Really don't like these deadlines

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: bjwhiteda.7645

bjwhiteda.7645

Ok if this is a “living story” why are there deadlines? Those of us whom cannot be on every night or due to work schedules can only play on weekeneds really get left out. I know I am not alone in saying that I am yet to be able to finish one of the living story or events lines.

I dont like being forced into dungeon groups when all the rest of the storylines were not forced groups.

In all honesty.. as much as I loved guild wars and liked guild wars 2 at the beginning…i am really not liking how the storylines and forced groupings are being pushed on us.

Anyhow I know I am about to get jumped all over for stating this but its my opinion and i also know that i seriously doubt Anet will give my opinion a second thought. But before anyone rips into me give me a moment to put on my armor and flame proof longjohns and remember..everyone is entitled to how they feel.

Disclaimer
Courteous, intelligent debate from players help devs make a good game, legendary

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: FenGuild.1097

FenGuild.1097

I understand ya absolutely because I’m in the same boat as you with a busy schedule life. It’s just I accepted the fact I couldn’t participate much regardless of forced dungeon or their event lines they setup for their customers. They did a great job on this event too in my opinion when I watch some users videos on youtube during break time.

As for the next event I know I won’t be able to participate much in Guild Wars 2 due to work. Can’t help it that’s life.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

If you can’t get on for an hour in a period of 2 weeks for the dungeon, or for 5 min in a period of 4 days for the finale, you really shouldn’t be worrying about missing out on the content. Guild Wars 2 is obviously not a big enough part of your life to warrant a complaint. If you really think GW2 content is such an important thing in your life, perhaps you should restructure your life around GW2. I mean, it can’t be THAT hard to log on once to do this content. However if you don’t think it’s worth restructuring your life, then you should just be enjoying the things that you have in your life that you think are more worthwhile spending your time on. It is a role-playing game, and if you’re lucky enough to have a role in your real life that’s worth playing, you should be happy with that and not trying to fit in a second life. I WISH I could complain about not having time to play games

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I am completely against this limited time content. Limited holiday events are one thing, and that’s okay because it’s an event to celebrate that holiday, but making normal content like this limited is incredibly stupid in my opinion.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: DJSushi.5406

DJSushi.5406

I agree wholeheartedly with this. While the content itself has been great, the time limit seems arbitrary and frustrating. For me, it has turned the content from something I may want to do to something I need to do, checklist style with a time constraint. While I realize we (those who somehow didn’t have time) are a small minority, what does this time constraint possibly add to the experience of the majority? They get to watch us grumble on the forums?

In short, I feel that this time-sensitive content goes entirely against the ethos or whathaveyou that GW2 is trying to achieve: Play your own way, but not on your own schedule.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Flame & Frost is the story that explains how the original permanent content evolves into the new permanent content. By its very nature, it has to be temporary.

Whether one realizes it or not, this is generally good for all of us because it gives ANet a chance to do a lot of experimentation, without forcing us to accept every idea they have. We give feedback, they tweak, and the game is better for it.

If you have time to play through it, great — you got to enjoy some of the transition. If not, well, you’re in the same boat as someone who buys the game in June — you’ll have missed out on some stuff, but still get to enjoy the best the game has to offer.

I’m sorry that some of us won’t be able to see everything the game has to offer, but I really don’t see how ANet can tell an evolving story without time-limiting some of the content.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

Flame & Frost is the story that explains how the original permanent content evolves into the new permanent content. By its very nature, it has to be temporary.

Whether one realizes it or not, this is generally good for all of us because it gives ANet a chance to do a lot of experimentation, without forcing us to accept every idea they have. We give feedback, they tweak, and the game is better for it.

If you have time to play through it, great — you got to enjoy some of the transition. If not, well, you’re in the same boat as someone who buys the game in June — you’ll have missed out on some stuff, but still get to enjoy the best the game has to offer.

I’m sorry that some of us won’t be able to see everything the game has to offer, but I really don’t see how ANet can tell an evolving story without time-limiting some of the content.

Instances. The same way they had it in GW1 if you were a Canthan/Elonian character doing content that was Gates of Kryta or earlier (“This has already happened before your character arrived on Tyria. You are experiencing past events.” kind of thing).

Or even just like the bonus content you could buy where it put you in the shoes of key people. Remove the achievements that people were unable to get and let them play through the story in the shoes of Rox/Braham. For a small fee of course.

Removing this content completely, even for the sake of the story, is a waste of effort and incredibly limiting in my opinion. What happens when new players look back on the game?

A:“Wow, this game doesn’t have that much content for being this old”
B: “Well, actually there was more…”
A:“Really? What happened to it?”
B:“They removed it to make the game more exciting.”
A: “Well… is there a way you can access it again?”
B: “Nope.”
A: “So… it’s just gone? Forever?”
B: “Yep.”
A: “…”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

It’s called a living story because it’s always going to change. It’s not like there will be no new content coming after. And as said earlier, if you couldn’t log on for an hour in the last 2 weeks to run the dungeon once then was it really that important to you? You clearly have something more important to do, so why would you be upset.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The deadlines were not that difficult to meet. With the exception of the dungeon that was 2 weeks, you had at least a month to do all of the content. You had even more time for content that came out months ago.

I don’t agree the reasoning the “well I just didn’t have enough time because I was busy” reasoning. Let’s say that the dungeon took two hours and the other content took two hours combined. That’s four hours of content over the past several months! Surely that’s easily doable.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Personally I think it is a waste to throw away content. However there is the other side of it. You don’t have to put as much polish on temporary content, and there is no ongoing maintenance required. e.g. It won’t be around long enough for people to complain about exploits or balance issues. I couldn’t bring myself to do all the content in the allotted time, but I think this format is better than the Southsun Cove one day only event.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

Instances. The same way they had it in GW1 if you were a Canthan/Elonian character doing content that was Gates of Kryta or earlier (“This has already happened before your character arrived on Tyria. You are experiencing past events.” kind of thing).

Or even just like the bonus content you could buy where it put you in the shoes of key people. Remove the achievements that people were unable to get and let them play through the story in the shoes of Rox/Braham. For a small fee of course.

Removing this content completely, even for the sake of the story, is a waste of effort and incredibly limiting in my opinion. What happens when new players look back on the game?

A:“Wow, this game doesn’t have that much content for being this old”
B: “Well, actually there was more…”
A:“Really? What happened to it?”
B:“They removed it to make the game more exciting.”
A: “Well… is there a way you can access it again?”
B: “Nope.”
A: “So… it’s just gone? Forever?”
B: “Yep.”
A: “…”

This is false comparison if I ever saw one. Game came-out in August, first bit of new content we got was Halloween, that was seasonal and finished without leaving a permanent mark, especially now that the Lion Statue is back. November was Karka even and that left behind Fractals and South Cove. December was seasonal so, nothing permanent. Super Adventure Box likewise is seasonal. Living story left behind Cragstead and Hatchery and is still continuing in a new arc.

So in the last six months or so, the game has grown and changed. A new person joining now will have plenty to do. So what if they don’t get to do some of the things we got to do by playing the game in August. The stuff we have, titles, items, mark our age in the game. It’s not a bad thing.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Stormclaw.5031

Stormclaw.5031

The deadlines are there because they need you to keep playing the game. If every new bit of content remained around forever, you could easily tell yourself “maybe I’ll check it out in a few months, once there’s a nice backlog of things to see”. And then you might forget about the game entirely. But they need you playing. By making all these events so strictly time-limited, they force you to log in to see them. And if you log in, maybe you’ll buy gems. And maybe you’ll get your friends to come play, too. And maybe they’ll buy gems. And maybe they’ll bring in more friends, who will have to buy copies of the game, and maybe gems too.

It’s just business. Don’t have to like it, but it works, and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. The whole “living story” thing is a little pretentious, though. Better MMOs than this one have done sequential, world-altering events long before GW2 was a twinkle in anyone’s eye.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Personally I thought they got the deadlines about right this time. I’m out the house 12 hours a day on weekdays and can’t always play in the evening or on weekends but I was able to do all the Flame and Frost content at least once. I didn’t get to do as many runs through the dungeon as I’d like but that’s tied to the RNG issue and a whole different discussion. I was able to do it about 4 times.

Sometimes it does take a bit of planning, but that’s true of pretty much any activity. If you want to see a movie you don’t just hope you’ll be near a cinema with a few hours free one day, or that they’ll keep showing it forever so you can go if and when that does happen. You make time for it.

It’s the same with this game. If I want to do something I know can’t be done in pieces as and when I have time (which was how I did most the F&F content), especially if it’s only up for a limited time, I’ll make time for it. Maybe planning my weekend so I have an hour or two to play un-interrupted, or planning to do it on a night when my husband is making dinner so I have more free time in the evening. Whatever works.

As for people who don’t like group content I really think you should try it out. I’d never done a dungeon before this, unless you count the Wintersday thing which I did with my guild, and I’m mainly a solo player, but I did it 4 times with PUGs and it was fine. It’s basically a series of Dynamic Events that you happen be doing with the same few people, not much different to playing Open World content at a quiet time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I think temporary content is ok, but the schedule is pretty strange. Two months where nearly nothing happens, one month (chapter III) with pretty ok content and then suddenly make a dungeon avaiable for only some days and the bonfire-thing for four day max only to toss out the next content-bits suddenly. You do not miss much from the bonfire-thing, btw so maybe this part has an appropriate timing but even though I don’t like dungeons at all (and YES I did try) I think they could have kept this a bit longer so that more people could participate while chapter I and II could have fit easily in one month together.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I am completely against this limited time content. Limited holiday events are one thing, and that’s okay because it’s an event to celebrate that holiday, but making normal content like this limited is incredibly stupid in my opinion.

I’m with this one.
Being forced to play by Anets schedule is really making me hate the living story stuff.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If you couldn’t log on for 1 hour each month for the past 4 months then I don’t think you can reasonably blame Anet for that. You have 3 days to log on for the finale. It takes 10 seconds to get the achievement, and about 20 minutes to go around and do all the possible dialog. Again, if you can’t spare 20 minutes over 3 days then the problem is not with Anet.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: chucky.4798

chucky.4798

No problem with deadlines. The only problem the temporary contents, not the whole living story but like the dungeon. The living story good, great tool to introduce new contents how evolve Tyria (maps, dungeons, mini games, etc etc).

The real question is, all living story content will be temporary? If the answer is yes, then the real breakthrough will come with expansions. I think the living stories can not encouraged to stay in here the players between expansions. If other living stories will the same length. 4 month living story developement and you can finish during a day. You can say good bye to Dungeon, the dungeon is the only good thing in living story (good thing = long time, fun, repeatable, would be permanent and would evolve Tyria and the game).

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: RochelleFreeman.5603

RochelleFreeman.5603

Yeah but they put so much effort into this temporary content when they should be perfecting the old content. Or at the least do us a favor and leave the dungeon, because that was a phenomenal dungeon to say the least.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Rafiee.2935

Rafiee.2935

Yeah I just finished up with finals on friday last week and shipped my computer home on thursday. It won’t arrive until wednesday this week so I have no chance to do the epilogue. Cool

http://feverclan.com/forums/forum.html
LvL 80 Ranger on Sea of Sorrow’s
Fever Clan[FC] Guild Leader

in Flame and Frost

Ayrilana.1396

Sometimes things in real life get in the way. It’s unfortunate but happens.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Scott Cindershot.9817

Scott Cindershot.9817

Well. I had a very slight issue the past few weeks while the dungeon has been out.

The overall content I was able to complete in no time at all. I live a busy schedule too.
However, the dungeon was something I was unable to complete. The one time I had enough time to get it done, my group and I got to the final boss battle. We had both the bosses down to about 50% health and suddenly, we all Disconnected from the game.
Sadly, my group did not want to stick around. So it got too late and I was unable to complete.

I think the only thing that really bugs me, is that the final epilogue achievement is:
A. Not really worth doing (10 achievement points. Woop-de-doo)
B. It doesn’t even count on the gauntlet achievement.

Granted, the gauntlet achievement does say you have to do the facility. But really, that just makes the epilogue achievement worthless. Sure it’s 10 seconds to get it. But shouldn’t there be more to it than that? I’m not 100% sure, but don’t you need to do the story arc’s in order to get the epilogue achievement? If that’s not the case, what’s the point of even making it achievement? Do give people 10 A-points for pressing F on their keyboard?

Well that’s my rant. Shame the dungeon counts for so much. Especially for those of us who may have also been involved in that Disconnect bug.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Tenlaael.4975

Tenlaael.4975

Kitten happens, as it were.

I wouldn’t panic over the loss of access too much, the dungeon was the only “content” to speak of, and it wasn’t particularly challenging. I mean, the drops were cool but I went there what? maybe 3 times? about 45 minutes each time.

It worries me that players are concerned about content going away if they can’t get on for an hour in little over two weeks. There’s a lot of content out there…Just because it’s only here for two weeks, doesn’t make it any different from all of the other content in the game.

Then again, people get unlucky, but look at it this way: If you were on holiday for this event and missed it, it’s a shame…but then on the next event you’re all prepared for and can attend – there will be another guy who won’t be able to play it. Sure it’s gutting, but it’s not the end of the game…there will be more!

However if all you’re worried about is you might have missed something cool to look at, I’m sure youtube will indulge you.

Cheers,
Ten.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

And sometimes it’s bad communication by ArenaNet.

in Flame and Frost

Ayrilana.1396

They had dates in patch notes and the guide stickied in these forums.

in Flame and Frost

Manasa Devi.7958

They had dates in patch notes and the guide stickied in these forums.

Indeed, and one of those stickies had the final end on May 16 until just a few hours ago, when it was changed to May 14. Reducing it from 4 day to 2 days, with 1 of those days halfway over, leaving a single day to get the final achievement.

in Flame and Frost

Ayrilana.1396

The final achievement is just to click on a bonfire. Takes like 5 seconds.

in Flame and Frost

Manasa Devi.7958

Would if I could.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

No surprise that there are those who are determined to defend this to the bitter end. That level of fanaticism always baffles me.

Some people would like to be able to do this but will miss out due to a variety of reasons, not everyone will even have access to a PC for the day and a half that it’s around. Some will be away from home due to work, for example, there is no good reason these events to be so short all living world content should be available for a minimum of a month.

There is no need to remove them just because the next part of the story is becoming available. I think we’re smart enough to be able to handle the idea that two stories are occurring simultaneously.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Wanderinlost.7964

Wanderinlost.7964

It really sucks.. spent time completeing all the achievements prior to this and miss the end by 24 hours.

MY problem with this is that it was said earlier that there would be time after each stage to go in and complete the content. Which there was and now there isnt any time for the last stage. Based on the timetable for the previous installments there should be at least 1-2 months before the finished this.

in Flame and Frost

Ayrilana.1396

There is time for the last part. You have about two days. It doesn’t take a month to click on the bonfire.

in Flame and Frost

Manasa Devi.7958

Thinking we had 4 days and planning accordingly, and still the blame is put at our feet? Puh-lease.

in Flame and Frost

Ayrilana.1396

I personally don’t see the issue over the two days that was dropped considering it was an error. This achievement barely takes any time at all and people should be able to do it in the allotted time window. If they can’t then that’s unfortunate. It’s just an achievement.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

lol wow please no more of these complains. Anet already caters to the casual player basis that plays 5 hours a week enough. You had plenty of time to do F&F. There isnt much more they should do.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Jon of the Wired.3275

Jon of the Wired.3275

It is a bit frustrating. I put a fair amount of time into completing all of the living story achievements in the previous phases, but tonight is literally the first time I’ve been able to login to GW2 since April, so I had no opportunity to complete the dungeon and bring the story to a satisfying conclusion. I understand the content is temporary, but two weeks is a pretty tight deadline if you have a lot of stuff going on outside of the game.

Missing my only chance to finish out the story when I’d put so much into it is very demotivating. I’m sure I’ll get over it, but I think I might be done with this game for a little while. I just feel, ugh…

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Missing my only chance to finish out the story when I’d put so much into it is very demotivating. I’m sure I’ll get over it, but I think I might be done with this game for a little while. I just feel, ugh…

You’re exaggerating ..and its a game.. ugh you people make me want to eat cake right now. /afk to eat cake.

Pineapples

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: tiguere.3159

tiguere.3159

If you can’t get on for an hour in a period of 2 weeks for the dungeon, or for 5 min in a period of 4 days for the finale, you really shouldn’t be worrying about missing out on the content. Guild Wars 2 is obviously not a big enough part of your life to warrant a complaint. If you really think GW2 content is such an important thing in your life, perhaps you should restructure your life around GW2. I mean, it can’t be THAT hard to log on once to do this content. However if you don’t think it’s worth restructuring your life, then you should just be enjoying the things that you have in your life that you think are more worthwhile spending your time on. It is a role-playing game, and if you’re lucky enough to have a role in your real life that’s worth playing, you should be happy with that and not trying to fit in a second life. I WISH I could complain about not having time to play games

And that means ALL the new content is invalid for those type of players and they get nothing.

The new content, the new items, are only available for a short time. So people have all the time in the world to play when they want for the normal content (which is about 30 days worth of content and done—you just beat the game and have nothing to do).

The new stuff is out of reach.

The game can easily keep persistence in the world AND allow people to back track. We have reality warping Asura to add any plot device, like say… a giant virtual reality video game inside a D&D themed world… (if that fits into the game lore, then time travel for past achievements is perfectly valid).

Fractuals are pieces of reality and time. If we can revisit GW1 during the Searing, we can surely revisit GW2

in Flame and Frost

Ayrilana.1396

There really wasn’t much of a story until the end of March patch. Even then you coul do it in about 40 minutes. I wish next time they shorten the downtime between living story updates. You can still build suspense and still do the entire story chain within a month.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Wanderinlost.7964

Wanderinlost.7964

they should of given us more than 2 weeks to do the dungeon..

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Rafiee.2935

Rafiee.2935

I personally don’t see the issue over the two days that was dropped considering it was an error. This achievement barely takes any time at all and people should be able to do it in the allotted time window. If they can’t then that’s unfortunate. It’s just an achievement.

assuming we can log in to the game before then, which some of us can’t including me

http://feverclan.com/forums/forum.html
LvL 80 Ranger on Sea of Sorrow’s
Fever Clan[FC] Guild Leader

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: trashcanhands.8269

trashcanhands.8269

I am one item away from completing Lost and Found which will give me Alliance Breaker and 100% on LS Content..swept areas again but could not find anything..My question is – Is it too late as of now to finish Lost and Found and get my fused gauntlet ticket?

i5 2500k@4.6ghz/Asus p8/z68 Deluxe Gen3
8gb G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
EVGA 570GTX SC

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Zeph.5927

Zeph.5927

All I know is that they had better step it up for the next part of the living story. F&F was such a joke. I took a 3-4 month break from GW2 to play some SWTOR and came back this past Friday. I did all (and I mean all, achievements and everything included) the F&F content in about 3-4 hours (minus the one achievement I got when I clicked on a bonfire Sunday). I mean seriously? ~4 months of content completed in 3-4 hours? What a joke and waste of time. The story telling and immersion during the F&F stuff was pitiful as well. I couldn’t care less for Braham and Rox. Especially Braham…the weird, kitten, emo norn child who has mommy issues. Rox was at least tolerable, but by no means a worthwhile character to get involved in. And the rewards for all of the F&F stuff? Please…don’t make me laugh. The best (and really only good thing) that came out of the F&F content was the infinite use pickaxe….but of course you have to use gems in order to get it! Go figure.

All I can say is that I hope Anet steps it up with the next chain of living story content or this game is going no where fast. I held out until all F&F content was released to try and give myself something to do (I was at least hoping to get a few days worth of play out of it)…but alas…it was nothing more than an evening of mediocre fun at best. sigh

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: ShadowViper.4185

ShadowViper.4185

I am seriously unhappy with this as much as the OP. It really does frustrate the living hell out of me. If I would have know these achievements and story missions were only available for a short period of time and then I would not be able to complete them, maybe I would have done them.

But this kind of blatant oversight on many of the older / working / parents of this community is quite sickening to me. Seems Anet doesn’t really care for those of us who have other things to do, but would rather tailor to those who can be on at least once a day at one point or another. Frankly, it’s a slap to the face. Here’s content for you to do, sorry you have a life, guess what – you can’t do that content anymore.

Pretty freaking lame if you ask me.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

If you don’t or can’t see the issue then perhaps you shouldn’t be commenting on it? After all why should you comment on something you don’t understand? Perhaps some day you won’t be always able to jump online whenever you want to and then you may understand.