A Possible Fix for the Storyline Achievement

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Medron Pryde.6850

Medron Pryde.6850

I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about not being able to finish the story. I’m one of them, so I’m not entirely unbiased.

But there are a number of reasons.
1) The Dungeon – many people couldn’t complete it. (me)
2) Lost and Found – it was bugged and for many people it was impossible to find everything.
3) Secret Contact – it was bugged and for many people it was impossible to find everything.

The issue is, that if you don’t do a SINGLE one of the achievement lines, you miss out on doing the entire event. In effect, you don’t get credit for it at all, except for what credit you get from doing each line itself. But the overall storyline event doesn’t show you as having done it.

Now, one of the nice things about Halloween, was that there were a lot of achievement lines, and if you did a certain number of them, you got credit for doing Halloween. You got the title and stuff and it was cool. I still display that title on some of my characters.

Now if ArenaNet were to patch their code to allow people who had finished a certain number of the achievement lines to get credit for having done the event, I think that would make a lot of players happy. If they did that, we could see the end of the story, with the people we’d done it with all the way through.

If you didn’t do the dungeon, you wouldn’t get the cool dungeon loot. Oh well.
If you didn’t get one or two of the other achievements done, you don’t get the rewards for that either. Oh well.

But for people who did play and did work to fill out most of the achievements, having us be able to see the end of the story, and converse with the other characters as having done the story (because we did) would be nice.

I’d like to see Rox and Braham’s cutscene for instance. As it is right now, for anybody who missed any one of the achievements because of bugs or other issues, they can’t see that. It’s like the story just gets cut off, with no option to finish it.

Patching it so that having most of the achievements being completed would trigger the event title and story credit would keep to the same idea that Halloween had, while also still holding it to the people who did work for it.

What do you guys think?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Medron Pryde.6850

Medron Pryde.6850

In really short, allow us to get the “Avenger of the Dispossessed” title, finish that achievement, and see the story we’ve worked to see if we have done most of the other achievements.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

The Lost and found and Secret Contact have been extended for 2 days to 14th instead only 12th to make up for bugs. The dungeon was announced to last that long even before it went online. All deadlines were known. For the dungeon, you even had the timeline running the whole time in the UI to remind you to finish it. And it was doable the whole time. Dungeonwise it was even pretty easy because it included a verry well thoughtout learning curve to teach you the mechanics bit by bit. I’d rather see parts of the dungeon recycled into a fractal because it was designed so well.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem is where to put the cut-off point?

There are people who have only done 1 achievement, or parts of 2 or 3 but haven’t completed any of them. Should they be given credit as if they finished the full thing?

You’d probably say no, but then what about people who have done 2 achievements and nearly got a 3rd one?

If Anet gives in and says everyone who has done (for example) everything but Lost and Found and the Dungeon can have credit for the full event the forum will be full of people who did those but missed another achievement, or are still one short, demanding that they should get it too.

Unless they go right down to “if you owned the game during the period of the event you get full credit regardless of whether you actually did it or not” someone will still be unhappy. And then we’ll probably get people who bought the game just after wanting to know why they have to miss out on something everyone else has.

I’m not saying it’s fair as it is now. But I think it’s a lot fairer to stick with the system they established from the start and to move the goal posts after the fact so some people get lucky and others miss out twice.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

Very well said.
Maybe the timing could have been tinkered with. The first two months saw achievements that were done in half an hour. The last installment was packed with exciting content and lastet only shortly. But it was very accessable, especially considering the Karka desaster.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

In really short, allow us to get the “Avenger of the Dispossessed” title, finish that achievement, and see the story we’ve worked to see if we have done most of the other achievements.

I returned 4 posessions out of 6 and i Still get “Avenger of the Dispossessed”.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

+1 Arena Net, please complete the achievements for those who have over a certain percent just like you did on Halloween! I have done 99% and I consider my implication was worth to receive a completion.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Travis.9045

Travis.9045

It wasn’t about deadlines. Mainly I see the problem as two things.

#1. How glitchy the quests were. I tried on three separate occasions to complete lost and found. Only one of those times did I find ANY items, and of the items found many were duplicates.

#2. You had to complete everything. Frankly I don’t see why this is not like the daily achievements were we have options. That way if a single event messes up or is glitchy then no one really suffers.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

On that note I’d also like to get the ‘Closer to the stars’ title without completing the prerequisites, if you could patch that at the same time?

I returned 4 posessions out of 6 and i Still get “Avenger of the Dispossessed”.

That title is for the Rox and Braham story lines, i.e. the Cragstead and Hatchery story instance, the molten facility and the dialogue instances that happened in between. It’s unrelated to the bugs which are a pretend reason to get the title without the dungeon completion.

(edited by Mastruq.2463)