Upcoming patch VS Karka event patch.

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: TheUltimateBackStabber.4863

TheUltimateBackStabber.4863

Q:

A year ago ArenaNet released the patch with the Karka attack on Lion’s Arch.
When the Karka’s attacked LA the game was unplayable, lagfest, crashes, skill lag…

Please, don’t let that happen again.

Q. Anyone thinks that the history repeats itself?

Asuran race is the best… +
Fluttershy #1 :)

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Nay, I think they learned from that. Upon entering LA, you will probably be moved to a story instance automatically just like in Kessex hills. Then, after completing it will you be returned to LA as per normal. Which you then will encounter the many overflows.

That’s just my take. Which I hope is right.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I do think that anet has learned a LOT from their previous game play patches. They haven’t done anything as awful as the ancient karka fight since, and have given people time to do stuff. See the Marionette fight, versus the ancient karka fight. I think the “invasion” will be instanced story, then you’ll fight in overflows for the combat parts, much like how they did the tower of nightmares.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Nay, I think they learned from that. Upon entering LA, you will probably be moved to a story instance automatically just like in Kessex hills

I hope you’re right, but I’m not holding my breath here. Even if you’re right, we’re still probably facing 2 to 4 weeks of fighting in overflows of LA after the story instance.

Kessex tower climbs regularly ended in wipe outs, Minion invasions regularly failed, Marionette events fail regularly and the Wurm can only be done by a select few. Even the EoTM roll out failed immediately while the overflow server instances tried to form.

Overflow is not the way to handle this sort of mega event. It’s not working.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Becka Williams.4978

So, you don’t want unplayable crashes, lagfests, and skill lags, but you also don’t want overflows. You want some magical third option that doesn’t exist. Prepare to be disappointed then.

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Failed events in overflow are no better than crashes or lagfests of any sort, even if there is a partial reward for partial success. This is just poor game design, and it’s really not much fun anymore.

I really need to find a pure sandbox MMO where I can go play the game the way I want to play. Sadly, I actually believed that hype about this game back in the pre-release days.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Becka Williams.4978

You want a pure sandbox game, get a single player one.

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Any suggestions?

Becka Williams.4978

The grand theft auto games? Elder scrolls?

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

I really need to find a pure sandbox MMO where I can go play the game the way I want to play.

What do you mean?

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

They definitely learned their lesson from the karka event and it was clear they didn’t have the TECH behind what they were planning. Things changed a lot since then. Have a bit of faith.

I am 100% sure it will be 10x better then what karka was. There might be other problems that appear but there will definitely NOT be the same frustrating problems as karka.

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

The main issues with events like marion, Teq and the wurm is the level of coordination that’s required to succeed is higher than usually exists in a everyone mashed together overflow.

I suspect this event will need far less coordination than the above and so a simple zerg mentality along with a reduced player cap will be enough.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I suspect this event will need far less coordination than the above and so a simple zerg mentality along with a reduced player cap will be enough.

It’s called “Escape from Lion’s Arch” which means: only a bare form of coordination (just to make sure it’s not a rout…) So, yes, I too think it’ll be a simple zerg mentality that’s required.

And I was thinking about the reduced player cap too. I don’t know if they had the option way back then… But I do know they have the option now… We’ll be getting a few more overflows, but we won’t get the huge lagfest that was the Karka event. (oh, and we also have the option to turn off (or down) some rendering options, which will help too if you have a system that’s not high end).

Posted by: CalmestChaos.2463

CalmestChaos.2463

Nay, I think they learned from that. Upon entering LA, you will probably be moved to a story instance automatically just like in Kessex hills

I hope you’re right, but I’m not holding my breath here. Even if you’re right, we’re still probably facing 2 to 4 weeks of fighting in overflows of LA after the story instance.

Kessex tower climbs regularly ended in wipe outs, Minion invasions regularly failed, Marionette events fail regularly and the Wurm can only be done by a select few. Even the EoTM roll out failed immediately while the overflow server instances tried to form.

Overflow is not the way to handle this sort of mega event. It’s not working.

overflows failed in EOTM because none were created. there literally was thousands of players on one server. you could do nothing. they had to close it down while they found out why it was not creating overflows.

Posted by: The Ice Mage.4879

The Ice Mage.4879

When the Karka’s attacked LA the game was unplayable, lagfest, crashes, skill lag…

Well for one thing as people have said since the karka invasion of LA there have been various improvements in the game on the technical side of things.
For one, the removal of culling in favor of the current system which lets you still see at least nameplates of players/enemies but at the same time doing all that stuff like only loading placeholder models for some players and such when there are too many around.

Also more recently, one of the LW updates included changes that I believe made detail of visual effects (for attacks) scale down better in zergish situations.

I’m sure there are probably quite a few things (big and small) that could use some improvement to provide a smoother experience but perhaps with any luck if nothing else, by the time their feature-only update after the end of Scarlet LS comes around we might see more technical improvements. Time wil tell I suppose.

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I just wish they’d fix it so you’d still get influence for whatever guild you were repping while in OF.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

First off, it was over a year ago. Closer to a year and a half, actually… (November 16th, 2012)

Secondly, I think the overall amount of players has decreased dramatically since then.

(I don’t ever remember ArenaNet announcing “we’ve now sold 4 million copies!”… They’ve been clinging on to “over 3 million copies sold” as their marketing tagline for some time now.)

Thirdly, I’d hope the improvements they’ve made to decrease skill lag and such would reduce the impact of a massive zerg.

(Although, I have experienced skill lag in the recent Marionette event.)

Lastly, I fully expect there to be more enemies than the Karka invasion… (Plenty of Toxic Alliance, FLedge, Aetherblades, and Inquest…)

Perhaps part of the initial issue was with everyone targeting a single Karka?

Like that hour-long Karka finale that ended horrendously. Everyone was basically attacking one massive Karka that had incredibly high HP.

Loads of people disconnected at the end and ended up dead without any loot.