Is there any lore in this patch?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

This isn’t a condescending question. I honestly want to know because if there isn’t anything new to learn I don’t think I will bother with this patch. I am kind of busy the next few weeks.

Thanks again and see you at the conclusion!

Posted by: Jeff.4680

Jeff.4680

I would also like an answer to this question as I am pretty much in the same situation. Thanks in advanced!

From the smallest blade of grass to the largest mountain, where life goes—so, too, should you.

Posted by: Amethyst Rose.4367

Amethyst Rose.4367

Me too… doesn’t appear to be.

Posted by: ChapDev.7650

ChapDev.7650

There is a little note on the recipe for the new backpiece that has Scarlet declaring that she told Caithe one day the world would need her.

May not be what you are looking for though.

Bad Looking Necro Tryhard [BLNT] ~ Maguuma

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Do explosions count?

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

so far we know Kiel and evol both took off and abandoned LA kiel on a airship if any one payed attention and evon with his tail between his legs you saw him kicking rocks in the cutscene i believe.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Haven’t checked the bay yet, but it appears Scarlets Super UFO drill has removed the last vestige of GW1 LA.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

What about the quaggans?

Won’t somequaggan please think of the quaggans?

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Nausiation.1469

Nausiation.1469

so far we know Kiel and evol both took off and abandoned LA kiel on a airship if any one payed attention and evon with his tail between his legs you saw him kicking rocks in the cutscene i believe.

uhh..wrong. Keil is at a relief camp and evon is at the vigil being forced to pay for the war.

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

The cinematic is about all the lore I’ve noticed. I feel like the delivery of lore is going to kitten. The character experiences it in the first 15 minutes of the release and that’s it. No discovering or progression

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

uhh..wrong. Keil is at a relief camp and evon is at the vigil being forced to pay for the war.

Kiel still took off in a airship with a good bit of the defenders and magnus on a airship still abandoning lions arch and not helping to evac people

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

The res one good cinematic. tahts all about. i dont like this patch at all

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Zen Way of Harmony.7980

Zen Way of Harmony.7980

It seems like the bulk of the lore happened last patch. You can still get some insight into things by talking and listening to npcs around the camps and the Vigil.

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

Well, there’s lots of small pieces of lore in all the refugee camps. If you go there, you’ll find a lot of familiar faces from Lion’s Arch and they’ll tell you what exactly happend to them (although that rarely goes beyond “oh my god, it’s all gone, I lost everything, what am i gonna do now?”)
A lot of it, I find slighty confusing. Like, why is Commodore Lawson Mariner degraded to a simple merchant? Why isn’t Evon Gnashblade selling his stuff through the Blacklion’s tradepost?
And why do people in the refugee camps keep insisting that Scarlet’s attack came totally out of the blue?

Posted by: Zen Way of Harmony.7980

Zen Way of Harmony.7980

Well, there’s lots of small pieces of lore in all the refugee camps. If you go there, you’ll find a lot of familiar faces from Lion’s Arch and they’ll tell you what exactly happend to them (although that rarely goes beyond “oh my god, it’s all gone, I lost everything, what am i gonna do now?”)
A lot of it, I find slighty confusing. Like, why is Commodore Lawson Mariner degraded to a simple merchant? Why isn’t Evon Gnashblade selling his stuff through the Blacklion’s tradepost?
And why do people in the refugee camps keep insisting that Scarlet’s attack came totally out of the blue?

Evon is standing right next to several trading post merchants. He never sold things directly, so that makes sense. In lore, the attack did come out of the blue. Marjory, Kiel, and etc. tried to warn the council but were met with no success, extended from the last patch. A lot of citizens are “merchants” now probably to give them more function beyond just npcs standing there.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I didn’t notice anything new too. Wait, they said that the previous patch was the weakest for the lore? It was the strongest. I miss character conversations.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

first hand account of the devastating aftermath handed to tyria’s 1k year old trade city..
no lore there..   seriously though, it’s got plenty of content with lore appeal

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

CharrGirl.7896

first hand account of the devastating aftermath handed to tyria’s 1k year old trade city..
no lore there..   seriously though, it’s got plenty of content with lore appeal

I don’t consider mindless zerg fests to be a good representation of the “lore”. LA is in flames and that is impressive but there are no cutscenes (except the opening one which used the teaser footage) or story instances.

We want story instances like the ones from origin of madness or edge of the mists.

When they said that the last update was weakest for the story, but delivered the exact opposite, I expected something incredible for the next update in that regard :/

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

One thing that might be important is the force feild surrounding the Maeva’s house on the beach. Her place is completely intact, and it resists all of Scarlet’s weapons. It’d be interesting to see if that feild has been generated automatically, or if she’s activated it, and if it could be made bigger.

CorneliusCoffin.3169

Evon is standing right next to several trading post merchants. He never sold things directly, so that makes sense.

I can’t quite follow you there. Evon never sold things directly. Now he does, so that makes sense? Please elaborate.

In lore, the attack did come out of the blue. Marjory, Kiel, and etc. tried to warn the council but were met with no success, extended from the last patch.

Yeah, I know this has been said in the last patch. It didn’t even make sense back then, considering there was a probe in the middle of Lion’s Arch, a giant marionette in Lornar’s Pass and a three headed jungle wum in Bloodtide Coast, which by the way is directly in front of Lion’s Arch’s gates. That giant toxic plant in Kessex Hills, the attack on Queen Jennah’s jubilee and the watchwork attacks on basically all maps of the game, those aren’t warning signs? Seriously, who are these merchants in Lions Arch trading with that they don’t get to know what’s happening everywhere in Tyria? Worst of all, there’s been an aetherblade attack directly on Lion’s Arch in the process of which the pirate captain Mai Trin was freed merely four weeks ago. That was visible for everyone in Lions Arch because she was on public display in Fort Marinner. Still, that’s no warning sign?
Any ou know, not being prepared, that’s just one thing. But mainting that “Come to think about it, there really have been no warning signs”-attitude even after the attacks have happened, that’s just plain silly.

(edited by CorneliusCoffin.3169)

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Evon is standing right next to several trading post merchants. He never sold things directly, so that makes sense. In lore, the attack did come out of the blue. Marjory, Kiel, and etc. tried to warn the council but were met with no success, extended from the last patch. A lot of citizens are “merchants” now probably to give them more function beyond just npcs standing there.

True, we all knew this was going to happen because of the announcement, but the characters in-game didn’t know anything. They could merely speculate Scarlet’s next move.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

True, we all knew this was going to happen because of the announcement, but the characters in-game didn’t know anything. They could merely speculate Scarlet’s next move.

There is a map her lair with red markings showing Lion’s Arch to be a target. What were the people of Lion’s Arch expecting, Scarlet to send them a letter declaring her intentions to attack?

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

We are investigating what we find: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

I attempted to find anything interesting near the drill… I don’t recommend it. It’s sharp.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Do explosions count?

EXPLOSIONS?!

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

CorneliusCoffin.3169

I attempted to find anything interesting near the drill… I don’t recommend it. It’s sharp.

Is it really? I swam right done into the drilling hole expecting to get killed and didn’t. It lookes dangerous but it doesn’t really seem to do any damage.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I can’t quite follow you there. Evon never sold things directly. Now he does, so that makes sense? Please elaborate.

He is selling stuff now because he was ordered to do it by the Lionguard. If he had not they would basically have executed him (they actually say it to him directly. Either he becomes a quartermaster, or they will hang him).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: doggirl.6159

doggirl.6159

One thing that might be important is the force feild surrounding the Maeva’s house on the beach. Her place is completely intact, and it resists all of Scarlet’s weapons. It’d be interesting to see if that feild has been generated automatically, or if she’s activated it, and if it could be made bigger.

I thought this too when I saw this the first time. Interesting :-D

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Is it really? I swam right done into the drilling hole expecting to get killed and didn’t. It lookes dangerous but it doesn’t really seem to do any damage.

you didn’t go close enough.

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Very disappointed considering this is the penultimate edition to this LS, There is no story to absorb, No solo stuff to chill out in, It’s just another zerg fest.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Very disappointed considering this is the penultimate edition to this LS, There is no story to absorb, No solo stuff to chill out in, It’s just another zerg fest.

Yeah.. unless you count all those people you can talk to and get information and so on.

I keep hearing people complaining about how updates are only zerg-fests, but for some reason those people seem to completely ignore the fact that there is more stuff than that. It has been the case for every single update these last few months.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Lydell.8713

Lydell.8713

One would argue that a massive attack on the historical city of Lion’s Arch, all the victims, the fact that a giant drill is at work to unearth kitten knows what but most likely something terrible and destructive is a solid chunk of lore in the making.

-Blackgate-

Posted by: Ray.6149

Ray.6149

One would argue that a massive attack on the historical city of Lion’s Arch, all the victims, the fact that a giant drill is at work to unearth kitten knows what but most likely something terrible and destructive is a solid chunk of lore in the making.

Yes, it seems like it is not considered a lore piece. Maybe too subtle?

Cavalieri Del Destino [CDD] – Piken Square
www.cavalierideldestino.com

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Do explosions count?

Depends on how big they are :p

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Don’t forget the footprints.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can actually achieve a lot going solo inside LA. Most groups seem to focus entirely on the events, so they miss a lot of NPCs who need rescuing. There’s a lot of them in Hooligans Route for example, but no events so hardly anyone goes there.

There’s also the heirlooms to find, which are hidden in some pretty obscure places.

So far I’ve been treating it just like any other explorable map. I head towards places that look interesting, doing whatever I come across along the way. Sometimes I’ll cross paths with a big group, or we’ll be going in the same direction, but I’ve not felt required to join them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

Go to the prison at the end of a cycle, Canach and Sheriff Siriam escape the city onto an airship, thats a neat little bit.

Danikat.8537

On the subject of lore I can’t help but feel like it’s significant that Scarlets drill is exactly where the fountain was in Old LA.

I know no one’s ever said the fountain was special, other than being like an early version of the Lion Statue – a central point that got removed and replaced with themed things every time there was a holiday – but it feels significant to me.

CorneliusCoffin.3169

He is selling stuff now because he was ordered to do it by the Lionguard. If he had not they would basically have executed him (they actually say it to him directly. Either he becomes a quartermaster, or they will hang him).

Oh, that’s nice then. Thanks for clearing that up. I’ll go check it out because I must have missed that.
Sometimes it’s really quite usefull to let off some steam on thess forums, if only to be told that you haven’t been paying enough attention. ^^

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

Lornar’s Pass Camp

• Marjory and Kasmeer idle chatter + dialog when you speak to them
  • The Priory are talking near Marjory and Kasmeer, after a bit of idle chatter, one walks away, you can follow her for more story.
  • Almost everyone in camp has dialog when you talk to them, but don’t really say much, just that LA is lost.

Vigil Keep camp

• Taimi walks around camp looking for someone who saw Scarlet
  • Bloomanoo and Peneloope are standing there, they have idle chatter and when you talk to them, they talk about there seems to be no safe place for Quaggans in Tyria.
  • Heal-o-tron is aiding in the medic tent. Seraph come to look for him, he runs away to the Vigil Keep, goes to Evon to order some defensive armor.
  • There’s the little army/group on the road, I know they have idle chatter, but I missed it
  • Evon gets deputize from an Asura working with Ellen Kiel

BloodTide Coast camp

• This one felt pretty empty, not much going on here that I could see
Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Posted by: Heta.8629

Heta.8629

We are the lore now. In lore this is the second biggest event after Zhaitans death. No need for any further explanation for this patch, the destroyed LA, invading armies and giant drill explain it all

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Oh, that’s nice then. Thanks for clearing that up. I’ll go check it out because I must have missed that.
Sometimes it’s really quite usefull to let off some steam on thess forums, if only to be told that you haven’t been paying enough attention. ^^

Yeah, Kiel told him to. Theres a conversation between Evon and Hero-tron about it I think, then some lionguard guy comes and talks to him, and tells him that he’s been drafted (can’t think of the right term) and that if he runs it will me he’s awol (since he’s part of the lionguard) and will be summarily executed (by firing squad actually).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

CharrGirl.7896

Lornar’s Pass Camp

• Marjory and Kasmeer idle chatter + dialog when you speak to them
  • The Priory are talking near Marjory and Kasmeer, after a bit of idle chatter, one walks away, you can follow her for more story.
  • Almost everyone in camp has dialog when you talk to them, but don’t really say much, just that LA is lost.

Vigil Keep camp

• Taimi walks around camp looking for someone who saw Scarlet
  • Bloomanoo and Peneloope are standing there, they have idle chatter and when you talk to them, they talk about there seems to be no safe place for Quaggans in Tyria.
  • Heal-o-tron is aiding in the medic tent. Seraph come to look for him, he runs away to the Vigil Keep, goes to Evon to order some defensive armor.
  • There’s the little army/group on the road, I know they have idle chatter, but I missed it
  • Evon gets deputize from an Asura working with Ellen Kiel

BloodTide Coast camp

• This one felt pretty empty, not much going on here that I could see

Didn’t find Majory in the Lornar’s camp but did find Taimi and Evon in the Gendarran fields one. Still have to see Canach escape.

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

If you talk to Rox and Braham while they are in Trader’s Forum, one of them will tell you they think the attack on the city is just a diversion for whatever Scarlet is doing in the bay. They also remark that the tactic is working, since we have to focus on helping the citizens escape and protect them from being killed by Scarlet’s forces.
I forget which one says it, but it’s one of those two.

Danikat.8537

It’s interesting to hear the different perspectives though. There’s the full range from those who are convinced it’s the end of the world and there’s nothing we can do to those who are already planning their new home/business and talking about ways to make it better than what they had before.

Plus some incredibly frank merchants who actually seem to feel Scarlet has done them a favour in some way. (Like one who was going out of business anyway and will now find it easier to cut ties and start something new and one who had just sold all their stock and is planning to invest the gold into building materials.)

Posted by: Tim Dragonheart.3158

Tim Dragonheart.3158

You can also find Rox and Braham in Gendarran Fields, they’re in the camp close to the Lion’s Arch entrance, I wonder if Kiel and Magnus can be found somewhere…

Posted by: Hobbs.9260

Hobbs.9260

This is a siege, the fighting and the chaos is the lore. No time to talk and tell stories when you are fighting for your life. If they did that even more people would complain about it being lame and unrealistic- me for one. This is all only the set up for the real finale.

80 ele Deaths Misstress [DEAD] – Blackgate NA East Coast

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

This is a siege, the fighting and the chaos is the lore. No time to talk and tell stories when you are fighting for your life. If they did that even more people would complain about it being lame and unrealistic- me for one. This is all only the set up for the real finale.

There’s plenty of time to talk when you sitting in the refugee camp, hurdle against a campfire, near or within a fortress some distance from the battle.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?