Error 401: My friend can't enter the forums .

in Forum and Website Bugs

Posted by: Zalmea.7320

Zalmea.7320

My friend Attila.3459 can’t enter the forums becuse he gets some error saying
Error 401: Unauthorized ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken
He can still login into the game and do everything but can’t log into the forums so please contact him at his email or ingame .

Posted by: Ryan Alyea

Ryan Alyea

Forum Development Team

Was your friend a part of the BWE Weekends? Has he tried to clear cookies and restart his browser like the error suggests? I’m curious and trying to figure out why this occurs so I can get the fix.

If he’s technical enough to post his cookies to help debug, that would be awesome:

For Firefox:

1. Go to Firefox Options (on Windows click on Firefox on the top left then options, on Mac go to Firefox → Preferences from the Menu Bar)
  2. Go to the Privacy Tab
  3. Click Remove Individual Cookies
  4. Search for “forum-en.guildwars2.com”
  5. List his cookies. If he sees more than one “fangamer_core3”, what are the differences?

Chrome:

1. Click on the wrench icon on the top right, and select Settings.
  2. Select Settings from the sidebar on the right.
  3. At the bottom of the page select “Show Advanced Settings…”
  4. Select “Content Settings” from the Privacy Section
  5. Click on “All Cookies and Data” from the Cookies section.
  6. Search for “forum-en.guildwars2.com” in the search bar.
  7. List his cookies. Do you see more than one “fangamer_core3” in the list, if so what are the differences?

(edited by Ryan Alyea.5418)

Posted by: Sinth.1836

Sinth.1836

I ran into the same issue today. I was able to get around it by declining the code of conduct agreement once. Then I logged in again and accepted the agreement. It took several tries. I don’t know if this will work for others.

Posted by: Sareth.4516

Sareth.4516

Sinth, you are a godkittenstud muffin. I have been trying to get past that for a day or two now, and that finally worked for me.

Posted by: defektive.3540

defektive.3540

Sinth, you hero! I’ve been unable to log-in since gold, always being kicked out by the authentication token error, but declining the T&Cs then logging in again and accepting the T&Cs it worked!

Here, have a cookie you sexy beast.

Posted by: RicoJay.2591

RicoJay.2591

I never use IE on my pc, so I tried using it and it worked great. Maybe try that.

Posted by: Gransasso.9842

Gransasso.9842

sinth you are great i has the same problem then i read this post and now i m in

Posted by: Kasoon.3758

Kasoon.3758

Really does work, ty for that Smith.

Posted by: Johnny D.6739

Johnny D.6739

Thanks, Sinth. I’m finally able to log in! That’s been bugging me. Hopefully they’ll fix whatever the issue is.

Posted by: TheRealLink.3861

TheRealLink.3861

Been having this issue at what seems to be by far the most difficult forum to ever register for. If you can get to the EULA and check the box and accept, it might spit the authentication error or another Error 42 at you.

After trying numerous things, I finally got it to work by closing all IE tabs except this one (IE9 x64). Even if you see the error, on the top right it will show you logged in. Just click anything else to go to the main forums and post

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

Solved this myself. First, here’s what did not work:

1) Three different browsers on two computers and an Ipad
2) Deleting all cookies
3) Closing all other tabs
4) Trying every day for two weeks
5) Declining the Code of Conduct before accepting it

Here’s what did work:

1) Logging into my GW2 account, logging out of it, then logging into the forums

Sheesh.

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Randin.5701

Randin.5701

Here’s what did work:

Sheesh.

Huh, what d’ya know, that worked. Logged on to guildwars2.com/en, logged out, then tried to log in twice to the forums, and the second time stuck.

Posted by: Nazgarn.9472

Nazgarn.9472

Thanks Sinth! Worked a treat. What I think may of caused it was first time I forgot to select the box then accept, then attempt after that came up with the error.

Maybe that has something to do with it? Cheers.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I.. I hadn’t even thought of trying that, Sinth. That’s terrific; thanks for posting.

Posted by: Combine.3218

Combine.3218

Had same problem, for me worked logging into game, then i could accept policy without error.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Had the same problem, emailed using the link in the error message and I was able to log after a few more days. Now if I could only stop the e-mail verification every few log ins.
(i checked remember me box)

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

this was very silly. Took about 10 to 15 times using Sinth’s method

Posted by: Carcinogin.7654

Carcinogin.7654

By the gods. I am able to get in to the forums, My first time since launch, tell me this isn’t a dream.
I have tried Sinth’s method numerous times but it never worked up until today, but geez it sure took more than 15times. I thought I was always going to be the one peeking in the window with out actually going into the store. Forever destined to watch, listen, but never to speak, but alas my voice can be heard and heard it shall.
Anyways I am happy to finally be able to post on forums, i hope they are able to fix these issues.

(o.O) Mr.Snow
( * )
( * )

Posted by: Luqero.3587

Luqero.3587

I had same issue. Yesterday for like 1hour i tried different metods in different browsers without success but lucky today after few attempts Sinth’s metod worked for me.

Accepting code of conduct (or terms of use overall) is quite common thing and idk why it cause problems here.

Posted by: Malhanjia.1452

Malhanjia.1452

Had this problem for days. Tried Sinth’s method and it worked first time. Cheers

‘Some must fight so that all may be free.’ Iiommar – Guardian. Aurora Glade.

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

OMG i did it…i couldnt log in since headstart…after trying Sinth’s method for 3 days im finally able to login for the first time XD

Posted by: Tarvoskemwer.9671

Tarvoskemwer.9671

I got it working by doing the following in firefox:
options > privacy > click “remove individual cookies”
and there I removed 2 cookies relating to guildwars2.com and then I could log into english forums.

(other options, clearing cache and such as declining Code of Conduct didnt work for me – so I dug around and fixed it myself)

(edited by Tarvoskemwer.9671)

Posted by: CrimsonOmen.7865

CrimsonOmen.7865

@Sinth You are a mother kittening life saver. Been trying to log into these kitten forums for WEEKS and you’ve helped me do it in seconds. This needs to be posted somewhere so people can easily find this.

Thank you so much!

Posted by: Sir Twist.9370

Sir Twist.9370

Nope, didn’t work for me (on my other account). I have a support ticket in, but I expect it to got shoved to the bottom of the pile until it’s closed with no resolution.

I’ve cleared related cookies, restarted FFX, logged in, logged out, closed all other tabs, and tried logging in with IE.

(edited by Sir Twist.9370)

Posted by: Cotosh.4862

Cotosh.4862

Hi, bros!

A friend of mine is trying to log on this forum, but keep receiving this error as result, so, i, as a good fellow, came here to ask help.

Ty in advance.

Here comes:

Error 401: Unauthorized
ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken
Sorry, but you have stumbled upon a rare error. If you are a person (and not a bot), it could be that you have disabled cookies. If so, you must enable them to use this forum. Sometimes corrupted cookies also cause this error. Occasionally when multi-tab browsing, if you logged out in one tab, you may get this error on another tab. Close all tabs and try again. You may also get this error when leaving browser windows or tabs open for a very long time. Close your browser/tabs and try again. If this error persists, you may try to close all other browser tabs, and log in again. If the error still persists, please email forums@arena.net or contact Guild Wars 2 Support.

Posted by: Silver Chopper.4506

Silver Chopper.4506

My wife gets the same error when she’s trying to login to the forum for the first time on her PC. (error appears after accepting the forum rules)
I have not encountered this problem on my forum account, using my PC.
However, we both use the same Chrome or Internet Explorer settings. For her account it doesn’t work to log into forums.

EDIT: I tried logging with her account from my computer and we get the same error. My account works, evidently (same PC, same browser)

(edited by Silver Chopper.4506)

Posted by: deftwoatt.2546

deftwoatt.2546

2) Deleting all cookies

Here’s what did work:

Sheesh.

^^ This worked for me, tried at game launch and kept checking to see if this was fixed and finally saw this and it worked LOL.

Posted by: Silver Chopper.4506

Silver Chopper.4506

I tried all the methods posted above for my wife’s account and nothing worked so far.

I will continue to test the decline/accept thingy.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

This method worked for me:
-try to log into the forum
-when your are in the code of conduit, switch to the site page and log out from it.
-retry to log into the forum, and accept the code of conduit.

i have tryed all the methods, but only this worked for me

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Unknown.2796

Unknown.2796

Same as Ganzo, the method Sinth describes doesn’t actually work, it’s the part where you log out from the main site (in another tab) before hitting the accept button on the conduct. I did decline at first and normally this would give me the error as well but didn’t this time, so I logged in, accepted and here is my first post.

Location, location, location.

Posted by: Majadar.5462

Majadar.5462

Im not sure exactly what I did to fix this but it was some tricky combination of log in/out & clearing my cookies.

freaking ridiculous.

I tried from two computers & a smart phone all with the same problem.

HELLO ArenaNet??? LOL

PS. I still cant install the game via mac client. Respond to my support ticket (preferably not in 3 day increments)

Posted by: Morgul.1302

Morgul.1302

-when your are in the code of conduit, switch to the site page and log out from it.

That worked for me also Ganzo Thanks! Been trying to log in to forums since head start =/

I don’t know much about this kind of stuff, but considering i tried to log in from different computers with the same problem it would seem to be a problem with the account’s, and not the specific computer.

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

Sinth’s fix worked for me. I kept declining the code of conduct agreement over and over again; took about 5 tries, until it did not redirect after the decline to the 401 page. I then logged in and successfully accepted the agreement.

(edited by Zimlobo.3962)

Posted by: Pixaul.2134

Pixaul.2134

I found that my problem (Opera user) was fixed by first opening the page in IE (/me spits in the nearest gutter) and accepting the term and conditions (signifying a problem at their end as part of the code path as part of that process). I was then able to login within Opera

Posted by: DeeTooDee.3972

DeeTooDee.3972

Multiple rails apps running under the same domain, some setting cookies on a sub domain level, others across the entire domain = confusion and weird csrf prevention problems.

Posted by: ImNoir.5742

ImNoir.5742

Oghier.7419

2) Deleting all cookies

Here’s what did work:

Sheesh.

Thank you! I’ve had the same problem for weeks now and simply logging out of the account page then logging into forums worked like a charm.

Darkhaven [DW] Devine Wind

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

Had same problem, for me worked logging into game, then i could accept policy without error.

After trying out all other suggestions with no success, THIS was the one that worked for me.

Logged into the forums and displaying the EULA then logging into the game client then accepting EULA.

Posted by: ravenelle.2548

ravenelle.2548

Frankly not being able to enter the forums might have been the blessing in disguise. It’s a pit of dispair and malcontent in here.

Posted by: BLTsub.5426

BLTsub.5426

OMG, thankyou so much Oghier.7419, your suggestion works, been trying all different way to log in and did not works and finally did wat u did, and bam, NOW I CAN POST

Posted by: Night Priestess.8123

Night Priestess.8123

I tried all the methods posted above for my wife’s account and nothing worked so far.

I will continue to test the decline/accept thingy.

Wifey here
I cannot believe I managed to log in. We have tried absolutely everything that was suggested above, several times in the past few days and nothing worked. I was determined to submit a ticket tonight but I thought I’ll give it another try. I only tried once, I logged in, accepted the terms and for the first time in weeks, I was surprised to see the forums rather than the annoying 401 error.

Maybe they did something to fix it or maybe it was random luck, I guess I’ll never know. Good luck to the others experiencing this problem.

For the Toast!

Posted by: ShadowBlaze.2573

ShadowBlaze.2573

This worked for me. Thanks!

Posted by: Nekos.5903

Nekos.5903

Thank you Ganzo.5079 your work around helped
(anyone using Firefox switch over to IE temporaily for this)

Posted by: Renegade.3659

Renegade.3659

First post on the forums. Here is what worked for me, it’s a combination of both Ganzo and Sinth’s tricks. (Alone, neither of them worked).

1. Make sure you’re not playing GW2 right now.
2. Have two tabs open, one on the official game site, one of the forums.
3. Log into the forum, get to the Code of Conduct page
4. On the site tab, log out of your account
5. Switch to forums again, press Decline (don’t check the box)
6. You should be prompted to log in again, do so
7. You’re now back at the Code of Conduct page
8. Switch to site tab, refresh it and log out again
9. Switch to the forums tab, check the box and press Accept.

(Edit: I’m actually a bit hazy on step 8, try this method both with step 8 and without it)

Posted by: Night Priestess.8123

Night Priestess.8123

I think it’s a bit silly so many people have to go through so many complicated steps only to get through to these forums. They should to something to fix the User Agreement step since it’s obviously something wrong with it . How many posts and tickets have to be submitted before it gets fixed?

For the Toast!

Posted by: HazzaTL.1087

HazzaTL.1087

It has taken me nearly 20 minutes to log into this site.. keeps telling me about some “rare” error?

then, I had to authorise my location 5 times (and I checked remember this location each time).

Posted by: Snowfaerie.1945

Snowfaerie.1945

Thank you, Sinth!

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Sorry for the silence on this one, everybody. Our people have been working hard to eliminate this issue. This afternoon, we pushed a forum update that should have cleared this error up for those who have been unable to login. If any of you still have friends who have been unable to log in, please have them try at this time, and post here any successes or failures. I don’t anticipate any failures, but if there are any, we definitely want to know.

We appreciate your patience waiting for us to resolving this issue.

Posted by: TwiliteGarden.5384

TwiliteGarden.5384

After 1 week of trying I finally got in! Someone posted a simple suggestion on Facebook, I tried it, and it worked! Perhaps it’s a coincidence and maybe they fixed something on the server side since the last time I logged in but maybe not. Anyway, here is the suggestion give to me:

“Try logging into your GW2 acct first then try the forums and see if that works”

Basically instead of going to the forums then logging in there I logged into the main website first, then went to the forums and attempted to make a post. This brought me to the (forum?) login. I logged in, then accepted the license agreement, and bam! it worked.

I hope this works for everyone else as I know there are plenty of people having this issue.

Posted by: IcemanSK.2106

IcemanSK.2106

I could not login since the launch and tried various browser and advices from Arena support team.

Finally Sinth advice helped and I´m able to use forum.

It is a shame and technical team cannot solve this issue for so long and many of friends playing GW2 cannot login to forum and accept Policy without error.

Thank you very much Sinth and please Arena do something about this issue, Sharing Sinth solution with my friends in the meantime

Posted by: Slimshot.3251

Slimshot.3251

I had the same problem with 401. I cleared and allowed cookies still no dice. I am using explorer 9 on win 7. I went to tools in the right hand corner the little cog looking icon—internet options—Content—Auto Complete Settings—-I deleted auto complete history and unchecked any checked boxs in the “use auto complete for” section. I can now post.