why the new pavillion does not work

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

it’s actually a very simple reason. expecting hundreds of random people who don’t know each other very well to work together is probably one of the most unrealistic expectations ever.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Lightsbane.9012

well i giggled. thank you.

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

It’s not hundreds, it’s closer to 60-70. And it’s not hard. It actually requires a very basic level of communication. No specialized builds needed (though having a couple people who know how to use reflect helps a lot).

The problem is that people would rather complain on forums about how their loot was nerfed than cooperating with the people around them to claim their EASY 8 champ bags every 15-20 minutes or so.

Kegmaster

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

It’s not hundreds, it’s closer to 60-70. And it’s not hard. It actually requires a very basic level of communication. No specialized builds needed (though having a couple people who know how to use reflect helps a lot).

The problem is that people would rather complain on forums about how their loot was nerfed than cooperating with the people around them to claim their EASY 8 champ bags every 15-20 minutes or so.

I’d say the majority of players are doing what they’ve always done: flocking to the Blue Dorito, autoattacking while doing other things on a second monitor, and expecting a huge reward.

Oh, and ignoring mapchat completely.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

open world raiding is pointless

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

fyi, you could of just done this

Attachments:

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Yeh, most players don’t even post on the forums. >_>

And no, it’s not easy to get a bunch of random people who don’t know each other to work together, If it was I would think there would be a lot more success.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

How does it not work? I think it amazing.
5 other Commanders and I just organized and progressed all the way up to 30 seconds off of Gold. It isn’t hard.
Just don’t be lazy and command better.
It’s a step in the right direction compared to last years follow the Dorito and zerg type of thing.
I love the Pavilion this time around.
Just stop expecting to get everything handed to you without working for it.

timmyf.1490

How does it not work? I think it amazing.
5 other Commanders and I just organized and progressed all the way up to 30 seconds off of Gold. It isn’t hard.
Just don’t be lazy and command better.
It’s a step in the right direction compared to last years follow the Dorito and zerg type of thing.
I love the Pavilion this time around.
Just stop expecting to get everything handed to you without working for it.

I tried a couple times. Everybody zerged on one tag anyway. We couldn’t get 6 people to tag up.

I even tried – for the entire time between two runs – to get a group of 10-12 to join me on TS to do Boom Boom. Not a single person responded to me.

I’m giving up for a few days and hopefully people will learn the event.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

… sounds like … work.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Maybe it’s just me, but the particle is overwhelming. All I see is a giant mess of mashed polygons that make it indecipherable to tell what is actually going in there. It is like we’re all attacking one big giant ball of scramble light spectrum’s. Just my 2 cents worth.

Serelisk.6573

The new Crown Pavillion is working exactly as it’s supposed to. Those who’re willing to put in the extra effort to coordinate with their guild, server community, or game community at large can set up a farm for themselves where they can reap 8 champ bags and 50 festival tokens every ~20 minutes or so.

Kegmaster

Lightsbane.9012

The new Crown Pavillion is working exactly as it’s supposed to. Those who’re willing to put in the extra effort to coordinate with their guild, server community, or game community at large can set up a farm for themselves where they can reap 8 champ bags and 50 festival tokens every ~20 minutes or so.

that’s all it is? back to wvw i go. while the rate of champ bags isn’t 8 every 20 minutes(although it can be) it’s definitely a more reliable way to get them.

Posted by: Tyops.5894

Tyops.5894

Step 1 – Release a megaserver plan that:
a) Makes it nigh impossible for large communities/guild to get together on the same instance;
b) Downgrades the usefulness and value of community wide communication for PVE tools like server TS servers etc. (many servers had them); and
c) Removes the sense of shared community and desire to cooperate as a server.

Then…

Step 2 – Release content that works best if 1a, 1b and 1c are present.

Step 3 – Profit?

NSP Why bother?….

(edited by Tyops.5894)

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Nope, I disagree completely and support the opposite of your point.
Mindlessly following the blue tag while doing something else is not what I want from this game. The game needs to be challenging enough to require people to start paying attention, communicating, getting organized, and playing beyond just spamming 1. That’s a terrible culture to develop in a game, and I’d like to see it do a 180 from that.

Serelisk.6573

The game needs to be challenging enough to require people to start paying attention, communicating, getting organized, and playing beyond just spamming 1. That’s a terrible culture to develop in a game, and I’d like to see it do a 180 from that.

Plus one.

Kegmaster

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Not everyone knows how to do that(including myself), I have tried countless times and just can’t figure it out(call me dumb).

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

On the plus side, when I last entered the queens pavilion there was about 10 people in my shard, so there was always a free gauntlet room open – let me get that new liadri title without having to wait between lag death attempts.

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

You need to have people motivated to farm those rewards and usually people just grab some achievements and leave. Or they bring their uplevels and don’t spawn back at WP even if you tell them. Having a tag only means you spent 100g and most would rather just show how cool it is to have a bunch of tags at the same place. I’ve been able to grab a dozen people from the zerg and burn down a couple bosses. I’ve also lured people that just farm the mobs. You can be a zergling and farm mobs and in like an hour have 12 achievements when 14 gets you the meta reward.

Sure conceptually this is good stuff, you need to learn the bosses, learn your class, and everyone gets good rewards. But the achievements and previous content push players into some wicked bad habits and this isn’t really breaking them of it. I’ve guested on some other servers in hopes of getting some PVE commanders that are good (who knows what this does for megaservers, I do get into different Pavillions though) and no luck. The best I can do personally (no tag) is get people to split up into two groups but this is more a matter of “huh this is taken forever and we landed on bronze a long time ago” and not “oh really? split up and we get good loot?”

So there are a few pavillions that get it and it’s awesome, but most of them are doo doo and without an easy train it seems like people just got their cheevos and split.

So I sort of agree with you but there is a problem here

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

Lightsbane.9012

Nope, I disagree completely and support the opposite of your point.
Mindlessly following the blue tag while doing something else is not what I want from this game. The game needs to be challenging enough to require people to start paying attention, communicating, getting organized, and playing beyond just spamming 1. That’s a terrible culture to develop in a game, and I’d like to see it do a 180 from that.

to be honest, that’s what i want. but unless that’s in the game from the beginning, there’s not much practicality.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

So 60-70 people donate 10g to get 8 Champ bags? My bad, there is no way that all 70 people are donating. No thanks. Oh, and it isn’t donating. It’s an arbitrary gold sink. Then when you get the item for the weapons in there when you are done with the meta, you get to spend another 6-10g or so. That isn’t a reward.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Not everyone knows how to do that(including myself), I have tried countless times and just can’t figure it out(call me dumb).

I post on an iPad. If there is a way to post a gif using an iPad, I haven’t run across it yet.

Posted by: wingofbenu.4316

wingofbenu.4316

and everyone who doesnt have access to those resources for whatever reason can do nothing but give up because the large guilda and ’server communities" dont give a flying kitten about us.

Posted by: Thareen.5471

Thareen.5471

and everyone who doesnt have access to those resources for whatever reason can do nothing but give up because the large guilda and ’server communities" dont give a flying kitten about us.

Trust me, they (we) tried. We do this everyday on Tequatl. Most random players are just lazy and hope they will get the rewards by afking or pressing one all the time instead of just listening to the commanders.
Joining these communities is actually easier then most think. GW2Community for example. Just google it.

@Topic
Marionette 2.0
Getting a bunch of randoms to actually split up evenly between 6 commanders and listen to them… escpecially nice since most players did not lift the automated language block. Headache incoming.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There are no more server communities. Megaserver, remember?

Anyway, 8 champ bags every 20 minutes is awful. And of course, you didn’t mention the buy-in.

Thareen.5471

There are no more server communities. Megaserver, remember?

They still exist, but most don´t advertise anymore that they do, plus it´s harder to recruit anyway. Also the cross-server communities still thrive… yet.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’d say the majority of players are doing what they’ve always done: flocking to the Blue Dorito, autoattacking while doing other things on a second monitor, and expecting a huge reward.

This is unhelpful. If they do this, they will die. This is not the problem with the event. The problem with the event is that if they go to the bosses, and pay VERY close attention, and do EVERYTHING right in their own fight, they still get no reward because dozens of other players zerged something else and the scaling all goes out of whack.

Stop with the lazy “the problem is all those people just spamming 1” excuses, that has NOTHING to do with this particular event or the complaints people have about it.

That’s the problem right there. You shouldn’t need ANY commanders to do pug content, if you log in to the map then it should be achievable. If there is to exist any content in the game that needs organization of this level, then it should be an optional mode that players can opt into, with no greater rewards than the pug version. You should have to play well yourself, you should have to pay attention to survive and pull your own weight to achieve a reward, but you should not have to rely on dozens of other players splitting up into evenly balanced parties.

Which is bad for the game. This is not that game. There are other games that are about hardcore raiding kind of activities, this IS NOT THAT GAME. This is a FUN game, it’s one where you should be able to log in, enjoy yourself, and be rewarded, not one where the encounter becomes an hour long slog with NO rewards at the end of it because the server you happened to log into didn’t have six commanders and a bunch of well informed and organized players on it. I’ve spent about three hours running Boss Blitz, participated in about 9-12 boss kills personally, spent about 20-25 silver on WPing after death, and only ever seen about 4-5 tokens and 1-2 tickets in return for my efforts, NEVER a completion reward. It is probably the least satisfying time I’ve ever spent playing this game, and it absolutely ruined a night in which I did a lot of other very fun things that would otherwise have made it a great night of GW2.

Joining these communities is actually easier then most think. GW2Community for example. Just google it.

I Do Not Want to join a community. I could join a guild, I have no interest in doing so. I want my community to be whomever is on when I log in, I just want that to WORK, and that is on ANet to provide. I do not want content that requires coordination, the event itself should enforce whatever coordination it requires, not just fail you if you don’t provide that coordination yourself.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

In all fairness, last night I was stuck in an instance with dozens of people who spoke a language I could not identify. Due to the new server system, we no longer find ourselves with players of the same language.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

#OpenWorldContent

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Where are those crowds of people you could organize? Yesterday i couldn’t find enough to kill two bosses at the same time. Forget about 6.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

timmyf.1490

In all fairness, last night I was stuck in an instance with dozens of people who spoke a language I could not identify. Due to the new server system, we no longer find ourselves with players of the same language.

I might as well have been with players speaking a different language. Of the 40+ people participating, I’d get responses from maybe 1 or 2. (Not counting my 3 guildmates who were working with me.)

Unwillingness to communicate seems to be widespread within the GW2 playerbase. That, plus ArenaNet’s insistence on creating events which require communication, is leading to major issues.

Curious whether we’ll just have to keep banging our heads against the wall or if Anet’s strategy will change.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I agree entirely. There’s unwillingness to communicate, and there’s people of different nationalities who can’t communicate with each other properly. With the Megaserver system I’m guessing Anet wants us all to play together, but if that is the case, why make content so reliant on communication?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I like the way they are taking things, but with a large community they need to take it slowly or make the idea obvious so the drones can pick up on it seeing there has been months of zerg for the lootz mentality.

Said it on another topic but they need to color code the boss icons on the mini map to show the level of scaling that is happening so there is some indicator on where you are needed.

Thareen.5471

Disabling the kitten language filter would help a lot.
Just tried to organize it public with a few other commanders, total chaos.
Instead of equaly dividing between the commanders one had almost all while the others only had a few. Zerging seems too popular.
This is why the ones who can organize it are fed up and rather wait until they can do it without stress with the guild.

P.s. without blue dorito it´s the same thing.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Step 1 – Release a megaserver plan that:
a) Makes it night impossible for large communities/guild to get together on the same instance;
b) Downgrades the usefulness and value of community wide communication for PVE tools like server TS servers etc. (many servers had them); and
c) Removes the sense of shared community and desire to cooperate as a server.

Then…

Step 2 – Release content that works best if 1a, 1b and 1c are present.

Step 3 – Profit?

So much truth in this. Honestly I love the event, I think this LS stuff is great. But these megaservers are just throwing a wrench in the whole thing.

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

Joining these communities is actually easier then most think.

Actually, it is not. It’s not enough to “join a community”, you also have to be able to join them in game, i.e. manage to get in the same map, which presents a whole other problem besides the issues raised by OP, thanks to the oh so marvelous megaservers. Your solution isn’t a solution, it’s a problem in itself. Finding a clean map in which your community can all join in is the hardest thing in the game right now. Harder than all the bosses in the game. It’s ridiculous.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

It’s kind of ironic that anet released the perfect example of how the megaserver system did nothing to help the issues with open world raids, and in some ways made it worse. This morning I was sitting around spamming “join in x” just like i did at tq’s release.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Thareen.5471

These communties acutally try everything to get their members to the map.
Also these communities cooperate with each other and make sure that they are not on the same map blocking each other. But first you would have to join one of these communities.
Players that self organize is a myth. Sure sometimes it happens, but it is rare.
Also sometimes there are some precursor drops, they are rare too.
With most players i encounter ingame i have the feeling that they misunderstood the requirement for that game in terms of age with IQ. No offense.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

ANET still has not learned. These large events that need good coordination should not be part of living story. Those events should be something accessible for guilds and is a perk for the guild.

Living story events have a mass number of randoms and the fights need to take that into account.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Maybe it’s just me, but the particle is overwhelming. All I see is a giant mess of mashed polygons that make it indecipherable to tell what is actually going in there. It is like we’re all attacking one big giant ball of scramble light spectrum’s. Just my 2 cents worth.

I’m using “best performance” settings. And I must say..no particle effects…..
________
anet should’ve learned from the knights. if you dont FORCE people to split, they won’t.

They need to do the same thing, colour buffs (or something) that allows you to fight said boss, and limit the number of people who can get that buff.

Another thing, ALOT of people have mapchat off, and it can be crucial to events like this, anet needs to force that on if people are in the vicinity of these events.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Several attempts we not only missed gold, when we could have barely gotten it, but also silver because pugs would not listen and all zerged Boom Boom. Even having the people who were originally there leave didn’t help.

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

These communties acutally try everything to get their members to the map.

Yes and it still fails because of the poor megaserver system. That’s what I’m saying. It’s not normal that TTS has to waste 15 minutes on every boss and in the CP to try to find a map, get their people on it and still not being able to get all their people on it. Like rfdarko.4639 said just above your comment, people still need to spend an unholy amount of time spamming join x to get in those maps. Joining the community isn’t enough, there is still the issue of joining the maps ingame.

Thareen.5471

Ya, i complained about that in another thread.
There is a difference between a guarentee and an very high chance contrary to no chance at all.

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Megaserver + complicated raid dynamics = FAIL We haven’t had our next installment of new LS yet with MS, Four winds is just a little fluff bit for the new Chinese players, I can hardly wait till they release new LS with MS, the forums are going to be a bloodbath… Spoon

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

Megaserver map location solution- a method

Transporters- Specific task is to ferry in forces. These players will function as a conduit for transportation of organized forces to the correct map.

Process- Transporters are partied prior to event beginning. They are also identified and the list of their names is published for the event. Party of five transporters enter the event, assemble on map then separate into individuals. From that point forward everyone processes through the transporters by joining party, moving to map and dropping party as fast as possible.

Refinements could include setting the transporters as commanders, having each particular class process through a particular transporter, establishing a rally point and a standard party to be formed after transportation has been completed.

End state – All participants in the community / guild / multi guild event in voice comms. Published transporters listing and methods of organizing who uses which transporters on the server website under the scheduled event. Transporters execute map jump then sigil up and take proper physical positions. Remaining force processes onto map and reform for action.

This is a method. It shouldn’t be that hard but a bit of planning and organization should allow for a community to adapt to the megaserver framework. If the living story is popping every 20 minutes then work the drill 6 times in a row and make refinements each time. After the 6th time take a break and discuss changes then do it again and see if that resolves the previous challenges.

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

The problem is that the bosses are HP sponges and some of them have really annoying mechanics.

The Pirate? Fine, l2dodge
The Bandit? Ditto
The Destroyer? Accept that you’re gonna get downed
The Flame Legion? Accept taht you’re gonna die.
The Ogre? Hope you equipped the right weapon and aren’t using runes of fire, or you’re gonna be standing around a lot.
The centaur? Everyone loves bosses that run away and huge invulnerable chain knockdowns coming through.

Lightsbane.9012

well it doesn’t help that the bosses scale up when there are a ton of players around them. i’ve gone through about 10 overflows trying to find people who will run it effectively. all ten have been failures. i’ve gotten used to the idea that there are better ways to farm the loot i need.

Serelisk.6573

Which is bad for the game. This is not that game. There are other games that are about hardcore raiding kind of activities, this IS NOT THAT GAME. This is a FUN game, it’s one where you should be able to log in, enjoy yourself, and be rewarded, not one where the encounter becomes an hour long slog with NO rewards at the end of it because the server you happened to log into didn’t have six commanders and a bunch of well informed and organized players on it. I’ve spent about three hours running Boss Blitz, participated in about 9-12 boss kills personally, spent about 20-25 silver on WPing after death, and only ever seen about 4-5 tokens and 1-2 tickets in return for my efforts, NEVER a completion reward. It is probably the least satisfying time I’ve ever spent playing this game, and it absolutely ruined a night in which I did a lot of other very fun things that would otherwise have made it a great night of GW2.

I Do Not Want to join a community. I could join a guild, I have no interest in doing so. I want my community to be whomever is on when I log in, I just want that to WORK, and that is on ANet to provide. I do not want content that requires coordination, the event itself should enforce whatever coordination it requires, not just fail you if you don’t provide that coordination yourself.

You do not have to join these communities, you just have to coordinate with them. All this requires is the barest amoutn of communication between you and others on the map.

You’re making this out to be like a hardcore raid when it’s not, you just need to be willing to work together with other people. With more effort than it takes to just stand next to them.

Kegmaster

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

ANET still has not learned. These large events that need good coordination should not be part of living story. Those events should be something accessible for guilds and is a perk for the guild.

No. Guilds already have too many perks. Guilds should not have perks. They should be ways to coordinate people who want to hang out together, but they should not be a free loot parade for people who join them. There are already too many rewards that are either exclusive to guilds or much easier to achieve with guilds, they need to pare these back, not add more of them.

You do not have to join these communities, you just have to coordinate with them. All this requires is the barest amoutn of communication between you and others on the map.

Bull. I spent that last hour in Boss Blitz screaming at the top of my lungs that the zerg needed to split up, that X boss needed more, that Y boss needed less. What was the result? As near as I could tell, 5-10 of us took down Boom Boom in about five to ten minutes, meanwhile about 30-40 players were zerging the centaur, and none of the other bosses were touched. Then my group moved on to another boss, while the zerg all moved to another together, again even while I and a couple others were shouting that they really needed to split up a bit. At the end it was three bosses up, then the zerg finally split in two to work on the last two, it was a mess, and when we finally downed the last boss we were all richly rewarded with jack and squat (which are not rare minis). Coordination does not work when the players refuse to be coordinated.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”