Pre-rendered disappointment

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I am disappointed in the pre-render playback for these cutscenes. It uses subpar quality resolution and has stuttering throughout….they did the same thing with the Zephyr (bazaar of the four winds cinematic) where there was massive frame-rate inconsistencies and incredibly poor resolution quality.

This one isn’t nearly as bad as the bazaar of the four winds….but if you are going to simply playback a pre-made video for the cinematic, at least give it the quality it deserves.

To those of you having sound issues etc. I have it uploaded in 1080(-ish)

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

In all honesty, I understand the need to make this one pre-rendered…

There were explosions and such.

I’d imagine that the game engine isn’t really designed for explosive environments.

However, Bazaar of the Four Winds should have been rendered in-game in my mind.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Indeed, the quality was worse than 1080p youtube videos. Just terrible for year 2014.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

I’d imagine that the game engine isn’t really designed for explosive environments.

Maybe they should pre-render all the zerg fights as well then? There s so many explosions there and you dont really do much. They could make QTEs out of them!

Seriously: they pre rendered it because it switches locations very fast and the engine would have to load and unload a lot of models/textures etc.

However that is no excuse for sub console level compression and horrible execution of the introduction. The attack should have been gradual not an instant change with people not knowing what to do or where to go.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

they need to work on the motion of their camera, this isn’t the first scene i’ve seen that felt like vision from a drunken sparkfly.. it kind of detracts from what they do well in their cinematics

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Zietlogik.6208

I am not disappointed that it is pre-rendered, I am disappointed that the pre-render quality is horrible. Iv’e played so many games that have pre-rendered cutscenes, but the framerates should be BETTER than normal.

If they are recording it on their own machines, then there should be NO excuse for it to be below 120fps, 1080p. The quality is lower than 1080, and with inconsistent framerates, it is just ruins the experience a bit.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Indeed. The pre-renders from arcade games I used to play looked better.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

I suspect the large download it would require is the suspect.

It would be cool if the updater asked beforehand

“Do you want to include Hi-Res Cinematics? WARNING will increase the size of the update significantly”

I would pick “Yes”

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Posted by: Caveth.3268

Caveth.3268

I suspect the large download it would require is the suspect.

It would be cool if the updater asked beforehand

“Do you want to include Hi-Res Cinematics? WARNING will increase the size of the update significantly”

I would pick “Yes”

I hope they include this option someday. I would definitely choose ‘yes’ as well.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Looks like a Bink video.

They usually have really bad quality if compressed enough for a reasonable download size.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I am not disappointed that it is pre-rendered, I am disappointed that the pre-render quality is horrible. Iv’e played so many games that have pre-rendered cutscenes, but the framerates should be BETTER than normal.

If they are recording it on their own machines, then there should be NO excuse for it to be below 120fps, 1080p. The quality is lower than 1080, and with inconsistent framerates, it is just ruins the experience a bit.

30fps 1080p would be just fine if they would use CRF20 with x264 encoder.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Does anyone know why game developers don’t just use H.264 for cutscenes? I can see why console games use Bink (extremely limited space and RAM) but for a PC only game it seems like an awful choice...

A good looking 2 minutes 1080p@30fps video is pretty small if you encode it properly.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

(edited by Spiuk.8421)

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I would have rather had no cinematic to that one. Now I do like that they’re giving exposition the old college try, but that cinematic was shameful.

Both that one and Zephyr were shameful. For all their improvements, this was grueling to watch.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Zietlogik.6208

This one was better than the Zephyr one…that one…just ugh (I have the item that replays it on an alt….)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Bazaar of the Four Winds makes sense, seeing how they – for some reason that doesn’t make complete sense – wanted to tie the cinematic to an item that you’d get from achievements (one I presume many subsequently deleted after using it to spam the bank in LA). Honestly though… I saw nothing odd with that cinematic?

However, LA’s cinematic pre-rendering only makes sense if they wanted it to be showing the actual game graphics (in which case, low quality… not so great!). IMO, it should have been the paint-stroke cinematics like the Tower of Nightmare destruction (which featured explosions!).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.