The superficial nature of Dynamic events

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Lately i feel the game is getting stale. I really love the game, I probably couldnt go to another MMO because of it. Its not secret that Guild Wars 2 really struggles with endgame, but it is also apparent that anet is trying to do something about it. But I think one of their biggest mistakes, that they must fix, is removing quests. Ill tell you my perspective on it. I really am someone who enjoys lore. I wanna learn more about each zone, and the history of it. I wanna know its significance. Right now, I can grasp no significance, or very little in each zone. As much as I search and talk to npcs, it is still very apparent that without traditional quests, there is a struggle to immerse the player in the lore and history of each zone. Anet apparently thought Dynamic events could replace that, however they were wrong. Dynamic events are great for spontaneous interaction with the world. Its exciting to go into a zone and see a dragon appear from nowhere, or defend a location from a swarm of enemies. Thats one thing that brought me into this game. However that only satisfies the living, breathing aspect of the game that continually is active. I say its superficial because of how short-lived it is. It looks and feels very fun for a few moments, but its dry very quickly.
I just think bringing in quests, or some type of more involved mechanisms to each zone would be good. Only with the purpose of doing justice to the lore, because right now I dont feel dynamic events do that at all. I know that guild wars has lore, and plenty of it, but I have to search practically everywhere outside the game of guild wars 2 to really get a grasp of it. I wanna learn about the past, not so much the present. The living story is great as well, im sure they can take it to new places, but that still wont do justice to the history of the past in guild wars.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Just a quick question:

Do you talk to scouts?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Just a quick question:

Do you talk to scouts?

Of course lol. But do you see the point im getting at? Compared to gw1, this game is very void of lore, or at least the way it expresses it.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

I get your point completely and this was an issue I brought up a while back. Compared to GW1, or any game really, you enter a zone not knowing wth is going on just random events with rarely any back story.

At this point it’s too late to change the lack of quests in current content but they could better it in the future. personally I think there should have been quests AND events. I mean, quests are incredibly easy to design in comparison. They could have been hearts with a lot more back story on what you are doing there and why, also would have made hearts 10x less boring since they are all the typical gather this, kill that, etc. anyways.

GW1 was incredibly rich, you knew exactly what was going on the entirety of each campaign and the story was great… can’t say the same for GW2.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Just a quick question:

Do you talk to scouts?

Of course lol. But do you see the point im getting at? Compared to gw1, this game is very void of lore, or at least the way it expresses it.

Ah, just asking. I’ve seen a few people in the past saying there’s no context to zones, and they haven’t spoken to Scouts, since they do provide some insight.

That out of the way, I somewhat agree.

While some events make sense in the context of the area (i.e. Human areas and events against Centaurs and Bandits and such), as well as Hearts, some just don’t. I mean, what’s that troll doing in Queensdale?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

A few more (permanently present) interactive objects would go a long way towards enriching lore. Signposts, tattered journals geocached in rock-piles, inscriptions on walls… Just geneally more ways of checking out the world other than swinging a sword at it.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Perhaps this thread title should be about the superficial nature of moderator reading considering the place they moved the thread to .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Just a quick question:

Do you talk to scouts?

Ah, just asking. I’ve seen a few people in the past saying there’s no context to zones, and they haven’t spoken to Scouts, since they do provide some insight.

Also, go back and talk to Scouts once you’ve completed the Hearts they point out. Their dialogue changes.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: haineslake.8691

haineslake.8691

I really like how dynamic events turned out and think that they absolutely should stay the dominant form of quests in the game. However I agree that they are not quite able to support the immersion in the same way traditional quests are capable of, at least in terms of storytelling. One of the things I really enjoyed about GW1 was the lore and how it was presented. When I started playing GW2 however I felt that something was missing, despite it being designed with loving attention to detail. I would love to see the history of the world of Kryta being implemented in a more visible and/or prominent way, especially for those who haven’t played the predecessor. I don’t know if adding traditional quests is the answer though. In my opinion some good points were made in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcykr_Gw0Go

Whiteside Fridge

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Oh, THAT sort of scout. Now I get it.