The problem isn't content; it's rewards

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I think most people can agree that the Living Story content is cool the first time. The content, while a bit limited, is the quality we’ve come to expect from ArenaNet.

The problem is there’s no reason to pursue it after one attempt because all the rewards seem to be linked to karma. While karma is useful now because of the lockboxes, it’s still not interesting. Not many players feel compelled to do something just because of karma.

Even then, the karma obtained is kind of weak. Getting 100 karma per periscope feels like nothing, and the instances aren’t much better when time to complete are considered.

The solution: Either directly reward players with pets, titles, or equipment skins or attach those rewards to karma. Ideally, the Flame & Frost dynamic events, instances and periscopes would have tokens attached to them, and those tokens could be used to buy rewards, including karma jugs for players who want the option.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

If you think back to the Karka storylines, players were initially complaining about poor loot. Then there was big final event day with excellent rewards in the final chest. It was such a good reward that anyone who didn’t get it complained. Although the moral could be that players always complain about loot, I think it could also be a case of ‘wait and see’. The good rewards will come at the end not in the middle.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

That doesn’t justify bad rewards during the middle, though. Why would ArenaNet not want players to engage in he current content?

If the current state of Southsun Cove is any indication, making these events last into the future is going to require more incentive to actually do them.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

If you think back to the Karka storylines, players were initially complaining about poor loot. Then there was big final event day with excellent rewards in the final chest. It was such a good reward that anyone who didn’t get it complained. Although the moral could be that players always complain about loot, I think it could also be a case of ‘wait and see’. The good rewards will come at the end not in the middle.

Yeah. The problem with Karka was that the rewards were abysmal initially. Which made people not as excited for the events. It also gave people the notion that doing the final event would not be worth their time. Karka was probably the worst way to handle rewards possible.

Currently the rewards are not that stellar for Flame And Frost, either. And I’m worried we’re going to have a repeat of what happened with karka. Karma is so easy to get now because of the dailies and the bags in dungeons that I don’t think anyone really looks at karma and thinks of it as a reward anymore. ArenaNet either needs to make gaining karma feel more rewarding, or they need to stop relying on it as the default choice for rewards.