Really, really disappointed

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Niels.5396

Niels.5396

First off I would like to say I love the update, The gauntlet and the Zephyr Sanctum were up there in my favorite updates. I love the return of this update, but there is one thing I am extremely disappointed about. It’s the return of the account bound rewards from previous LS updates. All the prestige associated with them, the rarity of seeing them, it’s all gone. The only way to distinguish yourself now is with gold. Farm a lot and buy the most expensive items. That’s it. There is nothing to show that ‘you were there’ even though that’s EXACTLY what those account bound items were for.

I am just really disappointed with the decision to return the account bound items.

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

I totally agree. I spent hours getting my Sclereite Karka Shell and before everytime I saw someone who also had it I knew, this guy has been around at least as long as me. He/She put it as much effort as I did… I understand people are sad that they missed some cool skins in the past. But thats the point… YOU MISSED IT! While you were off playing other games we were sticking with GW2 through some awesome and some terrible living story updates.

Why should I bother going for LS2 unique skins when I can just catch them all at the end of the year wrap up?

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I can understand where you are coming from but I’d like to remind you that when southsun living Story was active everyone was running around with that pieces.

So I expect that once the novelty of the items wears off those skins will be as special as before.

Posted by: Niels.5396

Niels.5396

No they won’t be. In 1 year we might be able to get them again and maybe not. Imagine we won’t be able to get them anymore. If you see someone it still means they might have gotten them in this month instead of at the south sun release. That makes a world of difference. There is no prestige connected to it to show you were there. It is only a rare item now. That’s why they have been ruined.

There are plenty of other obscure items out there if you want to show off that way. That isn’t the point of the account bound stuff. It’s to show YOU were there, playing GW2. Not that you invested time into GW2. Time/Gold=> obscure/ rare/ expensive items.
With 1 patch they reduced all items to the same catagory. That’s what’s so disappointing.

(edited by Niels.5396)

Pirlipat.2479

Well, many people were arguing back then that those items were to easy to achieve and the the prestige was not high enough etc. So I think it is a perception thing what you see as prestigious. For me it’s a nice souvenir about an update that I personally liked alot and a cool item not so much something to show off.

Btw.: I’m not saying that I don’t understand you I’m just saying that I see it in a different way.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Static.9841

Static.9841

I can understand where you are coming from but I’d like to remind you that when southsun living Story was active everyone was running around with that pieces.

So I expect that once the novelty of the items wears off those skins will be as special as before.

The novelty seems to wear off as soon as a new backpiece or whatever skin is rewarded in place of the previous one.

I think in this instance, the reasoning is most likely because of the China launch and them obviously missing all of LS season 1, this is just an opinion however.

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Sigh, the “prestige” argument again. “Forget them, I got mine!”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think I’ve got all the Living Story items (can’t check now) and I use many of them but I’ve never thought of them as prestige items. “6 months ago I did 15 easy achievements!” isn’t anything to brag about. They’re just nice skins/items. (Or ugly skins that will sit unused in my wardrobe.)

I’d much rather someone else be able to get an item they really want and “ruin” my “prestige” than they have to miss out on something they want so they might possibly one day be jealous that I’ve got it.

And that goes for everything. Living World skins, gem store items, limited-time promotional give-aways like the Wizards hat (which most players only got because the forums threw a tantrum that new players were getting something they couldn’t have), everything in the game should be attainable by everyone who is playing. (Note: I said attainable not easy, the mini Liadri is a good example, it came back but you still have to beat her to get it, before anyone complains about newbies being “given” their rewards.)

If it was up to me they’d all be available periodically at least, if not permanently, and many more would be tradeable so players who get them and don’t want them can sell them to those who do. (To me that’s a win-win, I can get rid of items I don’t think I’m going to use, players who want them can buy them and if I ever change my mind I can buy another one.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

While I understand your feelings on the matter, I’ve never been one myself to feel that items should be limited time. I’ve never liked that. I have most of the items already via the LS content.

However they take so many tickets to get even one item, I don’t see many casual players being able to get these.

One of the things that really bugs me about this game is how you have to do the same thing over and over ad nauseum to get fluff appearance items. Meh.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

This is why free to play or buy to play MMOs are all the same (Except The Secret World). At the end of the day the focus of the game will be the cash shop and GW2 has proven to be no exception.

Personally I can’t even bother to login to at least get the daily. Kind of disappointing that this game is going downhill so fast and I bet the living story season 2 will be another big disappointment. If the devs haven’t leaned anything by now then they are not going to change the new gem store content model of the game.

But on the good side, I just pre-ordered a new MMO coming out soon with a one year subscription up front. Hopefully that will help to erase my disappointment in this game. The latest patch is nothing more than a shameful display of the game which is hard to recognize compare to when it was released….

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: DeamonSamurai.6504

DeamonSamurai.6504

I totally agree. I spent hours getting my Sclereite Karka Shell and before everytime I saw someone who also had it I knew, this guy has been around at least as long as me. He/She put it as much effort as I did… I understand people are sad that they missed some cool skins in the past. But thats the point… YOU MISSED IT! While you were off playing other games we were sticking with GW2 through some awesome and some terrible living story updates.

Why should I bother going for LS2 unique skins when I can just catch them all at the end of the year wrap up?

This is what I’m talking about, last time was last time this is now, lets see something new to achieve or gain without having to play the lottery. I don’t mind a little grinding as long as the results are not random but definative (do this…get this). Not do this 1000 times you might get that. I mean I know I missed the last round of fun but I’m here now as well as other that were here the last time. lets see something new we can all achieve together in a massive ZERG! lol

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I agree, it isn’t like these items had special stats, just skins. They were “I was there” items and now they aren’t. Now they are “I was either there or I went to the Festival of Four Winds and farmed a bunch of tokens to buy the skin” items.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

More New Player Love…$$$$$$$$$

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

This is why free to play or buy to play MMOs are all the same (Except The Secret World). At the end of the day the focus of the game will be the cash shop and GW2 has proven to be no exception.

Personally I can’t even bother to login to at least get the daily. Kind of disappointing that this game is going downhill so fast and I bet the living story season 2 will be another big disappointment. If the devs haven’t leaned anything by now then they are not going to change the new gem store content model of the game.

But on the good side, I just pre-ordered a new MMO coming out soon with a one year subscription up front. Hopefully that will help to erase my disappointment in this game. The latest patch is nothing more than a shameful display of the game which is hard to recognize compare to when it was released….

You do realise that TSW’s item store is basically the same thing as the gem store, but you can also actually get actual stuff like BiS signets, epic augments and etc from a lockbox right?

How is any of this related to the gemstore anyways? Are tokens on sale in the gem store? Is the content locked behind the gem store?

Static.9841

Well, many people were arguing back then that those items were to easy to achieve and the the prestige was not high enough etc. So I think it is a perception thing what you see as prestigious. For me it’s a nice souvenir about an update that I personally liked alot and a cool item not so much something to show off.

Btw.: I’m not saying that I don’t understand you I’m just saying that I see it in a different way.

Always makes me chuckle.

What prestige? Nobody looks at another player who obtained an LS item and thinks “oh wow, that guy was there at the event, how awesome” At best, you’ll have people think “oh that’s a nice skin” and that’s it. lol prestige, please.

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

What prestige? Nobody looks at another player who obtained an LS item and thinks “oh wow, that guy was there at the event, how awesome” At best, you’ll have people think “oh that’s a nice skin” and that’s it. lol prestige, please.

Ehm… I do.

I used to think, “Karka Shell – awesome, he’s been at that event!” or “Fervid Censer – cool, so jelly, I wish they gave us a chance to reacquire it!” and so on; and now that I simply exchanged hoarded mats for tokens and got those skins which people were receiving for achieving things (even if those things were trivial) during a special event, and I can actually receive all of them if I simply spend more gold, I feel like those skins lost their charm.

Human psychology… a weird beast.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Iretha.7625

Iretha.7625

Always makes me chuckle.

Exactly.

When I see someone wearing that god-awful Sclerite Karka Shell skin I don’t think of prestige, or that it’s a backpiece that only hard-working GW2 veterans can have. I think “Oh that skin.. that’s still in my bank I think…. I remember it took me two days to get that skin.. what a waste of time.”

I’ve been playing this game since beta. Closed beta. I was there for all the living story updates, got all the skins and every. single. achievement. That I could be bothered to get. I don’t give any kittens about new players having to pull their hair out at how many tokens they need to farm to get any skins they’ve missed when all I needed to do was log on for like, an hour a day, for two to five days, and log off for an easy-mode skin.

Meanwhile, my friend worries about how he could POSSIBLY manage to farm his butt off just to have enough tokens to buy all the skins he missed. In my opinion? He’s working harder than I, or any other player who got those “prestigious” skins ever have. Good on him, and if at the end of each living story event we can have a Bazaar event that will let you buy all the stuff you missed (or get two Infinite Watchknight Tonics because you’re worth it) more power to anet!

…Prestige my kitten. Skins like that shouldn’t be exclusive to a small, select group of people. If you want to keep your “Look I was there!” ‘prestige’ use a title or something.

(edited by Iretha.7625)

Static.9841

Ehm… I do.

I used to think, “Karka Shell – awesome, he’s been at that event!” or “Fervid Censer – cool, so jelly, I wish they gave us a chance to reacquire it!” and so on; and now that I simply exchanged hoarded mats for tokens and got those skins which people were receiving for achieving things (even if those things were trivial) during a special event, and I can actually receive all of them if I simply spend more gold, I feel like those skins lost their charm.

Human psychology… a weird beast.

But you’re coveting the skin, not giving prestige.

The skins lost their charm at the same time as everyone and their dog acquired them from the event and you saw everyone wearing them, there’s no prestige in that.

Out of all the events, the only thing I was really happy to have achieved was beating Liadri the first time around and getting the mini, it’s good that they’ve fixed a lot of aspects about the fight this time around, but that fight was hard when it was originally introduced, so I was glad to have done it back then.

(edited by Static.9841)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

So, you are not happy about an item because you actually like it, but only when you know that others can’t have it ?

I will never understand that i think. The Karka Shell was ugly for hell for me, and i would never wear it, even if i am the only one in the world who owns it.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Static.9841

So, you are not happy about an item because you actually like it, but only when you know that others can’t have it ?

I will never understand that i think. The Karka Shell was ugly for hell for me, and i would never wear it, even if i am the only one in the world who owns it.

If this is aimed at me, no. That’s not what I was saying at all. I just pointed out about the only thing that I was proud of achieving, but even then, I don’t buy all this prestige nonsense.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If this is aimed at me, no. That’s not what I was saying at all. I just pointed out about the only thing that I was proud of achieving, but even then, I don’t buy all this prestige nonsense.

No .. was more aimed to the startpost

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

Always makes me chuckle.

Or in the case of that specific backpiece skin (sclerite) : “Oh god, who the hell would wear such an ugly thing?” Although I was actually “impressed” to see someone wear something other than those god awful spinal blades the first time I saw someone with a sclerite…

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

I’m in the camp that wishes they would have just stayed exclusive to the times they were originally available.

But now that the floodgates have been opened, WHERE IN THE %$&@ is my second chance to get the Ghastly Grinning Shield.

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

I personally think it’s great that newer players have a chance to fill up their wardrobes with older skins so they can create as many cool and unique gear combinations as possible. I actually find it a bit strange that someone would want anything other than that.

Gandara

Static.9841

I personally think it’s great that newer players have a chance to fill up their wardrobes with older skins so they can create as many cool and unique gear combinations as possible. I actually find it a bit strange that someone would want anything other than that.

Some people want to be unique and special snowflakes despite the fact that thousands of people already have the same items from LS that they do…..

Pirlipat.2479

Always makes me chuckle.

Or in the case of that specific backpiece skin (sclerite) : “Oh god, who the hell would wear such an ugly thing?” […]

I :P

Attachments:

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Pretty much this.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Your right.

We should dull all content down, make it so that everyone gets everything they want and completely shaft the veteran players at every opportunity.

Kasima.8143

Your right.

We should dull all content down, make it so that everyone gets everything they want and completely shaft the veteran players at every opportunity.

Oh look! A slippery slope! Or is it a false dilemma? Or a straw man? Or all three?

I think you broke the legal limit of logical fallacies that can be contained in a single argument.

Static.9841

Your right.

Please tell me what was difficult about the Southsun event to get the 2 backpieces, or the Flame and Frost event to get the Fused Gauntlets etc

Kasima.8143

Always makes me chuckle.

Or in the case of that specific backpiece skin (sclerite) : “Oh god, who the hell would wear such an ugly thing?” […]

I :P

To be fair, I get the concept behind your character (macabre, with that staff) and it fits quite well.

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

I have a new word for this sort of thing;

Commmunism Wars 2; Everyone is equall.

I dont really mind them giving these skins to newer players, but jeez, can i ever find something original in this game that i can actually mold my character around instead of seeing 200 people with the exact same armor skins.

I mean, i really dont feel like that ‘awesome hero’ if everyone looks just like me.

Same with legendaries it kind of ruined it for me in that sense. Still not sure if i want to go for my bifrost or not, since everyone already has it. Doesnt feel legendary to me if 200 ppl wear the same staff (needs way more legendary type skins so people can never farm them all and theres always a next step in regards to collecting.)

This game is about skins right? Then howcome i feel everytime theres a new cool skin on the block asif im in another game wich just released and expansion where you can now further level up fromm 60 to 70! Eventually everyone has done it, everyone will wear it, everyone will get bored of it… And then the next cool skin comes along, same story all over again.

I get that anet wants us to keep playing but this is getting kind of stale.

The only way i feel special now is when i wear my celebration hat, but in reality it makes me seem ‘special’ in all sorts of different ways when i wear it on my female char..
(its one of the only skins that has not returned allong with a few others wich i will not mention in fear of anet actually realising it and also communisticly adding that to a new vendor with X type currency in a new release)

Im not asking for a super overpriced skin or 1 super rare item. im asking for multiple incredibly hard to get items to get that feeling of seeing someone with a legendary in the first few weeks of gamerelease when i see it.

Chaos of Lyssa, I love it, its rare, gives you a feel of ‘Wow where did you get that’ and the entire price speaks for it. RNG dropratetactics, not so much.

Where is my super rare spawn boss wich only spawns every server maintance wich no one even dares to touch cuz its too hard with a big treasure chest deep inside of its cave. Or is the idea of actually having a goal to achieve in a non farmy way not cassual enough?

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Now if only we could have bought the Chaos of Lyssa recipe from the same vendor for 1600 tokens and Favor.

But no, that one has to be tucked away in a specific gauntlet box at 0.00000001% chance. >_<

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Your right.

Please tell me what was difficult about the Southsun event to get the 2 backpieces, or the Flame and Frost event to get the Fused Gauntlets etc

By veteran players he probably means all those who play the game for long enough, not those who happened to join a week before the event started and now can get that stuff too.
The skins rarely are THAT good, but they show that the player who is wearing the skins played the game at least since that LS-release. I can understand that some people want to keep it this way.

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

Your right.

Nothing prestigious about RNG. This isn’t even gated based on skill or anything. If you get lucky you get it, if not then you don’t.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Your right.

Oh look! A slippery slope! Or is it a false dilemma? Or a straw man? Or all three?

I think you broke the legal limit of logical fallacies that can be contained in a single argument.

/sarcasm

Then you’d probably get it.

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

I think you’re just being selfish. That’s pretty sad.

There is nothing prestigious about the items you mention. Whatever your mind makes them out to be (elite, prestigious, hard to earn, whatever) is pure nonsense. Your own mind is your downfall in looking at them this way.

These items are intended to be awarded, used and enjoyed by ALL players at the time of the event (I want to stress ALL players). That’s the purpose. When the next event’s item is available, the old item goes out and gets replaced by a new item by ALL players.

I personally like my old 8-track player, cassette deck, VHS VCR, etc., even though they just accumulate dust on a storage shelf in my basement. Would I ever haul them out and use them again? Probably not. Are they prestigious because I was one of the first to buy them when they came out? Certainly not. Would I object to someone buying the same one I have at a rummage sale down the street? Of course not.

Your mind is what is making you think they’re prestigious. They’re not. As another player, I’m just thinking you’re selfish for not wanting others to enjoy these items.

(edited by Icealen.3802)

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

First off I would like to say I love the update, The gauntlet and the Zephyr Sanctum were up there in my favorite updates. I love the return of this update, but there is one thing I am extremely disappointed about. It’s the return of the account bound rewards from previous LS updates. All the prestige associated with them, the rarity of seeing them, it’s all gone. The only way to distinguish yourself now is with gold. Farm a lot and buy the most expensive items. That’s it. There is nothing to show that ‘you were there’ even though that’s EXACTLY what those account bound items were for.

I am just really disappointed with the decision to return the account bound items.

The halloween skins from the first halloween should come back. And the halloween dungeon where we farmed Mad King. I hope they let the Chinese play that because it was awesome.

I also don’t like how us and China have seperate economies.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

the OP is dead right, anet needs to stop re releasing items its hurting the player base, its already bad enough that most things in this game are cosmetic only, its even worse that i have no way to show my skill or how long iv been playing

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Most of these items took no real skill to acquire. Just many hours of free time.

For me, it was sobering to see how many of these items I already had. Not many options for me to spend my tokens on.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ Hehe, I know what you mean. The only things I can purchase that I don’t have already are the Zephyrite Helms (which I still don’t quite like the look of, so I’ll probably skip them again) and the 3 super-expensive consumable recipes (which I skipped last time because I wasn’t going to spend 5g each on them for ridiculously expensive consumables, but I may get now just for completion’s sake since I have nothing else to spend the Festival Tokens on).

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

Come on, guys, those items aren’t anything special. It took me less than 1 hour to get the karka backpiece, since you just could google the positions of those plants or whatever they were. And i bet almost everyone did it that way.
It’s not like they are selling the halo or the devil horns – that’d be really wrong! Or the green and yellow SAB Weapons…

By the way, giving value to something is almost always an idealistic thing.
It seems to me like some of you try to claim that acquiring prestige equals acquiring self-esteem.
“Hey look, i got this super doober mega crazy sparkly backpiece, and you don’t, that means i’m better than you. Don’t know how or why exactly though, but that’s how logic works.”

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

(edited by Clyan.1593)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Nothing wrong with these items being available again. And this coming from someone who acquired most of those items during their LS.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

Everyone had their chance to get all the skins, When the game was released. If it was your choice at the time to not purchase it.Then by all means YOU should have missed out. There now is nothing to show for the people who have been around since launch. Instead we are getting recycled old content to lure in the new players. It’s as If Anet is slapping the Players whom made them the fastest selling MMO in the face!
I have nothing against new players…The more the merrier! New friends new faces and all…But what do I have to show for being in games since Beta week One…A game nearly 2 years old taking up space on the HD. Nothing really new or good..Just recycled crap for sales….

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You know, maybe I’m just too old to understand this mentality, but… there’s prestige in virtual items in a game that you don’t actually own?

Seriously, Anet could suddenly file for chapter 11 tomorrow and all that prestige will vanish with the game. That’s just how ephemeral the prestige associated with any virtual toy, title, or achievement is; getting fussed up over it is silly at best and unhealthy at worst.

Just continue to enjoy the game and grouse about things that actually prevent you from enjoying it, like crippling lag or game-breaking bugs.

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

I was just happy to be able to repurchase the 2 skins from the karka event as I had transmuted over them.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Now if only we could have bought the Chaos of Lyssa recipe from the same vendor for 1600 tokens and Favor.

But no, that one has to be tucked away in a specific gauntlet box at 0.00000001% chance. >_<

This is kinda funny because right above you is someone complaining about everyone getting all the cool new skins every time so they’re boring.

So, which version do you prefer?

We could also have superuniques, btw. First person to get it (guaranteed reward for some crazy-kitten difficult thing) has it and no one else can ever get it unless that person doesn’t log in for 2 weeks or so (then they lose it).

EQ had superuniques IIRC. Not a good concept overall, but it would work as far as prestige goes.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Kasima.8143

Always makes me chuckle.

The best thing about this update besides the fact that newcomers will get to play what they missed is that it will kitten off people who like that “prestige”.
:D

Posted by: Djino.6198

Djino.6198

i hated it, hated every bit of it, especially the part where im screwed out of everything i worked for so long for, kitten this whole game