What to do with 4250 Blade Shards?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: shinaku.5036

shinaku.5036

Please don’t delete them!

You can hold on to your extra blade shards, as the team will be adding something later which will allow you to convert the shards to something of value. Dev will be announcing more on that later. Thanks!

Do you have any idea how many of them I’ve deleted? Stacks, on stacks, on stacks of them. D=<

word… i definitely kill at least 2 stacks a day…

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

Great. So more account bound garbage to hold onto in hopes that Anet does something so we who do not want legendary items can make use of them. Just like all the Bloodstone Dust, Empyreal Fragments, Dragonite Ore, and such. I have 2 mules now full of the stuff. About time to just clean it out, delete it all, and carry on. Personally, I think no base crafting mats should be account bound unless you only get them via karma.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Great. So more account bound garbage to hold onto in hopes that Anet does something so we who do not want legendary items can make use of them. Just like all the Bloodstone Dust, Empyreal Fragments, Dragonite Ore, and such. I have 2 mules now full of the stuff. About time to just clean it out, delete it all, and carry on. Personally, I think no base crafting mats should be account bound unless you only get them via karma.

Oh don’t even get me started on all the massive stacks of Bloodstone Dust and Dragonite Ore I have clogging my inventories. If they ever come up with a useful recipe that involves more than a dash of each then I’ll be loaded.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

You can hold on to your extra blade shards, as the team will be adding something later which will allow you to convert the shards to something of value. Dev will be announcing more on that later. Thanks!

How about something to trade my dozens of stacks of Bloodstone dust? I’m hanging on to them hoping they’ll be good for something… (yes I have more than enough bricks too)

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Yeah, could have told us a little sooner.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

for those complaining about deleting them, imo your fault. you should no better by now. anet is always pulling rabbits out of their hat.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Seriously? How about an earlier notice than this?? Abotu an hour ago I cleaned out out 15 stacks of shards and about 10 of the belongings as I had finished my Dynamic Back piece, and now you say they are worth something? Can I open a ticket to have them restored?

You have no one but to blame but yourself for tossing a currency/item that is still used in the current LS.

The lengths to which some of you guys go to to defend Arenanet’s gaffs amazes me. Inventory space is a premium. That ArenaNet sells bank tabs and back slots for real money proves as much. If someone discards an item for which they have no use only to regret it two weeks later when another use is added that’s on the developers, not the players.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Now you tell me…

Already destroyed 1,000’s because I was not interested in the backpiece and thought that’s all they would ever be used for…

How are we to know? I have kept other tokens for over a year before finally destroying them, assuming you have forgotton about that particular token so I may as well destroy them.

How are we to know what tokens to keep, what to destroy?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

THANK YOU! I have like 25-30 stacks of these by now, lol.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

for those complaining about deleting them, imo your fault. you should no better by now. anet is always pulling rabbits out of their hat.

Not “always”.
For instance Kiel and Evon badges never had another use.

Posted by: KingDemo.4932

KingDemo.4932

GG arenanet Very well played. You can’t release an item with a certain description and then 2 weeks later say you’re going make a different use for that. Utter Lack of planning on your part.

And seriously all the people saying its our own fault can go fly a kite. It’s not our own fault for deleting materials when the description clearly says its used to make something THAT WE DON’T WANT. The blame is 100% on Anet.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

My guess: 100 Blades plus a found heirloom, a bottle of elonian wine, and 10 crystals can be put in the mystic forge giving out 1 Porous Bone.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

GG arenanet Very well played. You can’t release an item with a certain description and then 2 weeks later say you’re going make a different use for that. Utter Lack of planning on your part.

And seriously all the people saying its our own fault can go fly a kite. It’s not our own fault for deleting materials when the description clearly says its used to make something THAT WE DON’T WANT. The blame is 100% on Anet.

Honestly if you played this game long enough you’d learn to horde everything like I do until the LS fully completes, they do often change or add things during it’s run. Regardless of how things have been and how they will be this is still something more beneficial for everyone than just keeping them without use. Many people have been holding onto them just in case and many of those people have been asking for more use to be given to them and they’ve apparently answered those prayers finally.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

danielrjones.8759

@Zanshin, was able to sell the votes. When it was over.

It’s Anet’s fault people can’t look past the tip of their nose.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

So if no one had created this thread, we would never have known not to delete them until the announcement. Indeed, it appears this thread was too late for many people.

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Blade Shards for power cores, will be what it is. So that power cores can be obtained after the event.

(edited by Moderator)

darkace.8925

So if no one had created this thread, we would never have known not to delete them until the announcement. Indeed, it appears this thread was too late for many people.

Yep. We’d also have missed an opportunity for the ardent fans to blame us for ArenaNet’s shortsightedness.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i have some shards but that’s just a small bit of it, what about all the alliance crap we need to carry with us all the time?
we need 25 of them constantly yet i have no idea how i can use it, it’s not stated anywhere and the description is as clear as mud in diarrhea.
sure i can just hop to the wiki, makes me wonder how much of this game even has any explanation in-game that needs to be explained out of the game.

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

Easy guess since they were added to the sprocket mining vein.
Yet it will be another insane 10k blades for mostly useless vanity items with much likely horrible skin again.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Easy guess since they were added to the sprocket mining vein.
Yet it will be another insane 10k blades for mostly useless vanity items with much likely horrible skin again.

I can see it now…
“Donate blade shards to help rebuild the lion statue!”

“You get 1 alliance supply bag for every 10 blade shards.”

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

@Zanshin, was able to sell the votes. When it was over.

It’s Anet’s fault people can’t look past the tip of their nose.

Zanshin said badges not the vote tokens.

I mean, you can still proudly display your “I voted for Evon!” badge, if you want.
But it’d kind of be like leaving up a “Romney 2008” bumper sticker.

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

It’s frustrating that they are forcing people to buy additional slots by creating system where mobs are dropping thousands of crap. Forcing to use crafting by creating thousands unsellable mats.
The worst thing is that quantity of unsellable items is too kitten HIGH.

Posted by: Vincesco.8340

Vincesco.8340

just delete it, there will never be anything worth having in gw2, it is a “casual only” game.

Kleiner K

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

THANK YOU

so glad,I’ve been letting it pile up on an alt

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

since the character cap is 64(I read somewhere), you’ll need about 96 stacks of blade shards to ensure you’ll never need another one. So really the question is “How do I get 20000 more?” =P

In all seriousness though…can we get another recipe that uses these? like an alternate to twisted watchwork portal device or something?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

since the character cap is 64(I read somewhere), you’ll need about 96 stacks of blade shards to ensure you’ll never need another one. So really the question is “How do I get 20000 more?” =P

In all seriousness though…can we get another recipe that uses these? like an alternate to twisted watchwork portal device or something?

Cap is 128 character slots as far as I know.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Peregryn.6578

Peregryn.6578

Not to hijack the thread or anything silly like that but ….. Why in the name of the eternal alchemy would you make and level 64 much less 128 individual characters? I would think you would go batty just exploring the CITIES that many times much less the other maps.

Posted by: Special K.8143

Special K.8143

What about “Found Heirlooms”? Any chance more stuff will come out to spend these on like blade shards?

Most people have bought both potions for 500 Heirlooms. I’m still collecting them and probably have 200-400 in my inventory. I know you can buy alliance bags/crates, but i dont need anymore blade shards (have over 30 stacks already). I can’t remember if you can buy Tomes of Knowledge or not. but i do remember that there wasn’t a wide variety of things to use Heirlooms on.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Don’t delete them? But the same thing was said about ascended materials…

Blade shards should have been refined through crafting into the components needed and optionally stored in the material storage. Instead using blade shards in the recipe, refine 500 into 1 ascended one, 250 into 1 exotic, 100 into 1 rare, etc.

With blade shards coming only from aetherblades in the future, I doubt there’ll be an actual sink.

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

What am I supposed to do with 4250 Blade Shards?

What am I supposed to do with +10,000 Pile of Bloodstone Dusts?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

/thread

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

What am I supposed to do with 4250 Blade Shards?

What am I supposed to do with +10,000 Pile of Bloodstone Dusts?

level crafting from 450 to 475 on any char (to level those chars f.e.). there might be a time when you want to level up a craftsmanship fast and might be in need of these. however if you have all your crafting maxed out already you could just craft a stack bricks for future uses and throw the rest away.

/topic
it’s nice that for the first time someone at anet thought about a conversion of otherwise possibly unused items. however, since i want asc backpacks on my alts not only i hoard those i get, i’m even grinding for more.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Feeling of Felankor Blade confirmed.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

Excellent. Although I do hope that “something” includes a fair variety of options. :-)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yep. We’d also have missed an opportunity for the ardent fans to blame us for ArenaNet’s shortsightedness.

Nah. It’s not shortsightedness so much as it is not saying everything at all times forever. I mean, how dare they not tell people they had future plans for how to use those Blade Shards?

The fact I can mine them off my Clockwork Generator node in my home instance suggested to me there would be a use later. And, incidentally, there was no need for me to excessively hoard.

Eh, what can I say . . . by the by, could always turn those Bloodstone Dusts and Empyreal Fragments into their upgraded parts? Save some space, level your crafting it you’re 450+ . . .

Or junk it. I mean, not much use to that many stacks.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: ArtemusHunter.9521

ArtemusHunter.9521

Convert the shards to something of value eh?

I think 10k(or more) shards for something of value would/could be a third endurance bar..
>;D

IGN: Floyd Hunter
TheRavingNecromancer.tumblr.com

Posted by: Mr Bimble.2764

Mr Bimble.2764

“Please don’t delete them!

You can hold on to your extra blade shards, as the team will be adding something later which will allow you to convert the shards to something of value. Dev will be announcing more on that later. Thanks!"
Too late Ive deleted over a 1000 because I can’t use them.I don’t want a backpack either.
Why do this? It started at the end of GW,get crap and keep it for months,but keep it quiet!At least we should be allowed to sell to vendors.Make something out of the time we wasted.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

How about just NOT having these things account bound?

I think that would be best.

darkace.8925

Nah. It’s not shortsightedness so much as it is not saying everything at all times forever. I mean, how dare they not tell people they had future plans for how to use those Blade Shards?

The fact I can mine them off my Clockwork Generator node in my home instance suggested to me there would be a use later. And, incidentally, there was no need for me to excessively hoard.

Eh, what can I say . . . by the by, could always turn those Bloodstone Dusts and Empyreal Fragments into their upgraded parts? Save some space, level your crafting it you’re 450+ . . .

Or junk it. I mean, not much use to that many stacks.

Unsurprisingly, you’re defending the indefensible.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Unsurprisingly, you’re defending the indefensible.

What can I say, I like to try my hand at impossible tasks now and then just to be sure they really are impossible. I’ve surprised myself before by actually succeeding.

By the way? I don’t find that much of a problem with this bit other than, eh, them keeping it a secret the Blade Shards would be of use later. Then again – hardly new. Nobody had a clue Nicholas was going to require some of those trophies way back when either . . . resulting in more than a few people going a leeeeeetle nuts and just saving everything over many mule characters.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I think the lesson to be learnt here is that if there is an abundance of a particular item from a living story, we should keep it at least until the living story is over (though having said that, I’m sure there are items that were given extra uses much later after the living story had ended).

Anet could have let us know sooner, definitely. In fact, I made a thread a day or two ago about the ‘abundance of blade shards’ and didn’t receive an official response from Anet on whether or not I should keep them. For all they knew I could have deleted all 6,250 of them – and to those saying it’s people’s fault for deleting them, no actually, it’s not, especially when you get thousands of them taking up precious bank space (and in my case, alt space) and only hear an official response days later on a thread you most likely just happen to stumble across.

Fortunately I stumbled across this thread which finally had an official response, which most likely saved my 6,250 blade shards (thanks OP!). So yes, there was most definitely a lack of communication in this situation, but at least now we have a response.

In the future it would be nice to get confirmation on things like this in time, otherwise there may be an even greater outcry and justified rage from the community.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think the lesson to be learnt here is that if there is an abundance of a particular item from a living story, we should keep it at least until the living story is over (though having said that, I’m sure there are items that were given extra uses much later after the living story had ended).

I think the lesson learned here is keep a modest amount but not all of the stuff. Each person can define their own modest amount.

If I wasn’t a packrat, I’d be able to store more things. Still waiting to know if I should get rid of my Candy-Powered gizmo and still agonizing over whether or not to use my “Sea of Sorrows” book or keep it.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Thanks for letting us know, 2 weeks later.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

We’ve been deleting them like the rest of the overwhelming ascended materials that we don’t have any more room for – the bank and even our characters are pretty full.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Thanks for letting us know, 2 weeks later.

It would have been nice to know that before I deleted thousands of them.

Every other material like this has become useless if the event is over – so historically we were right to start deleting – next time maybe someone will say ‘hey, that’s not its only use’ and overwhelm us until the next iteration of that next use.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

danielrjones.8759

found the reason I had saved them, could be just me. But permanent addition is what caught my attention. Last sentence.

“Additionally, completing the “This Is My City!” meta-achievement rewards a container of desirable items, including a 5-skill-point Scroll of Knowledge, 1 Essence of Luck, 5 Obsidian Shards, 50 Blade Shards, a five-use Guild Shield Finisher, and a rare item.
Note: Aetherblade enemies across Tyria now have an added chance to drop Blade Shards. This addition to their drop list is permanent.”

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

Whatever they will be used for im sure it will be garbage.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Rule #1 for Living Story items: Don’t delete them until the story has ended.

Simply this. How many times do people need to do the same stupid decisions before they learn something simple like this? I bet you’re the same people buying iron ores and other crafting materials just when they peaked after the event.

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: DonRobeez.3560

DonRobeez.3560

Are you kidding me?
I deleted a ton of stacks.

I was convinced they were just there for the backpiece.
Something like this should have been a public announcement or anything obvious so players know not to delete them.

Infested Kerrigan I [TaG]
Gunnar’s Hold
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GloryKittens

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Are you kidding me?
I deleted a ton of stacks.

I was convinced they were just there for the backpiece.
Something like this should have been a public announcement or anything obvious so players know not to delete them.

Or, know to farm them because they’ll have value. Instead of making a dozen back packs because they made the soul bound. GRrrrrr…….

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.