Aspect Arena

Aspect Arena

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Nitrogen.1967

Nitrogen.1967

So i tried this Aspect Arena thing for a bit now and it’s so much fun! Turns out tho there are some ‘imperfections’ so to say. Like scores rewarded for capturing a crystal so high it’s almost discourages fighting and encourages sneaky and quick crystal grabbing. And while it might sound innocent for a capture mode, but it turns dull quite fast when you see Sun aspect adepts lightspeeding their way to victory. I understand it won’t be pvp-centered anyhow, since it would create an unwated distraction from proper PvP modes, but why make fighting this pointless? So if it was up to me i’d change both points scoring system and the way escape skills work while carrying a crystal. Be it higher evasion-bar drain or increased cooldowns, anything! Let me know what you guys think. And maybe we could get some suggestions together, or at least have our concerns answered by anet rep. We’ll see.
Cheers

Seth Bloodhorn, Blacktide

Aspect Arena

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Kill the crystal carriers before they get back to the base. Or better yet, prevent them from getting the crystals at all. (Any hit will interrupt them picking it up.)

Aspect Arena

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Sun is good for sneaky grabbing but is very poor for fighting.

Using aspect of lightning you can intercept the crystal carriers with their storm ability and kill then rather easily. Alternatively, you can camp a choke point ambush them there.

Also don’t underestimate the power of lightning pull which allows to make shortcuts that the light rush cannot.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Aspect Arena

Posted by: Hydroclasm.8572

Hydroclasm.8572

Have to agree with that. I love the arena, but points are so heavily weighted towards crystal caps. The only thing I’ve seen kills used for are as tiebreakers with an even number of caps from both sides.

Also, Sun is actually pretty good at fighting from what I’ve experienced. As long as you stand on top of the person you’re fighting the autoattack does rather high damage, the blind is useful (especially vs the lightning charge up attack) and the stability allows you to cross the lightning cages and not get knocked around by wind adepts. The black hole ability is a bit tricky to use effectively – most of it’s damage comes before detonating the star, but then you can use the pull effect with your aoe.

Aspect Arena

VodCom.6924

Also, Sun is actually pretty good at fighting from what I’ve experienced. As long as you stand on top of the person you’re fighting the autoattack does rather high damage, the blind is useful (especially vs the lightning charge up attack) and the stability allows you to cross the lightning cages and not get knocked around by wind adepts. The black hole ability is a bit tricky to use effectively – most of it’s damage comes before detonating the star, but then you can use the pull effect with your aoe.

Maybe we should add this info on the wiki page ^^

My experience with the arena is that I usually win duels when I’m lightning and my opponent is sun. Why ? Maybe they’re all bad ? Maybe, I’m very lucky ? Maybe.

I noticed that sun players are easily lured out of their bastion (since they need to be close to do damage, note that even in the best case scenario, their auto-attack damage is inferior to lightning) which open them up to a stun with the shock aura followed up by the charged lightning attack.

Very few people are actually able to use their nova. The ones who did use it correctly owned me more than once.

That’s my personnal experience anyway.

Aspect Arena

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I feel like it’s fine, the combat is more centered around denying and securing the crystals than it is a total death match, as most CTF modes work lol.

My personal aspect of choice is Wind, so much maneuverability, they’re good at fighting, and they’re sure as hell able to leg it when kitten goes wrong.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Aspect Arena

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Where is this thing anyways?

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Aspect Arena

VodCom.6924

Where is this thing anyways?

Go in labyrinthe cliffs, skydock waypoint, there is an npc that will lead you to the aspect arena.

Aspect Arena

Nitrogen.1967

Using aspect of lightning you can intercept the crystal carriers with their storm ability and kill then rather easily. Alternatively, you can camp a choke point ambush them there.

Also don’t underestimate the power of lightning pull which allows to make shortcuts that the light rush cannot.

imo Sun is pretty grand in terms of fighting aswell AND has a perfect escape tool, which btw isn’t stopped by lightning’s storm – you just dash thru it.
Side note: haven’t investigated shortcut possibilities for lightning yet.

It feels like Sun and Lightning are the most balanced and fun to play. These two comboed are total beast at all. And Wind is more of a runner than a fighter? Wind Sphere has great damage and interesting mechanic, but i’m not sure how easy it is to pull off during fights. Either way i like that all aspects are pretty unique.

Aspect Arena

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Sun is my favourite Aspect. While you won’t win against a good Lightning user, you can deal a lot of damage with Sun in close combat, coupled with your DoT skill and black hole. (The trick is to detonate the black hole BEHIND your opponent. The most potent use of it is to fight at a precise distance so your foe keeps getting pulled back to the black hole, interrupting their attacks while you keep on blasting them.)

There are also a couple of spots where you can grab a crystal and then get back to your base with just 2 Light Dashes, making them the king of crystal running. With a bit of practice, you can easily switch from crystal runner to combat, making you incredibly versatile and able to adapt to the changing battlefield.

Aspect Arena

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

imo Sun is pretty grand in terms of fighting aswell AND has a perfect escape tool, which btw isn’t stopped by lightning’s storm – you just dash thru it.
Side note: haven’t investigated shortcut possibilities for lightning yet.

It feels like Sun and Lightning are the most balanced and fun to play. These two comboed are total beast at all. And Wind is more of a runner than a fighter? Wind Sphere has great damage and interesting mechanic, but i’m not sure how easy it is to pull off during fights. Either way i like that all aspects are pretty unique.

Winds damage per attack is really really low except on the sphere, which is really easy to use imo.

However, Winds autos snare (stacks), they have a knockback, and more importantly, when they jump into the air, they gain quickness for the entire time they’re airborne, and for a brief duration when they land, not to mention it makes LoSing impossible during their “berserk” which is great!

Imo, sun is only -ok- at fighting 1v1 but are extremely good at running the crystals and fighting with allies around.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Aspect Arena

Posted by: ESKan.6782

ESKan.6782

It’s a shame they didn’t fix Wind aspect. if you interrupt Become The Wind before its channel ends, it puts itself on a 3-second cooldown instead of 10. The game becomes way too easy to cheese like that.

That said, Wind is still my favourite aspect. Tornado is the only skill that can onehit people because of ledges.

[PD] – Far Shiverpeaks.
Nameless Inversion/Ascension/Evasion/Ruination/Impression/Perdition/Compassion/Tactician
Guild Wars 2 will be an amazing game when it’s finished. Compare Prophecies to EotN!

Aspect Arena

Nitrogen.1967

There are also a couple of spots where you can grab a crystal and then get back to your base with just 2 Light Dashes, making them the king of crystal running.

That’s where this topic basically came from. If there is 1-2 Sun guys on the other team they just build up 100-150 point lead ASAP and then you can’t compensate anymore.

It’s a shame they didn’t fix Wind aspect. if you interrupt Become The Wind before its channel ends, it puts itself on a 3-second cooldown instead of 10. The game becomes way too easy to cheese like that.

Isn’t it expected game mechanic? Like when you get interrupted you just have that skill on a smaller cooldown? At least that’s what i’ve noticed. Wiki page says – 5 seconds tho, maybe they had to scale it down for this one.