New Living Story, unfriendly to new players?

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Ilium.3160

Ilium.3160

With all the talk about no loot from the enemies in Queen’s Gauntlet it has gotten me wondering about how difficult completing some of the rewards are to new or newer players.

Right now both Living Story zones are not as active with players as would be expected for new content, especially the Crown Pavilion. After completing the Boss Blitz 5 times and finishing all the boss and regular mob achievements, as well as the event instance I have a grand total of 67 Entrance Tickets. How is a new player supposed to complete the bosses in the gauntlet with so few tickets?

Now, I do not plan on returning to the pavilion unless the drops on the mobs are improved and I know many who share my sentiment. The enemies in the pavilion also have a horrid drop rate for the Entrance Tickets, I have probably gotten at most 10 from regular mobs. Which is awful given the amount that I have killed. Most players require more than one try on the bosses to complete them, add into this to the fact that a new player likely has zero experience fighting enemies solo of that difficulty.

Farming the mobs is not very feasible since most are grouped and require more than one person to kill them and hardly anyone is there to help. If you are lucky there will be a group to kill the boss that spawns but they are not interested in killing the adds and given the atrocious drop rate, it would likely take a person longer to kill the mobs to get enough tickets than it takes to kill the boss. And as more players complete the achievements it is very likely that noone will bother to kill the bosses at all.

Now I know that you can buy Entrance Tickets with Festival Tokens, 5 Tickets for 35 Tokens + 20silver. But even this seems unfair to new or newer players. Keep in mind that most of these players have missed out on prior Living Story skins and rewards and will likely want to use those tokens to purchase those. As well as the gold cost, it is also very likely that new players won’t have a large amount in the bank. It seems to me that many players will have to choose between competing in the gauntlet or purchasing the skins.
Tickets are also a possible drop from Zephyr boxes, but the drop rate is also not very high. Also, since these require crafting materials to purchase, this is also skewed towards veteran players. New players are unlikely to have a large amount of materials saved up, as well as smaller bank accounts to purchase the materials off the Trading Post.

So, given all of these things, along with many of the problems with this Living Story event brought up in other threads on this forum, completing the Gauntlet event seems to be made less possible to newer players given the difficulty in acquiring tickets. Now, I don’t know how long the event will last, but the longer it lasts the less players that will participate and the more difficult it will become to acquire the necessary tickets to complete it.

My solution is to increase the drop rate for Tickets and Tokens from all enemies. Or even remove the need for a ticket to fight in the gauntlet all together.

(edited by Ilium.3160)

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

Anet Has changed their name to CarelessNet. MOST the Players that made this the fastest selling MMO. Have either moved on or are waiting for something good from them. They seem more concerned with new players(they Know nothing of the un answered HYPE) wich equals $$$.( Nothing they have said about this game has come to fruitation. NOTHING!!!

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

(edited by NYG.2568)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

One thing they did do for new players is lower the Bazaar level from 80 to 15 with downscaling.

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

I have been hearing alot of this from new players how this game seems unfriendly to them. I had the game at release so i really have no idea how it is for someone completly new to the game. My characters are either maxed or close to it. I couldn’t tell you whats changed at all.

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

I have been hearing alot of this from new players how this game seems unfriendly to them. I had the game at release so i really have no idea how it is for someone completly new to the game. My characters are either maxed or close to it. I couldn’t tell you whats changed at all.

Its hard for newbies because the Original Core of players are just like us Leveled up been there done that,moved on.. So those new ppl have noone to play with making it harder..Most may come back for LS2 but..Will it be worth it? Almost 2 years later not much is better not much is new..And being what their track record has been. Even if a paid expansion was released. I dont think I’ll purchase it, as im sure others feel the same!

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

That is good. Let the new players get the facts early on so they don’t waste two years playing this# like some of us.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet