Back button in Firefox yields random results.

in Forum and Website Bugs

Posted by: joshisanonymous.5270

joshisanonymous.5270

For instance, if I go to one of the “show us your toon” threads and click on one of the posted images to view it full size, I can’t use the back button my browser to get back to the thread. If I do, I end up on the last page of the thread even though the first page is the only one I’ve viewed so far. What’s more, if I try to use the back button from there, I simply refreshes the page I’m already on. I’ve noticed this at other times too. I was just reading a thread that had a link to a YouTube video (not embedded, just linked) and consisted of 1 page total. I tried to hit back after finishing reading it and it just refreshed the thread instead of actually going back to the list of threads.

I’ve never used an internet forum that disallowed use of the back button so I can only assume this is not working as intended.

EDIT: I just tested both of the actions I mentioned in Internet Explorer and everything worked correctly. This is definitely an issue between the forum and Firefox.

(edited by joshisanonymous.5270)

Posted by: Alyssa.3419

Alyssa.3419

Same or similar applies to Opera, any page that has a link to an individual post in the URL (i.e. #post-blahblah at the end), hitting back just makes the page reload.

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

I’m getting this very often as well, and it’s annoying.

If I make a reply to a thread, I can’t go back using the back button – it just drops me on the same page I’m already on. Often I get this symptom not just by replying, but sometimes even after I go from one page to another, I can’t go back!

Another even more disruptive bug: I just went into a thread, hit the back button to go back to the list of threads in that section, then hit the forward button to go back to the thread that I was just at. The top list of pages were doubled – one list of pages under another. And there were no posts in that thread! I hit the back button again and I land on the main forum page that lists all the categories. …What in the world is going on?

Posted by: stonberg.4198

stonberg.4198

Same here, sometimes back works, at other times it seems to take me to the bottom of the current page IIRC.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

When you go view a thread the forum attempts to take you to the first unread post. That may be causing you problems.

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

Same problem with chrome.

Posted by: Daysy of Ascalon.1974

Daysy of Ascalon.1974

Instead of clicking on the link with the left mouse button, use the middle one. That way the new page opens in another tab and your original page is untouched, so you can return to it at any time.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Instead of clicking on the link with the left mouse button, use the middle one. That way the new page opens in another tab and your original page is untouched, so you can return to it at any time.

More importantly, you can open lots of pages in tabs at the same time. My typical way of reading a forum is:
– Open all interesting subforums in tabs. Then close the main forum tab.
– Open all intersting threads from a subforum in new tabs. Then close that subforums tab. Repeat until all subforum tabs are closed.
– Read each thread.

It’s much more convenient than using the back button to read a forum. Even on forums that work.

Posted by: Tweek.3190

Tweek.3190

I also have similar problems with Firefox:
Say I visit the crafting forum and go to thread A. After reading it I click on the link “crafting” at the top of the page, then visit thread B. Using the page back function here, then using page forward because I missed something in the thread. When I use the page back function after that I get pushed to thread A instead of the crafting forum, which was the last page I visited.

Posted by: Hendever.6043

Hendever.6043

I have the same problem fairly often, seemingly randomly, using both Firefox 16.0.1 and the alpha build (18.0).

The workaround I generally use is to hold down the back button and select the page I want to navigate to from the dropdown. Doing so usually shows that the page I’m on is apparently the previous two to three pages in the queue.

Posted by: myng.3516

myng.3516

My back button just did the same thing. Pressing back refreshed the page I was currently on. However, I had another strange occurrence happen not too long ago… I was reading a thread and pressed the back button and it logged me out. I wasn’t typing a reply, nor was I ‘inactive’ for more than 2 seconds. I pressed back and I was suddenly logged out.

Overpaid, Underplayed

Posted by: MeneerZondervan.5943

MeneerZondervan.5943

When a page reloads using the ‘Back’ arrow: This is most likely caused by a script, try clicking the arrow multiple times. I’ve got this problems on many websites, I don’t think this is related to the GW2 forum.