Failure of Spider achieve is unbelievable.

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

I’ll preface by saying I’m not trying to sound elitist by this. I understand players all come with different skill levels and that’s fine. But trying to get the spider achievement has been disastrous to the point of frustrating. People simply cannot seem to kill the cocoons or they don’t range the spider or straight up don’t listen to people trying to give tips. It’s all just zerg zerg zerg the boss like the achievement is just to kill it. I know, some people could give a kitten about achievements. It’s just the fact that the concept is so simple and we’ve done it before with Tower of Nightmare in Kessex Hills. We wait an hour or so for the thing to spawn, and someone runs right up to it alone rather than group up away from it, gets cocooned, and the achievement is gone in 5 seconds. I know there are more severe problems right now with achievements, but I can’t believe how badly the spider achievement has gone for me xD.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s hard to kill/break out of cocoons when you’re too busy auto casting #1 and failure to do so has been popular since the tower of nightmares.

Posted by: Carcerus.9107

Carcerus.9107

Somebody on my server suggested the other day that players are playing with chat off, and that could potentially be part of the problem. I know with the knight and holo fights this week people have explained the fights, yet there are still people not paying attention to the attunement buff and so on. So people are seeing the champ on the map, showing up to kill it, and aren’t aware that there is an achievement or people trying to get it.

Today’s MMOs are populated by a lot of wallflower type players who like having other players around but aren’t really interested in or are afraid to interact with them. In some respects I can’t blame them. Online gamers can be absolutely brutal. On the other hand it’s like “Why are you playing if you’re not interested in playing with people.” GW2’s approach and mechanics make it an excellent game for these type of players, however.

The “follow the zerg” mentality also reduces or even eliminates the need to learn fight mechanics too. Case in point — and a funny story from the other night — I was guesting on Blackgate main of all places, sitting in LA, and I see a group of maybe four players attacking some Molten Alliance. They’re practically doing no damage. One of the players finally says, “Immune. Immune. Immune. Wait, I think I did a little bit of damage!” and then fifteen seconds later “Man, this **** is bugged. I still can’t do any damage.” These players were apparently completely unaware of the Molten Protector’s shield and the need to kite mobs out of them. And why not? In a group of fifty people they rarely had to worry about those type of things, let alone notice them.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

It’s hard to kill/break out of cocoons when you’re too busy auto casting #1 and failure to do so has been popular since the tower of nightmares.

Breaking out’s easy. I used a stun breaker to get out of it. Probably one of the thousands of bugs GW2 has that may never be fixed or probably intended. I can’t tell with this game anymore.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Breaking out’s easy.

Not when you’re AFK.

/swoosh

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

1. Gather two groups of friends.
2. Wait at the spider spawn. Do not afk, do not go get a soda, do not kill random mobs around you.
3. Engage spider IMMEDIATELY.
4. It will cocoon someone. Focus that cocoon entirely. Don’t worry about damaging The spider at all. Only cocoons.

If you are paying attention and you can trigger the cocoon yourself instead of letting a “troll” do it, you are the one setting the rules for the engagement. Then the only time they can get cocooned is by 1 in X chance where X is the number of people engaged in the fight. And since you have 10 people who’s SOLE PURPOSE is to kill cocoons. It doesn’t matter if the troll DOES get cocooned you have enough to destroy the cocoon without him helping from inside.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I already have the meta even w/o this annoying achievement.
My advice to you is this: forget it and spare yourself the headache and frustration.

Posted by: biscuit.7540

biscuit.7540

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to see it spawn then gather with a group to kill it. No cocoons eaten…Then I got an achievement after killing it, I was like yesssssssssssssss. Then I checked my the achievement page, I got the kittening vista viewing achievement in the dailies instead…..I was like WATT??!!111!! the logged off…….I guess the the spider queen’s dead body has a nice view -.-

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to see it spawn then gather with a group to kill it. No cocoons eaten…Then I got an achievement after killing it, I was like yesssssssssssssss. Then I checked my the achievement page, I got the kittening vista viewing achievement in the dailies instead…..I was like WATT??!!111!! the logged off…….I guess the the spider queen’s dead body has a nice view -.-

I heard of someone ending up with similar on another champ.
The posted in chat “I have seen better days of killing champs”. It was funny, but I can imagine it would be frustrating if it’s overriding an achieve S:

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I agree, this is such a simple, easy achievement and yet I can’t get it because nobody seems to get how the cocoons work. Someone gets cocooned, fine, drop a cripple or chill on the spider and focus down the cocoon. Easy. Apparently not. But oh well, at least you don’t need this achievement to get the meta.

What I do find odd is that it is very clear in the achievements page how to get this achievement – stop the spider getting to the cocoons. We’ve had achievements in the past which weren’t so crystal clear, but this you really can’t say that you don’t know what the objective is.

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

And still, people don’t even know that the spider won’t use the cocoon in melee range…

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

whenever I check for the spider achievement it is usually ruined by one or two players starting the fight alone without enough people near. Not sure if this stems from cluelessness or spite… hm, well, in GW2, I am inclined to believe the former

Posted by: Paciunek.2496

Paciunek.2496

I’ll preface by saying I’m not trying to sound elitist by this. I understand players all come with different skill levels and that’s fine. But trying to get the spider achievement has been disastrous to the point of frustrating. People simply cannot seem to kill the cocoons or they don’t range the spider or straight up don’t listen to people trying to give tips. It’s all just zerg zerg zerg the boss like the achievement is just to kill it. I know, some people could give a kitten about achievements. It’s just the fact that the concept is so simple and we’ve done it before with Tower of Nightmare in Kessex Hills. We wait an hour or so for the thing to spawn, and someone runs right up to it alone rather than group up away from it, gets cocooned, and the achievement is gone in 5 seconds. I know there are more severe problems right now with achievements, but I can’t believe how badly the spider achievement has gone for me xD.

Sadly, this game is overfilled with people like this. But from what I’ve heard and experienced myself, she doesn’t cocoon melee players, and it looks like it’s true. Gather group of at least 10 people, explain to melee and see if it works. (yes, I know they always range, but 10 melee people will destroy this single cocoon rather quickly)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The real problem here, is an achievement that is only available for a limited time, but makes you dependent on the skill of other players to get.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

The real problem here, is an achievement that is only available for a limited time, but makes you dependent on the skill of other players to get.

Yes, though in this particular case, it’s not really a skill to know what to do. Even if you don’t know about the melee workaround to the cocoons, it’s not like there’s a trick to destroying the cocoon. You just attack it rather than the spider.

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Today’s MMOs are populated by a lot of wallflower type players who like having other players around but aren’t really interested in or are afraid to interact with them. In some respects I can’t blame them. Online gamers can be absolutely brutal. On the other hand it’s like “Why are you playing if you’re not interested in playing with people.” GW2’s approach and mechanics make it an excellent game for these type of players, however.

Well and the worst part of the community has actually trained these wallflower players to turn off mapchat. And guild wars has a lot of wallflowers, you’re right.

I can understand it. I’ve got a chat tab labeled “Queensdale” that has map chat and various other things turned off so I can play in peace.

The better option is really just to block the idiots. That way you can still see instructions.

The other thing is yeah, guild wars itself has been training people to just auto attack. I think it’ll take a bit for people to switch gears. Trouble is, we don’t have the time with these short lived achievements. Also, with the ability to just to the dailies, people don’t have to learn to do the “harder” ones.

Posted by: Sariana.2945

Sariana.2945

1. Gather two groups of friends.
2. Wait at the spider spawn. Do not afk, do not go get a soda, do not kill random mobs around you.
3. Engage spider IMMEDIATELY.
4. It will cocoon someone. Focus that cocoon entirely. Don’t worry about damaging The spider at all. Only cocoons.

If you are paying attention and you can trigger the cocoon yourself instead of letting a “troll” do it, you are the one setting the rules for the engagement. Then the only time they can get cocooned is by 1 in X chance where X is the number of people engaged in the fight. And since you have 10 people who’s SOLE PURPOSE is to kill cocoons. It doesn’t matter if the troll DOES get cocooned you have enough to destroy the cocoon without him helping from inside.

This is basically what I did. I waited and watched it while it spawned and kept watching unit the raid showed up. If someone came along and ruined the achievement I would announce it. I make sure to watch for all cocoons and break every one asap.

Another thing that some people do not realize is not to stand on the ledges. I have seen her cocoon many people there and she warps right to it instantly.

The other day we had a player run in and was instantly cocooned and he ruined the event. The raid was there, but the player just ran in. He was basically reported by quite a few players and it became the topic of conversation through the knight battles. I understand that briefing is being done with this event, however it seems to be different people running up to Queenie and being killed. I felt that the server was going a bit overboard with this, but then again, I was upset with it until I was able to get the achievement.

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

And still, people don’t even know that the spider won’t use the cocoon in melee range…

This. Its quite amusing how clueless people are. I got the achievement first proper try just by meleeing and taking throw bolas to give the group more time to deal with cacoons on those ranging scrubs.

(edited by Spoj The Second.7680)

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Breaking out’s easy.

Not when you’re AFK.

/swoosh

Who would run up to the spider, get spun by spider web, then go afk? Lol

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

. People simply cannot seem to kill the cocoons or they don’t range the spider or straight up don’t listen to people trying to give tips.

And that’s why it doesn’t work for you. You are actually one of the players that make it impossible for others to get the achievment by insisting to range the spider, which is wrong. You are doing exactly what you are complaining about, you are not listening to players who have done it and know what to do.

Ranging the spider is what make it spit stuff at players to coocon them. (range attack)

You should have learned that in Kessex Hill, where the achievement was to get cocooned. So you should know, if you paid attention to the mechanics of the spider. It’s the same boss as before, just a different achievement. It can’t be easier than that.

Everyone goes in melee range (those who can CC it), the spider will cocoon no one and it’s down in about a minute or so.

(edited by WilliamDaBloody.2591)

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

. People simply cannot seem to kill the cocoons or they don’t range the spider or straight up don’t listen to people trying to give tips.

And that’s why it doesn’t work for you. You are actually one of the players that make it impossible for others to get the achievment by insisting to range the spider, which is wrong. You are doing exactly what you are complaining about, you are not listening to players who have done it and know what to do.

Ranging the spider is what make it spit stuff at players to coocon them.

You should have learned that in Kessex Hill, where the achievement was to get cocooned. So you should know, if you paid attention to the mechanics of the spider. It’s the same boss as before, just a different achievement. It can’t be easier than that.

Everyone goes in melee range (those who can CC it), the spider will cocoon no one and it’s down in about a minute or so.

Yet i have seen players at 1-2m range getting cocooned and almost instantly eaten. not sure your tactics is the best.

At range you at least have plenty of time to break people out of cocoon.

I managed to get the achievement on the only run i was present at where noone melee’d.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Breaking out’s easy.

Not when you’re AFK.

/swoosh

Rule 2 of an MMO: NEVER AFK.

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

Yet i have seen players at 1-2m range getting cocooned and almost instantly eaten. not sure your tactics is the best.

Someone was probably in range, and ran to the spider or the projectile hit someone else in the path. As said all in melee range and it will always work with zero coocoon attacks.

Sure, other things can work as well. But why take the hard route and play against the mechanics we were already taught in Kessex Hill by the “get cocooned achievement”?

(edited by WilliamDaBloody.2591)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Is it possible that the spider queen might target one player who is staying at range, and hit another player who happens to be standing in between?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I agree this achievement is frustrating. I think people just did not read the requirements and thought they had to only kill the spider.. so many people would be like “What no achieve?” like they think it is bugged. I would think after the first few days it would be common practice to kill cocoons, but what do I know :P I still do not have this achievement ankitten ot really trying anymore honestly. Such a simple concept but yeah… people just don’t do what is required.

Posted by: Buford.2954

Buford.2954

There are some truly annoying achieves in this patch, but this wasn’t one of them for me. At least on HoD the time I attempted the spider for the first time I got the achieve. It looked like the whole group at the spider knew what they were doing and cocoons melted in seconds. Every time one appeared map and local chat would light up with multiple notifications that there was a cocoon that needed taking out.

It was part of an achievement train because a commander was going from champ to champ and notes on what to do to not fail each achieve (stuff like not getting hit by lasers etc.) were filling map chat before we got to each one; I managed to get every LA champ achieve that way. I don’t go into LA much now other than to grab heirlooms, but this type of activity seems to still be going on HoD at least.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Solo the spider in melee range. It’ll never even use the cocoon skill.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The achievement itself seems buggy (or overly-sensitive, anyway). It seems it fails if the spider gets anywhere NEAR a cocoon, it doesn’t necessarily have to actually EAT the cocoon. I’ve failed it numerous times when it got close to the cocoon but it was broken before being eaten. Maybe its intentional, but the name of the achievement implies that it shouldn’t fail until the player in the cocoon gets eaten (and downed) and that doesn’t seem to be the case. That makes it overly frustrating to get, IMO.

Also, people don’t seem to realize that mashing 1 gets you out of the cocoon sooner and once they get cocoon’d they just do nothing until everyone else breaks them out.

As for the range vs melee thing…. every piece of advice I’ve seen in game has been to range it. I never even knew it only used the attack at range. And honestly, even knowing that, I still think ranging it is the better idea. Sure, if EVERY player stays at melee range maybe the spider won’t use the attack. But trying to get EVERY player to do any one thing is an exercise in futility most of the time. There are always going to be a few who run fragile builds and don’t feel confident meleeing champs or just plain don’t like melee stacking. Also, even if you did get the entire zerg to cooperate and melee, between the spider’s knockback and the exploding toxic stalks, high chance that someone gets knocked out of melee range at some point or has to dodge out of melee range to avoid a stalk or attack. And if the group is melee-ing and a person gets knocked out and triggers the attack, then someone at melee range is probably going to get hit and the achieve will insta-fail due to proximity.

This achievement is the last champ achievement I have left and I’ve attempted it a dozen times probably. I’ve mostly given up at this point. I’ll still attempt the spider if she happens to be up when I’m in the area on the off-chance I get lucky, but it seems like there’s always going to be 1 point in the battle where some bad luck or poor situational awareness is going to lead to the spider getting near a cocoon and failing it.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Tried to do this achievement once.

It went as such. This guy, lets call him Robert the kitten Ranger, immediatly aggro’d the spider alone. In melee range. Get instantly cocooned and instantly grabbed.

A mere 2 seconds into the fight and the achievement already failed.

Thank you Arenanet, for once more making my succes depend on the ability of random uninformed people who just happen to show up. Surely this is not frustrating at all…

After this enlightening experience i descided to not get this achievement.