Great event - too bad about all of the bots

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

The event design is really at fault for this. Non-participation should mean no rewards. Can’t blame people for taking advantage of flawed game design IMO (slightly different to true exploits).

Why? They are acting selfish in a genre/game that is all about playing together and sometimes they even mock players for actually doing the event.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Love this event. Easily my fave since game release. However, almost ever time I do it, there are probably 15 or 20 people just standing either at a gate or in a hidden corner. It’s pretty apparent they run in, then shrink the game to do something else, while receiving bags for doing absolutely nothing. If anything, they are keeping out players who want to actively participate.

This is a good shot of those who just get in then just stand there – and this is NOT the most I’ve seen standing there the WHOLE instance.

Please fix this!!!

Attachments:

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

atheria.2837

thread merge with the other 2-3 afk threads. please bump those if you want to rant instead of creating a new afk thread.

~ new mechanic afki’ing for more than 10 minutes causes friendly fire – i’d use the hammer to send flying those who just stand there back through that exit gate.

If I had seen the other threads – and they had been at the top rather than buried, I would have posted the picture in there… as it is, I saw this posting – and he’s right, the AFK are ruining the live event instances.

I just did a search – either there are no other threads about this or they have been removed.

This is an ongoing and detrimental issue – the event SCALES for gosh sakes people, it DOES matter that there are SO many standing at the doors and NOTHING removes them until the wrongly made timer finally boots them back to their character screens.

Please Fix The AFK problem in instances that last 45 or so minutes.

How about three minutes? Even the slowest of us can get water and go to the bathroom in three minutes.

Maybe the events are just too shortly spaced – maybe a five minute addition would give people time to really clean out their bags and get their normal lives on track before entering an instance where frustration, not fun, is going on because of the selfish and the clueless.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

I was planning on replying to this thread but I am currently AFK
CLICK..bzzz
CLICK..bzzz
CLICK..bzzz

LOL

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

This is a good shot of those who just get in then just stand there – and this is NOT the most I’ve seen standing there the WHOLE instance.

That’s at x:08. Lot of those people are still loading. If you were to do similar screenshot on my server you’d likely get the same effects, or even a bigger crowd (i might be even on those, as it takes me 2-3 minutes to load LA after entering). If you were to do similar screenshot 10 mins later, you’d have notice most of them gone, and only a few ppl standing.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

atheria.2837

That’s at x:08. Lot of those people are still loading. If you were to do similar screenshot on my server you’d likely get the same effects, or even a bigger crowd (i might be even on those, as it takes me 2-3 minutes to load LA after entering). If you were to do similar screenshot 10 mins later, you’d have notice most of them gone, and only a few ppl standing.

After going back five and six times I can tell you they weren’t loading.

Here’s the proof.

There were 15 or more people standing at ONE gate for most of the instance.

The sheer hastiness of those who were AFK is evident.

They believe they have a RIGHT to stand there ; we all know they do NOT have a right to, they have a responsibility to play or not to play but not to STAND there during a SCALED EVENT making it impossible for the players who are participating not to get the rewards for their true numbers.

Please take note of the timestamp and then read the words again… I have more if you want but I think Anet has the proof they need to get that some are taking great advantage and they are flaunting it.

You need to learn not to troll people who are trying to better the game.

Attachments:

(edited by atheria.2837)

atheria.2837

Hey look! This again.

They aren’t bots. They are afk. Play YOUR game and stop worrying about what other people are doing. The more time you spend looking and complaining about afkers the less time you are saving civilians.

When the events aren’t scaled for the number of players INSIDE the event, then we can stop the AFK discussion, until then it’s taking from those who are doing the work – kinda like the world we live in but this doesn’t cause others to die in the real world…

It’s indicative of those who are selfish – they will continue to be selfish until someone forces them not to be… they can’t learn it on their own. Sad.

Attachments:

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

The event design is really at fault for this. Non-participation should mean no rewards. Can’t blame people for taking advantage of flawed game design IMO (slightly different to true exploits).

Why? They are acting selfish in a genre/game that is all about playing together and sometimes they even mock players for actually doing the event.

Because people are selfish. Expect players to behave that way and factor it into the design, and it becomes a non-issue, eh? Mockery is different, I’m talking about pure AFKers here.

Posted by: crazy.9083

crazy.9083

ANET designed this poorly. There should be no bags for anything if you stand there and afk.

They should have made the rescue a personal achievement (obviously not with 1200) and then maybe made a global achievement for 1200 rescued for the people that have reached the personal achievement.

The bag at the end should not be given unless people participated in some way. insert random criteria here.

Posted by: Headless.3718

Headless.3718

easy fix. only give the players who do at least 3 events or save 10 civilians the bags. afk should get what they deserve, nothing.

I thought about suggesting something like this, but there’s a problem with it. What about the person that’s actually TRYING to help, but running into bad luck? What if they’re getting there right as someone else saves a civilian, or dying right as they jump into an event and it’s over by the time they can get back and at least get a bronze for helping?

Yes, it’s easy to get to those limits for the whole event, but what about for the 200 rescue reward? I can easily see a LOT of people missing out on that one, even if they’re trying their hardest. Bad luck, a bit of lag… it wouldn’t take much, really.

I’m pretty sure this is why the rewards go to everyone in the zone, to avoid this problem. It’s just that in trying to be fair to those that are giving their all to help, AFKers get a free ride. Between the two choices, I think I prefer this over honest players not getting the reward they’ve worked for.

Now, for the final reward bag? I say they should require some effort check to be passed. It doesn’t have to be high (I like the ones you suggested), just enough to show that they’ve been trying. Something that’s easy to do within the span of an entire run of the event, but requires more than grinding your face into a wall.

just give the bags at the end of the whole event and not on every milestone. then people have enough time to make anything to qualify for the loot.

atheria.2837

Love this event. Easily my fave since game release. However, almost ever time I do it, there are probably 15 or 20 people just standing either at a gate or in a hidden corner. It’s pretty apparent they run in, then shrink the game to do something else, while receiving bags for doing absolutely nothing. If anything, they are keeping out players who want to actively participate.

For those of you who still insist that I am seeing “players who are just coming in” check the time.

It’s getting worse.

Attachments:

(edited by atheria.2837)

atheria.2837

For those of you who still insist that I am seeing “players who are just coming in” check the time.

It’s getting worse.

And directly after they all move out of the portal after NOT moving for the WHOLE instance.

Attachments:

Astralporing.1957

Oh, please. I am not denying there are AFKers in this event, because there are, but if you want your screenshots to actually prove anything, do them in the x:20-x:40 minutes range. Not at the very beginning (when people are still entering/loading) or ending (when people congregate near portals in order to evacuate on time).

Actions, not words.

atheria.2837

Oh, please. I am not denying there are AFKers in this event, because there are, but if you want your screenshots to actually prove anything, do them in the x:20-x:40 minutes range. Not at the very beginning (when people are still entering/loading) or ending (when people congregate near portals in order to evacuate on time).

I have – you didn’t see my other postings with pics.

I have seen them every time I have had to respawn because the event is scaled WAY to large for the number of active players.

Stop trolling and try to understand that there are two types of players:

Those who follow the rules.

…And those who just want to get by and skirt ANY rules.

Posted by: Southern.8973

Southern.8973

I have seen them every time I have had to respawn because the event is scaled WAY to large for the number of active players.

Events scale based on the number of people actively participating in them, not on the number of people simply logged into the zone. If you’re simply logged in, but not participating in an event, then you’re not affecting the scaling. This is why it’s recommended that only 8-10 people actively participate in the miasma events, to KEEP them from scaling up — even though there may be 500 people actively running around LA.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Hey look! This again.

They aren’t bots. They are afk. Play YOUR game and stop worrying about what other people are doing. The more time you spend looking and complaining about afkers the less time you are saving civilians.

When the events aren’t scaled for the number of players INSIDE the event, then we can stop the AFK discussion, until then it’s taking from those who are doing the work – kinda like the world we live in but this doesn’t cause others to die in the real world…

It’s indicative of those who are selfish – they will continue to be selfish until someone forces them not to be… they can’t learn it on their own. Sad.

Sorry, what? How is the event “scaled?” You can complete the entire thing with between 50 and 75 people, total. That’s all it actually takes to finish the event. 1/3 to 1/2 of the total population. That means every single person beyond that is extra and can do whatever they want.

If you’re failing, it’s not because of AFKs. Interestingly enough, forcing someone not to be selfish doesn’t make them not selfish, because they’re being forced. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Kal Spiro.9745

Events scale based on the number of people actively participating in them, not on the number of people simply logged into the zone. If you’re simply logged in, but not participating in an event, then you’re not affecting the scaling. This is why it’s recommended that only 8-10 people actively participate in the miasma events, to KEEP them from scaling up — even though there may be 500 people actively running around LA.

500 people can’t fit in a zone. 150, roughly.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Posted by: bump.2156

bump.2156

You cant have a wonderful game without having bots. It is sad having the bots running around screwing with the economy. The thing I don’t want to see is if they introduce the dueling, bots will randomly duel you and win. That will deter me from playing.

Speaking of bots, this one was hilarious. I saw a bot running into a wall. nothing else just running face first in a wall. I saw a mob not to far off and aggroed a massive amount and brought them back. what happened next was sweet justice. The bot held his own for awhile then with me getting more help from aggro… heh heh heh. He/She was overwhelmed and was defeated. I flew the one finger salute as the bot perished.

Bumpin Mumpins, Poison Mumps, Bumpassin, Olivia Bumps
Henge Of Denravi
Grinding is so much better when the kitten is crying

Kal Spiro.9745

You cant have a wonderful game without having bots. It is sad having the bots running around screwing with the economy. The thing I don’t want to see is if they introduce the dueling, bots will randomly duel you and win. That will deter me from playing.

Speaking of bots, this one was hilarious. I saw a bot running into a wall. nothing else just running face first in a wall. I saw a mob not to far off and aggroed a massive amount and brought them back. what happened next was sweet justice. The bot held his own for awhile then with me getting more help from aggro… heh heh heh. He/She was overwhelmed and was defeated. I flew the one finger salute as the bot perished.

First off, ever heard of auto run?

Second off, that’s griefing and punishable.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

People care far to much on what other people do.

I myself could care less if someone is botting.

Unless it effects me – which 99.9% of the time it doesn’t – I could care less.

I have never “lost” a LA because of bots. (by loose I mean not hit the 1200 mark)

You could literally think of a million other issues that should be addressed in this game before even thinking about this.

P.S. A lot of those standing in front by the portals aren’t bots – they are simply people who zone in and afk.

This isn’t really a win or loose event – so once again I’m not sure why people care.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

bump.2156

Kal I have heard of auto run. If someone was at the helm they would of seen that for 20 minutes or so, the wall was not moving. As far as griefing, I am not bothered by it since it was a bot. It was reported and has since been removed.

Henge Of Denravi

Kal Spiro.9745

People care far to much on what other people do.

I myself could care less if someone is botting.

Unless it effects me – which 99.9% of the time it doesn’t – I could care less.

I have never “lost” a LA because of bots. (by loose I mean not hit the 1200 mark)

You could literally think of a million other issues that should be addressed in this game before even thinking about this.

P.S. A lot of those standing in front by the portals aren’t bots – they are simply people who zone in and afk.

This isn’t really a win or loose event – so once again I’m not sure why people care.

Pet peeve. “Lose.”

You can win or lose, but you can’t loose. You can loosen, but that requires interacting with something. Pants and screws can be loose.

Kal Spiro.9745

Kal I have heard of auto run. If someone was at the helm they would of seen that for 20 minutes or so, the wall was not moving. As far as griefing, I am not bothered by it since it was a bot. It was reported and has since been removed.

They autorun to avoid the AFK timeout… mostly cause they’re dumb and don’t realize they can’t time out. That doesn’t make it a bot.

As for reporting them, fine, report them and let ANet handle it, don’t grief them by getting them killed. That’s not your call. As for the result, you have no way of knowing anything of the sort. You can believe whatever you want, but since no one would actually tell you anything your supposition is meaningless.

bump.2156

I see your point Kal. You are very wise Obi-Wan.

Henge Of Denravi

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

Just use the same timer that is in WvW. I’m not exactly sure what the difference is, but in WvW, I can port to the Citadel, run downstairs to use the restroom and make a snack, come back upstairs and I’m kicked for inactivity. Maybe 10-15minutes?

Astralporing.1957

I have. You posted screens with a crowd of people from x:08 and x:50 (the very end and beginning of the event) – those as i have said are worth nothing as a proof of any kind. You have also posted a screen from the middle, on which there are only few people present (some of whose do not seem afk, by the way – i see one fighting and one ressing).
Again, i am not denying that there are AFKers in this event. I only point out that sticking to the first kind of screens you do your argument a disservice, because those screens can at best be seen to prove nothing, and at worst seem like an intended manipulation.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Zenmyr.2894

Zenmyr.2894

I’ve been having fun with obvious afk folk near the waypoints and exits. Using /em creatively. Like “exhorts (name) to keep this waypoint defended with his life” and “promises (name) that he’ll put a good word in with the Orders for her selfless service”.

My favorite was a string of hate that was spewed after “encourages (name) that he, too, can be a hero once he masters his paralyzing fear of the invaders”.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

No, seriously. Some of them may be, but the ones clustered around the gate the entire time are leechers, period. That’s a thing.

That’s my point though… some of them are, but some of them aren’t.

and there’s no way to tell which is which from a quick glance at them as you run past, at least not unless you yourself are also standing by the door the whole time.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

They autorun to avoid the AFK timeout…

Didn’t they fix that a while back? I don’t think auto-run/auto-cast have an impact on the AFK timer anymore… it detects player input, not character actions.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I think a good solution would be to put a ressing timer instead of a AFK timer.

Aetherblade Assassins will randomly spawn on players sometimes no matter where you are. They’ll be just normal mobs (ie, not vets or elites and doesn’t scale), so to any non-afking player, it won’t really matter at all since you’ll just kill it in seconds, but if you’re afk, of course it’ll kill you.

If you don’t res within 2 minutes (for anyone), you get kicked out of LA. Timer resets if you receive healing within that time from someone trying to res you.

People might argue that what if you die in an event and are waiting to be resed? Well, if no one is trying to res you for 2 minutes, the chances are that they probably won’t res you at all until the event ends, so in other words, you should just WP.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

They autorun to avoid the AFK timeout… mostly cause they’re dumb and don’t realize they can’t time out. That doesn’t make it a bot.

As for reporting them, fine, report them and let ANet handle it, don’t grief them by getting them killed. That’s not your call. As for the result, you have no way of knowing anything of the sort. You can believe whatever you want, but since no one would actually tell you anything your supposition is meaningless.

There are so many grammatical errors in your post above – I would suggest you do not point out others errors and work on your own.

You’re welcome for enlightening you.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Kal Spiro.9745

They autorun to avoid the AFK timeout…

Didn’t they fix that a while back? I don’t think auto-run/auto-cast have an impact on the AFK timer anymore… it detects player input, not character actions.

Could be, but since the timer doesn’t go off within 45 minutes, it doesn’t matter either way.

Kal Spiro.9745

There are so many grammatical errors in your post above – I would suggest you do not point out others errors and work on your own.

You’re welcome for enlightening you.

But you failed. See, I told you what your error was and why it was an error. You did nothing of benefit. So feel welcome, but it’s entirely your own. At least you learned something.

Besides, I didn’t correct your grammar, I corrected your spelling.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Aetherblade Assassins will randomly spawn on players sometimes no matter where you are. They’ll be just normal mobs (ie, not vets or elites and doesn’t scale), so to any non-afking player, it won’t really matter at all since you’ll just kill it in seconds, but if you’re afk, of course it’ll kill you.

Spawning a bunch of assassins on top of a small group at Hooligan’s Route will likely be fatal. That place is nothing but Veterans and higher so adding unpredictable enemies to the mix is not going to end well.

Besides, the “problem” is people who afk for the entire event. It isn’t people who afk period. If a person heads to a safe spot and afks for a few minutes after saving 50 civilians, they don’t deserve to be randomly executed.

Kal Spiro.9745

If you don’t res within 2 minutes (for anyone), you get kicked out of LA. Timer resets if you receive healing within that time from someone trying to res you.

People might argue that what if you die in an event and are waiting to be resed? Well, if no one is trying to res you for 2 minutes, the chances are that they probably won’t res you at all until the event ends, so in other words, you should just WP.

That is a really clever, over complicated, and ultimately obnoxious solution to the problem. I tend to think that reducing the AFK timer would be the better solution, but this would potentially work, yes.

Of course, it also wouldn’t. I know for a fact this wouldn’t kill my character. A level 80 random Aetherblade doesn’t have the damage to get through my regen before my pet kills it.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Spawning a bunch of assassins on top of a small group at Hooligan’s Route will likely be fatal. That place is nothing but Veterans and higher so adding unpredictable enemies to the mix is not going to end well.

Besides, the “problem” is people who afk for the entire event. It isn’t people who afk period. If a person heads to a safe spot and afks for a few minutes after saving 50 civilians, they don’t deserve to be randomly executed.

Well, there really isn’t a single solution without flaws. There’s very few places where 1 normal mob would be able to completely wreck everything.

There’s really no mechanical way to tell if someone’e actually AFK or just taking a break other than a very long AFK timer, which would kill the whole point of having a AFK timer because I can just pop back in every say, 20mins and move 1 square and go back to AFKing.

I’m quite sure you can overcome the AFK timer by say, auto-running into a wall.

Posted by: DebraKadabra.5278

DebraKadabra.5278

Res timer? Really? What if I’m taking a moment or two to clear my inventory or type something in map chat before continuing with what I was doing? On your “system”, I’m afk regardless.

If people want to afk, LET THEM. It has no effect on what I’m there to accomplish, be it an heirloom run or a 1200 run.

What we have been is what we are.