Frost And Flame Part 3 Comments

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

After finishing up Rox and Brahms stories I figured I’d make a thread for people to post their compliments/questions/critiques/concerns.

On the plus side Rox’s story was alot better than I thought. Since you barely have to look at her the whole anime eyes thing never really bothered me. The baby devourer is pretty cute though. As a ranger she was also actually useful in combat. I could sit back and she’d be able to tank things for quite a while. Voice wise it was a bit atypical but not grating, the more I heard it the more it grew on me.

Brahms story was complete kitten, especially his character and “background”. I assume the same person wrote both and phoned it in for this part. Mechanically he’s a guardian with a mace and shield. His symbols are worse than untraited ones and his shield 5 is also less than useful. His voice was equally abysmal, enough that I considered turning off the sound.

I honestly thought this would be the other way around since I normally love Norn and dislike the Charr but there it is.

Both missions played out exactly the same. Kill things, walk over here, kill some more things, kill a gold ringer.

The reward was also lacking. Fortunately this means I won’t have to repeat it for a measly 2k karma and 2 bags of coins once a day.

All in all I’m filing this part of the Living Story with the rest; under K for kitten.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: oruma.4092

oruma.4092

yep i rather pay for an expansion then anymore of this free “wannabe” addons

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Chamber.3690

Chamber.3690

I thought it was awesome! Maybe you didn’t do it with friends or something making it more boring, but I LOVED it! It was so epic the entire thing. I loved the voiceacting for the norn guy _

Is there a way to make this show a picture?

in Flame and Frost

Brutal Arts.6307

I thought it was awesome! Maybe you didn’t do it with friends or something making it more boring, but I LOVED it! It was so epic the entire thing. I loved the voiceacting for the norn guy _

Maybe you could contribute meaningfully by stating exactly what you liked and disliked specifically. Just gushing about how “epic” it is, is just as bad as someone bashing about how “kitten” it is.

For the record, and slightly off topic, anything is fun when done with friends by the simple pleasure of their company. I think content should stand and be fun on it’s own merits.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Chamber.3690

Chamber.3690

twos are so harLd

Is there a way to make this show a picture?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

doesn’t sound like the reward was worth the effort.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Haven’t played Brahm’s part yet but I started it. It brought up a question about his origin though…just a simple one really.

Why is Rytlock so positive that Brahm isn’t Eir’s son? At first I was like “Oh, your last name is Eirsson…I could see how Rytlock made that mistake” but then he starts clarifying and I’m like “Hmmm….well how are you so sure, Ryt?”. That he’s known Eir for years doesn’t quite cut it since Norn can live pretty long lives…

For Rox’s part, I was kind of clenching as I entered the instance as I was expecting her to sound like a girl…but her voice and mannerisms thus far are just typical female charr…although I sort of kick myself for forgetting to talk to Rytlock after their scene.

Can anyone clue me in on what he says?

in Flame and Frost

Brutal Arts.6307

doesn’t sound like the reward was worth the effort.

For Brahms You get 2k Karma Item and 2 bags of coins, than a one time bonus of another 2k karma bonus and the new cash shop bonfire item.

For Rox you get the same 2 bags of coins and 2k karma, than a one time bonus of a 12 slot bag and another 2k karma item.

Considering the difficulty (none) it’s what some people would call fair. I found it discouraging.

Haven’t played Brahm’s part yet but I started it. It brought up a question about his origin though…just a simple one really.

Why is Rytlock so positive that Brahm isn’t Eir’s son? At first I was like “Oh, your last name is Eirsson…I could see how Rytlock made that mistake” but then he starts clarifying and I’m like “Hmmm….well how are you so sure, Ryt?”. That he’s known Eir for years doesn’t quite cut it since Norn can live pretty long lives…

If I had to hazard a guess they’re trying to piggy back this new character on to an established characters popularity. Seeing as they have creative freedom with the IP, the writers can change whatever they please regardless of what was written in the books. Rytlocks ignorance probably stems from the fact that he hasn’t received an updated script.

(edited by Brutal Arts.6307)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I thought this new story addition was mildly enjoyable though fairly unbelieveable. I like Rox better than Braham. The instances involve lots of repetitive killing, a totally unbelieveable norn story arc, and the rewards were lacking, as well. The last thing I could ever get excited about receiving would be karma, a small amount of silver, and another 12-slot bag. A 20-slot bag would have been more useful.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

So far all I’ve really heard about this on every forum I visit can be summed up pretty easy.

I liked Rox but only because the Brahm story was so bad I had to settle on something or pretty much paint the entire story as bad. Which I like the game so I didn’t really want to do that so I settled but still jabbed on Rox because it was still bad in its own right.

Wish they’d hire real writers and take more time. That or wait to create actual expansion packs because I’d rather way for good things then get stuff of B movie level.

Kinda knew the Rox one was going to be horrid without even being told the writing was on the wall from her looks to back story. It is a real shame the Braham story ended up being worse as Norn look like they’d be really easy to write for with all the spirits, ale, and hunting.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

I assume this thread is just for the story aspect. So far it’s okay. Nothing really spectacular. Both characters are forgettable and the story is too. I don’t care about rewards, I’m happy with just playing my character and seeing all the new stuff.

I like the update though. Seeing new areas appear and the game develop is exciting. I just hope those new areas stay after F&F is over.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

in Flame and Frost

KorKor.9452

Leo continues to prove my point everywhere he goes in these sections about being nothing more then a bad troll who has nothing relevant to add to any of the topics and at this point is going into stalker troll territory. Enjoy all the reports from this point on Leo.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

The reward was also lacking.

12 slot bag was pretty disappointing. I don’t know anyone who needs a 12 slot bag.

in Flame and Frost

KorKor.9452

The reward was also lacking.

12 slot bag was pretty disappointing. I don’t know anyone who needs a 12 slot bag.

New players! Ba dum tssss~

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

My feedback is as follows: both Rox’s and Braham’s missions would have benefited from oh, say 15 fewer waves (disclaimer: this is hyperbole used to illustrate a point; I didn’t actually count the waves) of bad guys each. I did Rox’s mission first. And I like Rox. The big eyes don’t bother me. But by the third wave of bad guys in the hatchery my eyes were glazing over. When I undertook Braham’s mission I knew what to expect, and my expectations were met. With wave after wave of fulfilled expectation. I was literally nodding off at that point. At least until all the knockback started…

What was the point of dragging these battles out? It went from being, oh okay, this is kind of interesting to ah, kitten, when is this going to end. And let me stress – it wasn’t difficult. It was tedious.

Maybe next time a little less sizzle and a little more steak?

The table is a fable.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I found the new story lines interesting and a nice way to add to the world. Specifically, I like the direction the stories are going and the future potential for conflict on a wide scale. I am interested to see where they take this next.

Taken as a whole, these missions add a new aspect to the game – and give us something to do solo that is more than just explore, farm or grind out dynamic events. With a little polish, as the stories flesh out, the “recap” feature offered will let players – eventually – play out longer single player (or alongside friends) campaigns. They may not be the most difficult content in the game – or even the most rewarding (from a shinies pov) – but it is something new to do that many of us will find fun.

If I were to offer a criticism, it would be with the confusing nature of the interface. It can still be a little hard to discern where you need to go – even though they have made significant improvements to that since, say, the halloween events.

I look forward to where expanding something like this – alongside pvp, dungeons, fractals, guild missions, etc – takes the game in the future.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

For Rox’s part, I was kind of clenching as I entered the instance as I was expecting her to sound like a girl…but her voice and mannerisms thus far are just typical female charr…although I sort of kick myself for forgetting to talk to Rytlock after their scene.

Can anyone clue me in on what he says?

I think Rytlock’s reaction to Brahm is similar to the fans. ‘We know so much about her and he was never mentioned’. Maybe Rytlock just never asked if she had a family.

As for Rytlock’s conversation after Rox, it was the standard “You are going to tag along with her to ensure she doesn’t die right?” dialogue. Nothing too different than the mail you get from him.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Oda.2348

Oda.2348

The story and cut scenes for both quest chains were great. However, as stated above the actual mechanics of each chain were virtually identical which was unfortunate. Also, if Living Story is going to hold anyone’s interest they better step it up a notch from 1 hour worth of content each month — even at this level of quality, i would expect new additions every 1-2 weeks.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nornaea.6925

Nornaea.6925

I thought it was awesome.

True, the instances could use a bit more variety, BUT…
- Your allies are useful (I have seen some personal story content where this does not seem to be the case)
- There were interesting details about the characters that really make me eager to find out more about them (I even went back to Rytlock and Whitebear to see if there was more that I should know about … come to think of it, I need to talk to Eir)
- I loved the snowstorm. And the funny stuff with Rox’ Devourer! Aaand the cutscenes!
- Not all loot and rewards need to be epic. I play out of curiosity, and because I want to be entertained. Not because I want rewards for everything I do. The rewards were a nice surprise to me.

And in the end… I saved a Norn and a Charr from certain death, after their leaders let them down. Badly. THAT is now forever a part of my personal story… (and Anet even made it so that I can replay it on my other characters if I choose so – yay!).

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

I think that a nice new feature would be living story dungeons.

A dungeon that takes place like this:

Wayfarer foothills under siege by the molten allience
Fight you’re way through the waves of molten enemies closing geisers on the way ect saving refugee’s until you reach Brahams Village , save the villagers with bosses along the way and a final boss in the village.

Same for Rox’s instance , it could also be a mini dungeon… same concept with different elements.

(something i thought of on a whim)

Edit: or even a fractal instance?

the content was good. I also liked the little facts with the devourer , eir having a son ect but it was a bit short.

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I think that he has known Eir for years makes perfect sense. They were close members of the same team. Imagine there is someone you have known for a very long time (and sure, let’s say they are much older than you). After years and years of knowing each other, a random guy comes up and tells you that he is your friends son. You would likely question it. Not because you would have witnessed the birth or anything, but because it would have come up at some point.

That said, the delivery seemed a little off. I also questioned it at first. After thinking more on it, I came to the above conclusion.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Enjoyed the new Rox and Braham stories. They were a good step in the right direction.
Braham story had a few weird moments with both Rytlock and the Norn boss being a bit lame with their excuses. And the point of Braham not being Eir’s son should be raised again with Rytlock. I was trying to tell him that Braham was Eir’s son, but there was no option in the conversation for that. Maybe it can be added after you see Eir and Braham talk in the Norn city? Char war council was a nice touch.

So to sum it up.
Great chapter. A few problems need to be fixed.
Looking forward to more.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

I assume they’re going to be shipping Rox and Rytlock.

Two years from now one of our missions will involve kitten-sitting their cub.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I enjoyed it. The F&F had a slow build up, but while Part 3 was short, it was pretty kitten sweet, I thought.

I’m happy so far.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Im not incline to give too much feedback until Im sure there is nothing else happening this month. Arenanet has stated that things will change as the weeks progress so there may be more left before the next patch.

As for current feedback.

Pros

- I like the characters. I find they both have potential. Its clear having read through all the dialog that their connections to the story and their plot have been carefully thought out. It also is giving us a chance to learn more about established characters which I like. I found my self curious and wanting to know more about the history and relationship between Eir and her son and wondering what actually happened to Rox’s old warband.

- I like that thought has been put into what important members of the involved powers are up to. It was interesting getting an inside view on the Charr command dealing with the problem and the issues they were struggling with. It also explained why the charr army hasnt mobilised out onto Diessa in force in a way that made sense.

- I like that my rank from my personal story mattered. Being recognised as the Commander of the Pact and being treated as a high ranking official was really cool. It makes it feel like my character holds respect in the world.

- The Dead Drops were easy and quick but I liked the little hints you could draw from them.

- I enjoy how we have having the plot diverge into seperate directions with the Southsun refugee thing on one side and the battle against the Molten Alliance on the other.

- I dig the new enemies.

- Theres alot of great seeding of hints throughout the content that suggest more. This builds a sense of mystery into what is going on and Ive spent a fair amount of time speculating with freinds about it.

- Cutscenes were a good medium for establishing settings.

Cons

- I think the missions were rather too repedative mechanics wise. In both cases it was wipe out a bunch of guys, talk to a guy then take and defend a spot. It would have been nice if things were mixed up a bit.

- A few details might have helped with the story. For example, I was suprised how many people I talked to who didnt realise how young Braham actually was. Having NPCs around during the missions that could explain things helped though Eir walked out too quickly in her scene.

- I didnt mind the rewards but I understand why some people were disappointed. Not sure of a good solution for you there.

Over all, I think its a positive step. I’ll be curious to see if we get anything more before the next patch. One mission each and the Dead Drops for one month seems very slow pacing for a game you can play every day. Ill hold my judgement though until I see how it plays out.