I miss the Festivals in GW1

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

Hi!

I just want to say that I miss the festivals in GW1. They were something I was looking forward to. Mostly because they had lots of drops that I found useful in the game. I was chasing cupcakes, corn, eggs etc.

Unfortuneatly I must say that the festivals in GW2 haven’t been close. I’ll give you that I often find them better as event but I really miss the actual impact the festivals in GW1 had.

I would suggest tilting the rewards a little from the mini/skins department and to give us something that most of us would see as useful and wanted for PvE. Those consumeables that used to drop were really nice. I would Think it totally OK if I couldn’t use them in PvP and/or WvW. But even consumeables giving like +35 % MF, or +10 % movement or +20 % exp – better than today – would be something to strive for and look forward to when they come back as events. Well, I don’t really know. I just remember that the festivals in GW1 actually gave me something I wanted to have for the rest of my gaming year instead of the items now that most of the time just fill up my storage, or just get deleted.

As it is now the thing that make me want to do Boss Blitz is the achievement points and nothing else. At the moment I haven’t event managed to make myself do all 10 Boss Blitz to complete that achievement but I’ll probably force myself to do 2 more.

I am happy some enjoy the festival but I bet I am not the only one feeling there isn’t that much fun and party to this festival…

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I know how you feel. They just lack something that festivals in gw1 had, I wouldn’t necessarily agree with not being rewarding, but I would be happy if we saw new hat skins for wintersday and halloween. I also really hate the plots of all the festivals in gw2, and it does bum me out the festival minis are gem store only but oh well.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

All I remember about GW1 festivals was afking on nine rings until my computer overheats.

Maybe nine rings should return?

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

Skeleton farming on halloween for party title and easy experience for legendary survivor title come to mind.
Also snowball fight outside eotn.

As said in the op: you could farm certain consumables that counted to titles and/or were just useful consumables ingame: candycorn, eggs, cupcakes, apples… I used them all and farmed them while they were available. And I did have fun with that. Plus, people that didn’t need them could sell them off to others.

With the dragon bash festival in gw2 I also farmed the event to get the easy to get, yet useful, consumables. I think they should put more lvl 80 useful consumables in with events. They will be cheap to get during the event, but later their price will rise; leveling the price with the crafted consumables again.

I would change my tokens for food consumables or alternative sharpening stones/oils/crysrals right now, if they were available.

And it would add a bit of meaning to grinding the events, other than achievement points.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

I didn’t mind the festivals in GW1 but as nekretaal has stated some of the events were hardly impressive.

People tend to look back on things with romantic eyes and recollect ‘the good old days’.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Easy solution. Go play GW1 if you miss it that much.

That’s what I do when I miss DaoC.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

A Massive Headache.1879

Or better solution, try to get gw2 improved.

I remember very fondly of all the holidays. I remember on halloween we had simon says with MKT, who was also written better, with all those silly consumables, who could ever forget the ghost in a box. I remember wintersday when we had to travel the map to make freezie, and then the snowball fight was amazing, and the snowball quests, both the defense one and attack ones were a lot of fun, attacking being more challenging, and even near the end of gw1 being updated the balthazar vs melandru was really cool. as well as the god participation. I remember during american thanksgiving having the pies and april fools, and the golden eggs on easter that counted as rare drops, and of course the obvious canthan new year with the 2 of the best things: Rollerbeetle racing, and real Dragon Arena, and the wurm collecting mini game was really cool too, never cared for the nine rings actually, but the minis that came along, the celestial ____ I loved the way they were done.

Another few things that were added near the end of gw1 being updated was the nostalgia of going back to places I had almost forgotten about to get the hound of balthazar ranger pet and then rollerbeetle racing to get a rollerbeetle pet. they were so great.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do know what the OP is talking about, and we actually got a taste of this during 2012 Halloween and Wintersday. Festival stuff dropped like rain; it felt like we were essentially being given goodies because “it’s a festival! Enjoy!”. Players who liked the candy and snowflakes could either save them for their own use, or sell them to other players who wanted them.

By the time Dragon Bash rolled around though, the reward system had changed from having oodles of free goodies that were fun/useful in and of themselves, to requiring them in massive amounts to buy the “real rewards”. (Jorbreakers, and later Candy Corn Cobs.) It changed the feeling of the festival from a “giveaway spree” to a “massive grind”, and I do feel that it’s ruined the carefree, happy atmosphere the festivals used to have.

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

I loved festivals in GW 1, because they felt like a festivals. They were special occasions what bring something new to the non-changing game. And that’s why they felt so special and they have so good memories in many GW 1 players mind.

In GW 2 there is Living Story, what change game nearly every 2 weeks period. So GW 2 is always changing, and that way all festivals suffers emotionally inflation. When game change all the time, festivals don’t felt anymore anything.

GW 1 was stable game what didn’t change so often, so that’s why festivals were so unforgetable when they happened. In GW2 there is happening too much during the year, and festivals are just one happening/change in a game and it does not feel anything anymore.

It is like child with million christmas presents. In some point that child does loose his/her interest to the presents. He/she is emotionally exhausted and just open those presents without feeling. In that way presents have been suffering emotionally inflation.

Teon.5168

I remember very fondly of all the holidays. I remember on halloween we had simon says with MKT, who was also written better, with all those silly consumables, who could ever forget the ghost in a box. I remember wintersday when we had to travel the map to make freezie, and then the snowball fight was amazing, and the snowball quests, both the defense one and attack ones were a lot of fun, attacking being more challenging, and even near the end of gw1 being updated the balthazar vs melandru was really cool. as well as the god participation. I remember during american thanksgiving having the pies and april fools, and the golden eggs on easter that counted as rare drops, and of course the obvious canthan new year with the 2 of the best things: Rollerbeetle racing, and real Dragon Arena, and the wurm collecting mini game was really cool too, never cared for the nine rings actually, but the minis that came along, the celestial ____ I loved the way they were done.

Another few things that were added near the end of gw1 being updated was the nostalgia of going back to places I had almost forgotten about to get the hound of balthazar ranger pet and then rollerbeetle racing to get a rollerbeetle pet. they were so great.

Trying to get GW2 more like GW1 is not my idea of “improving” it.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: dansamy.3752

dansamy.3752

I just want dodge ball back. Please!

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

Ah…9 rings <3 I actually quite enjoyed that. The small victory of leaving your character logged in doing the rings overnight and waking up to find yourself magically still participating without having run out of tickets!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ah the good old days….

Swimming in booze and candy and DP removers…..

Need a speed boost in town or around your GH? Pop a chocolate bunny

Need a stat boost? Here’s a golden egg and some candy corn

Need to remove some DP from heroes or want a moral boost? Here’s some rainbow candy canes and honeycomb

Need a hp and e boost? Have a candied apple or a cupcake

sigh

Maybe I’ll play GW1 when I get home tonight…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

A Massive Headache.1879

Gw1 had tons of great ideas and many better implemented systems, it still had rng but it wasn’t bad. If they took more of the good from GW1, the game would be much better.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

IMO what GW2 seems missing most of the times is the.. “Soul” of a Game.
It doesn’t feel as real as GW1 overall. Yes, because the things isn’t outworked well enough, and even if GW1 had mutch less, the lack of details drived us to immagine mutch more to it, like reading a book or something.

And in the topic of Festivals, they have no depth, just as the Lore itself.
Its not active enough imo.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

GW1 festivals, to me, were either ‘stand in the corner in 9 rings’ or ‘go to even district for Dwayna item’. Even though the Lore really did try to build them up.
Maybe the occasional beetle racing, but nothing really too exciting otherwise.

Though I do miss having the Gods show up, I also do love GW2’s Aspect Arena and Dodgeball.
Maybe if there were different events from each race, that would help me enjoy the festivals more. So I do love GW2’s festivals over GW1’s, but I do acknowledge that the latter’s were more fleshed out. Then again they were more fleshed out because we were only humans in the game.

I want to see how the Sylvari, Charr, Norn, or Asura celebrate things.
Sure we have Keg Brawl for the Norn, but what about Polymock? Certainly in the 25 years or so the Sylvari have been alive some tradition should have sprouted up at least once.

GW1 had the advantage of one race, but the disadvantage of not being interesting after that. GW2, inversely, has more than one race but not enough of their own activities to flesh them out at the moment.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Teon.5168

Gw1 had tons of great ideas and many better implemented systems, it still had rng but it wasn’t bad. If they took more of the good from GW1, the game would be much better.

That’s your opinion. I like most of what Anet has done with GW2. I would not enjoy an update/rehash of GW1. If I wanted to play GW1, I would be playing GW1.

Besides that, I seem to recall the devs stating that GW2 was not going to be GW1 updated when GW2 was about to be released. Sorry that you wanted an updated GW1……obviously, GW2 is not that game.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

A Massive Headache.1879

That’s your opinion. I like most of what Anet has done with GW2. I would not enjoy an update/rehash of GW1. If I wanted to play GW1, I would be playing GW1.

Besides that, I seem to recall the devs stating that GW2 was not going to be GW1 updated when GW2 was about to be released. Sorry that you wanted an updated GW1……obviously, GW2 is not that game.

Ok, so you’re suggesting we revert the wardrobe? Why stop there, let’s remove all festivals, let’s get rid of mesmer, necro, warrior, ranger, and ele too.
kitten , use your brain. GW1 had many good ideas, and if you’re going to just blindly dismiss that, what are you doing on the forums? By asking for improvements, that were in the previous game, isn’t asking for it to be a rehash of gw1, it’s asking for them to take a step back and think if it’s the right direction.

Teon.5168

Ok, so you’re suggesting we revert the wardrobe? Why stop there, let’s remove all festivals, let’s get rid of mesmer, necro, warrior, ranger, and ele too.
kitten , use your brain. GW1 had many good ideas, and if you’re going to just blindly dismiss that, what are you doing on the forums? By asking for improvements, that were in the previous game, isn’t asking for it to be a rehash of gw1, it’s asking for them to take a step back and think if it’s the right direction.

Like I said before…..that’s your opinion, not mine. /shrug

And I like how you have read so much more into my posts than was ever written. Where did I say anything about wardrobes, deleting characters, etc?? You must be clairvoyant, to magically pull so much from my posts.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

A Massive Headache.1879

And I like how you have read so much more into my posts than was ever written. Where did I say anything about wardrobes, deleting characters, etc?? You must be clairvoyant, to magically pull so much from my posts.

You read into my posts, I bs read into yours. the wardrobe was how the gw1 costumes worked, you could have as many of them for your entire account, there were many features that made it from that game, because you didn’t know and didn’t get my post.

Teon.5168

You read into my posts, I bs read into yours. the wardrobe was how the gw1 costumes worked, you could have as many of them for your entire account, there were many features that made it from that game, because you didn’t know and didn’t get my post.

I will try harder.

I have already seen GW2 take more of the good things from other mmos, and fix or not use bad elements of other games. If what you’re asking is for them to just incorporate some nice things from GW1, as well as other mmos, then I am all for that…..at least to a certain extent. Not to the point where it would change the current identity of this game.

jmo, of course.

Oh yea, and thanks for getting in game and whispering to me that I am a kitten…….certainly very adult of you, Bitterbur…….. lol……..

Have a nice day, anyways!

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)