We Do Not Like Scarlet Briar

in Fractured

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

With so many struggling writers out there in need of a job, Anet should simply kick this utterly poor team who produced Scarlet and employ someone with even an ounce of sense and skill.

From update to update, I just wish they would give us something worth the original game…

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Fractured

Posted by: Luminarin.2301

Luminarin.2301

I really DO like Scarlet Briar and the lore behind her as well as her possible connection to Elder Dragons. (Her dream, etc.)

However I DO NOT like how she is introduced to us in the game and how is she written, thus – I DO NOT want to see her in this game anymore UNLESS the story around her will get more mature, mysterious and fantasy-like.

in Fractured

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Trying to stay constructive.

Saying that there are more players who like her; or, conversely there are more players who don’t is conjecture. No matter who says it: us or ANet. Any statistics about how many players do the content are also useless (because loot, levels and AP are other reasons players could engage in this content).

How do we get out of this sticky situation and have a final word on how the playerbase feels about Scarlet? Put it to an in-game vote at the end of the Scarlet arc.

As an example: Shodd has performed more work on the Infinity Ball and has found two new realities. He can use the device in one of two ways:

• Imprison Scarlet in a reality not to different from hell. She may be able to find her way back to our reality at some point in the future. This is the option that players would choose if they like Scarlet. “Justice in the form of revenge.”
  • Everyone escapes to a reality where the EDs had successfully wiped out intelligent life, Scarlet remains in the original one alone. All permanent Scarlet content (<cough> Thaumanova) is reworked to exclude her, this is the option that players would choose if they don’t like her. “Justice in the form of solitude.”
Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Fractured

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

I like Scarlet.

in Fractured

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

U do not like the character or the gameplay it created? Bcos i like the character but i really dont find the gameplay any fun at all.

I do not dislike Scarlet personally – there’s not enough character in there for that. I have some problems with gameplay (though not with Thaumanova, not yet anyway), but those are generally not connected to the Briar Weed debacle. What i dislike is the poor quality storyline, that pushes badly made characters into places where they really shouldn’t have appeared, and turns GW2 history into a badly written fanfic.

Trying to stay constructive.

Saying that there are more players who like her; or, conversely there are more players who don’t is conjecture. No matter who says it: us or ANet. Any statistics about how many players do the content are also useless (because loot, levels and AP are other reasons players could engage in this content).

How do we get out of this sticky situation and have a final word on how the playerbase feels about Scarlet? Put it to an in-game vote at the end of the Scarlet arc.

As an example: Shodd has performed more work on the Infinity Ball and has found two new realities. He can use the device in one of two ways:

• Imprison Scarlet in a reality not to different from hell. She may be able to find her way back to our reality at some point in the future. This is the option that players would choose if they like Scarlet. “Justice in the form of revenge.”
  • Everyone escapes to a reality where the EDs had successfully wiped out intelligent life, Scarlet remains in the original one alone. All permanent Scarlet content (<cough> Thaumanova) is reworked to exclude her, this is the option that players would choose if they don’t like her. “Justice in the form of solitude.”

Ah, so you’d give us a bad option and a bad option? Yeah, that would fit the Scarlet storyline perfectly [/sarcasm]

The option that would satisfy me? Scarlet is trampled by a passing herd of Moas, and dies alone, offscreen. She is never mentioned again. Thaumanova reactor is retconned and every mention of her is removed. Twilight assault is removed and replaced with fixedkittenpatch. Once all mentions of Scarlet are removed there as well (which may be a bit hard), it may be placed there again, as a 4th path.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in Fractured

Posted by: Rekage.4938

Rekage.4938

Scarlet is boring. I don’t get how ANet still tries to force her relevance.

in Fractured

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

I still neither like nor dislike Scarlet. I remain positively uninterested… and that’s actually in many ways worse than either extreme.

I mean, Bobby Stein, guys… I get it. You’re TRYING to get us all wrapped up in the mystery of who this woman is, what her motivations are, why she’s doing this… you want us to wonder “There’s gotta be something more than this random seeming mad woman doing random things. What’s her angle?”

You want us speculating, you want our minds running through theories… in the hope that once the big reveal hits, all the pieces will fall into place and we’ll go, “Wow.”

Unfortunately, it’s not working. Like… at all.

I think this is where the “expansion” route makes more sense. You’re throwing out a single bread crumb every two weeks… and it’s not enough to slake anyone’s hunger. It’s just annoying at this point. Maybe if all this was being dumped on us at once, it’d be more palatable. Maybe.

I’m sorry, but this plan with Scarlet isn’t up to snuff. Wrap it up. Really quickly. Because right now, the problem isn’t the people who hate it. The problem is the people who have stopped caring one way or the other.

Good one. I will ignore all Scarlet stuff now, all so called story in the LS and wait purposely for an expansion. One year of living story has shown, the devs are not up to create storywise compelling content in the living story modell. This Scarlet behind everything stuff only suggest, that the story people of Anet are completely out of ideas, which is sad.

in Fractured

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

Listen closely; this is the important part:
We do not like Scarlet Briar!

If I were a writer at ArenaNet, I’d really be congratulating myself on a job well done.
People claim that Scarlet is poorly written, but the truth is that over the past decades, thanks largely to Hollywood writing, we’ve become far to accustomed to sympathetic villains. Antagonists, who are often the antithesis of the hero, troubled by deep psychological trauma, whose actions are to a certain degree understandable or at leat comprehensible to the reader or viewer. This developement has lately reached a point, where the “gentleman” villains often become the protagonists themselves (e.g. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Pirates of the Carribean etc.)
Scarlet isn’t that. She isn’t likeable, her actions aren’t comprehensible, she’s annoying because she meddles with everything and people are spewing venom and bile because they don’t like her.
Here’s an update: You are not supposed to like the villain. You’re supposed to hate the villain, hate what they do, hate that you don’t understand why or how they’re doing it and get so emotional that you call for their early demise.
Judging from the majority of the reactions on these forums here, I think ANet have done a pretty good job with achieving that.
Kudos.

EDIT: I don’t want to say this is the case everyone. I can tell from reactions to this thread that there are also people who see right through what is actually happening here. But there are far more people on these boards who claim to be disinterested in the Scarlet story-arc, yet the emotionality in which their posts are usually written reveals that this couldn’t be farther from the truth.

(edited by CorneliusCoffin.3169)

in Fractured

Astralporing.1957

Here’s an update: You are not supposed to like the villain. You’re supposed to hate the villain, hate what they do, hate that you don’t understand why or how they’re doing it and get so emotional that you call for their early demise.

Again, you don’t seem to understand. We do not hate Scarlet for being a “good” (well-written) villain. What we hate is her writing. That’s something completely different. And i do understand why she’s doing what she’s doing – it’s because Anet has problems writing a good and compelling storyline and defaults to most simple, repeatable plots, and “monster of the week” approach.
And i don’t want her dead. I want her removed from the game.
So no, i’d hardly call that a “success”.

Actions, not words.

in Fractured

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Scarlet Briar is amazing.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Fractured

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Each to their own, but be warned you are in a severe minority.

And you know this because of the non-optional full-game census you took, probably?

Never assume with these things. Public forums are heavily biased by motivation, because time spent on them conflicts with time spent on whatever you would usually be doing (e.g.: playing the game).

You could have 100/100 people on a forum tell you that something needs to be removed, and they could be a 100 in 150000 minority, with all 149900 other players being strictly against it. You won’t know.

As a result, never assume majorities or numbers.

Some players don’t like Scarlet. Some, usually disjunct, players do. Some like aspects or her. Some don’t care either way.
That’s about as much as we can say on the topic.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Fractured

Posted by: Frederica.9237

Frederica.9237

I love Scarlet Briar very much. Cant get enough of her lovely voice.

Really looking forward to see what she does in the future!

in Fractured

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Here is the thing. People don’t hate Scarlet because she’s a good villain who fulfills the role of being unlikable due to her actions, they hate her because she’s a very poorly handled one. Take for example Umbridge from the Harry Potter series. She’s absolutely despised, even more than Voldemort, for her cruelty and her actions. She is a very well written villain whom we can see every teacher who treated us unfairly, every bully who humiliated us and every person in our lives who inflicted evil upon us in. She is relatable, she is a personification of personal injustices and things that are wrong with the world.

When people say “I hate Scarlet”, they aren’t meaning it in this way because Scarlet isn’t written as well as Umbridge.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of Scarlet Briar. That idea being that here we have an intelligent antagonist who would rather harass and cause big problems than try full out world domination and who enjoys playing different factions against each other to do the dirty work while always giving herself a realistic “way out”. We’re supposed to wonder what’s wrong with her, what her motivations are, what her deal is. We’re supposed to care even though we despise her.

That’s the idea but… that’s not how she’s being written at all. She’s not “real”, she feels fake and cartoony. The real feelings of seething hatred and personal identification aren’t there. The reaction isn’t “KITTEN! Scarlet Briar! How DARE you hurt those people! You need to die for all your sick meddling!”, it’s “Oh. It’s Scarlet. Again. Kitten, why? Ugh… well this story stinks now. She’s just gonna poof away and ruin some other story…” No one cares about her motivations because she was written too “larger than life”, given too many boons that made no sense against the backdrop of lore, given no realistic reasoning for her constant escapes, not gifted with decent personality traits and inserted into stories like a last minute scapegoat.

When I picked the reactor fractal over the Abbadon one, I did so because I wanted to see Asura history and learn more about what happened at that reactor. I wanted expanding on Asura lore in GW2. I did not want “SCARLET DID IT!”

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Fractured

Posted by: Braghez.7529

Braghez.7529

I know many people that love her, and i do too…problem is that the story is a long thing, not something that can end within the time of a film or a book, as some people mentioned.
Her plan is not yet fully ready…but now we know that she have bases both for chaos magic and dragon magic…and since she had bases about dragon from the past as we have seen…and she just finished the chaos reactor with the tower of nightmares…who knows what may happen next when you combine them. I truly hope that she will mess with some dragon to let the “main storyline” go on.
Btw what Carighan said is true, you can’t just judge everyone will by something written on the forum, especially since here generally write only people that didn’t like some content, happy people do now waste time with it and just play it…

PS: I very liked the last part of the story poor Dessa…it made me so sad.

in Fractured

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

ArenaNet is stubborn. Sometimes it’s a good characteristic. Used to mean they didn’t bow to bad player pressure.

I have friends leaving, however, over the state of the living “story”. I think it doesn’t matter how much life support you put Scarlet on, it’s not going to make us want to know more about her, want to see her come back or even care whether she dies or not. I wouldn’t mind if the whole Scarlet rubbish was put to one side and forgotten about, with no conclusion. I’d rather see a carbon copy of a GW1 story played out in the GW2 living story to any more of what we have now. At least those stories were compelling; for me, anyway.

“Scarlet did it.” Three words to sum up about a year of GW2 living stories. Anyone feeling short changed?

in Fractured

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

If I were a writer at ArenaNet, I’d really be congratulating myself on a job well done.
People claim that Scarlet is poorly written, but the truth is that over the past decades, thanks largely to Hollywood writing, we’ve become far to accustomed to sympathetic villains. Antagonists, who are often the antithesis of the hero, troubled by deep psychological trauma, whose actions are to a certain degree understandable or at leat comprehensible to the reader or viewer. This developement has lately reached a point, where the “gentleman” villains often become the protagonists themselves (e.g. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Pirates of the Carribean etc.)
Scarlet isn’t that. She isn’t likeable, her actions aren’t comprehensible, she’s annoying because she meddles with everything and people are spewing venom and bile because they don’t like her.
Judging from the majority of the reactions on these forums here, I think ANet have done a pretty good job with achieving that.
Kudos.

EDIT: I don’t want to say this is the case everyone. I can tell from reactions to this thread that there are also people who see right through what is actually happening here. But there are far more people on these boards who claim to be disinterested in the Scarlet story-arc, yet the emotionality in which their posts are usually written reveals that this couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Geez how do I tackle this

1. People do not hate Scarlet for what she is doing. People dislike Scarlet because she does not make sense in the context of the story.
2. ‘Villain’ or ‘antagonist’? (Also, which villain/antagonist character becomes a protagonist in Pirates of the Caribbean?)
3. By saying you are supposed to ‘hate’ the villain/antagonist, you are writing off a huge amount of villains who do not engender hate. A narrative causing an emotional connection with the player is good.
4. With Scarlet, we are not being angry with the story, we are being angry at the story.
5. The game is not a murder mystery. It does not invite us to solve the mystery it lays out, and it does not have the tools or build-up to do it. If it is trying to do that, it failed spectacularly as soon as Scarlet was introduced. Scarlet is no longer a useful tool for the narrative; she may as well be thrown out.
6. People are emotional because they like the game, think it has great potential, and it’s being spoiled on this muck.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Fractured

Posted by: Pointblanc.6593

Pointblanc.6593

I support this campaign of hate toward Scarlet

in Fractured

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

There is no mystery here. “Scarlet Did It”
I liked her at first, the voice work is pretty good and I thought she was a little quirky but anytime something happens. “Scarlet Did It”

Whats with the tower? Scarlet
Why are enemies working together? Scarlet
Reactor blew up? Scarlet

At this point when we get a LS in JAN we already know “Scarlet did it”

in Fractured

Posted by: LostInSmoke.2590

LostInSmoke.2590

I don’t hate scarlet

in Fractured

Carighan.6758

And this is surprising during the Scarlet Living Story? Really? Wow, you have weird expectations.

I do still mind it, but for a different reasons. You mind the “Scarlet”-part of Scarlet did it. I mind the “it”. She didn’t do anything of significance. Except maaaaybe the reactor, since that directly impacts me. But in a positive way, it gave me a pretty nifty dungeon.
She needs to actually do something. Appear randomly and tranq-dart people, mid-dungeon-fight. Now there’s a way to get players angry and – more importantly – make them care for removing the villain.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Fractured

KOPPER.1458

poorly worded on my part. Whatever mystery they try to tease us with doesn’t matter we know the outcome.

in Fractured

Carighan.6758

Ah see, I wouldn’t mind that, if there were anything behind the mystery curtain. It’s fine if I know Scarlet will be the one to pull it open. But in the past events, what did she actually show us? Some pretty art, but nothing of significance or meaning. I’d love her as a villain (she is pretty cool with Tara’s voice, tbh ), if only she ever did anything.

She never does! Here, have some awesome way to farm lots of champion bags! Now hate me! (wtf? O.o)
Or: “Here, have this way to farm crafting mats for awesome new oils/stones/crystals. Now, hate me!”

And that’s the problem. She’s not a villain, she’s on our side. Which tbh I suspect is supposed to be the grand reveal from all we know so far, but the issue is that it’ll be super-lame because she is already on our side all around. :S

in Fractured

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Yea I’ve been a proponent of tolerance for Scarlet for a while now. I’ve felt that her character isn’t awful, just that it was poorly executed. How her character can too easily be dismissed as an evil-for-the-sake-of-evil-insane-villain but upon closer inspection is more than that.

However…

It’s just getting ridiculous how her hands are in literally everything. She’s smart, but can she really be that influential, that omnipresent? No…and while I’m sure the players’ feelings toward Scarlet are mixed, I’d have to guess the resounding majority is sick of her. And yet she continues to crop up, laugh maniacally, & then escape without effort. Can we have a new villain? Can problems arise that aren’t her handywork? After all, even Gotham had more than 1 villain. And Metropolis. And…Detroit.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Fractured

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

She was a cute and interesting character when she was first introduced, and only then. She’s overstayed her welcome enormously. Now every time I see her I just roll my eyes and try to finish the meta achievement.

This game desperately needs a real villain with a real threat. Enough with the childish garbage.

… I still want tengu.

(edited by Hammerguard.9834)

in Fractured

Posted by: Tyrian.1043

Tyrian.1043

Do not like . Signed

in Fractured

Astralporing.1957

And this is surprising during the Scarlet Living Story? Really? Wow, you have weird expectations.

No, what it means is that there’s nothing to explain beyond “Scarlet did it”. Everything happens “Because Scarlet”. There are no other reasons. There’s nothing complex or interesting. Just another thing being pulled out from a magic hat with no explanations whatsoever.
So i have at some time expected the Story to have quality writing. Apparently, since it is a “Scarlet” story, i have expected too much. Now i expect nothing and i get exactly what i expected.

This is still not a good thing.

Actions, not words.

in Fractured

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Scarlet is fine.

Obsessing over her and involving her with everything that goes on in the world…endlessly…is not fine.

It’s time to put her to bed and move on to the next crisis. She’s not even threatening. She’s just annoying at this point. Give us more dragon-level-threats. Not some immortal James Bond knock-off villain from the 1970s.

in Fractured

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Each to their own, but be warned you are in a severe minority.

And you know this because….

Complaints.

Specifically the sheer quantity of them and the fact that every living story she is involved in, the more people hate her. The quantity of I hate Scarlet topics has risen exceptionally since the introduction of her character.

In game players consistently complain about her, I am not sure about you but I have literally never heard a kind thing said in relation to her name. Even when I did the Fractal with a random group the strangers they freaked out with her presence asking “FFS! Why is she here?” and saying “Scarlet should just go die”.

This forum does not have a single “I love Scarlet” topic, we used to get one or two but now even people who used to be fans are seeing the error of their ways and are starting to turn against her. Read this topic thoroughly and you will see several have changed their stance to disliking her.

People have less desire to defend her character, this topic alone is proof of that. The vast majority of posts in the I hate Scarlet topics are complaints and only one or two saying “I like her” or “I do not understand the hate” Usually just the same few people over and over again.

All this indicates an extreme minority that like Scarlet and a majority that dislikes her. Only a fool would even question this as it is blatantly obvious that she is nearly universally disliked. If you are not capable of coming to the same conclusion due to the overwhelming evidence then I doubt anything would convince you.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

(edited by Aedelric.1287)

in Fractured

Carighan.6758

Specifically the sheer quantity of them

And you know this how?
That was my point, after all.

If you think this is a big volume of complaints, then welcome to your first MMORPG, and enjoy the comparatively civil forums it offers. But that’s not even the point, “quantity” implies that the absolute number you can count here has merit.

But you don’t even know whether 100 of 6500 people are angry, of 100 of 1,45m people. Considering that it’s maybe 200 active posters you see in these threads right now, isn’t that awfully low? Now if you could show me that there’s only 1000 active players in the first place, wow, 20% kitten ed off enough to take to the forums would be a kittenstorm few devs have ever faced. And still a minority, but well past where you need to act.

OTOH, considering AG alone caps it’s WvW zones every evening, I would be surprising if it weren’t more like… 250k-350k active players, extrapolating from there? 200 kitten ed off enough to stalk the forums sounds… ignorable.
The rest either doesn’t mind, sees no reason to give feedback, or is actually happy. Or just doesn’t care either way, but those can safely be ignored from totals.

So basically, you don’t know how many are angry. You don’t even know whether the “many” is the correct word to use. “Some” is a better word, less implied meaning.

Yes, Scarlet isn’t loved universally. No surprise there. She’s also not hated universally, again, no surprise there. And you have no idea where the marker is between those two extremes. :P

People have less desire to defend her character, this topic alone is proof of that. The vast majority of posts in the I hate Scarlet topics are complaints and only one or two saying “I like her” or “I do not understand the hate” Usually just the same few people over and over again.

All this indicates an extreme minority that like Scarlet and a majority that dislikes her.

Not at all. Sorry.
But it’s not easy to explain in short. To just mention the results, you could have 98% of a forum’s population be of one opinion, and yet 98% of your playerbase is of a different opinion. This is due to a rather peculiar way which drives us when interacting with the forums, and the more casual a game can be played, the stronger this effect usually is.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Fractured

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I like Scarlet just fine.

I really wish that people wouldn’t force their opinion upon the entire player base. Just because some or even half of the player population doesn’t like Scarlet, there are equal or more that like her.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Fractured

Aedelric.1287

I suggest you take your head out of that hole and look around Carighan.

in Fractured

Carighan.6758

I suggest you take your head out of that hole and look around Carighan.

See the edit.

in Fractured

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

I’m not opposed to the character so much as the fact that she popped up out of nowhere, and she’s ridiculously overpowered. I mean come on, graduated ALL of the asura colleges? That’s a bs backstory if I ever saw one.

She did not graduate any of the colleges, actually. Some of the Living Story developers gave an interview where they clarified that Scarlet never completed any course of study anywhere. She would go, learn what she wanted and leave. This made her regard herself as a genius, but many she worked with regarded her as a talented hack who only acquired superficial knowledge and thought she had everything figured out. You can get this from “What Scarlet Saw” if you already know it, but the authors did not make it clear.

in Fractured

Posted by: Drage.9816

Drage.9816

Soon we will hear that Scarlet was one that did weak up dragons !

in Fractured

Aedelric.1287

Some of the Living Story developers gave an interview where they clarified that Scarlet never completed any course of study anywhere.

It really seems like the writers trying a hastily patch up holes in a very poorly written story. So now we have to take her background story not only from a website story but developer chat from various social medias to boot.

A good story does not need clarified, it is impervious to criticism and has no plot holes, effectively it is a testament unto itself. The constant changing, clarifying and comments by writers outside of the game is proof enough that the whole Scarlet fiasco was poorly conceived to begin with.

Boggles the mind how anyone can defend such trashy writing.

in Fractured

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

My opinion on Scarlet:

Pro

1. Tara Strong as the VA.

Con

1. She feels forced upon me. To clarify: she was responsible for the starting events of the asura personal storyline (her and Teyo), she’s “super-duper-uber smart and in your face about it,” and she’s uniting all sorts of separate baddies into Saturday morning cartoon style alliances.
  2. Her personality is annoying.
  3. All the mumbo-jumbo about controlling reality or shaping it or something involving the eternal alchemy. That’s basically giving a villain something akin to ultimate power. I’ve had enough thank you.
  4. Her “story” feels long and drawn out. I spent about 3 months taking my time to beat Zhaitan in the personal story, and that felt just right for me.

in Fractured

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

Kudos.

This horse is long past dead, but people don’t hate the Scarlet as a character because she’s a good villain, they hate her because her writing is terrible and the things she does are immersion-breaking and lore-breaking. Someone said it well in this thread already: she’s the kind of evil character that a new roleplayer would come up with, and well below the level of writing people came to expect from playing GW1.

You want a good “pulling the strings” type villain? Check out Professor Moriarty of Sherlock Holmes fame.

Professor Moriarty is nothing like any modern-day villain (Walter White et. al.). He’s ruthless and has no redeeming qualities. He is, however, an awesome, top-hat-wearing, monocle-shining evil villain, because you hate him for what he does and want to see him lose.

People don’t want to see Scarlet lose, they want to not see her anymore, period. That’s not a job well done. Do you say “job well done” when a show is cancelled because its storyline makes no sense and people don’t want to watch it anymore?

in Fractured

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Scarlet will have an end, just relax and wait.

This would give a lot of people peace of mind, Bobby, I hope you respond: is the end of Scarlet’s arch already on its way?

I mentioned this elsewhere on the forums, but I’ll say it here again. There is an end to the Scarlet story that has been planned out. I’m not at liberty to discuss release dates or the timeline, though.

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/Does-lore-matter/3266722

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Fractured

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

What if I wanna join Scarlet? I’d totally be into her if I could be on her side. :P

in Fractured

KOPPER.1458

“What if I wanna join Scarlet? I’d totally be into her if I could be on her side. :P”

That is the big secret she’s on our side. :P

in Fractured

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

I wouldn’t have minded her if she weren’t some complete Mary Sue.

Lets look at the Decay of her character, from an alright minor villain, to COMPLETE and utter BS character very few people like.

The Aetherblade
So, the aetherblade appeared out of nowhere, but that was fine, they’re Sky Pirates. Pirates have been known to pop up randomly. They attacked Lions Arch, we defeated Mai, and she outright said there was someone above her. So we knew about Scarlet by Proxy. This was all actually rather fun, and totally plausible!

Queens Jubilee
This was a little far-fetched. I thought it was sorta strange that Queen Jenna just randomly, out of nowhere, got these mechanical soldiers, and not 5 minutes later, Scarlet appears and controls them.

If there was SUPPOSED to be a link between these two events, IE Scarlet is the one who sort of made the technology available for the sole purpose of taking it over later, that would have been more plausible. Instead, she just magically took control of EVERYTHING, effortlessly. That reeks of heavy-handedness on the part of lore.

Sidenote: I was on voice chat with my guild when I first saw the clockwork knights, and I kittening called that kitten. Those mecha-knight things obviously should have had an antivirus and firewall installed. How could I predict they’d get controlled, and an ENTIRE city, and it’s Leadership not know this was a bad idea? Ugh

Molten Alliance
Alright. The Flame Legion are religious fanatics. HOW would they EVER ally with anyone who DIRECTLY disagrees with their belief system??

Now if there had been a faction of Dredge, who were converted to their religion, then I can TOTALLY believe an alliance would be possible. But that isn’t the case.

And the Dredge used to be slaves, and are crazy communists. Why would they ally with someone who’s goal is to ENSLAVE everyone, via magic and religious conversion?!

And why would EITHER of them listen to Scarlet?!?!

The whole ting felt forced again. And why does Scarlet have ANY influence with the Dredge OR Flame Legion?! Now Scarlets Mary-Sue BS has gone from heavy-handed, to implausible.

Sidenote: I do appreciate the tiny, but noteworthy efforts to make the alliance appear as a fragile one, such as the dredge and flame legion arguing, calling one another incompetent, and blaming one another as they start to lose to the player characters.

Scarlets Backstory
She’s overly capable in everything she ever touches for no reason other than she . She’s smart than the Asura, better Engineers than the Charr, etc. It’s total nonsense. This just further demonstrates she’s a complete can-do-anything-mary-sue.

Toxic Alliance
I can always see the Nightmare Court working with her, due to the fact that they’re evil Sylvari, and she’s a kitten of a Sylvari…. but the Krait?! They’re xenophobic, murderous, jerkfaced maniacs with a superiority complex. Just like the flame legion and dredge, why would they EVER listen to Scarlet? Or ally with Sylvari, evil or otherwise?!

This is just complete and utter BS at this point. Scarlett can do everything because the Devs have decreed it. There’s no

Inquest Reactor
Kitten BS. Kitten. BS.
KITTEN. BS.
Grah!

in Fractured

Posted by: Josip.8267

Josip.8267

I Do Not Like Scarlet Briar

Here op, I fixed it for you.

in Fractured

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Aetherblades were actually pretty cool until Scarlol showed up.

Steampunk Pirates in Airships, with biggass cannons. Why couldn’t the villain be more like Horrik?

Come on, you gotta admit, Horrik was pretty cool. Why couldnt he be the nemesis instead of Scarlet?

in Fractured

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

I don’t think you’re supposed to like the villain. Atleast it will be somewhat satisfying when you get to beat Scarlet down and never see her again.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

in Fractured

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t think you’re supposed to like the villain. Atleast it will be somewhat satisfying when you get to beat Scarlet down and never see her again.

Did you like Darth Vader?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Fractured

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Not until episode 1.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Fractured

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Seriously? Another anti-Scarlet thread? Couldn’t you just post this garbage in one of the others?

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in Fractured

Posted by: Faedrivin.5382

Faedrivin.5382

I like Scarlet, and I can’t wait to get the solution to the story around. Sorry that there are so many players who dislike her.

Septimum Confoederatio Draconis [Sept]
Seafarer’s Rest (SFR)
Human Mesmer

in Fractured

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

Yeah, I was rooting for Darth Vader in the movies. And if I played a game with Darth Vader in it, I would enjoy playing as Darth Vader instead of playing against him.

Scarlet’s obviously not the best villain there is but atleast the hatred for this character is pretty much unanimous, even if for the wrong reasons.

Nobody likes her, everybody wants to see her gone, now if GW2 delivers a satisfying conclusion to Scarlet’s story it won’t feel too bad having gone through a few months of her annoying the player base.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

(edited by TheGreatA.4192)

in Fractured

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m not a fan of her, I liked her being behind something’s. But everything? I’m sorry, but I no longer pay any attention to the LS. I do the LS now just for the game play. I found the more LS passes by the more the lore from guild wars is kitten on. The story and lore of guild wars was amazing. After the trehurn feasco I thought ANet would stay away from the trees for awhile. But no. They are the one race being shoved in are faces over and over. If I had my way I’d burn the pail tree and there whole race. To they server no per perpose.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|