Behind the Walls

Behind the Walls

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Larzep.3241

Larzep.3241

This zone should be open now due to Scarlets machine being destroyed the walls next to Lion’s Arch shoudl be pretty well shattred to dust, so yeha maybe seek them out for help against the new dragon?

Attachments:

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

This zone should be open now due to Scarlets machine being destroyed the walls next to Lion’s Arch shoudl be pretty well shattred to dust, so yeha maybe seek them out for help against the new dragon?

I’d rather seek them out in order to pay them back for all the arrows they shot ino me during the LA evacuation event.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Larzep.3241

Larzep.3241

I never had chance to see that so i cannot judge them

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I can’t say I’m feeling very kindly towards Tengu after the LA evacuation, or at least the Tengu near the wall. Jerks.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Why would the wall be shattered? The thing ends before Garrenhoff. The Shuttered Gate is a standalone gate that the tengu built recently and won’t let people through because… no reason given other than “on the other side is the Dominion of Winds” they said – what they didn’t say was that there’s an entire strait, the Wizard’s Tower, and Garrenhoff (if not more) between the gate and the Dominion of Winds.

Yup, the Maguuma Jungle’s on the other side of that Shuttered Gate too!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I can’t say I’m feeling very kindly towards Tengu after the LA evacuation, or at least the Tengu near the wall. Jerks.

And I don’t blame the Tengu for their resentment of humans, they fled behind those walls because humans (albeit in Cantha) threatened their (and other non-humans) existence. So when anyone got close to the wall under the battle of Lion’s Arch, they were met with arrows, us the “good ones” as well as the Alliance forces of Scarlet Briar. They simply want to remain undisturbed – at least until Anet make a story that let us do more than meet their few trading emissaries.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Why would the wall be shattered? The thing ends before Garrenhoff. The Shuttered Gate is a standalone gate that the tengu built recently and won’t let people through because… no reason given other than “on the other side is the Dominion of Winds” they said – what they didn’t say was that there’s an entire strait, the Wizard’s Tower, and Garrenhoff (if not more) between the gate and the Dominion of Winds.

Yup, the Maguuma Jungle’s on the other side of that Shuttered Gate too!

someone once tried to type on map whole dominion of winds – and that gate there was much earlier – so just behind it there actually was dominion of the winds.

ah here I was an old screenie:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9t1l4liszyvteks/to%20jakto%20jest%20z%20tym%20dominion%20of%20the%20winds.jpg
sadly it quite incomplete but what we can see – on point where character was standing there is a gate in LA.
on southern part of kessex hills we can see wall – that is told to be dominion of the winds borders

also – and that’s the missing part – in some eastern area of maguuma we can see similar wall (on the sea) that have gate – also guarded by tengu’s

so conclusion can be one – dominion of the winds is actually on the couple of isles there – maybe with some additional structure that would make building all those walls having any sense.

haven’t see tengu’s nearby that wall while evacuation but actually knowing the race I can imagine what would they do – they’d kill anything that would try to get close to the gate – and I can’t blame them at all – we can’t forget that they were pushed out of own homelands in cantha time ago by xenophobic humans……
and they are quite xenophobic too.

I wouldn’t try to push them to see whats there – I’d leave them alone for time needed then maybe tried to make diplomatic contact with them

(and honestly tell me you would behave in other way when You would be betrayed and pushed out of home race that manage to get new place called home – and suddenly you’d see atack on unbelievable forces on the LA – I’d feel attacked by them and in confusion what the heck is going there I’d fire to everything that seems to getting close to the crushed gate – to make sure that my new home is safe)

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Behind the Walls

Konig Des Todes.2086

You’re missing my point completely. The wall we see in Caledon and Kessex is one huge wall that encircles the Dominion of Winds. In the novels we see a map which includes this wall and shows it to be fully enclosing – a full circut, without breaks. It does not reach Lion’ Arch. And if it did, then Garrenhoff, a port town, would be cut off from the Sea of Sorrows by said wall – but you do not see the wall there, because it does not extend that far. The Dominion of Winds is within that enclosed wall.

So what’s behind the Shuttered Gate cannot be the Dominion of Winds, because if it were then the wall should extend that far, but that in turn would cut off Garrenhoff from being a port town. So it would be logically impossible for A (the wall extending to Lion’s Arch’s border) and B (Garrenhoff being a port town) to be the case at the same time. It would create a paradox.

Furthermore, prior to the invasions, there were NPCs in White Crane Terrace that was complaining about the tengu not letting them pass along their trade route – this implies that the Shuttered Gate is relatively new, unlike the 100 year old Dominion of Winds, given that if it was as old as the Dominion of Winds (thus the Dominion actually being behind there), the merchants wouldn’t consider that a trade route.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

So, since it’s not the Dominion of Winds that’s behind the gate… then what is? Surely, the tengu wouldn’t build a gate just to kitten off merchants. There’s a fairly large inaccessible area behind it, that can’t be land connected to the Dominion.

So, I can think of three plausible explanations.

1. A tengu port. Means for the tengu to move to Lion’s Arch, and from there all over Tyria.
  2. A tengu fort. A fort built to protect the Dominion from north.
  3. A second tengu city. Destroyers have surfaced in Dominion of the Winds, so the tengu have started evacuating the populace to another, safer, location.
Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

If the tengu-built wall at the edge of Lion’s Arch is manned by tengu who tell me that it’s the border of the Dominion of winds, and the Captains Council hasn’t kicked them out, I’m going to be inclined to respect what they’re saying as true.

As for that squiggly line on the book map, keep in mind that the map excludes all the rectangular zone boundaries and weird distance tricks that shape the world in the game client. They are two distinct representations of the same world, (three if you include GW1’s map), made from different perspectives and for different purposes.

Have you ever stood in the northeastern parts of Queensdale, looked at the rightmost edge of Divinity’s Reach, and compared that to what your minimap was showing you in the same direction? Or climbed the glass and metal hawk above the Queen’s Pavilion and seen how the city walls are peppered with dollhouses?

Distances and landscapes in Tyria are shown to us through varied artistic representation, often using trickery or otherwise skewing perceptions, and should not be taken literally. There isn’t yet a map of Tyria that could be considered canonically accurate.

I should be writing.

Behind the Walls

Konig Des Todes.2086

So, since it’s not the Dominion of Winds that’s behind the gate… then what is? Surely, the tengu wouldn’t build a gate just to kitten off merchants. There’s a fairly large inaccessible area behind it, that can’t be land connected to the Dominion.

1. A tengu port. Means for the tengu to move to Lion’s Arch, and from there all over Tyria.
  3. A second tengu city. Destroyers have surfaced in Dominion of the Winds, so the tengu have started evacuating the populace to another, safer, location.

Originally, the tengu were one of the considered playable races. This may have connected to their lvl 1-15 zone. So I don’t think that it’s any of those, but more of “remnants of the entrance to a scrapped zone which could have anything now”.

In terms of lore, that area was once D’Alessio Seaboard, which had the Temple of Tolerance and a small town further west (which may be Garrenhoff), as well as Hakewood to the east.

So unless Hakewood and the Temple of Tolerance were completely destroyed and never rebuilt, that’s at least where the merchants would be going. The tengu are likely trying to expand their territory (could be due to destroyers), and they’re blocking off that new territory off. But since there’s a gate in Garrenhoff going east (where that supposed starter zone would get its second entrance no doubt – with the third being the dominion of winds itself), the entire area isn’t likely to be solely tengu-controlled. Otherwise, they left their backdoor way open.

As for that squiggly line on the book map, keep in mind that the map excludes all the rectangular zone boundaries and weird distance tricks that shape the world in the game client. They are two distinct representations of the same world, (three if you include GW1’s map), made from different perspectives and for different purposes.

If you look at the wall from Kessex, you can see that the wall turns dead south before hitting Garrenhoff.

Distances and landscapes in Tyria are shown to us through varied artistic representation, often using trickery or otherwise skewing perceptions, and should not be taken literally. There isn’t yet a map of Tyria that could be considered canonically accurate.

It’s equally likely that, in some cases, it is the maps that are the accurate ones, and the scales of the game we see are the inaccurate ones. We outright know from Ghosts of Ascalon that some bordering mountains are not there in lore, but used solely for mechanics. We also know the scaling of distances in the open world is far from as large as they would be in lore (as it takes 3 days of fast travel to reach Ascalon City from Ebonhawke, and this is a more or less straight line through the Secluded Glen straight into Plains of Ashford and the Ascalon Basin – the trip of Dougal Keane and co. in Ghosts of Ascalon; while gamewise, it’d take less of an hour in our forced “detour” route).

Dear ANet writers,

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Originally, the tengu were one of the considered playable races. This may have connected to their lvl 1-15 zone. So I don’t think that it’s any of those, but more of “remnants of the entrance to a scrapped zone which could have anything now”.

In terms of lore, that area was once D’Alessio Seaboard, which had the Temple of Tolerance and a small town further west (which may be Garrenhoff), as well as Hakewood to the east.

So unless Hakewood and the Temple of Tolerance were completely destroyed and never rebuilt, that’s at least where the merchants would be going. The tengu are likely trying to expand their territory (could be due to destroyers), and they’re blocking off that new territory off. But since there’s a gate in Garrenhoff going east (where that supposed starter zone would get its second entrance no doubt – with the third being the dominion of winds itself), the entire area isn’t likely to be solely tengu-controlled. Otherwise, they left their backdoor way open.

Ah, yes, I’m aware of the tengu once being a planned playable race, though I did forget to take into account the development history in my post. However, that doesn’t answer what’s in there here and now, lorewise.

Temple of Tolerance may have been destroyed during the events of War in Kryta, or abandoned after the White Mantle was overthrown. Hakewood could have been flooded with the tidal wave that destroyed Lion’s Arch. Mays and coulds aside, we have an area separated by a hefty gate built and guarded by tengu from Lion’s Arch, which, looking at the map or from Garrenhof and Claw Island, can’t be a part of the same walled in complex as the Dominion of Winds further south. Yet, before LA was destroyed, the tengu guarding the gate claimed that the location was Dominion of Winds. What this leaves me with is that beyond the shuttered gate, is an area that the tengu consider an extension of their walled city. However, as you pointed out, the gate in Garrenhow attest to that the tengu-occupied are doesn’t extend to the edge of Kessex Hills – but then again, in most cases, zone boundaries are arbitrary when it comes to lore.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Behind the Walls

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I’d rather seek them out in order to pay them back for all the arrows they shot ino me during the LA evacuation event.

Before the battle they warned people from getting to close to the wall. You really are going to hold them responsible for keeping anybody from approaching the wall during a battle with lots of explosives and miasma? There was even some dredge who spawn and rush the wall during the battle… They simply safeguarded their gate.

Have you ever stood in the northeastern parts of Queensdale, looked at the rightmost edge of Divinity’s Reach, and compared that to what your minimap was showing you in the same direction? Or climbed the glass and metal hawk above the Queen’s Pavilion and seen how the city walls are peppered with dollhouses?

The DR you can see from queensdale is basically the gate area. You can see where it ‘ends’ and it matches the map… they simply didn’t model the wall continueing onward.

As for distances/landscapes, I’d wager them to be mostly accurate. Likely some borders may simply be hills instead of a small mountain, but remember in realism, people don’t run constantly… they have to take breaks :P.

Behind the Walls

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

My theory, is that the shuttered gate doesn’t lead to the actual Dominion of Winds “city”, but rather leads to what the Tengu consider waters controlled by the Dominion of Winds and, possibly, a Tengu controlled port.

I say this because, looking at both maps, it looks like the area immediately West of LA is almost entirely water. Stormbluff Isle and Garenhoff’s Castle seem to be the only pieces of “land” existing in that area, other than the actual coast, which seems to be the backside of a mountain (so it’s probably cliffs). Controlling those waters would be a good way to protect their Eastern wall from attacks by sea.

(edited by videoboy.4162)