best boss encounter ever

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

I’m sure this was a wonderful dungeon—if I’d be allowed to see anything other than the first room and the respawn point.
The content up until this point was great, and the missions you run with Rox and Braham were excellent—a solid challenge for a solo backed by whichever Hero, but fun. A shame that you couldn’t bother do do the same with this one (especially given the work accomplished along similar lines with the missions in GW1). Even an alternative mission that gave credit so people won’t be shafted out of the glove reward would have been nice. I paid for Guild Wars, not WoW—so why are we being forced to do WoW boss raids?

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I enjoyed it as well. I think future (and current) dungeons should be made with a combination of inspiration from SAB and this Molten Alliance dungeon. I actually feel like I’m on an adventure in both of those compared to the original dungeons in terms of pacing and mechanics.

I disagree. If you want platforming, play Mario games.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I enjoyed it as well. I think future (and current) dungeons should be made with a combination of inspiration from SAB and this Molten Alliance dungeon. I actually feel like I’m on an adventure in both of those compared to the original dungeons in terms of pacing and mechanics.

I disagree. If you want platforming, play Mario games.

If you don’t want platforming in an MMO, play WoW. It’s a core gameplay element since release.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

First dungeon I have ever done. I tried with a group the evening before and we got to the bosses but were not able to take them down. Today I went in with another group and we accomplished it.

I really enjoyed the challenge of doing this. Very nice job, Anet. Kudos to the folks who try hard to work together to get through the dungeon – that made for an incredible experience.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

I had a BLAST playing this dungeon especialy the last boss fight, never before i had such fun and challenging fight whit a boss in a dungeon. BUT!!! is not only about the boss, trash mobs are not so trashy anymore you actualy have to use some of coordination when fighting them , like pull or push when they pop up that shield so that you can damage other mobs and they drop soo many good items (6 rares in 1 run from trash mobs whit 0% MF)
If you can make such a fun dungeon why didnt you make other dungeons like that from the start.

Its the only dungon that i didnt get bored whit after 3th run and still want to do next run.

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Ekemeister.8905

Ekemeister.8905

The bosses were creative in concept but the fight didn’t require new tactics to defeat them. I lieterally read the tooltips, switched to rifle, and shot the boss that adds quickness and shoots aoes. To me the choice was intuitive (not for the rest of my party however).

Imao, Shadow of the Colossus holds the best boss battles title for all weight classes. Vindictus also has good boss battles too due to new tactics using chains and improv weapons actually being an allowed and epic tactic. The two bosses weren’t bad, but the actual battle mechanics were just more of the same.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Has the boss encounter been adjusted? Yesterday (30 April) we ran it for the first time and had a blast from beginning to end. The twin bosses were challenging but fun and we got through the encounter in one go. Today (1 May) we went in with 4 of the same players (albeit with different characters) and had to give up because we couldn’t even get one of the bosses down, despite repeated attempts to do so, and it simply got too late to continue.

First team was 3 Guardians, 1 Necromancer and a Ranger; Second team was 1 Guardian, 1 Necromancer, 2 Engineers and a Warrior.

As I say, 4 of the 5 were the same people so competency levels were unchanged, yet all of us agreed that the encounter had become much harder. Were we imagining this? Or are Engineers really that much of a liability on bosses?

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Paul Belz.7351

Previous

Paul Belz.7351

Next

No changes to the bosses since we released the content. We aren’t planning on changing anything about them balance-wise.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Or are Engineers really that much of a liability on bosses?

I done it 4 time as an Engineer and never had any problems whit them, duno about the rest of the party but i rarely was geting hit, also once was in a party of 3 guardians and 1 warrior whit my Engineer and it was me who was the last man standing and while fighting the boss i was trying to res the team.
Honestly just because engineers dont have much def or dmg it dosent mean that they are responsible for party failure.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I wonder if such epic bossfights would be possible outside of dungeons. Like: your zerg runs into the battle, the boss throws everyone but 5-8 players out of the arena (because he decides to fight 8 at a time, not more) and the other players outside have to support the players in the arena by doing events that interact with the battle. And then the boss switches to 8 other players. etc.

Some kind of anti-zerg mechanic without excluding the zerg completely – so that coordinated battles are still possible.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vewen.8016

Vewen.8016

Has the boss encounter been adjusted? Yesterday (30 April) we ran it for the first time and had a blast from beginning to end. The twin bosses were challenging but fun and we got through the encounter in one go. Today (1 May) we went in with 4 of the same players (albeit with different characters) and had to give up because we couldn’t even get one of the bosses down, despite repeated attempts to do so, and it simply got too late to continue.

First team was 3 Guardians, 1 Necromancer and a Ranger; Second team was 1 Guardian, 1 Necromancer, 2 Engineers and a Warrior.

As I say, 4 of the 5 were the same people so competency levels were unchanged, yet all of us agreed that the encounter had become much harder. Were we imagining this? Or are Engineers really that much of a liability on bosses?

We had similar experience this evening, and we even went in with the same group. We finished it easily yesterday, now we wiped two times. It really felt like the damage was increased.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

The challenge was really awesome! none of us had any idea what to do and each boss attempt we was trying different things, the last one with the shockwaves was crazy until we realised we could jump over each wave, at the end of the fight everyone was in unanimous agreement it was among the best they’ve seen!

Really awesome! it’s a shame to see the content go away so soon, especially given how it looks like so much work has gone into the design and look of it.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I did manage to get a group for another run at this that didnt go so well, and now I have one complaint. After ressing the group was immediately placed on the platform again after a loading screen, and mid-combat. I have an average computer but I actually arrived to one person being down and one already dead. Nobody knew what was up with that, needless to say it was a wipe and then the group split.

So if thats a mechanic of the fight and not a bug it should probably be done differently, starting the group at the waypoint so they can change skills and talk strategy before going in again.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Marcus Greythorne.6843

After ressing the group was immediately placed on the platform again after a loading screen, and mid-combat.

good point, it happened to me too. I forgot to send a bugreport, it seemed odd.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Paul Belz.7351

Previous

Paul Belz.7351

Thanks guys, we’ve identified that issue and are working on getting a fix through. Hopefully one of the next few days.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I felt like a lot of the encounters, gauntlets and the boss fights were well balanced. Fun, diverse, and not unfairly hard (but still challenging). This felt more like what a dungeon should be in my opinion. Also, I was surprised to see ore-nodes we could mine. I wonder if that was due to my suggestion on these forums to add them to dungeons? Maybe not, but good to see them none the less.

Also, that tunneling scene at the start is just really well designed. Its exciting and looks cool. Its something we haven’t seen before.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Marcus Greythorne.6843

how do those team-setups inside Anet actually work? Are there people from the dungeon-team who assisted the holiday-team? I heard the dungeon-team is currently working on other (dungeons?)… hmm. I was quite impressed how well designed this dungeon was, small things like the freeze-machines, the stressed-buff, the hidden items, the following prisoners, the escape race at the end (even though it could have been a bit harder),… so much great ideas. Then the courage to take ideas from other games to implement a decent boss-mechanic. The learning-phase which is the first boss. MAN.

Are you doing dungeons again in the future, Paul & Team? Is there a possibility to fuse with the actual dungeon team to work out (instanced or perhaps some non-instanced) boss-battles / dungeon-scenarios?

People are enjoying difficult open world encounters like the god-temples, I think there could be much more though. Perhaps you could help redesigning the Meta-Event bosses

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

I must admit for me it was easy, yet it felt real good to do the fight, i was flowing good and even if my team was dying constantly we managed to push through it. At certain points I felt like I could solo the boss on my own but still it was really fun and the dungeon design itself was jaw drooping!

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I won’t call it the “best encounter” as it was quite punishing for a story mode encounter, but I’ll give it best introduced encounter. For once the bosses use something that has been seen before!

In other bosses that I saw so far in dungeons (and guild bounties!), it’s been:
“What’s that boss doing?”
<splat, rez>
“Okay… so that attack does…”
<dodge, dodge, splat, rez>
“AARGH now it does…”
<splat>
<insert profanity here>

“Oh! They’re using the same stuff that I saw before. Now how do I…”
<splat>
“Okay now I get it! Cool!”
<win>

Please continue to do this where some of the mechanics are introduced beforehand, specifically:

(bah spoiler tag’s not working properly you’ll figure it out)

Yeah , as a developer thats exactly what there suppose to do you see it all the time in some of the best game’s, it lets the game to be challenging but not stupid hard

i even called it as we were fighting one of the earlyer mini boss’s “this totaly feels like were going to have to deal with this on a much grander scale later.”

but than i know what to look for and I know when even the game’s that hide it the best are teaching me. This is a MUCH better way of doing it anet keep it up

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

UnderdogSMO.9428

Or are Engineers really that much of a liability on bosses?

did it yesterday no problem with a 2 warrior’s, ((i was one and a guildy was another. He kept dieing how ever because he was a spike damage warrior and outside of COF he kinda sucks it seems)) necro, thief, engie,

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: ImperialGrey.4709

ImperialGrey.4709

I guess I’m not seeing how great these bosses are. I played today with 4 others and we were wiping out pretty quickly, especially after we respawned on the circle and one or two of us were already down. Also we killed off the flying flame boss, the gauntlet boss berserked, we all died and both bosses were back the next time we restarted. Eventually we all quit the dungeon out of frustration.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

UnderdogSMO.9428

I guess I’m not seeing how great these bosses are. I played today with 4 others and we were wiping out pretty quickly, especially after we respawned on the circle and one or two of us were already down. Also we killed off the flying flame boss, the gauntlet boss berserked, we all died and both bosses were back the next time we restarted. Eventually we all quit the dungeon out of frustration.

were they are indeed challenging ((not the same as Hard)), you learn there mechanics over time as you progress through the dungeon at each of the smaller boss’s, instead of just being tossed into a fight you know nothing about. you see the shock wave’s and go “OH i have seen this befor!”

top it off with the fact that you can actually see an oncoming attack and can make some production as to there next move it alows you to think and react.

Unlike some of the older one shot boss’s in this game that would just smash you with almost no way you could see it coming you actualy have the opertunity to get out of the way.

even the shock wave sends out 3 waves at one time, the first one wont kill you if your at full health ((and not a spike build)) and than at that point you KNOW you have to dodge.

and there’s not some stupid crazzy amount of conditions were when a team member remove’s them there back ontop of you again ((UNLESS you run you happy butt back into the fire))

any failings you make VS thees boss’s are your own fault and not the fault of a broken game and yet there also not so face role easy that you just spam attacks tell its dead.

older content had a habbit of going one way or the other. ((stupid hard VS Spam Damage easy)

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I wonder if such epic bossfights would be possible outside of dungeons. Like: your zerg runs into the battle, the boss throws everyone but 5-8 players out of the arena (because he decides to fight 8 at a time, not more) and the other players outside have to support the players in the arena by doing events that interact with the battle. And then the boss switches to 8 other players. etc.

Some kind of anti-zerg mechanic without excluding the zerg completely – so that coordinated battles are still possible.

I like this, but how about the boss flings downed players out of the “arena” and pulls a new one in. You know, world’s biggest tag team match.

But yeah, we did it first time with the guild yesterday and had a blast the whole time. with two necros a warrior, a thief, and an ele. I think we wiped during the dungeon three times but by the time we got to the bosses we didn’t total wipe (though there were some tense kite/res moments)

and (no spoilers!)

The bit after the boss was icing on the cake. Great dungeon, wanted to re-play right after completion just because it was so much fun!

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

This was my very first “proper” dungeon, so I had some trouble with it at the start, but I adapted relatively quickly. The end boss gave my group a lot of trouble as we were all new to it save for one experienced player, but after having completed it, I understand the mechanics a lot better now and think I would have nowhere near as much trouble going in again. I’d need to play it through a few more times, but I agree that this dungeon seems quite well-balanced and the boss mechanics, while challenging, are not overly frustrating as long as you know what to do.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

That last boss was amazing and when Braham spoke I thought the same words.

Pineapples

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Ekemeister.8905

The boss characters were amazing, but the battle was just dodge aoes and evade a strike after shadowstep.
The battle doesn’t make you think on the fly like Ninja Gaiden’s first Doku encounter did. The ai cycles thru a move-set very similar to bosses from action/platformers on the consoles. I really felt like I was fighting tiny the tiger or bowser again except they had a buddy I had to kill first.
In all honesty killing the trash mobs in the retribution dungeon were more fun gameplay wise.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

UnderdogSMO.9428

The boss characters were amazing, but the battle was just dodge aoes and evade a strike after shadowstep.
The battle doesn’t make you think on the fly like Ninja Gaiden’s first Doku encounter did. The ai cycles thru a move-set very similar to bosses from action/platformers on the consoles. I really felt like I was fighting tiny the tiger or bowser again except they had a buddy I had to kill first.
In all honesty killing the trash mobs in the retribution dungeon were more fun gameplay wise.

some of us dont consider this a bad thing. Also why i ask any one who ask me if they think thay will like GW2 i ask them if they like platforming game’s

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Basara.9405

Basara.9405

It was an amazing dungeon. I loved, specially the final encounter, but also the “weapon testing” part.
It’s sad that this dungeon will be gone soon. Would be nice if it could be compressed on a new Fractal, so that we don’t lose this amazing content.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

Absolutely love this new dungeon. It has great mechanics and I really enjoy playing it.
When will our other dungeons turn out like this since this was actually fun?

The only thing I currently hate about this is that it only last so short time…
Why do something this beautiful and delete it right after?
If the same effort and time would have been just put on other dungeons we would have now much better game experience and it would last much longer…

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Morrar.1764

Morrar.1764

Not sure if intended, but if you stand exactly under the Charr boss, the shock waves won’t hit you at all it seems. It kind of negates the whole mechanism to be honest. Not sure about the flame waves, I mostly just jump those. Jumping them is easy anyway, but it seems silly that being right in the center is the safe spot.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: raso.1372

raso.1372

I’m sure this was a wonderful dungeon—if I’d be allowed to see anything other than the first room and the respawn point.
The content up until this point was great, and the missions you run with Rox and Braham were excellent—a solid challenge for a solo backed by whichever Hero, but fun. A shame that you couldn’t bother do do the same with this one (especially given the work accomplished along similar lines with the missions in GW1). Even an alternative mission that gave credit so people won’t be shafted out of the glove reward would have been nice. I paid for Guild Wars, not WoW—so why are we being forced to do WoW boss raids?

Yea, Its like Lich King, But they took the easy out and added fun.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Ekemeister.8905

It was an amazing dungeon. I loved, specially the final encounter, but also the “weapon testing” part.
It’s sad that this dungeon will be gone soon. Would be nice if it could be compressed on a new Fractal, so that we don’t lose this amazing content.

Aw, I was hoping for an explorable with new commendation gear.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

There were a lot of really nice touches in this dungeon. Just to name a few:

1) The tunneling effect for the first hallway is a nice twist on getting the party into the dungeon, instead of just walking through a door.

2) Getting to the first ori node was simple, yet reminiscent of old-school platformers.

3) The dungeon’s ‘spiral into the abyss’ setup was fun. I had fun just standing on the path and looking at everything from all angles. Kudos to whoever created the 60-story lava falls and the central machinery tower. The whole environment was well done.

4) The off-path corpses were a nice touch. I’m hoping we see more of this type of thing, maybe implementing something similar to Link’s bombs or EotN’s Light of Deldrimor skill that opens up randomized treasure rooms or rare-spawn merchants in the permanent dungeons.

5) The final boss fight is challenging without being punishing, and the cut scenes are a huge improvement over the 2-person conversations in the rest of the game, IMO.

The one big thing that still needs work throughout all of the game’s up-leveling areas is that non-80 characters still seem to be at a huge disadvantage. The worst effect is that mobs seem to prioritize non-80s with aggro. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I just wanted to mention that it still needs consideration.

Overall, very well done.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

This is my kind of dungeon. Pretty straightforward and lots of variety, plus mithril and ori nodes to farm with my wonderful flaming pick. And as others have said, I pretty much jinxed myself with Braham when we got to the final boss encounter. (He still owes me a Coke.) Best part: the whole run took ~45 minutes with a PUG which was easy to form.

Just wish this one wasn’t disappearing so quickly.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

I’d like to add my two cents here as well. Totally agree. This fight is a challenge even with a good team. Challenge meaning, that you can’t just stand in one safe spot and shoot – you always have to pay attention, be on top of jumping waves and dodging red circles, I really love it! Also love how active both bosses are in moving around, teleporting, jumping etc. Keeps the fight interesting no matter how many times you do it! I am on my 12th run now and still not sick of it And whenever I do it with someone I have not done it with before I can not be sure we will succeed at the end! Lovely <3

And even though I will miss it once it’s gone on the 12th, I am thankful, that it is temporary! Makes it feel more special and unique, will keep me doing it for that duration and then later no pressure to keep farming it. That’s how it should be!

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Quick question about the bosses, are you going to be fixing the berserker end fight? It’s sorta easy, and feels almost bug/exploit if you all stack right inside him after the firestorm dies. The only attack he can hit you with being the rocks falling from the sky makes it a bit boreing:(

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Quick question about the bosses, are you going to be fixing the berserker end fight? It’s sorta easy, and feels almost bug/exploit if you all stack right inside him after the firestorm dies. The only attack he can hit you with being the rocks falling from the sky makes it a bit boreing:(

Yeah, we almost had a party wipe, but one guy was able to tank him and finish him off by standing at his feet. Seems like an exploit to me. I was glad not to have to redo anything in that run since it would’ve made me late for work if I had, but probably needs to be fixed. Then again, this dungeon’s around for 2 weeks or so, so is it even worth the attention?

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

Here’s my short review of the dungeon.

Keep in mind most of criticism is nitpicking.

The mob encounters were entertaining and this was a big plus and a small drawback as some of the enemies such as the “protectors” had a ground invulnerability that you had to pull him out of or wait until he moved himself out of it. This is a drawback in the regard that few skills and utilities exist to forcefully pull targets, so few in fact that it feels annoying to be the one guy in the party that can actually do it. Aside from that, the party has to be patient or attempt successive knock-backs which can seem tedious. So that was a mechanic that I felt was good, but in the current set-up of skills available to the player; it just isn’t something the game is ready for yet. This goes double for anything that already uses a mechanic similar to this. A plus to this was that the mobs in this dungeon were much more forgiving to be hit by than in the current dungeons right now, and this made the overall experience very positive in my opinion.

The “prisoners” acted unusual compared to what you would expect. Instead of them leaving the way we came in; they decided it would be a good idea to follow us for whatever reason and no audio was given to supplement that, which IMO was kinda something that only would have helped. Also they don’t escape with us so that is even more unusual as to what the hell happened there.

I liked the fact that the orichalcum ore was harder to get to and ore was incorporated in the dungeon altogether; this is overall a plus. I did not like how one of the ores was basically a trap to kill players in a very indiscriminate way if they were not paying attention. I felt that the first orichalcum ore placement was well done, whereas this one seems to be unnecessarily penalizing people who aren’t paying attention (Thus hurting the fun factor but not breaking it completely). Also, the placement of the large paper weight machines is totally unusual and doesn’t make much sense logically. In fact, it felt rather primitive even for the dredge to use them at all.

The environment I found to be attractive graphically for some odd reason. The ever changing environment/areas were impressive to the overall feel of the dungeon. There was however a flaw in the set-up in which some of the slopes and bridges specifically, that could cause one to be obstructed (at least I was) by standing on top of these slopes and shooting down in scenarios that should have been caught in early designing stages. The inclines were simply too steep at some parts that caused this to happen and could have been avoided entirely by reducing the overall angle of some of the slopes.

The cut scenes that were included were very enjoyable and only served a positive influence on the dungeon. If you hate the cut-scenes you can get out because those “dialogue scenes” are far worse in my humble opinion. Also I would be remiss to mention just how impressive the boss cut-scenes were, but that is coming up.

The boss encounters were of WoW raid variety in terms of stuff going on at one time and that was in itself very impressive. The boss dialogue was enjoyable and the boss cut-scenes were the best cut-scenes by far in the dungeon. The others were clouded by the boss cut-scenes in dramatic appeal and aesthetics, but I didn’t mind them being there.

The loot was decent without giving us a flat rate of silver to compensate for otherwise poor loot. So that was a plus, and I would like to see rewards of silver being fazed out with more impressive loot and other ways to get more adequate amounts of silver.

The overall dungeon design and mob encounters were far more entertaining generally and this dungeon completely clouds all of the standard dungeon currently released right now. Quite frankly, the Flame and Frost team should be recruited to be a permanent part of the dungeon team as they brought a lot to the table that wasn’t already there. In my opinion, Anet would be remiss to let their talents go unused in this department of development. Even if the Flame and Frost team didn’t do so hot generally in other aspects of this event; they still created the most impressive dungeon in GW2 to date, and that should be worth something. Anyway here is my rating on how well the various teams involved in this did:

Rating based on Guild War 2 dungeons 10/10
Rating based on some of WoW’s best dungeons: 8/10

Edited for some spelling errors.

(edited by Nova.8021)

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

I did manage to get a group for another run at this that didnt go so well, and now I have one complaint. After ressing the group was immediately placed on the platform again after a loading screen, and mid-combat

Ran this dungeon with my husband and son last night. Same thing happened to us.
So many times in fact, that we all had to leave the instance separately while someone stayed dead, and then we all logged off. Not fun.

Not real happy about this culminating into a 5 man either. We left WoW and Rift because there was really no way for our family to see “end” game. Now this with GW2.
We got through all of it 3 man, but due to the bugged end fight, not that last boss fight. Sucks. I’d think with this dungeon not being available after the 12th, it’d be fixed fast. I hope that ends up being the case.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

Awesome fight and even more awesome looking bosses! Please add more cut-scenes like that to other boss battles please!

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: SquirrelKing.8964

SquirrelKing.8964

I’d like to chip in my opinion here.

I tried this dungeon on patch day and got through it with a PUG. We strategized and worked out how to do it all. Tonight, however, I tried it with my wife, brother, and friends (three of whom are experienced raiders/dungeoneers from other MMOs), and we weren’t able to complete the boss fight after many wipes. Everyone in my group was pretty frustrated that we couldn’t finish, especially given the limited time that this dungeon is available.

I personally enjoyed the mechanics of the boss fight, however, I would suggest for future content to implement a casual or easy mode. I always believed Guild Wars 2 was developed for the everyday person (40 hr/wk job), but this was just too rough on my group. My brother really enjoys lore and story, and to be cut off from it after battling our way through the dungeon was extremely disappointing to him. My friends both prefer to play as melee characters, but were quickly pinned by the berserker due to his insta-teleport one-hit suction wave attack. Yes, I know this can be avoided by dodging away, but your out of luck if your endurance is too low, subsequently being knocked down and blasted into a fire aoe that lasts for over 30 seconds, leaving little chance for revival by party members.

Thank you for an awesome dungeon, but in the future, please evaluate your content for the everyday player. It should have been a challenge equivalent to the other story-mode dungeons, not an explorable.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

My guild and I grabbed our worst geared characters, some well under lvl 80 as well, and blasted right through this dungeon. We had a few wipes yes, but overall I wouldn’t ever consider it ‘casual-unfriendly’ . Lots of my guildies only play a few times a week at most. It was challenging and fun and like everyone else I hope this becomes the norm for dungeons in the game.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Quite probably the best boss entrances in the entire game. Tequatl and the Shatterer have nothing on these two guys! lol

I would definitely say they are a non-trivial fight. I’m glad the first time I ran the dungeon it was with someone experienced, that boss fight is definitely one where you want to know what’s going on. A decently coordinated group can take them, but I would be very surprised if a casual PUG could defeat them even after multiple tries. And from some of the posts it sounds like that is the case.

My guild and I grabbed our worst geared characters, some well under lvl 80 as well, and blasted right through this dungeon. We had a few wipes yes, but overall I wouldn’t ever consider it ‘casual-unfriendly’ .

But I’m willing to bet you and your guildmates and are used to playing with each other, making you better coordinated as being more knowledgeable about how to play your under-level 80 characters. Judging this boss fight against your experience with your guild is not an appropriate gauge on whether it’s casual friendly. This dungeon is not heinous, but it is no push-over and I would say it is far harder than the Mad King’s dungeon, which I would rate as more casual friendly.

SquirrelKing.8964:
I personally enjoyed the mechanics of the boss fight, however, I would suggest for future content to implement a casual or easy mode.

I cannot fathom why MMOs refuse to implement this mechanic that has worked so well in every other video game genre. GW2 has already shown it can scale content so it should be possible. The rewards would need to be adjusted so greater challenges give great rewards but scaling could even allow solo players to at least SEE the ending of the F&F storyline if their schedule doesn’t permit them the time to group over the limited 2 week period (and we’ve all been there with our real life schedules before).

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, “Descent into Madness” is my benchmark for what constitutes a “casual-friendly” dungeon. That dungeon was short and easy enough that you could literally grab any 4 strangers off the street and have a very good chance of completing it. The Molten Facility is more on par with the difficulty of the standard dungeons (although still easier, from what my guildies tell me).

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What I love most about the boss design here, is that all of the mechanics are gradually taught to the players as they play the dungeon. More dungeons need to do this!

The shockwaves that the Molten Berserker does, we get our first taste of those shockwaves early on in the dungeon. Several enemies do it, and the weapon testing area also has them. So we get to practice jumping over them.

Then there’s the bit with all the napalm being thrown around, which prepares us for the jetpack boss. And then even during the boss battle itself, the difficulty gradually increases, with the attacks becoming faster and more deadly slowly. This is the first time I’ve seen a boss in this game that wasn’t purely trial and error, and I want more bosses like this.

However, I do have a few points of criticism. I hate how the boss sometimes randomly knocks you off the platform, and I hate how all bosses beat on downed players till they are dead. I hate getting napalm thrown on top of me, while I’m down, because there’s really no way to recover from that. I also don’t like how a single shockwave sometimes hit you three times, which is probably not intended. So those things could use some work.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I have taken a recent bank holiday and spent it replaying the dungeon a few times and I have to say it’s still great, novelty doesnt wear off. The whole design of adding the final boss abilities to the prior encounters to make players more aware of them is great. Its not something for every dungeon or encounter ever (that would get old) but showcasing specific abilities prior to the main encounter as a learning tool is a very good idea.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

The dungeon was pretty fun, kinda rough on cloth wearers, but it’s possible to survive so long as you maintain a huge amount of space between you and the bosses in order to avoid those shock waves. But it was enjoyable and the rewards were decent too.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Zerikin.1593

Zerikin.1593

Gotta say that it was probably the best boss in the game to date.

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Delacroix.2650

Delacroix.2650

The bosses are easier in phase 2, partly due to the firestorm being a pushover that no longer spews culled fire residue fields across half the ring but because the beserker no longer does a wonderfully invisible shockwave that hits you three times at once.

Pound is the shockwave attack but it’s clear that the beserker currently has two ways of using it. It’s so dreamy that I can jump over the three properly visualized shockwaves only for the beserker to shadowstep to a party member across the ring and magically hit me for 14k damage with no room for reaction.

The charged up fire shockwave has a tell, leeway for error and at a reasonable interval. As a result he’s much easier to fight in phase two since the difficulty of the entire fight solely stems from invisible or broken attacks with no visual cues, since their health and other attacks are reasonable.

Attachments:

best boss encounter ever

in Flame and Frost

Zaxares.5419

For some reason, the message at the end saying your shoes have been damaged made me laugh. XD