Achievement points and luck

in Fractured

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

In the past two weeks I’ve done 7 full fractal runs and brought my personal reward level from 30 -> 36. In that time I got Jade Maw twice and Mai Trin 5 times. I never got the Molten Firestorm fractal so that I could get the 5 achievement points for it. As an achievement hunter this is troubling for me, and now with the Wintersday update, the Fractured! achievements are no longer available.

It’s not realistic to expect players to complete achievements by luck, or forcing them to beat the first 3 fractals over and over again in the hope of getting the last level they need. I’d like to see the time for Fractured! get extended to one month instead of two weeks.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

in Fractured

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

I concur, simply because they did a big overhaul on the Fractals. If they want to draw attention to them it should at least be up for 4 weeks. I wasn’t even expecting it to disappear since the last updates were all month long ones (granted I never tried looking for the end date). Seems like a waste to only have the Fractured! achv up for just the one patch, since that is the attention getter/crowd gatherer.

in Fractured

Posted by: Winky The Wonderful.1578

Winky The Wonderful.1578

Yea, it’s extremely annoying that they can’t give us a End Date when they do Living Story content or at the very least, put a timer on the achievements panel. There is one for Dailies and Monthlies, so it can’t be that hard to add. I expected it to last 4 weeks, REGARDLESS of the name “Fortnight.” It’s extremely annoying that we can’t get a reply on the Forums from a Dev when people ask about the time/dates/or half the other things people ask. I for one had too much going on between Thanksgiving and Family gatherings for the holidays to really have a chance to sit down and do the FOTM runs as many times as this apparently required to get all of the Living Story Fractured Achievements done. I ran 10+ sets in the 2 week period and never once got the Underground Fractal. I really want to like your game ANET, but lately you are giving me all these reasons to try something else.

in Fractured

Posted by: wizzy.6871

wizzy.6871

was there even a reason to remove this living after 14 days? I can’t play fractals every day all day and I was mising Mai Trin and Dredge Fractal.
After 10 runs Mai Trin was never there and now fractured is over

in Fractured

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

~10 runs and I had all but 3 fractals completed
5 more runs for aetherblade fractal
5 more runs for thaumanova reactor
30 more runs for molten facility
chosen fractals are NOT random

in Fractured

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

I understand completely. In fact, I wish I could’ve gotten the Molten Boss achievement (leader DC’d just before it and ppl quit, didnt get it since then). The achievement category should’ve stayed longer, but it’s cool. I can deal with not getting EVERY SINGLE AP.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Fractured

Posted by: Refeuh.8493

Refeuh.8493

Same here… I’ve done my share of Fractals, and I already had 400+ before the update, but I never got the Jade Maw during the Fractured event :/ Since other achievements have been staying for quite a while, I was really hoping this would stay a bit longer

Please bring back the achievements ! If it involves RNG, at least give players a fair chance of getting them all.

(edited by Refeuh.8493)

in Fractured

Posted by: Twyki.6019

Twyki.6019

it bugs me like crazy too. fractured already gone oO? .. didnt got the molten facility after like 10 runs -_- i am quite annoyed right now

in Fractured

Posted by: Excell.1042

Excell.1042

So, after 3 hours of pre patch fractal running, and not getting the achievement, all i’ve got to say is WTF-anet?! Like, you put boss fractals in, fine, but dont make it RNG, also, wasn’t it supposed to be 4 weeks for every living story? Or, no, sorry, I forgot, you give a 2 hour of content patch “Tower of Nightmares” which should jsut be called “Tower of Endless farming” a 6 week playtime, but something as tedious as Fractals, a 2 week? Logic all the way.

in Fractured

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I did manage to get all the achievements, but I really sympathise with you guys. Having achievements locked behind RNG is NOT the way to go.

That said, the name “Fractal Fortnight” should have been a dead giveaway that it was only going to be around for two weeks. Still, I heartily support a suggestion of having a timer beside a particular meta achievement to let us know how much longer we have to complete it.

in Fractured

Posted by: TPenny.5071

TPenny.5071

I did manage to get all the achievements, but I really sympathise with you guys. Having achievements locked behind RNG is NOT the way to go.

That said, the name “Fractal Fortnight” should have been a dead giveaway that it was only going to be around for two weeks. Still, I heartily support a suggestion of having a timer beside a particular meta achievement to let us know how much longer we have to complete it.

The “Fractal Fortnight” was just called Fractured for me, nothing else said 2 weeks, at least not clearly. It seems like most people understood it was 4 weeks. As did I.

in Fractured

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The meta itself was called Fractured!, yeah. But each of the individual achievements in it was labelled as “Fractal Fortnight”.

in Fractured

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

To update my original post, what a slap in the face that I finally got the Molten Firestorm fractal today, the day after the living story ended. 1/8 fractals and it had to be the last one after two weeks.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

in Fractured

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

In the past two weeks I’ve done 7 full fractal runs and brought my personal reward level from 30 -> 36. In that time I got Jade Maw twice and Mai Trin 5 times. I never got the Molten Firestorm fractal so that I could get the 5 achievement points for it. As an achievement hunter this is troubling for me, and now with the Wintersday update, the Fractured! achievements are no longer available.

It’s not realistic to expect players to complete achievements by luck, or forcing them to beat the first 3 fractals over and over again in the hope of getting the last level they need. I’d like to see the time for Fractured! get extended to one month instead of two weeks.

By playing 7 times the fractals, you had 5.4% chance to not get a specific fractal. That means that for every 18 players who played 7 fractals total, 1 was bound to not get it, statistically speaking.

You should have identified that pattern earlier and tried a bit more. I would feel you if you had played one run a day (meaning 14 runs, meaning 0.03% chance), but in this case, I don’t think you tried hard enough.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in Fractured

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

By playing 7 times the fractals, you had 5.4% chance to not get a specific fractal. That means that for every 18 players who played 7 fractals total, 1 was bound to not get it, statistically speaking.

You should have identified that pattern earlier and tried a bit more. I would feel you if you had played one run a day (meaning 14 runs, meaning 0.03% chance), but in this case, I don’t think you tried hard enough.

Not exactly sure how you’re getting that specific number (it’s still early and my brain is still booting up). But I don’t think you’re factoring in how different fractals are set now. (or if you are, then the OP isn’t when thinking that 7 fractals is enough).

1st: Aquatic Ruins, Swampland, Urban Battlegrounds, Uncategorized.
2nd: Uncategorized, Snowblind, Urban Battlegrounds, Molten Furnance, Cliffside.
3rd: Aetherblade, Volcanic, Thaumanova Reactor, Underground Facility, Cliffside.
Boss: Solid Ocean, Molten Boss, Captain Mai Trin Boss

So, you can take Thaumanova Reactor as a freebie because its part of the story.

You can also take all 4 fratals from the first fractal out because you can reroll them until you get the one you need.

That leaves us with:
2nd: Snowblind, Molten Furnance, Cliffside.
3rd: Aetherblade, Volcanic, Underground Facility, Cliffside.

You may also be able to throw away all the 2nd fractals too, just because you can always roll swamp at level 1 and win within minutes. Then if you don’t get a good 2nd fractal just repeat.

So really the hardest ones to get are:
3rd: Aetherblade, Volcanic, Underground Facility

These 6 fractals, in groups of 3 (and remember there are really 5 options for round 3 which makes your chances worse).

For the boss fractal you have a (2/3)^7=5.85% chance to not get one of the three bosses after 7 runs.

For the 3rd fractal (assuming you just need those 3), I don’t feel like doing the correct math, but it should be easier to miss one of these than for the boss fractals (just because there are more options to choose from). So it is quite possible to miss a couple of fractals if you did a “small” number of runs.

All of that aside, if you just look at the options: The absolute minimum runs it would take (not doing any above “tricks”) is 3 full runs, the story, and another first fractal. So basically 4 runs. No offense OP, but 7 isn’t really statically likely to give you all the ones that you need.

Finally, who really cares? You were able to get the meta without luck (thanks to the daily fractal runner) and some could argue that the reward wasn’t worth it. I’ll do all the achievements I can during a limited release, but it won’t bother me if I miss 1 or 2 because of time constraints. If I see something, I’ll go for it, but I won’t not have fun to gain AP. Besides a little bit of gold/laurels, the only thing good out of the AP rewards are a skin (and you only need so many before you don’t like any of the remaining ones) and the account wide bonuses (these I really like). Oh, and 400 gems every 5k achievement points.

I guess I just don’t really have sympathy for AP hunters. I think I was able to get all of the achievements within the 10-12 runs I did during the release, but I was never trying to get all of them, I was just getting to PRL 40.

Finally, this is a lot more forgiving than the previous releases in terms of randomness. I’m happy that Anet is making it easier to get the meta rewards (I just wish that they’d set the standard so that you can get the meta in day 1 if you have the time, and not require you to do dailes to get, though for month+ long metas I don’t see it too bad requiring a couple of dailys, meh). If you remember the scarlet invasions, those were a random hell. Waiting for the 1 or 2 that you needed to randomly hit, and if it didn’t you had to wait 1 hour before the next try.

in Fractured

Refeuh.8493

Please note that most people who complain, including myself, are, from what I understand, doing so from a “completionist” point of view. We don’t hunt achievement points (I couldn’t care less for actual point values) and we don’t argue about the “meta”- rewards ; we only want what we believe would be a fair chance to at least get all the achievements that are being added to the game.

If I spend 50 hours trying Liadri 8 orbs and still fail, that’s my fault for not being good enough. If I don’t get an achievement because a pseudo RNG-based system I have no control over decides not to give it to me, that’s more problematic.

in Fractured

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Not exactly sure how you’re getting that specific number (it’s still early and my brain is still booting up). But I don’t think you’re factoring in how different fractals are set now. (or if you are, then the OP isn’t when thinking that 7 fractals is enough).

You’re not sure where I get those from, but you do the exact same computation? Nice

The difference in results is that I rounded 2/3 to 0.66, but the computation is the same and both the result and interpretation are similar to mine.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in Fractured

Wallace MacBix.2089

You’re not sure where I get those from, but you do the exact same computation? Nice

The difference in results is that I rounded 2/3 to 0.66, but the computation is the same and both the result and interpretation are similar to mine.

;-p It wasn’t exactly the same and that’s why I was confused. Also, I’m tired most mornings before I have my caffeine.

in Fractured

Wallace MacBix.2089

Please note that most people who complain, including myself, are, from what I understand, doing so from a “completionist” point of view. We don’t hunt achievement points (I couldn’t care less for actual point values) and we don’t argue about the “meta”- rewards ; we only want what we believe would be a fair chance to at least get all the achievements that are being added to the game.

If I spend 50 hours trying Liadri 8 orbs and still fail, that’s my fault for not being good enough. If I don’t get an achievement because a pseudo RNG-based system I have no control over decides not to give it to me, that’s more problematic.

Ah, sorry. I didn’t mean to lump you in with something that you aren’t. Most people I’ve seen complain, just because they want to be #1 on the leaderboards. Since I don’t see myself as a true “completionist” I do find it hard to relate to that mentality. It mostly comes down to time.

Still though, I would rather have this randomness over what it has been at various times in the past. You are right that it sucks if you don’t know you’ll finish on run 4 or run 15, but it technically still comes down to time. 50 hours for lidari (time spent to improve yourself) vs. 50 hours in fractals (time spent on rnd chance). I’m not saying it’s perfect, but as the person above me first pointed out, it wasn’t that improbable to not get the boss you needed after only 7 runs.

in Fractured

Refeuh.8493

I am not the person who claimed having done only 7 runs. But I do get your point.