Dragons and Lag

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Since the patch and ofc the updated rewards there has been an increase in players at each dragon event. Along with the influx of player severe lag has made the event almost unplayable. This also effects rewards due to skills not being able to be cast, targeting issues, and disconnects.

At each event map chat is filled with chatter about said lag, so it would appear this is widespread.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I have maximum 7 fps while doing Jorlag and other dlagons, which is totaly unplayable. And my pc can push fps up to 40-60 in normal game conditions so its not totaly crapy rig. But this problem exist ever since game was launched and i would really love to see what specs those machines at ANet have, since they were showing Shatterer with 100s of ppl playing without lag in one of their dev diarys.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

GW2 is the only game I own that lags during events and even just mouslooking through Lion’s Arch. It’s ridiculous. I more than meet the system requirements, and can run the Crysis 3 Beta at 40 FPS. A-net just simply hasn’t optimized their game since the beta, and clearly has no intention of optimizing it further.

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Anet is the only gaming company I know that hasn’t solved, or even meaningfully addressed apparently, the basic problems of an online game. You don’t need to run dragons to experience basic problems such as lag. Run into the TP in LA and you will be the only one there. A few seconds later and a roomful of people pop into existence. Culling, with no enemies present thankfully, but immersion-breaking nonetheless.

Anet solved many of the player playing with other players problems through game elements like shared resource nodes and quests. But, they then made it impossible for groups of players to play together through fps, lag, and culling issues. Anet giveth and Anet taketh away. But, hey, you are getting monthly releases right? They don’t ever address the basic problems but if they keep small groups running up and down a road, the larger problems never occur. Win!

(edited by Raine.1394)

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: SkeeLd.2164

SkeeLd.2164

Even the dragons are lagging lol. Yesterday I did kitten and he didn’t do anything the entire fight except the breath attack and flying up once. I found it hilarious. Also SB only screamed and made portals only once, and didn’t even go untargettable after.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Boingboing.4019

Boingboing.4019

The biggest problem on Far Shiverpeaks is guesting and I can only assume it is a problem for others too. It is fast becoming common knowledge that the dragon chests actually drop stuff that is useful now and people are participating more. More and more are becoming aware that you can only loot a dragon chest once a day but people being what they are have found a way around this. By guesting on another server, you get to loot multiple dragon chests for the same kills but on different servers.

This of course has led to massive influx of players during events leaving me mainly with severe culling, overflow servers and even non-participation in events due to some unknown reason. There was much discussion surrounding guesting as Far Shiverpeaks strained to breaking point in the recent claw of jormag event and the consensus drawn was that one chest per day and only lootable on your home server.

Arenanet need to realise that players will always take the easier option and now that you have given them this relative gold mine of servers to descend upon, destroy dynamic events for the home crowd and leave when they are done, this was inevitable. A fix must be in the workings and fast otherwise these events will become unplayable during peak hours.

TL,DR: Guesting is killing DE’s – only allow players to loot dragon chest on their home server.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Ed of Death.4819

Ed of Death.4819

The lag on Jormags claw last night was horrible. The patch has definitely caused issues. But this is what happens every time there is a patch. It’s just waiting for them to fix the issue now.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

Even the dragons are lagging lol. Yesterday I did kitten and he didn’t do anything the entire fight except the breath attack and flying up once. I found it hilarious. Also SB only screamed and made portals only once, and didn’t even go untargettable after.

Yeah, Jormag went to phase 2 after dropping shields once, then he landed, insta-stunned himself (probably a bug itself, but it’s been there for months), and died before ever doing anything last night.

Sunless at least was trying to attack us, I think. I remember he feared twice (both times the fear struck 10 seconds or so after the animation). Then he was dead. Then I looted the chest. And then 30 seconds later the game teleported me into the water to the south, where a shark attacked me.

So, yeah, fix the lag, and fix the guesting workaround. . .

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Yes this issue is known to everyone, and the events are simply unplayable.
I think it’s due to the so called “Dragon Hunters”, people guesting servers to complete events. This should not be possible, and IMO the rewards should be account bound, this would result in people not farming the events with 5 different characters.
I usually don’t want to hasten you guys, but this needs a fix fast. :/

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

None of this would have happened if they just let us play the game like we wanted… which was really the whole point of this game. Some of us like to farm the same few events because they’re fun or profitable.

But the guesting has to stop. The game is unplayable while doing these events.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Nuvo.5014

Nuvo.5014

Add to all of this that some times at the big event u get to the map and u are in a overflow, so u need to w8 3 hour for another event

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

I have maximum 7 fps while doing Jorlag and other dlagons, which is totaly unplayable. .

LOL nice names!

Agree, the lag is awful. It’s every-kitten-time now. I can’t even use my skills.

Please do something about it!

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Hunter.8690

Hunter.8690

^ agreed. I am getting non participation for events even though I am doing damage to the dragons…..maybe its because my skills quit working 1/4 -1/2 way through the event. The crowds are massive!

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Seriously, you shouldn’t be able to guest and chest on another server if you have completed it already somewhere else with that character. The meta events are unplayable since the patch.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Xehanort.4589

Xehanort.4589

My game just crashed on The Shatterer event after we got him to 50% because there was too many people, i entered back, killed 4-5 dragon minions, then Shatterer died and i didn’t receive the chest. Tell me, is this fair?

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Tequatl last night on Yak’s Bend was pretty bad. I usually get 50-60 fps on best appearance setting and i was down to 14-15 fps for that one, skills lagging like crazy. Everyone in map chat talking about it, too.

(edited by rozcinana.7249)

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

It’s not guesting. It’s the 100x more people from your own server showing up to kill them.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Kayla.5964

Kayla.5964

Has Anet said anything about this? Thanks for posting this btw. I was going to make one and ran across yours.

Here is my problem. I’m on, and always have been on a server that is pretty populated as is. (Jade Quarry) I have been on there since launch and literally up until this last patch I have never experienced this “culling” once. I had the occasional lag spike on dragons when there were a TON of people but never to this extreme. I don’t know if its the guesting or just something that got tweaked the wrong way but this is ridiculous. If it IS the guesting I feel like actual JQ home players shouldn’t be punished so to speak with that feature.

I mean QQ moment here but when I am pulling bronze and silver on dragons or the orr fights when I have been there the whole time, I think that’s a little cruddy. I read something about a fix to culling regarding WvWvW. Is that applying to PvE as well? I mean heck, up until last week I didn’t even know what culling is. I literally had to look it up after I asked in Orr if anyone else was experiencing the same. Lol noob I know.

So yea, TL:DR Has Anet said anything about a fix and is it guesting or just more people logging on.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Kets.5894

Kets.5894

edit

Well I was unaware that was the case, but still something should be done to alleviate the lag, it’s still impacting lots of people.

It really takes away the event when the mob dies within a few minutes and people are skipping across the map during breaths.

(edited by Kets.5894)

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Kayla.5964

Kayla.5964

Wait so is that rumor true? If you “guest” to another server your chest resets?! WHY PUT THE LIMIT IN THE FIRST PLACE!? Oh my goodness!

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

It’s not guesting. It’s the 100x more people from your own server showing up to kill them.

Maybe on your server.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Reaver.9256

Wait so is that rumor true? If you “guest” to another server your chest resets?! WHY PUT THE LIMIT IN THE FIRST PLACE!? Oh my goodness!

That rumor isn’t true at all. There were a few chest that you could redo but guesting had nothing to do with it and they’re fixed now.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Reaver.9256

Maybe on your server.

You really think the problems on JQ(the most populated server) are from guesting???? I laugh at that. Anyone with half a brain would never even think of guesting there to do events. Most people guest to smaller servers so they can actually use skills during events.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Geekfox.4267

Geekfox.4267

My game just crashed on The Shatterer event after we got him to 50% because there was too many people, i entered back, killed 4-5 dragon minions, then Shatterer died and i didn’t receive the chest. Tell me, is this fair?

Unfortunately, killing only Shatterer’s minions doesn’t count towards contribution.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

I wonder if this might actually be fixed “quite easily”. As far as I understand, the overflow system is there to prevent performance/latency issues in areas with massive amounts of players.
So why not simply trigger the overflow system earlier, at a smaller amount of players than it does now?

I’m aware that there are other problems that might be caused by this however. For one you would probably deprive a certain amount of players from participating in these events together.
Or prevent some players from participating at all because of a timer issue for the dragons on the overflow servers and possible prerequisites for the Orr temple events.
However I’m honestly not sure how severe these issues might actually become. Especially in comparison to the current problems.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

Can we get a dev to let us know if this is being worked on? The chest events are basically unplayable. My computer was just built two weeks ago, and it well exceeds the minimum requirements for GW2, so I know it’s not that.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Kilic Bela.4680

Kilic Bela.4680

Jorlag is hilarious when he can’t take off. All the dragibs are seriously buggy and laggy atm

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: lorenzo.3649

lorenzo.3649

The lag is due to people using the Guesting system to farm Dragons and this have to stop, in another post i suggested that if you use the guesting system you are not allowed for the chest from the main events.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: PadmaN.7820

PadmaN.7820

You cannot loot the same chest twice with 1 toon after last patch. Guesting has nothing to do with lag. Maps have limits of ppl. If servers can’t handle the limit Anet set themselves, they should either upgrade servers or make the limit smaller.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: athuria.2751

athuria.2751

I wouldn’t say “never be allowed to loot chests on other servers ever” because that’s kind of punishing to people who are guesting to run around with their friends, but if Anet is determined to keep them once a day then having that limit extend across servers (As in, you can loot your chest on any server but they all share the same cooldown, so after that you would not get a chest anywhere until it reset) or having a smaller overflow limit in those areas would help—and not just for people guesting but for the floods of the local server population coming out.

I’ve noticed culling in general has been worse in PvE since that Feb patch that was supposed to help fix it in WvW, but the amount of lag and culling I was getting at Tequatl last night was almost as bad as Lost Shores part 1/2, and I was doing that at an off hour!

Syrlya | Sylvari Mesmer
Arabelle Jones | Human Engineer
Stormbluff Isle

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Lillith.5724

Lillith.5724

THIS!
My PC and vid card were upgraded before GW2 even launched! Also exceeding the minimum requirements to play the game. I’ve never had any trouble except for some small lag problems during EB castle. Now my FPS during dragon events goes to 1 o.O ???
Since this last patch the events are simply unplayable and I’m getting crashes constantly. I got to Tequatl last nite on an overflow with about 15-20 people and the lag was ridiculous not to mention the culling problem!
Anet, really you guys need to get a quick fix on this!

Lillith Flame – Norn Ranger
Guild Leader: Spank Reunited
Yak’s Bend Server

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: adagiophoto.4512

adagiophoto.4512

Last night the lag was so bad that my wife didn’t even get bronze for the Shadow Behemoth and no chest. The same happened to me a couple of days ago on the Claw of Jorlag. Very frustrating.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Turbo Chet.8527

Turbo Chet.8527

The lag is awful, i attack every 5 seconds. It’s like this for every major world boss event.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Yes this issue is known to everyone, and the events are simply unplayable.
I think it’s due to the so called “Dragon Hunters”, people guesting servers to complete events. This should not be possible, and IMO the rewards should be account bound, this would result in people not farming the events with 5 different characters.
I usually don’t want to hasten you guys, but this needs a fix fast. :/

Yeah, I agree. The lag resulting from this Dragon gold rush is terribad. The once a day rule should span all servers.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: EighteenRabbit.9186

EighteenRabbit.9186

I hear a lot of people blaming guesting but I haven’t seen any proof (and I haven’t tried it myself). I know a lot of my own guildmates used to just ignore dragons because there was little perceived reward for the level of effort but now it’s the opposite and I’ve seen several of them come to the dragons that never did before.

Whatever the cause, it does need to be addressed because the lag is pretty horrible.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Guesting is most certainly an issue…. Check your Map chat in between lag spikes and ability delays… you will start to see the and feel the aggressive undertones of players unhappy with seeing another event pass by in a FPS lagfest due to the hundreds more players zoning in on egg timers….. just yesterday there was a war of words on Underworld between players and guests that zoned in.. hilarious to witness but a sure fire indicator of the annoyance of loosing playability and the whiole enjoyment of what is meant to be a semi challenging aspect of the game.. the only challenge now is actually getting enough damaging skills to land inbetwen lagging so that you can at least get to see a chest after all the culling dissapates and the guests remove themselves from the scene and crawl back under their respective stones!

Just another reason I tend to dislike MMO’s that bring in X-Server mechanics.
What with the gated Guild Mission implementation pushing small guilds down and this pile of performance pesh, my time in Tyria is all but done… shame cos for a while it almost had me hooked

EDIT – Add to that .. the effect on the whole map now not just the event zone… its fast becoming a soup bowl of performance isses equalling that of SWTOR.. and that takes some real dedication to screw things up that badly imo.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: armaduras.8972

armaduras.8972

Guesting is the only issue, right now.

Feel the Flames of Balthazar; Bask in the ever-presence of his glory!
Gilded Grimoire[MAGI]. Casual Guild www.gw2magi.com

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

Its more than a fps hit on the events, as I was still getting my typical 14fps for the event.

Its a server lag where people stop moving around. In fact the Tequatl dragon I just fought now pretty much stood in one spot the entire fight. Even casting skills was almost impossible.

That is not fun. Unless they change it back, I doubt I will play this game much.

It seems to be how Arenanet does things when they make changes, its to the extreme. Like when they nerf things, its to the extreme.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

Its more than a fps hit on the events, as I was still getting my typical 14fps for the event.

Its a server lag where people stop moving around. In fact the Tequatl dragon I just fought now pretty much stood in one spot the entire fight. Even casting skills was almost impossible.

That is not fun. Unless they change it back, I doubt I will play this game much.

It seems to be how Arenanet does things when they make changes, its to the extreme. Like when they nerf things, its to the extreme.

Yeah, it seems like I’m still getting normal fps. That is, the attacks people are using that are going off are showing up on screen as fluid as ever, and my movement (unless feared) is unhindered. But attacking is like pulling teeth.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Yeah I feel like I’m in a reverse matrix time warp bubble flowing through super marios pipe.

The lag is bad.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Awful fix lowering the population cap. I have arrived before the window at 5 meta events today and been overflowed. GJ?

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

I preferred to do the fights with lag than to not do the fights at all.

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: oROEchimaru.1045

oROEchimaru.1045

I am new (less than 1 month). I fought my first dragon (teq?) today. What a bummer:(

1-5 fps the entire fight with intel quadcore cpu and 7850 radeon card. I turned all settings from medium to low = same fps. the recommended settings of high should not be recommended at all.

is this being addresses?
i have tried several new radeon drivers including beta with same results. even dumbed down settings same issues.

i cant recommend this game to friends who are use to this type of “event” without the lag in other games. i’d like to recommend it!

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I am new (less than 1 month). I fought my first dragon (teq?) today. What a bummer:(

1-5 fps the entire fight with intel quadcore cpu and 7850 radeon card. I turned all settings from medium to low = same fps. the recommended settings of high should not be recommended at all.

is this being addresses?
i have tried several new radeon drivers including beta with same results. even dumbed down settings same issues.

i cant recommend this game to friends who are use to this type of “event” without the lag in other games. i’d like to recommend it!

Unfortunatelly, this is the issue since day 1, but I really believe that some time in future it will go better – exactly like WvW. There were days when WvW battles were just lag fests with 14 FPS on solid systems. Now, they made better system for showing only enemy nameplates or showing only simple character models and it really worked! Now I have like 30-40 FPS in the largest battles instead of those poor 14. So I think that in time, they will do something similar with PvE, too.

What annoys me more is the fact that the large boss fights with the dragons or shadow behemoth or etc. cannot be failed. And there is no tactic involved. Yes, in early days of the Tequatl encounter, you had to destroy bone walls with the turrets, protect turrets from risen and protect and shoot mega laser on the dragon. Then, you had to kit large exploding humanoid mobs and evade poisonous AOEs —-—- now, with level 80 characters, nothing of this matters anymore. Just stand still in front of the dragon, ignore risen minions, ignore AOEs, ignore risen destroying the mega laser and just press button 1 and you get the chest.

Shatterer, Claw of Jormag, low level bosses work the same way. Dear ArenaNet developers, if you read this, please address these issues sooner than you make the new content, it would surely help to attract new players and the old ones who stopped playing because they expected this kind of PvE to be competing and enjoyable .

(edited by Mortifer.2946)

Dragons and Lag

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: DarkSider.1079

DarkSider.1079

I didn’t experience lag on claw of jormag like other people just did (sorrows furnace kill 15mins ago) but I did have the crystals spawning on me non stop in phase 2. I don’t recall that ever happening in the 30+ kills I’ve done on jormag prior to this past update.