None of them are new armor sets that I can fully deck out a character in.

The game was launched with a full complement of armor/weapon skins. Since then, all new non-ascended armor/weapons are available as either temporary LS content and only 1 piece (backpack/helm), gem store purchases, or from scraps acquired from RNG boxes which require buying keys from the gem store.

Other than that, we’ve got 1 new armor skin per type (light, med, heavy) via ascended.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

More on the lines of this game has a lot of sinks for gold and converting gold into gems is a major one that lets you buy gem store skins. It keeps gold useful and i think all games should adopted this type of system.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Kal Spiro.9745

Backpack skins are not armor sets. Random helms are not armor sets. I too have 3x dragon helms and a gas mask and several backpacks in my bank. None of them are new armor sets that I can fully deck out a character in.

The game was launched with a full complement of armor/weapon skins. Since then, all new non-ascended armor/weapons are available as either temporary LS content and only 1 piece (backpack/helm), gem store purchases, or from scraps acquired from RNG boxes which require buying keys from the gem store.

Other than that, we’ve got 1 new armor skin per type (light, med, heavy) via ascended.

I’ll I’m reading, still, are an endless series of Qs. I’m also still not seeing the problem.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I remember a time when armor skins gave no statistical advantages, and Gem Store purchases were completely optional.

That said, my full Ascended armor looks better than Gem Store armor that turns you blue. Best of all, it didn’t cost any Gems to buy.

ps – Scarlet’s Kiss says hello

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Recon.9461

Recon.9461

Whatever happened to the idea of all the “items” that are in the gem store would also available/attainable through regular game play drops. And by “items” I am referring to the items under the “Style,” “Services,” “Special,” “Boosts,” and “Toys” tabs.

Posted by: HaseKent.1843

HaseKent.1843

I don’t mind adding skins into gem store.

But the problem is, those skins are soooo ugly and doesn’t worth of buying at all…
reused old skin and add flames? lol

Worst aesthetics design team of all online game…

Posted by: Cassio.9507

Cassio.9507

Yeah indeed. But Anet seem to think it’s a good idea to waste a big part of the incentive to play by putting sought after items straight in the gem shop instead of having it in the game like it should be. Then they would see actually entertained players enter the gem shop to buy more bank/char slots and similar.

When my interest faded (again) about two months ago I had been struggling with space for quite a while, but I never found motivation to buy more space cause I wasn’t happy w/ the game. If they would’ve just put more of the well crafted items in the actual game I wouldn’t have hesitated to spend money on gems.

Same gems, different mentality. Their loss.

Kal Spiro.9745

Yeah indeed. But Anet seem to think it’s a good idea to waste a big part of the incentive to play by putting sought after items straight in the gem shop instead of having it in the game like it should be. Then they would see actually entertained players enter the gem shop to buy more bank/char slots and similar.

When my interest faded (again) about two months ago I had been struggling with space for quite a while, but I never found motivation to buy more space cause I wasn’t happy w/ the game. If they would’ve just put more of the well crafted items in the actual game I wouldn’t have hesitated to spend money on gems.

Hasn’t stopped me from making my 12th character, and 3rd Ranger, during the middle of the current LS. Just because you’re not entertained doesn’t mean no one is. I even bought the slot with real money instead of gold.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

I love how this is how anet is justified in making possibly the worst loot system in mmo history.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

Whatever happened to the idea of all the “items” that are in the gem store would also available/attainable through regular game play drops. And by “items” I am referring to the items under the “Style,” “Services,” “Special,” “Boosts,” and “Toys” tabs.

Thing is, as many fanboys would tell you, they technically get away with it because you can convert gold to gem and earn gold through gameplay.

Funny side of this is the Diablo franchise recently tried the same thing. Oh, we’ll just make the drops during gameplay horrific so that people will farm gold instead and use the auction house to get geared up. Nevermind the fact that half the appeal was getting awesome drops from the actual gameplay and not making “currency” the top priority (making it feel more grindy than ever). Since then they have corrected their mistake, but a tad too late.

ArenaNet obviously designed this system to be very similar in that people find it most rewarding to grind currency then actually feeling good about getting drops at a decent rate. However, they don’t seem to even recognize it as a problem. Personally, I feel that fixing the loot system would do wonders in making the actual gameplay intriguing and not a snoozefest, train-riding, speed-clearing gold grind.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

And then get ready for the counter-flood of ‘stupid white knight’ insults spewed at people who -gasp- like the game.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

(edited by ShinjoNaomi.1896)

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

Worst aesthetics design team of all online game…

I agree with this.
Compared to some other MMORPGs I have played, including the anime ones, GW2 clothes style is so lacking.
After 1.5 and almost 2 yrs of release, the selection of outfit look is saddening.

Anet, please hire better clothes and aesthetic designers >_<;;;

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

Posted by: Iplaytokill.1674

Iplaytokill.1674

And then get ready for the counter-flood of ‘stupid white knight’ insults spewed at people who -gasp- like the game.

There’s a difference there. I like the game, but I don’t defend it religiously like some people do. There’s a line between a fan and a fanatic.

Posted by: Cassio.9507

Cassio.9507

Hasn’t stopped me from making my 12th character, and 3rd Ranger, during the middle of the current LS. Just because you’re not entertained doesn’t mean no one is. I even bought the slot with real money instead of gold.

Glad you’re having fun still.

I have also spent real cash in the gem shop. What I’m saying is that I would still be doing that, not that I would start.

I’m writing about a change that I think would’ve made the game better, and you immediately feel the need to defend the fact that you still play. Wouldn’t it in fact be a better, more entertaining, game if these items were in the game rather than in the gem shop? Considering you actually do spend cash on char slots and similar Anet would still get money from you and likeminded players.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

Makes me kinda sad.

You can: Sell the stuff you get from bosses and save the gold you earn, then convert gold to gems.

Reading what you wrote has me scratching my head. Whats the point of the game if the entire design focuses on either

1. Spending Real Money for Gems
2. Farming for Days or Weeks for in game currency so you can convert it to gem’s

all to achieve the goal of getting the items you want? What are you really working for? What is the purpose behind that? There is no real achievement there other then to say you didn’t go crazy. Really you have nothing even remotely special to show for your time.

I guess when you think about it makes the entire game pointless as long as drop rates are so poor and you can buy gold from Anet directly.

ShinjoNaomi.1896

There’s a difference there. I like the game, but I don’t defend it religiously like some people do. There’s a line between a fan and a fanatic.

The opposite is just as true.
I have some issues with the game, but I don’t come here, make complaint after complaint in as vitriolic a way as possible either, while deriding anyone who has a different opinion then me.
Just as there is a line between fan and fanatic, there is a line between simply having an opinion and shoving it down other peoples throats ad nauseum if people don’t agree with you.

I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I think what you’d discover is that the bulk of the player base would rather just dump $10 on gems to buy something they want rather than grind through content either to A) Eventually get it in game or B) rely on RNG that it drops for them.

Posted by: Niko Stark.8932

Niko Stark.8932

I guess the rifle skins, helmet, back item skins, halo, and horns don’t count.

Yes, Anet is still a business and needs revenue in order for employees to earn money. I think they have a pretty good balance when it comes to their gemstore and in-game-only acquisition loadout.

To be fair, it doesn’t take much to earn enough gold to buy the armor/weapon skins from the gem store. 800 gems cost about 60~70G only IIRC. If you don’t want to pay for it, then save up some in-game currency for it. If you don’t want to pay for it with real money and you also don’t want to save up gold to buy the gems for it, then I don’t know why you even bother playing this game anymore. And in case you forgot again, there’s a lot of other non-gemstore items out there.

(edited by Niko Stark.8932)

Posted by: Iplaytokill.1674

Iplaytokill.1674

I have some issues with the game, but I don’t come here, make complaint after complaint in as vitriolic a way as possible either, while deriding anyone who has a different opinion then me.
Just as there is a line between fan and fanatic, there is a line between simply having an opinion and shoving it down other peoples throats ad nauseum if people don’t agree with you.

I respect the fact that you think so, and I do agree, but that’s not the topic of the thread. Flytrap’s sarcastic post has a hidden point, which is that a lot of people (not saying you or anybody in specific) will support whatever ANet does/is doing regardless of the consequences.

For example, the whole Fractals debacle. Another example, PVP balance and the crappy meta that has been around for months. ANet needs to be held accountable for it.

In over a year and a half since release, every new armor set has been gem-store only. The whole end-game has become the gem store. Every release, new gem store armor! New finishers, new weapon skins, new everything that has to be paid for in money! Or gold! Because there’s nothing else to spend gold on since there is nothing else being added to the game but gem store items.

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

The stuff in the gems store is fine but the problem is the inflation and the gap between the community.

We have the gold farmers and the TP flippers who are sitting on 30k to 200k golds which drivers up the gold -> gems.

And then we have the causal players sitting on 10-500 golds, mostly saving for something or invested in something and don’t want to pay the high gold -> gems exchange.

This model works for Anet as the causal players spend real money which some of it becomes gold in game and drives up gold > gems.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

I miss those contests :P

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Kal Spiro.9745

Glad you’re having fun still.

I have also spent real cash in the gem shop. What I’m saying is that I would still be doing that, not that I would start.

I’m writing about a change that I think would’ve made the game better, and you immediately feel the need to defend the fact that you still play. Wouldn’t it in fact be a better, more entertaining, game if these items were in the game rather than in the gem shop? Considering you actually do spend cash on char slots and similar Anet would still get money from you and likeminded players.

No, I’m not defending the fact that I still play. I’m pointing out that some people don’t have the same needs you do.

I don’t think it would improve the game for the items in the Gem shop to be available outside the Gem shop. I think it would just be a different situation. I might also appreciate it, just because it could make some of them more accessible for cheapskates, like I try to be. I’m not the type of person who is only gratified by earning a reward. My main character has been wearing the same Beetleton coat since he got it around level 15. I just kept transmuting it because I liked the aesthetic of that item.

I purchased one of the Aether armors for my Thief because I liked the aesthetic of that for him. It didn’t bother me that I didn’t have to go adventuring to get it. What mattered to me was being able to represent my character with the appearance that appealed to me.

If an item should be rare then it should be difficult to get, or limited in availability. If it’s not meant to be rare then it really doesn’t matter how, nor from where, it’s acquired.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I think there just needs to be some distinction between the two. Say, gem store armour/swords have texture animation effects (lava “flowing” over the texture etc), while ingame armour/weapons don’t have this, legendaries excepted.

They would both be able to be very fancy, with lighting effects and all. Just no flowing textures or reflect-elements.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I respect the fact that you think so, and I do agree, but that’s not the topic of the thread. Flytrap’s sarcastic post has a hidden point, which is that a lot of people (not saying you or anybody in specific) will support whatever ANet does/is doing regardless of the consequences.

For example, the whole Fractals debacle. Another example, PVP balance and the crappy meta that has been around for months. ANet needs to be held accountable for it.

In over a year and a half since release, every new armor set has been gem-store only. The whole end-game has become the gem store. Every release, new gem store armor! New finishers, new weapon skins, new everything that has to be paid for in money! Or gold! Because there’s nothing else to spend gold on since there is nothing else being added to the game but gem store items.

I respect that people will have different opinions. And that is perfectly fine (in fact, necessary for any improvement at all to happen.)

But, if we are going to say that it’s not the topic of this thread (which is a valid thing to say) then tell me how Flytrap’s sarcastic post helps things at all to begin with?
It does nothing but give a hostile throat-jab towards people who (for whatever reason) enjoy the game and happen to agree with how things are being done.
(Yeah yeah ‘Welcome to the internet, Shinjo…’ Doesn’t make it any less wrong…)

As for the topic at hand…
How many armor skins, weapon skins, items, etc. are in the game vs how many can be gained only from the Gem Store?
Has a side by side comparison been done yet? I honestly don’t know so I can’t weigh in on one side or the other on this… But it /seems/ to me that there are a lot more in the game already that can be gained without a single Gem needing to be spent.
Seriously, I’m rather curious about this now…

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Like, one gold per Scarlet Hologram run.

On average, isn’t it more?

It is more and we need more goldsinks not inflation so its good it dont drop gold

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Well, you get a Scarlet headpiece for free.
The Backpiece w/ different colors for farming and doing event.
Then there’s the 2 new rifles (that only 2 classes can use) that are a super rare lottery drop.
Do the Horns/Halo count?
Then there’s gem store gw1 weapons again and shoulders and gloves.

I guess what you want is more unique boss drops like the Rifles although those things are non existence and I know for a fact I wont get one, but I guess it’d of made sense to have more than just one weapon that only 2 classes use.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If you want a game that rewards skill, game time, coordination, and clearing interesting puzzles and encounters then you’ll want one with a sub.

That’s why you pay $15 a month for those games.

You want a “free” game then prepare to shell out $50-100 a month to obtain everything.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If you want a game that rewards skill, game time, coordination, and clearing interesting puzzles and encounters then you’ll want one with a sub.

That’s why you pay $15 a month for those games.

You want a “free” game then prepare to shell out $50-100 a month to obtain everything.

I haven’t played a p2p game that didn’t suck though. They just waste my money.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.