Next Backpiece upgrade for ascended only?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

I am a rather new player, and generally don’t craft in games, so I don’t have any of the 3 skills to 500 in order to make the ascended version of the new backpiece. that is fine with me but then if the reward for next LS segment is the colored versions of the ascended backpiece, then what do the people that can’t/ don’t want to use that much money to get to 500 crafting get? seems like we would be getting jipped.

I propose that it be a colorized skin thing that changes the color no matter what level the backpiece is. if it has no wings, just make it glow that color, if it has 2 wings, make it just like the ascended one, just with only 2 of the wings and so on.

if not it seems that the people that don’t like to craft, are rather new, or don’t have enough gold to get a skill to 500 to make the ascended backpiece would be getting screwed out of a LS reward.

mostly discuss my 2nd segment please, what do you think?

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I doubt the backpiece will be the only reward available in the next update. I’m sure there will be other things to keep you pre-occupied.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Trolaw.7095

Trolaw.7095

As a new player you probably haven’t been played many of the previous living worlds where there has been a ton of rewards which anyone can get and that was the case as well in this patch for example the halo, this ascended back piece is going to be rare but it would make people stand out, by putting in the glow to previous tiers of the back piece you would have to wonder why anyone would go to the highest tier as there would be no point. So i am afraid to say that this back piece is a step in the right direction as it doesn’t rely on luck and yet it will still be rare

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I don’t think the back piece will be rare. I only do Heirloom runs after the first day of the event and I’ve gotten enough blade shards for at least four or five back pieces.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

You’re not getting “screwed out” when the coolest stuff in game are not cheap and easy to get.
What makes you think you deserve ascended stuff at all if you’re not willing to do anything for them?
I thought at first it was a good idea to make a cool upgradeable skin only leaving the ascended part hard, but people just keep demanding more. The whole back item should have been ascended from the first version.

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Here’s the thing. The Exotic backpiece doesn’t have an aura. When you upgrade it from Exotic to Ascended you basically turn it on, so it has energy flowing through it. The next part is to change the color of that energy.

If you don’t want to spend the money to have it ascended you don’t have any need of the next iteration because you can’t change the color of nothing.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Saephaan.7285

Saephaan.7285

Welcome to Guild Wars 2, a game made for casuals that gives you no opportunity to get your gear unless you’re a hardcore player and it still manages to ignore their community for 1.5 years.

Kal Spiro.9745

Welcome to Guild Wars 2, a game made for casuals that gives you no opportunity to get your gear unless you’re a hardcore player and it still manages to ignore their community for 1.5 years.

I think this needs to be explained piece by piece. This back piece is one of the easiest things to get by anyone. It is extremely casual friendly because unless you’re trying to the ascended version, which a true casual has no reason to actually need, you don’t even need a craft skill. Also, since it is upgradable you can get it at a low level and have it with you, and relevant, the entire time you level up.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Posted by: mallas.9836

mallas.9836

Back needs:

900 shards (SUPER EASY)

normal mining ores for ingots (EASY)

Gift of blades (easy as long as you eventually level up the crafting to 500 which isn’t THAT expensive)
time
backpiece blueprint (can get from green bags OR mystic forge 4 fragments which are bought on the TP (like 1 silver if that) or get out of bags)

Ascended timed mats (just spend the 47 ish gold on elonian squares, saves you 15 days of waiting)

If you want the backpiece on day 1 as a new player, you are literally being dumb. Those that made the backpiece for the most part have been playing for months it not since release and tons every day.

You can get the all the necessary pieces without farming every day for 12 hours. It just means it will take you longer.

Ascended mats minus the Emp frags are super easy to get. Emp frags you can get form JPs and mini chests. If you do WvW you get them there is much better amount. If you are on server that does friday karma trains in WVW you can get them extremely fast.

If you bought all the mats for the back, it gets to be like 50-70 gold depending when you bought the items and what you already head or wanted to farm yourself.

Light of Dwayna costs near 270 gold to make since most people didn’t have 4000+ silk, 600 linen etc just lying around. Not including 50 icey runestones (50 gold).

So instead of whining and asking for stuff to be given for you with putting in no time, research the item and then you would find out you can still make it easy. You just won’t be able to make it 2 days into the event.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

You can work on getting the limited time materials (blade shards, blueprints, and the core needed to make it colored) and craft the ascended back piece when you’re in a position to do so.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

I’m a player with over 2k hours and I’m taking my time. Why being a new player do you think you need to NOW! Just make sure you buy the recipes and make the backpiece as you can. Saying that you need to be hardcore to make anything in the game is a joke. New players should not have stuff handed to them to be on equal footing as veterans.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

I think its probably fine, so long as the coloring part of the next update can be earned and saved until people who are still trying to save up some mats can craft it later. If the coloring thing can’t be saved and has to be activated at a specific location, it won’t be the end of the world, but I know I’d be bummed. Outside of that the wings are probably one of the best items I’ve seen. Very casual friendly to make and they give me a reason to actually get to crafting 500 on more than my first profession. (I stopped when I got to 400 weapon craft back when that was the highest. )

MrPersons.1560

When I said new player, I did not mean like a week old. I have been here since October, but I don’t have hours upon hours every day to dedicate to the game. I don’t want it to be handed to me on a silver platter either, just make it not cost 100+ gold to get this thing. and by adding the aura to the lower levels would not hurt people with the ascended because they have the highest number of wings. the people with only 2 wings and glowing would not affect the people with like 8 and glowing.

when I say screwed out of I meant that you basically have to have the reward from this event maxed out in order to get the reward from the next one. so what if you cant farm 100 gold to get a 500 crafting skill? what if you weren’t here for the event due to vacation or something that came up? how is that fair to them? again, I don’t want it handed to me on a silver platter, just make it not cost my social life to get

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

mallas.9836

When I said new player, I did not mean like a week old. I have been here since October, but I don’t have hours upon hours every day to dedicate to the game. I don’t want it to be handed to me on a silver platter either, just make it not cost 100+ gold to get this thing. and by adding the aura to the lower levels would not hurt people with the ascended because they have the highest number of wings. the people with only 2 wings and glowing would not affect the people with like 8 and glowing.

when I say screwed out of I meant that you basically have to have the reward from this event maxed out in order to get the reward from the next one. so what if you cant farm 100 gold to get a 500 crafting skill? what if you weren’t here for the event due to vacation or something that came up? how is that fair to them? again, I don’t want it handed to me on a silver platter, just make it not cost my social life to get

Here is the rub.

They have to make some things a time sink or EVERYONE will have them within 2 days of the event going live. If not its detrimental to the game.

With your situation:

farm the shards. 900 ish. That doesn’t take that long and can easily be done during the 2 week period (or longer) they give us.

farm the ascended mats

farm the ores

look for the fast or cheapest ways to level up crafting

Gather as many crafting mats you can, buy some of the rest

TAKE THE TIME YOU NEED TO MAKE IT

What you are essentially are saying is, make it hilariously cheap to make the backpiece so i can have it. As of now, its hilariously cheap for an ascended piece. you can get away with spending 47 gold to make something thats equal to something that takes 270-400 gold.

(edited by mallas.9836)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Unfortunately, you have until next Tuesday to farm the shards. That’s when the next update rolls out, and there’s no guarantee you can still farm the shards. I mean, look at what happened to the chests in scarlet’s lair (which are “supposedly” being put back).

Kal Spiro.9745

Unfortunately, you have until next Tuesday to farm the shards. That’s when the next update rolls out, and there’s no guarantee you can still farm the shards. I mean, look at what happened to the chests in scarlet’s lair (which are “supposedly” being put back).

They were there for the entire time Marionette was up. That was a month, not two weeks.

This has only been up for two weeks, it will most likely be up for two more while we also have more to do inside the drill itself.

MrPersons.1560

What you are essentially are saying is, make it hilariously cheap to make the backpiece so i can have it. As of now, its hilariously cheap for an ascended piece. you can get away with spending 47 gold to make something thats equal to something that takes 270-400 gold.

That is not what I mean. If you do not already have a crafting skill to 500 to make the piece, you have to spend the 50-100g it takes to do that, on top of the 47 gold to make just the back piece. I know blade shards are easy to get I have the exotic version of the piece and I have 2.5 more stacks of the shards.

but that is not the point of this thread. all I am saying is that the colors should be available to all tiers of the piece, but the more you upgrade the piece, the more wings/effects you get.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

They were there for the entire time Marionette was up. That was a month, not two weeks.

This has only been up for two weeks, it will most likely be up for two more while we also have more to do inside the drill itself.

Unfortunately you could also run Marionette all the way up to the point you were dropped off teh server to download and deploy the update. There’s one major sticking point though- once you get the notice that there’s a new build, attempting to change zones forcibly drops you from the game and start downloading the update. Not to mention Anet didnt really give an exact time for when the update was going to be available. You’d be correct if they STOPPED dropping ciphers a day or two before the update went away as a big hint for people to actually go out and use the ciphers they had before the update came.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I didn’t have any Crafting levels up to 500 when they released the Spinal backpack items. But, it was something I was interested in, so I leveled up. It didn’t cost me much….about 2-3 gold, I think, because I had most of the mats in the bank. I did have to go out and collect iron ore, though, but it didn’t take more than a day or so.

I don’t think every level of the backpack should be able to glow or change colors. One of the things people asked for in the CDI about progression was other ways to feel there is something to work towards, yet attainable, and desirable. I think glowy colors is pretty desirable, and if the game just hands them out too easily, no one will feel much of a sense of progression. People will notice the colors and the glow, not how many ‘wings’ there are, probably.

Kal Spiro.9745

Unfortunately you could also run Marionette all the way up to the point you were dropped off teh server to download and deploy the update. There’s one major sticking point though- once you get the notice that there’s a new build, attempting to change zones forcibly drops you from the game and start downloading the update. Not to mention Anet didnt really give an exact time for when the update was going to be available. You’d be correct if they STOPPED dropping ciphers a day or two before the update went away as a big hint for people to actually go out and use the ciphers they had before the update came.

Yes, that wasn’t cool, but it was still available for a full month. This doesn’t work the same way since it just involves getting things to use on MF. You can always do that even if the event has ended.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Save all the special mats required (blueprint and blade shards) to craft one and craft it at a later point in time.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I just hope the color option reward is something that can be worked toward later so that everyone who is taking their time making the backpack can get it instead of only those rich enough to ascended it during the event itself can benefit.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I don’t have level 500 either to make the final item, but I’m just holding onto the ingredients until I can raise it high enough to the ascended stage. I doubt that Arenanet will remove the recipe from the toilet any time soon. In truth, I think it’s quite ugly and will trans stone it later for the stats.

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

I don’t have level 500 either to make the final item, but I’m just holding onto the ingredients until I can raise it high enough to the ascended stage. I doubt that Arenanet will remove the recipe from the toilet any time soon. In truth, I think it’s quite ugly and will trans stone it later for the stats.

That’s pretty much what I’m doing, since I don’t have any of the needed disciplines to 500 either. You don’t need to transmute it though. If you open the Hero Panel, there should be a check mark to determine if you show it or not.

mallas.9836

I just hope the color option reward is something that can be worked toward later so that everyone who is taking their time making the backpack can get it instead of only those rich enough to ascended it during the event itself can benefit.

it may be a reward or MFed like the back piece who knows. And its just changing the colors of the glow. You can get this core and hold onto it while you finish the ascended back piece.

Just because those that had the money or had their crafting at 500 can do it NOW doesn’t mean you should able to do it NOW. It also doesn’t mean everyone should have them.

I don’t have the glowy skull shield thing from 2 halloweens ago. Does that mean Anet MUST bring it back since i didn’t get a chance at it? No.

I think the point of this backpiece was to gather mats enough to make up to exotic and have enough shards left over to eventually make the ascended back at your own pace.

Demanding or even asking for the same reward as those that have farmed and got crafting up to 500 and all the mats, is selfish.

You don’t get 23 million dollars a year for flipping burgers.

The point is, do it at your own pace. The fact you can’t get it done NOW is irrelevant and your problem.

mallas.9836

That is not what I mean. If you do not already have a crafting skill to 500 to make the piece, you have to spend the 50-100g it takes to do that, on top of the 47 gold to make just the back piece. I know blade shards are easy to get I have the exotic version of the piece and I have 2.5 more stacks of the shards.

but that is not the point of this thread. all I am saying is that the colors should be available to all tiers of the piece, but the more you upgrade the piece, the more wings/effects you get.

Thats not what you said when you posted. But lets take that. The glow on the wings at ascended are minimal outside of the jetpack ish area.

The appearance on each combination changes. Why should you have the “best” or be rewarded with a similar appearance for much less work (which isn’t all that much more if you actually tried).

I will give you some tips on how to get money if you don’t have hours on end:

guild missions – every 10 commendations is about 13-16 gold for the insignias as the bottom of the first tab. you get 2 gold and possible more from ectos and or exotics. But 2 gold is assured.

30 gold every 2 weeks

orichalcum ores – get all 40ish every day thats 2 ish gold. If you have multiple characters do that multiple times.

laurels – each laurel can net you around 70-90 silver buying the heavy mat bags (1 laurel)

So overall in 2 weeks:

34 gold from missions (not including the rares you get)
20 gold from orichalcum ores (if you do that on ONE character)
10+ gold from laurels (unless you are super unlucky and get no top selling mats)

Total of 64 gold.

If you did nothing else than just that, within a month if it cost you 120 gold to lvl 400-500 crafting, you have it done.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

All I want is to have a glowing Spinal Blades. I care not about its colour. But because Anet appears to hate people who play multiple characters (I have mults, not alts), I will never have one.

Great job Anet! Thanks for locking some of your most loyal customers out of content!

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

All I want is to have a glowing Spinal Blades. I care not about its colour. But because Anet appears to hate people who play multiple characters (I have mults, not alts), I will never have one.

Great job Anet! Thanks for locking some of your most loyal customers out of content!

I would be very interested in something:
What exactly about having alts or “mults” prevents you from crafting the back item? Having “mults” indicates, that it can’t be lack of time many others (including me) suffer from.

So if you wanted to, you could have crafted it by now. You not putting the effort into leveling one crafting discipline of your choosing to 500 can not exactly be considered ANet’s fault.

Your statement is very similar to something like “I don’t do dungeons – and because ANet hates people not running dungeons, I’ll never have <insert random dungeon skin>”

The new backitem is by far the easiest to get. Others had to run fractals in a loop to farm relics or throw lots of t6 mats into the mystic toilet in order to get an ascended backpiece.

MrPersons.1560

Save all the special mats required (blueprint and blade shards) to craft one and craft it at a later point in time.

guess thats what I will end up doing. at least you can do that, if you had to do all that (get enough gold and a 500 crafting skill) in just 2 weeks, that would have just been mean.

I also hope that the item you use for color you can save for later also. I don’t see why you couldn’t but hopefully you can.

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

gift of blades is also sold by miyani (or any mystic forge vendor), so that recipe still may be available after the update, the only limited supply would be the blade shards and the blueprint pieces. You could also just buy the recipe now while you work on 500 crafting. Personally, I found this recipe much cheaper than others, and was an easy ascended backpiece for my alt engi.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Perhaps we’ll get a blade shard node in our home instance in the next release?

I think the upgraded (colored) backpiece should be legendary quality.

I mean, every upgrade to it so far has resulted in a jump in item quality.

It’s also required two gifts by that point. (And the gift of wine is likely to be a crafted gift as well.)

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s pretty much what I’m doing, since I don’t have any of the needed disciplines to 500 either. You don’t need to transmute it though. If you open the Hero Panel, there should be a check mark to determine if you show it or not.

Same, only I’m stopping at Exotic anyway because it has all the stat combinations, rather than just a handful.

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

What ? Doing LA 6 times could give you enough blades for one Pieces or recipe are selling for a silver. How on earth is having multiple chars effecting this? None of these drops are level dependent. I have enough to make 3 right now.

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

The glow effects should remain on the ascended version only.

The cost and grind was very minimal considering the quality of the skin.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

What ? Doing LA 6 times could give you enough blades for one Pieces or recipe are selling for a silver. How on earth is having multiple chars effecting this? None of these drops are level dependent. I have enough to make 3 right now.

The problem is not blades. The problem is the complete BS of crafting to 500 for ascended.

I play quite a bit, I do log reasonable amounts of time in game. However, I do not have large blocks of time with which to do farmable content. The amounts of gold required to get 500 in all the weapon and armour smithing crafts which I would require to fully equip all my mults with ascended gear is absolutely ludicrous. So rather than favour one class/mult and get ascended crafting for that one alone, I have chosen to refuse this entire ascended cow trollop.

I, and everyone else with many mults, basically has 3 choices: farm grinding, lay down real £ on gems with which to buy gold with which to buy mats to participate in this garbage, or not bother at all.

I was all fine and dandy with not having ascended gear/crafting until this (likewise legendaries which, for the most part, are stupid). Now they have started to properly discriminate against mult/altoholics by adding special features like this which are accessible ONLY through participating in their grindcrafting.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Just because those that had the money or had their crafting at 500 can do it NOW doesn’t mean you should able to do it NOW. It also doesn’t mean everyone should have them.

Right. And i never said otherwise.

I don’t have the glowy skull shield thing from 2 halloweens ago. Does that mean Anet MUST bring it back since i didn’t get a chance at it? No.

No, they shouldn’t, and i never said they should.

I think the point of this backpiece was to gather mats enough to make up to exotic and have enough shards left over to eventually make the ascended back at your own pace.

Yeah, on your own time since you apparently have an indefinite amount of time to upgrade it after the event. They shouldn’t require you to have all that money and grind during the event itself to get the specific color you want though if the whole thing is supposed to be a long term goal. Hopefully the color is also something you can do at your own pace.

Demanding or even asking for the same reward as those that have farmed and got crafting up to 500 and all the mats, is selfish.

You’re right. Good thing i never demanded that then, huh?

The point is, do it at your own pace. The fact you can’t get it done NOW is irrelevant and your problem.

Not my problem at all, actually.

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

The problem is not blades. The problem is the complete BS of crafting to 500 for ascended.

I play quite a bit, I do log reasonable amounts of time in game. However, I do not have large blocks of time with which to do farmable content. The amounts of gold required to get 500 in all the weapon and armour smithing crafts which I would require to fully equip all my mults with ascended gear is absolutely ludicrous. So rather than favour one class/mult and get ascended crafting for that one alone, I have chosen to refuse this entire ascended cow trollop.

I, and everyone else with many mults, basically has 3 choices: farm grinding, lay down real £ on gems with which to buy gold with which to buy mats to participate in this garbage, or not bother at all.

I was all fine and dandy with not having ascended gear/crafting until this (likewise legendaries which, for the most part, are stupid). Now they have started to properly discriminate against mult/altoholics by adding special features like this which are accessible ONLY through participating in their grindcrafting.

I have a level 80 in everything but War and Ele. I’m leveling a War now 55 I think.
So I started slowly leveling Crafting skills I was already at 400 in all but cooking and artificer. First weapons because everybody needs weapons. So I did weapon smith then huntsman. Picked a char and made 3, to give to it. Next Leatherworking because that char I picked was a thief. Chest first because it takes the most mats. All the time banking every time gated Item I could make as I raised skill in the other professions.

I spend 15 minutes a night on this project roughly I have at lest 20 of each time gated item. It takes between 1 to 5g a day to do this depending on how much silk crap I farm. It’s doable in and hour and a half a night some time I skip a day because I don’t want to spend the gold. If I did dungeon runs it would be faster.