Periscopes not leaving lootable wreckage?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Most of the time that I kill a periscope it leaves no wreckage to loot for the audio recordings.

Is this as intended?

Wiki states they will leave a recording for all players in the area, but that is it. Nothing about a random chance of wreckage.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Wombatt.2546

Wombatt.2546

Same for me. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten wreckage off a periscope I killed, only when I happen across one.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: FlyingK.9720

FlyingK.9720

same, started farming for the monthly and am not getting very many to drop anything. At the current rate that I’m actually getting wreckage, I don’t think it’ll be possible for me to do this achievement.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Tanek.5983

Tanek.5983

Are you “farming” the same ones over and over? From what I have read, you can only loot a periscope once a day, so you either have to keep finding new ones (I have seen that there is a total of 50?) or wait for it to reset for you.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

It appears then, the “once a day” is account based as well.
Why?

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Tanek.5983

Tanek.5983

It appears then, the “once a day” is account based as well.
Why?

If that is the case, I’d guess it is because people have proven they will take the opportunity to exploit the event by creating multiple new characters to farm the karma 24/7. I do not understand that kind of behavior myself (it would be incredibly boring to me and would probably sour me on playing at all ), but I have seen it enough to know it happens.

Even so, let’s assume there are those 50 spots and you want to get them all. You get 50 logs a day on your account (the achievement is account-wide as well) and could theoretically be done in 3 days. Plenty of time to finish it given a whole month.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Wombatt.2546

Wombatt.2546

That could be a part of it, but it’s not all of it. Today I killed one in Ashford, for the first time ever (I never go to Ashford, but now I’m exploring it to level my engie etc). Another player also helped kill the turret, and I didn’t get a searchable wreckage at all. It appeared that he did, as he crouched next to the spot for a second or two.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

You can only get loot from each once per day but it is kind of confusing if you don’t keep track of where you have been.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

I’ve twice had that annoying thing happen when you destroy a periscope and while you’re dealing with the mobs it spawned, someone runs in and loots the device leaving you with nothing. I thought that wasn’t the way GW2 was supposed to work…

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I’ve twice had that annoying thing happen when you destroy a periscope and while you’re dealing with the mobs it spawned, someone runs in and loots the device leaving you with nothing. I thought that wasn’t the way GW2 was supposed to work…

Err, that should not be possible. Anyone passing by get their own loot, just like with resource nodes.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Other players can’t steal your loot. The loot is character-based, everyone gets their own.

However, the wreckage does disappear after a certain amount of time, so if you took too long dealing with enemies it could vanish. Or, as mentioned, it just didn’t drop because you can only get the loot from each specific periscope once per day.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Or, as mentioned, it just didn’t drop because you can only get the loot from each specific periscope once per day.

That’s probably it, since they’ve neglected to give us any indication that we’ve already destroyed any particular telescope…

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Hubby and I have taken down periscopes that did not give the audio log. These were scopes we tried for the first time. I think overall in 30 scopes I came across roughly 3 of them I was unable to loot and they were not scopes we had been to before.

We also have come across wrecked scopes and were able to loot the wreckage without having to take the scope down. So not sure if there are occasional bugs in them… Hubby did go back last night to the one in Wayfayer that didn’t allow us to loot it – it was more than a day since we had been there and was successfully able to loot it, so who knows….

Since we have been able to retrieve the audio logs more times than not the failures/bugs are not that upsetting. I wish though they would set more often than once a day though. 12 hours would be enough for me.

in Flame and Frost

digiowl.9620

As it seems the wreckage is spawned after a kill, rather than us simply looting the “corpse” of a periscope, it could be that it tracks what you loot rather than what you kill. Meaning that if you stop to loot random wreckage you may not be able to get something from killing a periscope in the same location later that day.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Bob Director of Sales.9067

Bob Director of Sales.9067

I just opened a new map section on a character and it gave no periscope drops. This instance is not the first time I’ve noticed this periscope malfunction and at this point I think it will kill my chances of the monthly achievement because 150 audio logs seems impossible with the current mechanics. I wish there would be a resolution to this soon but I’d really just take any solution eventually.

in Flame and Frost

digiowl.9620

I have come to suspect that whoever set up the achievement didn’t know that the periscopes were only once pr day pr account.