Bug with Swear Word filter

in Forum and Website Bugs

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Just noticed this oddity in today’s patch notes:

Fields of Ruin: Wasps near tkittenonhawke delegation are now the same level as other wildlife in the area.

I can see where some of the Charr might consider “Ebonhawke” a swear word, but rather odd to see it getting censored here.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

Ya know, these cross word kittenings make various benign posts really hard to figure out what the kitty they are talking about.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

You also cannot use a word ending in s before saying ‘hit’.

If this word filter had children, it would coat them in bubble wrap only to realize they’d suffocated.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

You also cannot use a word ending in s before saying ‘hit’.

If this word filter had children, it would coat them in bubble wrap only to realize they’d suffocated.

This is amazing, and very accurate.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Ya know, these cross word kittenings make various benign posts really hard to figure out what the kitty they are talking about.

I think maybe the filter should be loosened up a bit (stop scanning across whitespace), and the penalties for purposefully trying to bypass it with whitespace and periods should be harsh. Something like a warning and then a really long or permanent suspension of your forum posting privileges.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

I’ll also point out that to some extent, this behavior makes the forums more vulgar.

Example: some one says something like: while they’re at" "it.
This becomes: while they’re akitten.

Now, I have to sort through my head of what swear words might have triggered this, so I can determine what they were saying. I now have all these vulgar thoughts running through my mind, with the one that matched lingering in my head a bit longer.

For a good example on how the mind works in these situations, search youtube for Jimmy Kimmel’s recurring bit titled “This Week in Unnecessary Censorship”. Hilarious in a late night talk show. Disturbing in a forum like this.

PS – I’ve actually picked up on some new racial slurs from this forum. Not the kind of education I was expecting.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Apparently there is at least one thread where the URL isn’t caught – the actual text is. Might be OK if nobody checks that
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-most-kittened-up-targeting-system-EVER

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I call the forum filter, the Puritan filter. Not only does it see filth and sin everywhere, it makes you see it too.

The good thing about’ it is, it’s expanding my vocabulary of racial insults and vulgar words as well as teaching me to see the hidden vulgar words in the most innocent of places. Such as tkittenonhawke. Googled it to learn another insult. /sarcasm

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Here’s a pretty awesome one, even if it is a grammatical error:

“T H A T_ I T S” = thakittens

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

hi

The profanity filter is a little picky on the words
e.g.

hakitten = h…..@….s….. hit

In a sentence used :
The flying in this game hakitten rock bottom!
The flying in this game h….a…..s……. hit rock bottom!

EDIT ~ Oh, I understand. Sadly there is a hidden swear word on it.

I guess the only solution is to some how avoid it like I did on top.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

Hi, just want to note that it’s possible to code things so that certain words are exempt from the blanket ‘kitten censor’. For instance, the abbreviation for ‘away from keyboard’ gets censored because of the f followed by a k, which…looks like the f-word I guess?

It’s silly to have things like “want it” censored because the person typoed and left out the space, and the forum thinks they are talking about breasts.

And we all know what would happen if you wanted to talk about a certain dagger-wielding profession from GW1.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Darkorical.9213

Darkorical.9213

nevermind they seem to have fixed that one

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

If someone could remove the cesnsore from tkittenon Vanguard (Ebon Vanguard), it would be great. Pretty annoying.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve been getting around the censor by using a ’ in the word

Hakitten vs has ’hit

Looks a little funny but at least its readable.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

It’s silly to have things like “want it” censored because the person typoed and left out the space, and the forum thinks they are talking about breasts.

This piece of trash filter will do that to me regardless of the space being there – I know because I go back to edit in an underscore instead, and the space is definitely there. Of course we can see how well that works for them, since apparently all one has to do if they are trying to swear is replace spaces with some other random character. Then once they break language in general even more by having it ignore those, they’ll need to deal with phonetic alphabets and rhyming slang…

I’m surprised they don’t have us talking in pre-selected phrases yet.

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

If I type k i n g without the spaces it is censored wasn’t aware that it is an explicit.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

I’m going to have to look up some of these phrases just to find out what kind of atrocities I’m being protected from.

Does that count as a Streisand effect?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

king shouldn’t be censored and it isn’t. Filter ignores spaces anyway.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Away from keyboard IN (insert location)

That’s all it is.

akitten
Akitten
AWAY FROM KEYBORAD IN

not about the cats

You know, just uncesor it. It’s short for away from keyboard.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Just plain stupid censor.

Put in a bug report thread, and wrote “wakitten by the skill”. Yeah — the original text is “was” followed by the phrase “hit by the skill”. I’ll bet that all of the other instance of the word “hit” after any other word that ends with s is censored too.

It’s understandable to have a word censor in place. It’s plain idiotic to filter common English phrases on the off chance that maybe it forms a swear word.

Posted by: smiley.1438

smiley.1438

Imagine that kitten filter applied to a newspaper… o.O

Poor americans, must get everything filtered… land of freedom and so…

Posted by: vampirecoffee.2453

vampirecoffee.2453

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/skypirates/No-living-story-deserves-to-be-this-hard

“dragon bash” + “i think” = “dragon bakittenhink”.

Maybe add a rule to your filter where two dictionary words next to each other aren’t filtered? Just a thought.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I don’t really see why you would want to block words that are separated by a space anyway. I mean, if I want to write “who recognizes this character?”, I will have to avoid the filter with “who|recognizes” or something similar… but I could also do that to call someone a who|re if I wanted to (not like I’d do such a thing). That means filtering swear-words with spaces in between doesn’t prevent anyone from actual swearing/insulting, but it makes normal sentences hard to read because there’s kitten around every other corner.

Edit: Apparently, the “who recognizes” problem was indeed fixed; but I think there are still more words where stuff like this can happen.

(edited by Saturn.6591)

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

It appears the combination of ‘it’ and ‘it’ is on the banned word list in some situations.

‘it is’ gets turned to a feline reference when combined:

its
it’s

is thakittens usually
is that it’s usually
is that it is usually

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html
- Is this just a case of enforcing proper grammar?

Since the one without an apostrophe is actually the possessive one, and ‘it is’ is the one with the apostrophe.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

It’s because of what you get if you take a “t” and add “its”. Stuff like ’ actually manages to fool the filter; thus “it’s” doesn’t toggle it. That’s why I also don’t understand why they made the filter trigger on unwanted words with spaces in between… after all, it’s still possible to write those words with adding other stuff between letters, and all it does is messing up normal sentences.

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Sigh…

Apparently, there’s a Kookittenoo the Incredulous now.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis