New Grenth, intentional or bugged?

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Evolution.1758

Evolution.1758

I’d really like to hear an official word about the changes to the Grenth event. The entire floor covered in AOE’s all the time seems beyond cruel to me. I find it hard to believe it’s supposed to work this way.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

if you go by some people its to promote “creative problem solving” to get around them or lucky pre-made guild raids rather than zone pugs.

but yeah would love to know if covering the entire floor with the roof warps at the same time is intentional

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Definitely working as intended. /sarcasm

The floor filled with the stuff isn’t the problem, getting instant-killed by the time you get hit by one it is, check SS (that’s the damage of the only one warp I got hit that killed me)

Attachments:

in Dynamic Events

Dasorine.1964

well its lethal fall damage, its gonna kill you (and because you dont get moved away defeat you) regardless, which is annoying but not as annoying as the total inability to actually dodge them at all for the most part and having to rely on tricks and such to survive.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Ludwig.4138

Ludwig.4138

I’ve been watching this topic all day because one-shot mechanics really rub me the wrong way. I wouldn’t even care if it left me with 10 hp. That’s something that gives me just long enough to live or die by my own competence. I can’t get behind the circles that cover everything and come out in waves, saving some for after my dodges. I know some people like it, but not all of us have the ego to support the philosophy of “survive chaos and RNG with zero mistakes.”

Anyway, I always give Anet the benefit of the doubt and trust that they have the most fun interests at heart, and I think it’s a very good thing that we haven’t had a dev reply to this issue yet. They haven’t defended it, which makes me confident that they are working on changing it to be more fun. To me, it makes sense not to announce a change to this after one day because that will start arguments and such over how it should be. When it’s ready, it may go quietly in, or they may bring it out as welcome news. Telling us now would just make us impatient.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Evolution.1758

Evolution.1758

The Grenth event has been patched, it’s now far easier to complete while still being more challenging. Thread over!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Ludwig.4138

Ludwig.4138

I hate to ask for something to be easier, but in this case, I’m glad it happened. I am also very impressed at how well they listened and how quickly they changed it. I can’t wait to try the fight again. I hope it’s still as good to them as they had envisioned it, and that this is not too much of a compromise. Nonetheless, I will surely have more fun staying alive. Thank you ANet. Grenth temple has always been my favorite in Orr. I’m very excited about the new fight now.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: BlondeGuy.4038

BlondeGuy.4038

I’m dissapointed they made it easier, I for one enjoyed the challenge in a game that really lacks hard endgame content. I was hoping it was a sign that they were going to start making all the end game content at least slightly difficult.

in Dynamic Events

Dasorine.1964

there’s a time and a place for ridiculous difficulty, a public boss shouldn’t be that ridiculously hard that it takes cheating, luck or very specific builds of specific classes to beat.

It’s still much harder than before the patch but now the mechanics are actually doable for everyone (as in you can actually DODGE the death patches)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: BlondeGuy.4038

BlondeGuy.4038

there’s a time and a place for ridiculous difficulty, a public boss shouldn’t be that ridiculously hard that it takes cheating, luck or very specific builds of specific classes to beat.

It’s still much harder than before the patch but now the mechanics are actually doable for everyone (as in you can actually DODGE the death patches)

I did the fight – pre nerf – as a glass cannon warrior with a GS. I died to death patches three times, and got downed by shades 3-5 times. After the second death on the patches I figured out how to avoid them and the third one was just bad luck with dodge bar being out. So I wouldn’t say it was ridiculous difficult just comparatively ridiculous to what people expect a easy public DPS lolspamability1 run to be.

in Dynamic Events

Dasorine.1964

maybe I was just ridiculously unlucky then, 70% of the patches that got dropped when I was fighting pre-adjustment had no room for evasion unless you already happened to be luckily near the edge of where they went down or if you where standing somewhere well out of the way spamming long range attacks (even then it wasnt 100%)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

Hard to dodge red circles to avoid damage with high ping connection (yes Oceanic player…we can’t avoid high pings).

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: William Fairfield.1428

William Fairfield.1428

Game Designer

Next

The current implementation of the Grenth fight is at the intended difficulty.

We identified some bugs in the initial roll out and they were fixed. We also adjusted the size of the portals to allow for more play room. We intend this fight to be a difficult encounter in the open world for experienced players to feel challenged against.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Then you might consider rewarding better than blues and greens. Not just blues and greens with the odd rare and an infinitely small chance for an exotic and even smaller chance for a Precursor.

Ditto for the dragon encounters and other temple events.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Then you might consider rewarding better than blues and greens. Not just blues and greens with the odd rare and an infinitely small chance for an exotic and even smaller chance for a Precursor.

Bingo. I love difficult content; it’s what I live for in games like this. That said, difficult content with poor rewards is, well, pointless. Why do a difficult encounter for the same (or worse) rewards as a much easier encounter?

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Bingo. I love difficult content; it’s what I live for in games like this. That said, difficult content with poor rewards is, well, pointless. Why do a difficult encounter for the same (or worse) rewards as a much easier encounter?

Pretty much what they both said, is lovely and good to have a challenging boss or a dragon fight, then you open the chest and find 5 blues and 700 karma for over 30min (chains and stuff) don’t you think you should be tweaking rewards for open world as stated since release when you play out content like this?
My guild doesn’t even bother to go open world cause of it, and the DR system as well kicking in as quick as you are 20min in the area, makes it no fun, and not rewarding time wise.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Today I participated in that Event. People talked about how they had multiple tries and how hard it is. I asked what to do and someone was kind enough to explain the battle. It looked tough, many got downed and I expected the worst, but we did it…

man this was something I’d love to see much more in this game. Everybody knew that this could totally go wrong, but against the odds we were successful. Kudos Anet! This is how bosses should feel like.

…man I’m happy, was disappointed to see how scaling worked (2-hit enemies in low level areas, big meta-event bosses dead within a minute) but at least we have a challenge in one of the open world zones. I realise that Anet doesn’t want to challenge people in not-max.level zones. It’s sad but at least I know now where to find a challenge. I hope it’s fun for a while.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Agreed. Risk and Reward should be balanced. At the moment it is skewed.

Giving each participating player at least one rare, with the possibility of a exotic, will not crash your economy, but will make the gamers more happy due to the risk they took and reward they got.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Thorson.2953

Thorson.2953

Atm its not worth doing even with all the fixes risk vs reward the event ends just as fast as it starts npc now dies in 3 secs and event ends no matter the amount of players present.
I can get same loot just doing simple events why bother with these bosses at least you don’t have to repair your broken armor.
Actually i have had friends quit because of this they were getting bored doing mindless grinding trying to get better gear than exotic so they stopped playing.

Anet needs to look at risk vs reward i have done grenth quite a few times and get nothing but greens i do a simple DE chain half my level and get exotics.
Been grinding away in Cursed Shore for weeks with nothing to show for it Anet really needs to balance loot still.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: William Fairfield.1428

Previous

William Fairfield.1428

Game Designer

We are currently looking into the rewards for events like this. I will post more information on this as it becomes available. Risk vs Reward is most certainly something we are thinking about.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

In other words……that’s the last we’ll hear about it for 3-5 months. Keep your expectations low-none, that way you’re not that disappointed and if something happens…yay!

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Elquin.9016

Elquin.9016

Geesh… give the devs a chance. They’re working on tweaking things to get them right. It’s expected that not everything will work to everyone’s advantage and yes… it’s frustrating, but don’t go bashing the people that are working on making something enjoyable for the user. I don’t know about you guys, but I wouldn’t enjoy going to work and being told I do a crappy job and constantly getting treated like that. It would kind of dampen my spirits and I’d be more likely to care less about what I do… Try being a little optimistic and be thankful that updates are being made constantly.

Guild Leader – Stonewall Vanguard
GLBTA / PvX Community.
www.stonewallvanguard.com

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

yesterday for the first time ever I got all greens from Grenth chest. Before it was only green/blue/blue/blue. Not that it is somehting awesome. I usually get more valuable drops during Grenth pre-event lol. Same with dragon chests.
In all honesty ANet should reserve 1 reward slot from chests for random rare/exotic stuff, be it sigil, gear or orb even. That’s way people would feel bit better seeing yellow/orange stuff in rewards.

As far as the updates/fixes go I have little faith in ANet. They did great job with last patch and nerfed it quite quickly few hours after. Sure the drops might have been slightly too much but nerfing it to the same level as it was before is cruel. That’s not adjusting that’s reverting!

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

We are currently looking into the rewards for events like this. I will post more information on this as it becomes available. Risk vs Reward is most certainly something we are thinking about.

I think part of the problem here is that you guys seem to consider blue and green items as rewards when in truth they are vendor trash. I never even place those items to trading post. I just outright merch them.

Rare is the first quality I consider as a reward because it’s the first quality that gives ectos. If I’ve a difficult and/or time consuming event that continuously rewards me with greens and blues I’ll just stop doing them. I mean sure you will do the dragon events and temple events once or twice for the cool factor but after that the only pull to them are rewards.

Dragon events themselves are boring since you have to make an effort to actually die in them. Hell I’m pretty sure I can solo Tequatl and Shatterer because they are that easy. For example Shatterer can never actually reach you if you are in the “safe spot” except with the crystal “prison” which is extremely easy to dodge. Dragon fights are just time consuming. Especially the Claw fight. As an added bonus the reward is not worth the effort. The carrot is currently enough to lure you into a fight since there’s no solid data on how bad the chances actually are, but the fight itself is boring and ends into a dissapointment almost always.

I don’t actually recall ever getting any rare from any of the temple chests. Claw also seems to be the stingies of dragons. I have actually gotten only a few rares from all Claw event chests. Heck. I’ve gotten more rares from add mobs than the Claw chest. I’ve never gotten exotic from any of the event chests.

I’d like to add that the champion mobs in Orr events still often drop nothing. I fought various champs yesterday and aside from a stray exo that was a reward most likely from the fact I hadn’t been to Orr with that char in a long long time I didn’t get any drops from champs.

Anyhow. I’d personally would like to know the chances for getting a rare or exo from chest so I can sufficiently judge if they are worth the effort. I’m not even sure why the drop and DR information is hidden because it affects my gameplay enjoyment as I’ve no idea when I’m subject to DR so I don’t know when to stop playing.

(edited by Northlander.4619)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Thanks for the heads up William, the previous silence from Anet was deafening. The time invested in some of these events can be significant, especially Claw.

Can I also please suggest taking a look at champions/veterans in the open world, as these rarely drop more than a blue, and half the time don’t drop anything – another Risk vs Reward downturn.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

So doing something for the challenge alone isn’t something you do, it’s “pointless”. Your ‘love’ of difficult content is dependent on that content yielding phat lewt it seems.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

Could have fooled me considering how the rewards from fractals are handled. Do a higher fractal than your current level and it’s all the risk and none of the rewards.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I think part of the problem here is that you guys seem to consider blue and green items as rewards when in truth they are vendor trash. I never even place those items to trading post. I just outright merch them.

Bingo!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Mindmaster.4716

Mindmaster.4716

Well, I hope we find a way to defeat this new Grenth. I’ve got my eyes on that armor but since we keep dying in one hit. I’ve only got large repair bills so far :-)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

After the ton of nerfes came in to grenth I actually think you can do him solo. At least 2-3 players should be enough for this. But it’s a cool Boss right now.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

So doing something for the challenge alone isn’t something you do, it’s “pointless”. Your ‘love’ of difficult content is dependent on that content yielding phat lewt it seems.

Why have fun for no reward when I can have fun for more reward elsewhere? If you don’t have many hours per day to play, you not only want to play to enjoy yourself, but you also want to make effective use of your time. These events, currently, are not a good use of one’s time regardless of how fun it may be. Just like in real life, I love my job, but if my job didn’t pay me well enough, I’d find another job in the same field that I’d enjoy just as much (if not more) that simultaneously pays better.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Sherman.4631

Sherman.4631

Btw, the AoE stuff that puts you up in the air, is highly frustrating because you mostly die instantly and I find it really hard to dodge since it activates 1-2sec after appearing.

We’re out of chicken

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

This is my take on what I do with items based on particular rarity:

White – Salvage
Blue – Sell to Vendor
Green – Sell to Vendor, or, to TP if profit higher (but this rarely happens)
Yellow – Salvage for ectos, contenplate whether to sell in TP (if profit good)
Orange – Sell to TP or salvage for ectos (hardly keep any unless this will be part of my fial gear).

The risk vs. Reward is simple based on what I generally do with my items:

- Killing normal mobs (minimum white)
- Killing Veterans (minimum green)
- Killing Champions (minimum yellow)

Killing vet/champ from DEs should also yield better RNG towards yellow/orange than in general case. Furthermore the RNG should be scaled base don the mobs level – higher level better RNG towards yellow/orange tier items.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: applerokka.2067

applerokka.2067

I see a correlation to the MKT – we all (okay, SOME of us) loved the Mad King’s Tower just because it was so darn ridiculous! But that’s just it – some of us were just insane and did it simply for the ridiculousness of the tower. Also, I guess it was just too much fun to run like mad people with a small group that kept growing thicker and thicker together in the attempts. It was all insanely fun and just rewarding to get to the top. Maybe ANet was trying here to recreate that love for impossibly difficult content here…
No, I don’t think any of us insane masochists ran the tower JUST for the loot, but the fun insanity of that tower doesn’t translate at ALL in this instance. And even after all of that, at least you got some relatively good (at least exotic) loot after dying five thousand times.
Why no orange?

(edited by applerokka.2067)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Minibiskit.6158

Minibiskit.6158

I’m wondering about this fight with so many shades one-shotting people. Shades use their vampiric touch for ~1.7k damage on my engi (with 18k health), and I go down in 2 hits. Something is not registering in the combat log for shades, or their vampiric touch is doing way more than 1.7k damage.

Gravity drop damage is quite alright, but dying in midair is still not fun. There is no point to having a downed state if the boss is going to kill you with drop damage and send you right into the defeated state. With over 3 deaths per fight, hardly any mob loot, and only greens from the chest, this encounter is looking more and more pointless.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

the shades does a unclearble debuff increasing there damage and at some point they will one shot you tho i think you will be dead before that point tho

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I like that they intend to have challenging open world content, its one of the main reasons for playing PVE in this game imo. I can do dungeons in various other games, the outdoors being interesting and worthwhile is what sets GW2 apart in PVE.

That said I am in favor of a better reward structure. Not sure if guaranteed rares are the way to go, but guaranteed masterwork items with a good chance at rare/exotic, plus more coin/karma for the DEs that require more time/coordination/effort is needed.

Personally I am also in favor of making the big DEs more uncommon. This might rub people the wrong way but I feel dragons every 3 hours takes away from their awesomeness. Having them on a say 9-13 hour timer allows for a dragon per day, so even if some of them are on a timer that doesnt fit your schedule you can get the other one.

When they announced Orr back before beta it really sounded more grand then it turns out to be, and I hope they take another shot at difficult, interconnected DEs with a specific end goal event thats truly massive and requires teamwork and coordination. Something guilds do together.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Winter.7580

Winter.7580

I honestly dont give a care what you do to the event or any of the like because I love this game, gets boring sometimes, but any MMO does. BUT. my big big but and this actually makes me angry. WHY remove the drops from the summoned elementals? Seriously!?!?!? I think its one of the only reason’s why i would bother going ALL the way down that far is for the claw drops and the occasional currupted lodestone. BRING BACK THE ELEMENTAL DROPS!!!

Live every day like it’s your last.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Attempted this 4 times tonight, failed 4 times. Each time the event failed because the boss got pulled too close to the NPC and killed him. High difficulty should not be having to pay for the mistakes of people who just entered the event because it’s a public one, not knowing they weren’t supposed to pull the boss in that direction.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

I don’t understand why those AoEs were added in the first place.

That used to be one of my favorite temple bosses because his mechanics were actually FUN.

FUN.

Two groups, one on shades and one on boss and the dynamic of those groups switching roles when the debuff became too much to bear and all the while making sure Jonez is protected…..that was FUN. It required skill and coordination and I loved the Corruption mechanic with the shades.

But how in the heck are you supposed to coordinate anything when you people decide to throw in an element of complete and utter chaos in the form of gratuitous amounts of AoEs? Wtf?

It completely and utterly ruined the encounter for me and not even because it’s harder than it’s worth, but because it’s clear you guys felt that the Priest himself didn’t do enough and instead of giving him another third, interesting mechanic, you decide to go the completely uninspired route and fill the room with AoEs. Nice. Real nice.

The risk USED to be worth the reward with this fight but now it’s not. not at all.

I understand the idea that Orr is all about players coordinating together and taking back parts of the peninsula, but Arenanet needs to understand that won’t happen with randoms. And because the rewards aren’t worth the effort (especially freakin now), you can bet no guilds are gonna go out of their way to do their server a favor. At least not often enough to matter.

(edited by Oreoz.2573)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Tried this again, 10-15% HP left on the boss and at that point he ambles over towards Jonez. Success for this event seems completely arbitrary.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: crawlerxp.1536

crawlerxp.1536

The only problem with this event is the reward, but that’s the same for essentially every temple, excluding Balthazar if you need it for shards. I’ve done this with five people. Line of sight the priest to the back of the chamber where he won’t hurt Deadrun and where the ceiling is partially lower. Three people with high DPS get the shadow debuff and burn the shades so they don’t pile up. Burn them fast enough and there’s time for their stacking debuff to wear off before any more respawn. The other two stay on the priest. Since the nerf, avoiding the AoE circles when you’re not scrambling to get away from shades isn’t nearly as difficult as it was. The trouble with this is when there’s a group of 10+ people ignoring the shades convinced they can burn the priest down before it’s an issue, then they get him below 10% and fail to the army of shades mowing them down. The shades pile up, people start running, eventually one of them gets onto Deadrun, and it’s over. The only way I’ve ever seen a group who refused to designate shade killers win is through graveyard zerging or just rushing it with 30 people, which is devoid of strategy anyway.

As a side-note: I’ve given up trying to do this event when there are more than five people and less than twenty. Too disorganized, too many shades, too much scrambling, and inevitable failure at 8% boss health. Huge waste of time.

(edited by crawlerxp.1536)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

The trouble with this is when there’s a group of 10+ people ignoring the shades…

Over the past 3 days i’v tried Grenth some 20 times with different groups, all failed. Sure many times it fails because to many people ignore the shades.
But a couple of times we did deal with the shades properly, only to find that almost everyone who had stayed on Grenth had died, presumably due to AoE. The group can recover from that once or twice, but Grenth just keeps covering the floor with that drop-you-from-the-ceiling AoE. Two dodges is usually not enough to escape.

Apparently Grenth is to hard for the vast majority of people running around in Orr, many of whom are by now GW2 veterans. The difficulty may be intentional, but i’m not so sure it’s smart to make it that hard. People who want hardcore already have dungeons.

As a side-note: I’ve given up trying to do this event when there are more than five people and less than twenty.

You imply you have completed Grenth with less than 5 people? Video or it did not happen.

in Dynamic Events

crawlerxp.1536

I’m saying I’ve done it with five and six and would try it with three or four. Without the shades in the room, I’ve fought him alone for upwards of three or five minutes while people tried to run back. I get the impression that people in this game are stuck on the idea that more players on an event by default makes it easier, which in my experience has almost always (barring the Maw maybe, which I’ve never been there to do with less than twenty something people) been wrong. Many group events I’ve been able to do alone or with one or two people, but as soon as random folks start flooding it and the difficulty scale slides up, it fails. The temple bosses are group events. In this game, a group consists of five people. Destiny’s Edge nearly killed a dragon with what, six? If it can’t be done with that, something isn’t working properly.

As for the circles on the ground, I don’t know what else to say. Prior to the nerf after the patch, it was ludicrously hard; the circles overlapped and linked three, four, five in a row. I’ve done it more than a few times since then, and I haven’t seen it nearly that bad. I guess I can’t be sure how much of that is like or what have you, but statistically, if it’s as bad as people are saying, I should’ve encountered something to give me that indication by now. Every time I see people calling out, “Need more for Grenth!” in chat, I basically ignore it at this point; more does not mean better. It means higher chance of people not carrying their weight, until you reach stupidly high numbers of players, at which point the mob wins out if it graveyard zergs long enough.

I do run full toughness gear, so I’m not sure how much that helps me in this regard, but I haven’t seen anything close to actual damage from the priest himself. He does the ice shard AoE thing; one dodge or step three feet to the left or right. He does the other AoE everyone hates, which is more difficult to dodge, certainly, but not difficult enough as to be called broken (anymore). I tried it twice before the nerf and agreed with everyone it was broken, since (much) more often than not, none of us could avoid the circles through two dodge rolls. Now, barring the occasional statistical outlier, the only reason we get hit is because we’re so focused on avoiding some pack of shades that’s going to one-shot us.

Also: Please don’t call me out for a video on something that A) never happened, B) I never said happened, and C) you imagined happened out of some defensive reflex.

I’m really not trying to be argumentative. I just don’t see this fight as broken anymore. It is very difficult, especially compared to other overworld events where you can throw damage and/or players at it at much lower ratios and expect to win. The guys upstairs already said they wanted it to be a challenge for experienced players, and I believe that’s what it is at this point. That’s all. To prove I’m not trying to sound mean or conceited or something stupid, here’s a smiley face: ^_^

in Dynamic Events

Dasorine.1964

unfortunately it still failable if a single new person that doesn’t know what there doing pops in and drags the priest to the wrong area.

As I said in another thread about this, its all well and good making tough encounters but you need to design em for the situation they will be fought in, this temple event is an open zone event that attracts and is open to anyone in the zone at the time, thus it will generally attract lots of people. Thus saying that its easier with less people and thus balanced completely neglects the whole situation of where it is, it would be like them dropping a level 80 boss in the low level start area’s and claiming its balanced because a team of level 80’s could kill him.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: shockwave.1764

shockwave.1764

We identified some bugs in the initial roll out and they were fixed. We also adjusted the size of the portals to allow for more play room. We intend this fight to be a difficult encounter in the open world for experienced players to feel challenged against.

I love the difficulty of grenth and I wish there was more content like this. Failing grenth 8+ times and spending hours with people trying to overcome it is a great mmo experience, except why would anyone want to do this for blues and greens? Sure it’s still fun but the reward that we’re working for is what drives most people including me

Shóckwávé 80 Elementalist, Shawk 80 Guardian,
Aolbjorn 80 Engineer | Rank 29
Staunch Evon Supporter

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

MMO’s aren’t about crushing challenge and this fight is no longer tuned appropriately as a difficult challenge. I say this as someone who has done heroics in another popular MMO for years. There needs to be challenge and interesting, avoidable mechanics. Pervasive AoE that kills everyone is not a challenge, it’s a lazy developer’s attempt at challenge. It’s rare today to find experienced designers who have a gut-level understanding of basic design issues.

On a side note I was excited to watch an ESO in-dev vid and see all the ‘old’ developers. With that kind of gaming experience behind it it should be a great new title.

(edited by Raine.1394)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

unfortunately it still failable if a single new person that doesn’t know what there doing pops in and drags the priest to the wrong area.

As I said in another thread about this, its all well and good making tough encounters but you need to design em for the situation they will be fought in, this temple event is an open zone event that attracts and is open to anyone in the zone at the time, thus it will generally attract lots of people. Thus saying that its easier with less people and thus balanced completely neglects the whole situation of where it is, it would be like them dropping a level 80 boss in the low level start area’s and claiming its balanced because a team of level 80’s could kill him.

Yes. It’s certainly not appropriate in its setting. But, beyond that it’s a poorly designed encounter. Basically cheap mechanics to simulate challenge. It’s what you get when a dev team is just out of college and hasn’t even been playing that long relatively. I appreciate legitimate challenges. I love interesting boss mechanics. It’s a lazy man’s route to simply put down essentially unavoidable AoE. It’s what you do to create ‘challenge’ when you run out of creativity.

in Dynamic Events

crawlerxp.1536

I missed the part where it’s unavoidable. The circles don’t overlap enough so as to cause major problems anymore, and they appear and trigger in a chain instead of all at once, allowing you to dodge one, then move back to that space a few seconds later to dodge another if you have to. Also, I don’t really see the point in calling the people in charge of making and fixing the game lazy. It’s akin to insulting your team members; all it does is decrease morale. Unless you’ve been inside the room with the people in charge here, assume they’re doing the best they can. That or, you know, do it yourself* and stop tearing down the people who are. Let’s do try to keep things civil and not resort to insults or name-calling, shall we?

I’ve seen fake difficulty (Diablo III at launch, fair example), and this isn’t it.

*www.kickstarter.com

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Minibiskit.6158

Minibiskit.6158

Make one change and this fight will be one of the most fun in the game: fatal fall damage sends you into the downed state, not defeated. Even if this only takes effect in the temple of grenth, this change would make this fight worth farming again.