Suggestion: dealing with dead ppl

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Of course it will happen, but if enough people learn to leave the dead where they are, those dead will never get event credit (Bob will be dead too soon enough.) and maybe just maybe they will realize that they won’t get their precious rez in an event and waypoint because they really want the loot.

You are right that saying it in chat does nothing because neither does explaining fight mechanics. We learned that with the Marionette.

But here, anyone who clicks this link, we CAN inform as to why it’s a terrible idea to rez the fully dead. They are here. They are reading already. Maybe, just maybe, they will comprehend the reasons.

And again maybe not. But at least I can try here to an audience that physically decides to read the information by clicking the post in the first place.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Kumu Honua.2751

Better answer is if you simply cannot tell? Don’t rez anyone at all.

Your personal survival is far more important than someone who is downed.
Your personal survival is overwhelmingly more important than someone who is dead.

However there are many ways to tell.

1. They have a fully 0’d out health bar. A downed player will have some pseudo life at least.
2. They are fully flat on their back when dead. A downed player is half way up and moving like they are twitching in pain. They may even have particle effects shooting out of them.

So if you personally can’t make the distinction for whatever reason (Particle effect overabundance without the ability to turn them off is another issue entirely.) then play the safe route. Don’t rez anyone at all. Leave it to others. You are better spent dealing damage to the boss and paying attention to giant AE circles on the ground. Surviving to deal the DPS needed to win.

Don’t avoid events. Just try to get better. Learn. Improve yourself. Learn why something is detrimental to the whole even though it’s actually something you want to do on a normal basis.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Fundamentally, there is nothing wrong with dead players waiting for a res. The problem arises because there are situations where the surviving players simply cannot take the time to stop and res these people, usually because they’re on a strict timer and time spent ressing means time spent not dealing damage. I would classify this as a poorly designed encounter rather than uncooperative players (although I won’t absolve the latter completely of blame if they know that the event is under time pressure and choose not to WP).

I personally would change it so that dead players cannot be ressed except by players who are out of combat. Furthermore, if you are dead (not just downed) when the event completes, you get no rewards. Finally, ressing players will give the resurrectors karma, with more karma being awarded for ressing dead people than downed.

This should encourage people to:

a) play more defensively/use more defensive gear/builds so as not to die as often.
b) WP immediately when they are killed if they are in an event (if they already qualified for credit, they’ll get credit even if they’re halfway across the map as long as they’re alive)
c) encourage people to res dead/downed players when the situation permits

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Dalris, you can easily do some dodge-training when it comes up in the daily. Find a mob type with easy tells that aggro’s, do not attack, and practice the double-tap in different directions for a dodge. I suspect dodge-training is why it was put into the daily completion award rotation.

Two examples come to mind: Just outside of LA in Gendarran Fields to the North West are griffens which, when airborne, flap three times before swooping. Count the flaps and try to dodge before the swoop. If they land, move around until they take to the air again. Kill them if you get low on health and want a fresh start.

Also, some of the worms aggro and throw rocks, snowballs and things. In Frostgorge Sound around the Jormag event area are some of these worms. Walk into aggro range and a worm will try to snow you. Watch for the tell and try to dodge.

You do not need to practice dodging every day and doing it for the daily is a quick method to get 1/5 the way toward completion.

One last suggestion is to consider buying a game pad if keyboard play is too clunky. I have one for that very reason – The game pad is programmable and all the buttons are clustered in a more ergonomic way than on a keyboard. It takes a while to learn but the investment paid off for me. WASD movement is tied to a joystick for the thumb freeing the other fingers for attacks, utilities, and function keys. A mouse with a few programmable buttons serves the few remaining functions so the keyboard is only used for communication.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Make them eat their own words and realize that the 99% can’t afford to WP ALL the time because of the selfish 1%.

this is satire, right, RIGHT? Or is GW2´s playerbase even more abysmal than generally expected? Hopefully the first.

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

Causes:
1.) Waypoints cost money and can be far away, and even farther if adjacent waypoint are contested. Sure it’s lazy, but also valid. Probably designed this way to prevent graveyard zerging. So which is the lesser evil?
2.) Mistakes happen, especially when dodge or die mechanics are involved. When they do there’s always hope that a kind soul will rezz you and you get instantly get back into the fight.

Effects:

1. Removes your DPS as well as theirs.
2. Causes a bunch of people to go to one spot to get splatted by AE as they rez.
3. Increases your “value” for an enemy to target making #2 worse.
4. Causes you to be semi-prone and vulnerable.
5. Probably gets you killed as well as them because of how long it takes to rez adding yet another loss of dps.

If dead players scale bosses or events, or if a boss is designed for 50 players and 15 are dead or otherwise occupied rezzing the dead the rest of the encounter may be for nothing. So it’s either graveyard zerging or taking into account for “R” factor.

If a player is revived with max rezzers it takes about a second or two. I’d speculate that’s more often than not the same if not less DPS than would be lost by said player running across the map for 20 seconds.

Rezz your dead.

Or they sit there.

Being dead.

Legendary Defender of Casuals

(edited by Squee Squashington.5189)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I don’t wanna quote now.. since I might be quite alot of you but.

I hate to rezz dead people in zergs atleast near WPs.
- Dead people near WP’s are just lazy and it is not about a few silver (If it is you die alot).
- Dead people may be AFK and die again.
- Some people just can’t dodge and dies again after a rezz.
- Rezzing dead people takes away my effort to the battle in a DPS-race (Zerg battles with timers).
- people who type: ‘rez pls’ in the middle of a zerg is totally ignored for the rest of that battle.

Why I rezz dead people
- Dead people are very far away from a WP.
- I assume that the dead player is good.
- It is my friend and is far from a WP or else I tell him/her to WP.
- I see someone in downed state and I try to rezz but there are a stupid corpse in the – — way (Ofc I stop to rezz that lazy mother but when many players do that it gives the —- lazy ones hopes of getting rezzed).
- I am out of combat and away from danger.

I do on the other hand rezz people during the Knight’s becouse so few players go down and usually many others rezz and it takes no time at all. And WP’s is not very far away but IMO it’s far enough away. I myself though WP’s and run back.

Another point to that; What happens if everyone stops typing: ‘Dead people WP!!!’, ‘WP kitten dead kitten WP you kitten kitten kittens you only kitten for the rest of us kitte… um… people!’ and starts rezzing people instead. Just what I mentioned above, when many helps to rezz dead players it takes no time at all, it would almost take more time to type and tell people to WP.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I agree that some people abuse the rezzing system. The proper etiquette, I believe, is that you ONLY wait for a rez if the fight is within thirty seconds of finishing, a minute tops. Under those circumstances, you probably wouldn’t make it back in time and be able to contribute anything useful so you may as well stick around.

Outside of that though, it is profoundly rude to just take a nap when everyone else is trying to win you prizes, and I find that unconscionable behavior. I am a champion rezzer, I got the Achievement well early, have Shadow Refuge on my Thief, and probably rez an average of 10-20 downed players per day under the current LW, maybe 5-10 on a normal day, but people that drop in the first few minutes of a Knight fight and then just chillax on the ground really make my blood boil.

Rezzing a dead player takes way too long, and that means they aren’t helping, and it means I’m not helping. The only time I do occasionally rez dead in Knight fights is when I’m on green, during a Power phase, and with relatively few players, because under those circumstances, the runback is at least reasonably long, my damage is relatively low, and it’s better to have everyone up than to have some jerk lying on his face.

It would be nice though if there were a way to “finish” dead players in PvE, just to remove them from the battlefield so that they don’t get in the way of rezzing proper downed players or interactables.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Kedioran.2154

Kedioran.2154

Haven’t read the whloe thread but maybe an other solution:

Dead people in such events (or in the complete game) get a 20 second counter. if someone is ressing them the counter will reset to 20. if he is stopp ressing, the counter will start to count down again.
If the counter is at 0 the person is ported to the nearest waypoint (with port costs) and he/she can walk back.
So he/she doesn’t scale the event, if no one resets the timer and if someone like to ress him/her, he’s/she’s got all time he/she needs.

And no AFKDead People who scale the event. If they are AFK at the Waypoint, who cares. They don’t scale it up.

Greetings
Kandro Flammenklaue

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I just think people need to respect each other in both directions.

If you go down during a fight, hopefully someone will be there to rez you before you are fully defeated. Do your best to tag a mob/add with low health and steal a revive, or spam your healing if you’re out of damage range of any other mobs. That is, help yourself as well. Only expect someone to help you if it’s safe for them to do so – no point you both going down.

If you are in combat and you see someone go down, rez if safe to do so. It takes all of 2 seconds, then you are both back in combat and contributing. Once you are rezzed, dodge out of any damage that might be coming, heal up and get back to the fight.

Now, if you end up fully defeated, sure, hang around a few seconds and see if someone comes to rez. It might be safe, and three or four ppl may stick around to help rez you and that’s totally fine. Just say thanks to them and be on your way.

DON’T keep screaming “REZ” at people. They KNOW you’re there, probably they’re busy. If it’s dangerous to rez, you can’t ask them to do that knowing all that will happen is they’ll end up dead too. Nobody’s helping anyone that way.

If you see someone down who hasn’t immediately way pointed, DON’T scream “WP” at them. It’s just rude, and all it encourages is them not way pointing just to spite you. A polite request that if people are downed and there’s a wp nearby, perhaps they might do so is fine. If it’s not safe to rez them, leave them. If it is, rez them if you want. They really aren’t scaling the fight up so much that it makes all that much difference. If they insist on staying where they are, then let them. Someone will rez them soon enough or they’ll have to eat the wp fee at some point anyway.

It’s really quite simple.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Everyone who is complaining about the event scaling up, once it scales up it DOES NOT scale back down. If all the dead players (let’s say 30 from a Knight pull) that you all refuse to rez just WP and tell you all the sod off then the left over 20 (keeping the numbers simple to the intended group size) get to finish off a Knight scaled for 50 players.

And yes the Elemental glyph does work from the DEAD state. I’ve been using it with Earth attunment to rez 3 at a time. It sucks that I can do it only every 80-90 seconds though.

I rez EVERYONE except for the WP criers. It is fun watching THEM whine about not getting rezzed while you’re rezzing everyone else. Then the mob mentality changes and they realize they’ve become public enemy number ONE.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

CrossedHorse.4261

Thanks Anchoku. I will try some of the examples you gave. To put it in context = when I’m feeling “in the zone”, i.e. had a good day’s session, I do try the daily dodger, but I have trouble against the Ettins in Queensdale.

I have trouble against the Ettins… I know right?

I’ll totally admit, I have the PEBKAC problem. It’s not the hardware, but the brain.

I do have a better shot at dodging when it’s me, and the one mob.

But, to exaggerate, when it’s…

Oh my God, gotta keep up, run run run, ok it’s melee time, omg, red rings on the ground everywhere, people are scattering, going ranged, ok, I’m shooting, trying to shoot, CRAP, I clicked swap weapon twice, and I’m back to melee, there’s blue smoke everywhere, is that bad, wham, dead, what do you mean “How could you not dodge the huge boulder coming your way?” Ummm… what boulder? Who threw it? I didn’t even see the throw…

That’s what I’m working with here.

But when I talk to people, many comment on how “Everything is so telegraphed and easy, it’s like playing chess…” I don’t know what to say except, holy crap, must be nice to have reflexes like that, heh.

Anyways, hopefully soon, I’ll have Ettins down, then I can move up to the other examples you gave.

Sidebar = In the Knights fight, when I’m sucked in to their vortex, I frantically tap Dodge right after I notice I’ve been drawn in. My success rate is 50-50, heh. Forgettaboutit if I had to do a timed Dodge, at least with the “event panic” going on.

But thanks again for the examples, I’ll try them.

I know what you’re saying. Sometimes I’ll be in the middle of a fight and wonder where some massive hit came from.

But, actually, the knight’s fight is a perfect place to practise. So, stay at range, and when you see the huge AOE circle come up, wait. Leave your char on auto-attack (no conditions) and just watch the ground. When the mark disappears, dodge. The reason people don’t always get this dodge is because they try to dodge too early, while the marks are still up. If you always dodge as soon as it has disappeared (you get about a second to react, so if you are watching the ground, you can’t miss it), you will get the evade.

Trust me, I am not good at dodging either – I watch for telegraphs but even when I see them sometimes I get it wrong on the timing. It’s just practising with the same mobs over and over – fight enough griffons and you learn what they do. If you don’t fight many ettins, you don’t know how they work or how long you have to dodge etc. It’s a case of having done the SAME fights again and again.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Thanks Anchoku. I will try some of the examples you gave. To put it in context = when I’m feeling “in the zone”, i.e. had a good day’s session, I do try the daily dodger, but I have trouble against the Ettins in Queensdale.

I have trouble against the Ettins… I know right?

I’ll totally admit, I have the PEBKAC problem. It’s not the hardware, but the brain.

I do have a better shot at dodging when it’s me, and the one mob.

But, to exaggerate, when it’s an event, usually a massive one, where…

Oh my God, gotta keep up, run run run, ok it’s melee time, omg, red rings on the ground everywhere, people are scattering, going ranged, ok, I’m shooting, trying to shoot, CRAP, I clicked swap weapon twice, and I’m back to melee, there’s blue smoke everywhere, is that bad, wham, dead, what do you mean “How could you not dodge the huge boulder coming your way?” Ummm… what boulder? Who threw it? I didn’t even see the throw…

That’s what I’m working with here.

But when I talk to people, many comment on how “Everything is so telegraphed and easy, it’s like playing chess…” I don’t know what to say except, holy crap, must be nice to have reflexes like that, heh.

Anyways, hopefully soon, I’ll have Ettins down, then I can move up to the other examples you gave.

Sidebar = In the Knights fight, when I’m sucked in to their vortex, I frantically tap Dodge right after I notice I’ve been drawn in. My success rate is 50-50, heh. Forgettaboutit if I had to do a timed Dodge, at least with the “event panic” going on.

But thanks again for the examples, I’ll try them.

EDIT Addendum = What is hard for me is that I don’t have to dodge the shot, I have to dodge the projectile. In some mobs, I see the huge “power up” effect, I dodge, and then the mob corrects it’s aim, and hits me anyways. I’d have less trouble if the “window” was bigger i.e. if dodging would “count” if I dodge during the “wind up” phase, I’d be hit less.

For example, I’ve tried dodging worms. They wind up, I dodge, they toss the boulder, I’m hit. That TINY (for me) time span between when they release the rock and it hits me is the dodge window, and, well, I’m not that good to be able to dodge mid rock “flight” if that makes sense.

I really don´t understand this. I am middle aged now and probably my reflexes are nowhere near they were when I started playing computer games – it is very, very easy, a lot easier than dodging in most parts of the game. The circle appears, a huge knight leaps into the air, which is impossible to miss, there are no particle effects blocking this sight, he rises, pauses a short time when he reaches highest point and then slams down. When he reaches maximum height, you can dodge, easily, within a rather wide frame of time.

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

There are only 3 waypoints available in LA, and they’re almost always 10 miles away from the event. Unfortunately, most people are not going to want to run back, when they can wait for a helpful person to rez them.

Then they better start to learn the Boss’s mechanics and dodge instead of die :P

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Found a shorter way to say things.

How many people on the boards describe a Guild Wars encounter :

2+2 = 4.

How I see a Guild Wars encounter :

http://ej.iop.org/images/0067-0049/108/2/529/Full/df19.gif

Just saying. Not trying to suck up, but you guys might have to admit that you’re above average, maybe WELL above average.

Just saying.

WHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA you just made my DAY! LMAOROFL

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

For the dodging, it is tricky sometimes. Im not a good dodger, so I set out to train. how hard could it be?
It is very hard. Cause what I see isnt what happens. Some mobs have very slow attacks, like arctodus. I see they raise on two legs, run out of harms way and get hit. I run behind them, and get hit. So basically, wherever Im standing/positioned, with this “mobile combat” system, if Im close enough I need to dodge.
For the wurms, I know when they are throwing rocks. So I start moving to one side just before. When they release the rock, I go the other way, and they miss. Usually. But even when I see the rock miss with a mile to the left, BAM, I walk into a pile of ice and is hit. Or I can see the rock change direction in the air after turning, so I change direction again, and though I can see the rock miss to my right, BAM, I get hit because the rock didnt change direction after all, just on my screen.
The worst I have encountered so far for dodging, is that swamp with all those hammer risens. Dont remember if it sparkfly or bloodtide. I still try sometimes, but have yet to dodge even one. They knock me out of middle air. And though I manage some perfectly good dodges as far as I can see, BAM, knocked to the ground though I have dodged away and they havent moved.
So it isnt always as super easy as a lot of people say.
Btw, I make an extra effort to rez guildies, else I rez if I can. I think we should. Though private “rez please” tells is somewhat annoying. I would rez you if I could.

CrossedHorse.4261

snip

I absolutely agree. Which is why I say it’s all about practising the SAME fights again and again and again. Once you fight enough griffons, you know exactly how the griffons telegraph their attacks and exactly when to dodge and how much time you have to do it.

Then you have to go and do it all over again for a different mob.

To some people, this comes naturally. Some people have spent so many hours in game they soak this knowledge up without realising it like some kind of osmosis of reflex dodge action.

To others, like you and me, we learn the hard way. And this takes time and patience, and trial and error, and it can be frustrating. The first couple of times I fought the knights in this patch I was driving myself crazy seemingly unable to find the “thing” that got me the evade when I seemingly dodged at random at any point after the AOE appeared and what didn’t. It took me a few rages and a few rage quits (I’ll admit it, I lost my patience – the hour wait in between fights doesn’t help), but eventually I worked it out. Dodge the moment the AOE disappears. So it will come.

Also, with this particular fight, btw, it’s good if you’re going for the achievement, to join late. I know, it won’t help anyone else, but one time will be fine for you to do this. Only because it can be a LONG fight, and the longer you’re in it, the longer you have to be able to sustain you’re dodging. Once you have the pattern down, it’s not hard at all, but I went for it once and blinked at just the wrong time, taking my eye of the screen and forgot to dodge … yeah. So, join late (I am not sure, but I think if you leave early, you won’t get the achieve, so join late) and dodge at the right time.

Good luck.

Sorry, OP, for being off topic. Back on topic – RESPECT EACH OTHER. Rez if you can and if it’s safe. Never expect a rez, never demand one, and if you haven’t got one, look around and ask yourself why. If it’s not coming, just wp. Completing the event will more than cover the cost of the wp.

Posted by: Gwen.7619

Gwen.7619

This will never happen.
This game is about helping each other out towards one objective.

If you see dead people lying there, you should be helping rez them, get them back on their feet, and attack again.

end of story.

don’t ignore game mechanics then wonder why you didn’t beat an objective.

Exactly! I totally agree with you, I will always try and rez as It is part of the game to support each other in every way you can, I believe Its more skilful to rez someone while avoiding being downed yourself then to just simply dps’ing.

Dead players = lack of awareness skills to respond to downed players.
I’m sure most would forgive and jump to rez the best buddy!

Sorry for my English as I’m Dyslexic

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

For the dodging, it is tricky sometimes. Im not a good dodger, so I set out to train. how hard could it be?

As you have figured out dodging is a art and requires practice, lots of variables from reflexes, timing, keyboard, and of course lag, I play on two very different computers one uses a cheap keyboard that the “S” is very worn (at work), the other uses a game pad (at home) that is very quick to respond, people who I’ve played with regularly know from my success at dodging which machine I’m on. The work computer is so slow using a DSL connection and wore out keyboard I fail to dodge often and to be successful on that machine I have to really anticipate the battle, at home it’s much easier because of a quicker broadband connection, a much faster computer with killer video, and a game pad that is very quick and positive.

I know the topic is rezing players but to me the major cause of downed players is their inability to dodge or anticipate when to dodge an attack, it’s such a important element to battle in GW2 and lots of environmental elements both inside and outside the game have a effect on successful dodging.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Everyone who is complaining about the event scaling up, once it scales up it DOES NOT scale back down. If all the dead players (let’s say 30 from a Knight pull) that you all refuse to rez just WP and tell you all the sod off then the left over 20 (keeping the numbers simple to the intended group size) get to finish off a Knight scaled for 50 players.

And yes the Elemental glyph does work from the DEAD state. I’ve been using it with Earth attunment to rez 3 at a time. It sucks that I can do it only every 80-90 seconds though.

I rez EVERYONE except for the WP criers. It is fun watching THEM whine about not getting rezzed while you’re rezzing everyone else. Then the mob mentality changes and they realize they’ve become public enemy number ONE.

Except the WP criers are usually the ones not getting downed in the first place. And does the Elemental glyph really do that? I’ll have to test it out, because if so, then Anet will probably end up nerfing it to be in line with everything else very soon (because word will spread like fire and people will start abusing it).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I’m noticing more and more dead AFKers at knight events. The knight’s pull and people reviving them cause them to stay active, avoiding the AFK timer. The problem this is creating is not only are they getting pulled into the circles and taking up a slot, but the act of doing so qualifies them for event credit.

They need to add something to punish dead players, like how for every time you get downed, you get reduced downed state health for a while. They should do the same thing for deaths. Once you’ve died x times within y seconds, you should be dead and forced to waypoint (can’t be revived).

Armor breaking as the punishment for death is also quite odd when they’re focusing on zergs because it’s not a punishment to the individual, it’s to everyone else. An individual doesn’t have to care because the zerg will still carry them. Everyone else however now has to carry dead weight due to scaling.

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

Difficult to make the choice. If the dead are few I go for the res but if a zerg of zerglings are getting chewed up by the knight pull then I view it as the event will fail due to a lack of understanding of the telegraph attacks and coming prepared.

When I mean prepared (judgmental) but I make the following assumptions: No food buffs, no Vigil buff, probably a lack of understanding of solid damage rotation going full zerk for the pew pew and no PVT gear/valk gear int he inventory to switch to if learning encounters.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Ardenwolfe, the problem with simply leaving them on the ground is their presence can and does scale up events even though they can not contribute.

You say this as if their absence would scale the event back down, something I’ve yet to see proven.

Anchoku.8142

For those experiencing difficulty dodging, you may also consider using a profession that can get a lot of stability but the frequency of the vortex, or whatever it is called, is fairly high so some form of perma-stability. Judging the right moment to dodge after the giant circle goes away is best I get sucked in, too, on occasion, like when I am res’ing a downed player and fail to disengage quickly enough.

Was that a heat transfer solution I saw? It has been a long time since my education was fresh, my eyes were good, and I had a young person’s reaction time so I understand what others who grew up with pinball may be dealing with.

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

necros should have a skill that revives them and send them in Orr… or they become necros minis…

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I don’t feel bad for leaving fully dead players lying there. I’ve run back on pretty much all the events, sometimes it takes longer (like this time), but I always do it. It’s so dangerous rezzing a dead person in an event where AoE is everywhere and there’s a ton of mobs. Especially in Knight battles, if people are dead in the Knights’ feet, good luck getting a rez there.

Which one is truly a team player – the one who requires 4-5 others to stop their contribution to save their lazy kitten or the one who takes time to run back and get to the fight as fast as possible?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

or, and this might be a shock to some ppl, have the WP cost nothing when you die.
when you die you have to pay 3X….

• you have to pay the WP
  • you have to repair your armor
  • you have a death penalty

ppl who dies already have a hard time, at least lower the penalty in one way or another.

ps. i do find it quite selfish to just let everyone be dead, if you are able to revive them then why not help them?
if they die right at the feet of the legendary or champion enemy then yes i understand but when someone is away from the boss then there is no reason not ressing.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

People need to learn to dodge to avoid getting 1-shot by the AOE. That will solve most of the problems with being fully dead in this event. It’s fine if you’re just downed, I’ll gladly help you up because that’s quick. But if you’re dead, it’s proper etiquette to WP and run back. Asking for someone to rez you when DPS is critical is not right.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Anchoku.8142

Personally, I do not see the cost to WP or repair armor as prohibitive even if a toon is L20 and a player is brand new to the game. WP and armor cost scale down very charitably. Anyone at L80 should be able to scrape a few silver together to pay for incurred damage. I had less than 30 g barely a week ago after paying for the blade backpiece to get to exotic. I do not place a few silver above event success; especially with the decent payout.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

ps. i do find it quite selfish to just let everyone be dead, if you are able to revive them then why not help them?
if they die right at the feet of the legendary or champion enemy then yes i understand but when someone is away from the boss then there is no reason not ressing.

With the event as it was before last night’s patch, every available man absolutely should have been focused on damaging the knight, even if that meant dead (not downed) players stay dead. The margin for victory was way too thin to divert resources to someone who would likely be killed again, and having not learned their lesson, would eat up more precious teammate time. They knights are easier to kill now, but unless I bring someone with an accelerated res speed, I’m still not going to do it.

In a lot of situations in the last two updates, it was way too dangerous to res the dead, EVEN WHEN YOU CLEARED THE AREA. People should be used to that now

Kumu Honua.2751

or, and this might be a shock to some ppl, have the WP cost nothing when you die.
when you die you have to pay 3X….

• you have to pay the WP
  • you have to repair your armor
  • you have a death penalty

ppl who dies already have a hard time, at least lower the penalty in one way or another.

No one in here is even discussing random dead people lying in the middle of the field.

We are specifically discussing people who are dead at an event that is currently in action.

Those people should never be rezzed and they should be waypointing. The cost is theirs to bear for failure to dodge. That’s the tiniest of tiny "punishments’ till they learn how to avoid death.

Posted by: Zanaraxtarus.3954

Zanaraxtarus.3954

This game is about helping each other out towards one objective.

I agree 100%
This game is designed so that everyone can and should help everyone else….
And since lying there dead hurts EVERYONE, the people lying there dead should instead help everyone (including themselves) and simply waypoint and run back.
The ONLY people who do not do this are new players who do not understand that lying there dead is bad for everyone (even themselves) because they do not understand that the event still scales because of their presence, even though they are dead; or the lazy people who don’t want to spend a few seconds (seriously, in how many cases does it take any REAL length of time to run back to the fight from the nearest waypoint?) to run back.
If the boss is almost dead I can understand not wanting to waypoint if there are still enough people to guarantee a kill, but I’ve seen people die in the first few seconds of a fight that is going to take at least 3-5 minutes and lay there the entire fight complaining that no one is reviving them. These people obviously do not understand the game mechanics or the damage they are doing to the other players. When you die, not only does the group lose the damage and utility that you were producing, but the encounter stays balanced as if you were still there contributing that damage and utility, and if someone is silly enough to attempt to rez you, then the group also loses the damage and utility they could be contributing the entire time they are reviving you (meaning you not only took yourself out of the player’s side of the equation, but you also just took one to FIVE additional players out of it, while the mobs’ side of the equation stays just like it was before you died….that is DEFINITELY not helping the people around you). Granted, in some encounters, this is not really a big deal, kitten people can take a couple of seconds and get someone back up fairly quickly without any real danger of all of them being downed, but in fights where it is extremely likely that all 5 will end up downed right alongside the person they were trying to revive, it is most certainly NOT helping the group to stay there when dead.
The moral of the story is this: if your motivations truly are revolving around the good of the group, then you will (in most cases) waypoint when dead. There is no counter argument to this which can hold up to a fact-based analysis. As I said, there ARE encounters where reviving dead players is not a big deal, and in those cases, it should be done when possible. But, in many major fights (especially fights in which the boss has several attacks which can instantly or near-instantly down players) waypointing when dead is the responsible and friendly thing to do.
Don’t let anyone tell you that you GW2 is built around everyone playing together and helping each other out in one sentence and then tell you that spending time reviving dead people who are hurting everyone else trying finish the encounter is the correct thing to do in the next sentence.
You still get credit for the event if you waypoint out and run back.
It is a fact that you are hurting the group by laying there dead.
If you can run back before the fight is over you SHOULD respawn and run back before the fight is over (this is almost always possible with all of the additional speed we can trait or swiftness we can grant ourselves [it was possible in every single fight in Lion’s Arch…I had to do it more than once for almost all of them, playing several different classes]).
I don’t see how people can actually debate something so obvious. Is it because they think we are saying you should ALWAYS run back when dead, no matter which fight it is or how much longer is left in the fight?? (obviously this is incorrect, as is most every extreme…there are ALWAYS exceptions to rules and to argue ANYTHING as an absolute is to lose the argument before it even begins)

Posted by: Zanaraxtarus.3954

Zanaraxtarus.3954

Apologies for the length of this post (had to put it into two posts in order to include everything I felt that needed to be said), but from reading through the posts here, it was fairly apparent that there are still a LOT of people who just do not understand how the mechanics work and NEED a reminder that if they TRULY want to help their fellow players and be friendly, then they NEED to respawn and run back when dead in MANY boss fights. I’m not sure which fact these people do not understand, so I included most of the ones that came to mind. I feel this is an extremely important lesson for all new players to learn (the lesson that lying there when dead is hurting your fellow players and that reviving dead people can actually harm the overall fight far more than it can help…reviving and running back costs almost nothing while lying there dead and causing several more deaths DOES hurt, and it hurts potentially a large number of players)
Until we stop rewarding bad behavior it will not stop, so educate the ones that don’t understand how things work, and ignore the ones that still choose to be selfish and just lay there…
(and no, capitalization does not always mean yelling; sometimes it is used as a way to stress important words so that people can more easily get the meaning of what is being said)

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

If I’m dead in an event I nearly always wp and run back, as otherwise I’m just adding to the scaling problem, plus I really hate when people have tried to rez me and been instantly downed >.<

Sometimes though as soon as I’ve pressed M it says someone is rezzing me – never know what to do for the best then, I’ve been told off for mist-forming out of harm’s way/wp-ing when someone is trying to rez me, apparently that gets on people’s nerves too, so, yeh, whatever you do SOMEONE’S not going to be happy

Also occasionally (BfLA was a good example) wp-ing and running back simply isn’t an option because of the location of the wps and the megamobs in between – however I noticed in LA people were quick to rez everyone as the numbers were needed so much. I think we all realised that if someone has to wp they aren’t going to be rejoining us so our numbers will just go down and down unless we do.

I think really you have to make a choice based on the circumstances, a good and considerate choice, and the same ‘rules’ aren’t always going to apply to every event. Just be considerate, maybe – and that means rezzing people if you need them, too, not just wp-ing and running back if you’re dead. It’s not just dead people that have to think about their contribution to the situation.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

It’d be much better if downed players just didn’t scale the event. Then I could laugh at them spamming map chat. If you die during an event, don’t expect a rez or demand one.

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

I hope they address this issue with some changes to the current system. Simply making dead players not scale the event would not work imo, this solution just asks to be exploited. I also don’t like the idea of taking away the ability to revive dead players while you’re in combat, because this mechanic saved my groups kitten a lot of times in dungeons (I consider my friends and myself mediocre skillwise).
Not giving players a reward when they die during an event is also a bad decision in my opinion, because up until they died, they helped the group to finish the event – why would you just go and ignore their contribution? Does not seem to be fair.

The events where dead players lying around hurt the most seem to be time-based DPS races (Tequatl, Knights, …). For one, dead players scale up the event while not contributing to the overall DPS needed and on a second note, all players rezzing dead ones also don’t contribute for an amount of time – they also are at risk for being downed themselves because they are like sitting ducks. What this means is that it takes longer to deliver the damage needed to kill the boss, ultimately failing because there is not enough time. (That’s what mainly was the problem the first week our server attempted the new Tequatl)

So to address the problem, we could try to eliminate the cause. The developers could for example give us more time to succeed in DPS races.

As a workaround I could also accept a temporary solution like automatically teleporting players to the nearest waypoint (without costs?) after a set amount of time. Maybe also give some dialog options to choose from when you’re dead, like

• Teleport me away after 1 minute if I don’t get rezzed by another player
  • Let me lie around dead but exclude me from event scaling and prevent me from getting rezzed while the event is still active
  • Teleport me away immediatly