New Sylvari dialogue in the Grove?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: rotheche.2964

rotheche.2964

I just went into the Grove via Asura gateway from the Keep, and ran into some dialogue I haven’t heard before. A pair of Sylvari near the gate: one saying she’s having terrible dreams and can’t believe something so horrible could originate in her; her companion tells her to not give in. They seem to write it off as Nightmare Court interference—but if it’s new dialogue, could it indicate something about Mordremoth’s growing influence now he’s awake?

Lilli Varss [OW]
Easily distracted mes—SQUIRREL!
GOM

Posted by: Amria.2461

Amria.2461

If you’re talking about the dialog that I think you are, then unfortunately it was already in the game.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Its not new. Its been there since launch, I’ve heard it way too many times.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

The Pale Tree has some new dialogue regarding Scarlet and recent events if you haven’t taken a look yet.

Posted by: rotheche.2964

rotheche.2964

Dang. Thought I’d found something

(I’ve seen the new dialogue with the Pale Tree, with both a Sylvari and non-Sylvari character.)

Lilli Varss [OW]
Easily distracted mes—SQUIRREL!
GOM

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Some time back I remember pondering that sylvari, as what she says had very close links with scarlet`s diary account.

She is suffering terrible, scary nightmares.
She doesn’t know the source of these, it isn’t clearly from the court.
She ponders whether or not they come from an evil within her.
She claims to be losing sight of who she actually is.

Both that sylvari and scarlet have almost identical experiences and I took it as supporting those who suspect that all sylvari have some internal link to mordremoth that has been locked away. In scarlet’s case omadd’s machine broke that barrier, but in the case of these sylvari, we may well see mordremoth’s awakening as enough to flip a few into “evil mode”.

Season 2 could well see a sylvari civil war or something similar. Ironically, the nightmare court may well end up on the good side. The big question is whether or not the pale tree is resistant to the call, should this storyline prove to be the actual one.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

A lot of people have suggested for a long time that sylvari could actually be dragon minions, given that the Pale Tree first appeared around the same time as the destroyers.

We know from Glint that even the dragons champions can choose to go against them given enough of an incentive, and it could be that Ventari’s tablets did that for the Pale Tree and she’s been using The Dream to lock her children away from their masters influence. We also know from one of the sylvari personal stories that there is at least 1 other tree out there, so it could be that there are other sylvari still loyal to Mordemoth.

Alternatively the two start off unconnected but the sylvari’s ‘psychic’ abilities – their shared memories through the dream and empathic awareness of each other (the thing the Soundless try to shut off) make them more susceptible to dragon influences. Zhaitan wasn’t able to physically corrupt them because you can’t have an undead plant and I think Jormag may have the same problem (if you freeze a plant it shrivels to nothing). I’m not sure if there are any branded sylvari. But Mordremoth may be exactly right to corrupt them.

When Cera went into Omadd’s machine it might have worked as intended – opening her mind up to everything out there in the universe. And a dragon could have zeroed right in on that vulnerable target and created itself an unwitting new champion. Just like Jora’s brother in GW1.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

Bit of trivia, there’s a conversation between two sylvari in Falias Thorp in Caledon Forest, where one of them mentions how she’s been having terrible dreams or something, of shadows from deep in the swamp, coming for her. Looking back on it now, it may well have been foreshadowing of Mordremoth, though the whole Great Jungle Worm chain is probably similar foreshadowing.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

A lot of people have suggested for a long time that sylvari could actually be dragon minions, given that the Pale Tree first appeared around the same time as the destroyers.

It was only beginning to grow around that point. It took a long time later for the sylvari to emerge.

We know from Glint that even the dragons champions can choose to go against them given enough of an incentive, and it could be that Ventari’s tablets did that for the Pale Tree and she’s been using The Dream to lock her children away from their masters influence. We also know from one of the sylvari personal stories that there is at least 1 other tree out there, so it could be that there are other sylvari still loyal to Mordemoth.

Um, no. It is revealed in one of Arah’s explorable paths that the Forgotten used a spell to give Glint free will. Unless Ventari’s Tablet was imbued with similar magic, it would not have done anything to free the Pale Tree/sylvari if they were in fact dragon minions. It would make more sense for them to have come from the Forgotten as well, or possibly be related to the druids.

And the one sylvari we do meet from the other tree shows no sign of being influenced by a dragon, and is mostly a nice fellow, even with no Dream.

Alternatively the two start off unconnected but the sylvari’s ‘psychic’ abilities – their shared memories through the dream and empathic awareness of each other (the thing the Soundless try to shut off) make them more susceptible to dragon influences. Zhaitan wasn’t able to physically corrupt them because you can’t have an undead plant and I think Jormag may have the same problem (if you freeze a plant it shrivels to nothing). I’m not sure if there are any branded sylvari. But Mordremoth may be exactly right to corrupt them.

In Sparkfly Fen, there are quests that involve destroying corrupted trees and fungi. The Lowland Burns area in Blazeridge Steppes has Branded plants as well.

When Cera went into Omadd’s machine it might have worked as intended – opening her mind up to everything out there in the universe. And a dragon could have zeroed right in on that vulnerable target and created itself an unwitting new champion. Just like Jora’s brother in GW1.

This part seems to be correct, given what the Pale Tree has told us about Ceara herself.

Oh, and here’s a thread already mentioning this “Sylvari = Dragon minion” theory, as well as giving decent evidence that it probably isn’t the case. It’s an old one, but still a nice read.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/On-the-Sixth-Elder-Dragon-and-its-corruption/first

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)