Elite Thugs

Elite Thugs

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

Could someone help me understand the massive damage that these guys are dishing out to players. My combat log shows them dealing in excess of 15k damage randomly (once hit for 42k). Is there some time of animation to show players when they are about to drop a nuke?

Elite Thugs

Posted by: insaneshadow.1654

insaneshadow.1654

Those thugs drop their version of Battle Standard; I’ve been hit pretty hard by level 84 Elite Thugs’ Battle Standards. A lot of times you’ll see dead players near or directly under those battle standards, or maybe they didn’t see his wind-up attack that flattens anyone in front of him.

Also, yes, you can look for their animation to avoid it. When they’re about to hit you with that interrupt/flatten hammer strike they hold their hammer behind them for a few seconds (might be 4-5 seconds). Their Battle Standard move (that’s the heavy hitting one) they hold one hand up towards the sky (basically like any warrior would do when they activate their Battle Standard Elite skill) which takes, I’m guessing around, 3 seconds.

They’re really easy to avoid on your own, but if you’re in a zerg it’ll be 10x more difficult to see coming since so much is going on on your screen.

Gust Root | Letum Folium | Lo Bridge | Snow Spot | Roland East | Nascharr | Bjorn Microbrew
Yak’s Bend
Lincoln Force [BOMB]

(edited by insaneshadow.1654)

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

Thanks for the reply and information! I’m sure you’re right that there’s so much animation going on it’s just hard to see. Which brings up another discussion entirely

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Elite Thugs

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Those battle standard attacks are nuts. I have good toughness and was hit by 34,000 twice as two walloped them down and killed absolutely everyone in sight.

…and considering my toughness level, that would have hit most people for double that.

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

And on top of all that I don’t think they are giving exp when you kill them.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

i actually never see the animations, but i “hear” it. I’m used to run aether path daily and the enemies inside drop that banners as well. You can clearly hear when they are doing it so you can dodge away. The sound is quite specific for that attack.

Actually it’s so specificic that i was in Lions Arch attack for the first time a few days ago and i didn’t know there was aetherblades in there, i didn’t pay attention at what i was killing and i was just zerging with 10-15 more players. Then i suddenly heard that sound… and my instincts made me Dodge. 4-5 players died and i was surprised at how i was able to avoid that hit just because i’m used to the sound.

It’s a touching moment for me, a sound that made a bound with me, the difference between dead or alive.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

Elite Thugs

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I must start playing with headphones, as trying to pick out that sound from all the other battle noises (never mind the constant electric crackle from strikers and taskmasters) is virtually impossible.

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I must start playing with headphones, as trying to pick out that sound from all the other battle noises (never mind the constant electric crackle from strikers and taskmasters) is virtually impossible.

Well, apparently it’s not. Also, how would headphones help with that? You would still hear the very same sounds; just closer to your ears.

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Thugs also stack Might on themselves. They are very, VERY dangerous foes. If facing one alone, I always have to use kite and shoot tactics rather than facing them head-on.

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Wraithslicer.7045

Wraithslicer.7045

I recently decided to play my thief again, I found Death Blossom to be a godsend. My main is a ranger, and I can say that range is the best way to go if you can’t evade like crazy.

Elite Thugs

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Not yet highlighted is the level difference. With elites (already just shy of cahmpion status) 4 levels higher than you, expect a lot of 2-shotting.