Enough with the zergs already...

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

The funniest thing is if you want to do anything in the city, you need to slip the zerg . And yet people just try to zerg everything.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

@ Jeff.4680

You call that leeching from other ppl who are playing as a team. To just go all in dmg in these events you will die you will die very fast you need some type of support and cc also the ability to move the mobs. DO NOT LET THE ACTION OF A FEW LEECHES DAM EVERY ONE THERE.
Bit too much caps-lock there sry i am not yelling just a very important point to be made about a real mindless zerg vs a group zerg.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

Posted by: Thorn.7963

Thorn.7963

It’s an invasion. What were you expecting, organized duels? :P

Exactly my thinking. I’m not particularly sure what you guys are expecting. We are on the defensive and trying to rescue citizens wherever we can find them. It’s not like marionette where we are on the offensive and trying to destroy a super weapon before it can be used. We were completed obliterated this time around, the zerg mentality fits perfectly well. It’s a war, the main city just got demolished, everything is chaotic, you wouldn’t be wandering around the city alone in this scenario would you? Even if you were, you wouldn’t be foolish enough to tackle a large group of monsters alone.

You’re missing the point. The idea of a large scale warfare isn’t bad. The problem is this event is nothing but massing up into massive piles of bodies and chaos and mashing your skills against HP sponges with little to no strategy. We did this before in the Scarlet Invasions and its getting old and it seems its all ANet knows with how to make PvE content.

And good luck coordinating people to split into groups to tackle the various events or god forbid respawn and run back instead of sitting there dead.

Posted by: Miroe.2054

Miroe.2054

1. In “escape” you can search for survivors solo or in a small group
2. If your class is “boring” to solo, accept the zerg or reroll
3. I you want rewards, spread out, look for survivors and converge at events when they appear near you, then spread out again. The reward scales with the number of rescued citizens

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

The funniest thing is if you want to do anything in the city, you need to slip the zerg . And yet people just try to zerg everything.

1. In “escape” you can search for survivors solo or in a small group
2. If your class is “boring” to solo, accept the zerg or reroll
3. I you want rewards, spread out, look for survivors and converge at events when they appear near you, then spread out again. The reward scales with the number of rescued citizens

How to “Escape from LA”:
1) Character Select: Guardian
2) Equip Staff. Follow the Zerg.
3) Spam 1 + heals + virtues + stability/aegs/regen shouts
4) Collect tons of loot. (138 Bags of Alliance Supplies last run + Full inventory normal drops)
5) Bring Mystic Salvage kit + black lion merchant + Storage Golem/Access Key.

No skill. All zerg. All reward.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I’m already bored.

Mindless Zerg is not my idea of fun.

Please keep posting this to every thread, I am sure someone here doesn’t yet know your extremely 1 dimensional opinion.

Posted by: Thorn.7963

Thorn.7963

I’m already bored.

Mindless Zerg is not my idea of fun.

Please keep posting this to every thread, I am sure someone here doesn’t yet know your extremely 1 dimensional opinion.

My opinion is just as valid to discuss as those who go around saying “Great job Anet!”

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Successfully duo’d many events with my gf over the course of several attacks. You don’t have to go with the zerg if it ain’t your thing. This event is actually pretty solo/small group friendly.
Furthermore, to reach the highest reward tier (1500 survivors) I strongly suspect that zergs will have to break into relatively small groups(10 or so people?) in order to cover the map and complete everything.

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Successfully duo’d many events with my gf over the course of several attacks. You don’t have to go with the zerg if it ain’t your thing. This event is actually pretty solo/small group friendly.
Furthermore, to reach the highest reward tier (1500 survivors) I strongly suspect that zergs will have to break into relatively small groups(10 or so people?) in order to cover the map and complete everything.

No you are crazy, its 100% zerg like always… the fact that zerging gets you to only 500 survivors is just your imagination. Also the loot is terrible, I didnt get a precursor in the hour I played today.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Dont see how they could put in open world content involving the invasion of a large city and not have it be zerg content, though it is too easy with that many people. Still harder events that scale based on # of people (i thought this was supposed to happen more) you can actually fail and get no loot from would make it more interesting, but it makes sense they made it easy so casual gamers dont have to worry. It does get boring after 1 run but if its that boring then go wvw or do a dungeon or something until its after primetime and you can get in an instance of it with a smaller zerg.

I mean if people are playing a game for super challenging 5-10 man instanced pve content they why are they in gw2 and not in wow or something.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: battledrone.8315

battledrone.8315

good for the hardcores, bad for the casuals
10 mins was enough for me, no matter what shinies they throw at me
i hope they end it soon..like tomorrow
the best part was the intro cinematic

(edited by battledrone.8315)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Zergs don’t have to happen, they don’t need to happen, if people make the effort to do something different. If this is a zergfest, it is because the players aren’t thinking outside the zergfest box.

The first run in the new LA I was a part of, (in an overflow, mind you) immediately after the patch, there was no tidal wave zerg of people, running mindlessly around. There were several commanders who each focused on a quadrant of LA, and people joined them there. Even with the miasma being already half full, we saved almost 900 citizens, and got most of the rewards. We did awesome, without a major zerg in sight.

Each time since then, I’ve seen nothing but Wall O Players zerging, less than 400 citizens rescued every time, and most of the events failing, because the zerg is off doing something else.

Don’t want it to be a zergfest? Stop zerging all over the map. Actively resist just being a zerg. Split into smaller groups and kill, kill, kill. Rescue more people, because that gets everyone more and snazzier rewards.

This.

Zerging into a ball makes the event overall LESS effective… but players continue zerging up because they think that’s what gets them the most loot. Even when it doesn’t.

Player-side problem.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Zerging back for the toxic event was fun, but this one is a bit too chaotic. Even with commanders, everyone seems to run around pretty lost.

I left the zerg and went solo to revive dead NPCs in the forgotten corners of LA. It was a lot more fun, but less loot. Sadly, I couldn’t save all of the NPCs before the miasma came along.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Why is it every patch has to require a zerg to play?

I guess it’s cool for everyone else, but personally I can’t even play this stuff. I’m on a university network, and my university hates zergs. I mean, I can’t even get skills off or talk in chat. Crazy lag. No, it’s not my frame rate.

Really getting nostalgic about Guild Wars 1 instances… :/

The issue is that without instancing them, which means solo or no more than 5, it has to be ready for zergs. Why? Because everyone will be doing the “shiney new content”.

So it’s either dungeons (which people have complained about as well and will be temporary anyways), story instances (which are usually lackluster), or open world (thus have to be balanced for the inevitable zergfest that will happen, designed for or not).

The only way to prevent this is to bring out a lot of content at once (which seems out of Anet’s scope for some unknown reason – seriously, their company of 200+ cannot possibly be having such issues for such little content built in 4 months when Nightfall came out 6 months after Factions, roughly), and/or make it intended to remain long after the hype dies down – which means either making it scale for both low and high numbers, or allowing it to break with high (or low) numbers.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Adhal.3187

Adhal.3187

lol k so OP wants a small group to retake an entire city. Thank god he isn’t a game developer.

Just like a small group conquers the dead city of Arah and Zhaitan?

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

Why is it every patch has to require a zerg to play?

I guess it’s cool for everyone else, but personally I can’t even play this stuff. I’m on a university network, and my university hates zergs. I mean, I can’t even get skills off or talk in chat. Crazy lag. No, it’s not my frame rate.

Really getting nostalgic about Guild Wars 1 instances… :/

The issue is that without instancing them, which means solo or no more than 5, it has to be ready for zergs. Why? Because everyone will be doing the “shiney new content”.

So it’s either dungeons (which people have complained about as well and will be temporary anyways), story instances (which are usually lackluster), or open world (thus have to be balanced for the inevitable zergfest that will happen, designed for or not).

The only way to prevent this is to bring out a lot of content at once (which seems out of Anet’s scope for some unknown reason – seriously, their company of 200+ cannot possibly be having such issues for such little content built in 4 months when Nightfall came out 6 months after Factions, roughly), and/or make it intended to remain long after the hype dies down – which means either making it scale for both low and high numbers, or allowing it to break with high (or low) numbers.

Hmm, I wonder if they could just tweak the player cap for the zone. Leave it as “open-world” as it currently is, but start a new overflow at a much lower number of players (e.g. 25 or 50). This could leave the feeling of open world, large scale content but may further discourage zerging, assuming they spread out multiple objectives.

Of course, I could be entirely mistaken about the effects of that type of change, but it would seem worthy of testing.

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

No you are crazy, its 100% zerg like always… the fact that zerging gets you to only 500 survivors is just your imagination. Also the loot is terrible, I didnt get a precursor in the hour I played today.

If your definition of “good loot” is getting a precursor you must live in a world of constant disappointment and I’m sorry for you.

I was part of an overflow earlier that managed 2K citizens and even though my friends and I weren’t in a zerg for most of it I got nearly three times the amount of loot as the one I spent entirely in a zerg that only got 400 citizens.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

This is more or less the last straw for me, I’ve had enough of this trash updates.

Every update is the same with a different texture: zerg here zerg there > kill mindless mobs > rinse and repeat. Whether it’s “Scarlet’s Minions have invaded place xxxxxxxx” or the events in LA now, there isn’t any difference.

This game had great potential, now it’s a pile of trash.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

When I see threads like this all I read is;

Desire: to be in a game with a million others and to be special and stand out.
Reality: you are just as special as everyone else and dislike it.

If you want solo content go and buy an additional game. Right now I’m playing the new Final Fantasy XIII-3 for solo content. Then still playing GW2 for it’s large scale content. I never had such expectations that one game platform could be great at everything.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Zerg Wars 2: The Zergening

I’m impressed with all the changes to Lion’s Arch, the Vigil Keep (looks great!) and the surrounding areas. A lot of work went into them. The overall effect is quite striking and — dare I say — epic?

Unfortunately, I literally fell asleep about a half hour into my first run into Lion’s Arch.

Granted, I was low on sleep to begin with, but it didn’t help that I had already gone from spending quite a bit of time zerging the Marionette events over the past few weeks when I wasn’t zerging in WvW (I prefer roaming, but our commanders have been pushing to keep us ahead, and I couldn’t ignore the call).

When I fought my way in with yet another zerg into an overflow instance, I was curious to see what the “new” Lion’s Arch looks like, but spent most of the time trying to tag mobs for loot before the zerg burned them down. When I wasn’t staying in the zerg, I was surrounded by scads of veterans and elites that were presumably upscaled because of the zergs running within their scaling radius, forcing me to constantly dodge, break stuns and do just about anything other than explore the map.

Given my Mesmer main’s gross unsuitability for zerg-tagging, I found myself back on the Charr Shortbow Thief I geared up for WvW, tagging away yet again. Despite my interest in at least making my way around the map, I just couldn’t stay awake. It was just the same old grind in a different neighborhood.

I really appreciate what ArenaNet is trying to do with the Living World and I’m not knocking that at all. I understand that special events will attract a lot of players at once, and that a lot of players will tend to mean zerging.

But I also know the same talented people who have brought us “Zerg Wars 2” have it in them to give us a more direct and compelling experience as individual players, even in the midst of epic events, and I would really like to see more future releases do just that.

In the meantime, I have now rested up and am about to head back into Lion’s Arch. My Thief has loads of stealth she can use to sneak past the worst of the mob blobs, and I’m already burned out on the idea of zerging for shinies, so my new goal is seeing if I can find some zerg-free (or at least zerg-light) entertainment somewhere in the ashes of Lion’s Arch.

Here’s hoping that in her search for fun, my slippery cat burglar won’t come up empty-pawed.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

(edited by Majic.4801)

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Zerging back for the toxic event was fun, but this one is a bit too chaotic. Even with commanders, everyone seems to run around pretty lost.

I left the zerg and went solo to revive dead NPCs in the forgotten corners of LA. It was a lot more fun, but less loot. Sadly, I couldn’t save all of the NPCs before the miasma came along.

I take back what I said. I left the zerg again and went solo – ended up with more loot than before.

It’s much, much more fun going alone, than following the zerg. I feel like a WvW scouter in PvE.

Posted by: puretuga.9603

puretuga.9603

we have a zerg, then Anet create a zerg of commanders :P
http://gyazo.com/1ec62c1ad66dbc6374246f3f6152d768.png

Posted by: warbreaker.8154

warbreaker.8154

… and then ArenaNet created Wurm, and everyone cried and refused to do it because it forced you to communicate and work together and was wholly un-zergable. My server’s given up on it entirely.

Like many people have already said, this event was created specifically with the intention to break up a zerg. Just because people continue to zerg in spite of that isn’t ArenaNet’s fault and is out of their hands at that point. I’ve been an admin of games before, and I can tell you that there’s nothing more frustrating than when players cry and blame you and beg you to fix something that you can’t fix no matter how hard you try because the playerbase is the problem. But no one wants to acknowledge that their peers much just be a bunch of stupid kittens who will never be happy for any concession you make for them and are actually the ones ruining it for everyone.

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Mainly the reason why zergs are happening is because the enemies aren’t exactly challenging enough, stacking is happening because of clumsy AI, and zergs are happening because of mundane AI. They should have much better pathfinding, maybe a fly mode (where you have to range them as they fly around throwing projectiles and explosives), and have different types of attacks that are much more unique than simply “do this condition!” “swing this sword!” They should have “do this massive explosion that push back players!” and ’lift rock from the ground and push them into the air!" Which makes positioning much more important than simply walking over everything.

I also really like the lasers, they make you move and everything but are quite uncommon and are too slow to charge. Enemy respawns are too fast (nothing new here), and makes it feel quite cheap personally. I want to see armies coming out of the water, airships landing on the ground, and bosses having challenging and unique attacks! Something that makes players remember them, even though if it’s filled with hate. If players rant about a part where the boss throws flying projectiles at you while you platform, or how their team complains can’t exactly coordinate to hit the weakspot of the boss, then you’re doing good. If players celebrate their big victory after a challenging battle, where it does ever-lasting change, that’s even better.

A-Net, have players win by outsmarting enemies and having tactics, not having numbers and mashing skills. Because most of the time in the whole GW2, while fun at times, I mash my skills. Yes, the wurm was perfect, keep it, but the playerbase isn’t a family unfortunately, have it scale down like dynamic events.

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

The problem with Wurm is that its open world content, which means that a bunch of newbies or griefers can come and ruin the event. This sort of content belongs in an instance as a clasic raid. Then guilds or teams can organize and do it without worry.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

zergs are always gonna happen in guild wars. this game is focused alot around team work and not solo adventuring, least in cases of invasions and attacks. Its suppose to be 1 army clashing against another.

#ELEtism

battledrone.8315

how long will this go on, anyway?
im not playing this game , until its over

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

If I had wanted to play with other people, I would have joined an MMO!

warbreaker.8154

The problem with Wurm is that its open world content, which means that a bunch of newbies or griefers can come and ruin the event. This sort of content belongs in an instance as a clasic raid. Then guilds or teams can organize and do it without worry.

The game was made and sold on the idea of open world content. There isn’t a single raiding instance in the whole game. Never has been. Hopefully never will be. Raids also revolve around the axis of the classic trinity, which is also not present in this game. If that’s what you want, I’m not really sure what you’re doing playing this game in the first place. You’re best off finding another MMO.

(edited by warbreaker.8154)

Posted by: Amok Threeohthree.8501

Amok Threeohthree.8501

Great news!!

Go play something else and don’t come back

battledrone.8315

The game was made and sold on the idea of open world content. There isn’t a single raiding instance in the whole game. Never has been. Hopefully never will be. Raids also revolve around the axis of the classic trinity, which is also not present in this game. If that’s what you want, I’m not really sure what you’re doing playing this game in the first place. You’re best off finding another MMO.

open World? LA WAS open..now , its closed, unless, im a raider
they turned the biggest transport hub into a RAIDING INSTANCE
its not the fact, that the hardcores get content
its the fact, that they removed a functional part of the game, to make it

battledrone.8315

Great news!!

Go play something else and don’t come back

swtors defenders said the same
look, what they got

warbreaker.8154

open World? LA WAS open..now , its closed, unless, im a raider
they turned the biggest transport hub into a RAIDING INSTANCE
its not the fact, that the hardcores get content
its the fact, that they removed a functional part of the game, to make it

I’m being trolled, aren’t I.

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

lol k so OP wants a small group to retake an entire city. Thank god he isn’t a game developer.

id rather retake the entire city in a 5 player group and have challenging fights than running around in circles with 200 people like completely braindead monkeys.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

The Blame Game

.Like many people have already said, this event was created specifically with the intention to break up a zerg. Just because people continue to zerg in spite of that isn’t ArenaNet’s fault and is out of their hands at that point. I’ve been an admin of games before, and I can tell you that there’s nothing more frustrating than when players cry and blame you and beg you to fix something that you can’t fix no matter how hard you try because the playerbase is the problem. But no one wants to acknowledge that their peers much just be a bunch of stupid kittens who will never be happy for any concession you make for them and are actually the ones ruining it for everyone.

Games that are designed with contempt for the players reflect it in their design. It’s a kind of karma, in the same way that obnoxious people tend to think everyone else is obnoxious because they don’t respond warmly to constant abuse.

Game designers that blame players for problems with their games condemn themselves to never making better games. It’s not an attitude found among successful designers, and certainly not an approach that allows for improvement.

Players zerg in GW2 because that’s the way the content has trained us to play. I’m not a zerg follower by nature and didn’t buy GW2 because I wanted to zerg. The main draws for me were things like non-competitive PvE (no haggling over loot, nodes or kill credit) and the ability to experience seamless solo and no-hassle ad hoc group play at will without having to wait around and beg for groups — all within an incredibly beautiful game world that won my undying affection during my very first beta weekend event, oh so long ago.

At its heart, Guild Wars 2 is a liberating and thoroughly enjoyable game. It is, in fact, the best game I’ve ever played of any genre. Period. It’s so good, it has ruined other MMOs for me, including my beloved LOTRO, with my two life subscriptions doomed to remain unused after five years of faithful service unless and until the game were to suddenly turn into a GW2 clone with hobbits.

The players aren’t the problem. If anything, the GW2 community is fairly typical of any gaming community, with the notable plus of all of us having the good taste to play such a superior game.

ArenaNet doesn’t blame the players for problems with GW2. It’s not how they roll, and I’ve never seen even so much as a hint of such a sentiment from anyone who works there.

We are playing the game ArenaNet has made for us. I think it could use less zerging and a more compelling experience for each of us as players.

I’m not blaming them, us or anyone else for how things are. It’s not about assigning blame, because there’s no point in it. I just think there’s room for improvement, and I’m confident the devs think so too.

Keep giving us your best, ArenaNet, because as imperfect as it may be, it’s already the best anyone offers.

Just don’t give up making it better. I’m counting on you!

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

(edited by Majic.4801)

chemiclord.3978

Oh, you’re right that Arena.net isn’t blaming the players for zerging through their content.

But players CAN and SHOULD note that it’s rather disingenuous for players to complain about zerging, and the counter that players zerg because it’s the most rewarding when:

1) Zerging ISN’T more rewarding, and
2) Players continue to zerg up even when presented with that fact.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hmm, I wonder if they could just tweak the player cap for the zone. Leave it as “open-world” as it currently is, but start a new overflow at a much lower number of players (e.g. 25 or 50). This could leave the feeling of open world, large scale content but may further discourage zerging, assuming they spread out multiple objectives.

Of course, I could be entirely mistaken about the effects of that type of change, but it would seem worthy of testing.

I imagine they can, but that it’d be for all zones and not just one particular zone, thus already empty zones will feel emptier, and already full zones like Queensdale will overflow more often. And doing such, also means rebalancing Tequatl and Triple Wurm.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: CoffeeMakesMeSmile.8172

CoffeeMakesMeSmile.8172

I thought the small instances in the tower of nightmares was a nice idea (the chambers) – especially as it was much easier for a Zerg to run up the tower so it was nice to break off and party up with friends or even solo a chamber if you fancied a break. They were a little visually repetitive as every chamber looked the same, but I still enjoyed them a lot.

I think it would have been kind of fun to have something like that with this update too. Maybe you could speak to a certain Npc in one of the camps and volunteer as a solo player or with a party to go on a mission to rescue civilians who were trapped in an instanced area, like in the sewers or even in a sunken building or something. It would make sense that you’d only need a small team to rescue people from a small area.

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

I zerg because I like it.
Chaotic open world massive battles are my thing.

Posted by: Paraka.9724

Paraka.9724

The issue is, look at the old, untouched content.

Maw is now zerged daily, Shadow Beast too. Did they make these fights with the intent on “training” us to zerg them? No, I highly doubt that. It’s just a mindset that happens when one comes in without prior knowledge and assists somehow by pressing buttons. Over time more come and do it, and in the end it is the player-side mentality that keeps this zerging afloat.

Aside from that note, this is an invasion-based event. Not once have I seen an MMO use an invasion of any kind that wasn’t zergy. WoW, City of Heroes, Ragnarok… This just seems to be one of those events that lends itself to the zerg. Not to say they can’t, but c’mon, the NPCs are practically zerging the city as well.

But I must say, it has been the most intense zergings I have been in, it’s a constant, unrelenting fight.

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

I imagine they can, but that it’d be for all zones and not just one particular zone, thus already empty zones will feel emptier, and already full zones like Queensdale will overflow more often. And doing such, also means rebalancing Tequatl and Triple Wurm.

Yeah, if they can only do it on a global level, that would be a non-starter. Would be beat if they could do it for specific LS events though.

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

To kill the zerg, make several event happens at same time, and no mobs drop loot on death, but the progress of rescues and events won creates a zone progress and graded loot chest popups, also cap each event to max of certain mobs.

Then players would have to split up for better loot, now event are maxed out so over attendance does nothing extra, mob tagging is not a significant factor either, then you encourage zerg across the whole map.

chemiclord.3978

To kill the zerg, make several event happens at same time, and no mobs drop loot on death, but the progress of rescues and events won creates a zone progress and graded loot chest popups, also cap each event to max of certain mobs.

Then players would have to split up for better loot, now event are maxed out so over attendance does nothing extra, mob tagging is not a significant factor either, then you encourage zerg across the whole map.

That actually IS how Lions’ Arch Under Attack works. You are given increasingly better rewards the better you do, and the way to get the best score is to split up, break the zerg, and focus on zone coverage.

The only way it could be MORE inclined to break up the zerg is if those rewards were the ONLY rewards you got… and by God could you imagine the incendiary fury in this forum if THAT was the case?

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

I really want to see screenshots from the gains in inventories of people saying a specific way is more rewarding from a single run. How many alliance supply bags did you get in a single run doing it your way? Was your inventory completely filled with loot when you left? Yes, loot. Its the only thing you keep.

The reason for this is obvious and non-sarcastic:
If I go from my 120-150 bags per run average with full inventory to 70 bags average with a +30 reward at the end so you can go from +10 bag reward to +30 bag reward and barely clear 100 bags in small group and 75% full inventory, then… zerging it is indeed the most effective way, you’re just doing it wrong.

But you’re getting 150-180 bags in small group and full inventory than small group is the most effective way.

Yes, small group split up may get more bonuses, but if the amount of loot I get from tag, aoe loot, warp to next zerg exceeds the amount of loot I get from the event “coordination” bonuses, the design is irrelevant after i finish APs. Anet needs to consider that.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

honestly what do you expect from them? it’s been clear to me for a long time that they don’t posses the skills to create enticing content that doesn’t turn into a zergfest. So my advice is to just blindly dodge here and there while spamming 1 on your guardian staff.

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Pveasy in every game ever made is a no skill loot conveyor belt. It’s not going to stop just because you’ve realised it takes no skill.

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

That actually IS how Lions’ Arch Under Attack works. You are given increasingly better rewards the better you do, and the way to get the best score is to split up, break the zerg, and focus on zone coverage.

The only way it could be MORE inclined to break up the zerg is if those rewards were the ONLY rewards you got… and by God could you imagine the incendiary fury in this forum if THAT was the case?

No it is more inclined for the Zergs to go back to champ trains and less will get done. There would be no fury they would just move on and the events would be over-tune for the size of the groups trying to deal with them.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

I find it hilarious players find the excuse ‘well it’s an invasion-it’s supposed to be a zergfest’ to hold any merit-clearly it shows they’ve never done any form of tactical thinking in their life. Some of you should play SC2-when a player nydus worm/warp prism harras/terran drops into your base, try sending all your units to attack by attack-move somewhere in that general location without making on-the-moment assessments of the enemy force’s strengths and weaknesses and decide how you can use your forces to minimize damage supplemented with a heavy amount of micromanagement. No no no, one would think that especially because it’s an invasion strategy would be paramount.

Also, am I to believe this city has no contingency plans for invasion from say idk….A FREAKING UNDEAD ELDER DRAGON that has been terrorizing the world so as to make a plant catch them with their pants down?

I would love to see them use mechanics that are already in game as part of these larger events. Bosses/mobs only vulnerable after being exposed to light fields, mobs/bosses that need their armor destroyed by blast finishers, mobs/bosses that prioritize attacking ppl with lots of boons-or a particular boon, mobs/bosses that prioritize ranged attackers…you know something-anything fun/interesting.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Jeff.4680, just do not follow zerg. No one force you to do it. Today I ran exploring new Lion’s Arch, fought with mobs, ressed citizens. You are the one who make decision to follow zerg or not.

Yeah and get zero rewards out of it.

Thats what i do too and definitely dont get zero rewards for it. No doubt you’re going to get less rewards sure but then again the only reason you get more rewards by following the zerg is because the zerg upscales the event and thus generates more mobs. If arenanet did what people against zerg are suggesting which is instance the stuff it will not upscale and you’d be getting the same rewards you’ll get if you just go your own way rather then follow the zerg. So really you will not be loosing anything by playing the game the way you like playing the game.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Thing is the event itself is design against zergs. The whole point is to save npcs not to kill as many mobs as possible. Yet zergs focus on singular events and on killing mobs. I’ve even personally seen big zergs walk into an area kill all mobs and move on with not one of the zerg stopping by to res dead villagers.

There is a reason why the event reward scales to 1500 villagers yet so far in most events i took part personally we didnt save more then 500 ! its more efficient to split up into small groups cause what the event needs to succeed is not 3 giant destructive forces that at times even end up coalescing, what it needs is small groups spreading out to cover as much area as possible.

Arenanet tried to split players up by even having them into 3 groups to start with and by making it so if players dont split up they will fail to save enough citizens. There is only 1 more thing they could have done (beyond instancing the whole thing which they’re against of course) and this is have mobs drop no rewards. I guess they chose not too simply because its not fun fighting mobs that dont drop anything.

Even if they had done that I have a feeling it might still not have worked because I am starting to think that zerging up to commit mob genocide might actually be a generic trait of MMO players.