Who is behind Thaumanova?

in Fractured

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

Say half a year ago, when we knew nothing about Scarlet, they announced an expansion.

One evil genius is forming alliances with EVERYONE evil and assaulting everything! And you will discover that she is the reason for all evil in the world (forget the dragons, that was a joke.) But don’t worry, no new classes, one new skill, no new areas, and three new instances.

Who would have bought it?

If it isn’t good enough for an expansion, why is it good enough for Living World? Because Living World is free?

Well said, sir.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

in Fractured

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Instead of the classic “Simpsons did it!” we now have “Scarlett did it!”

in Fractured

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Anet has got to be trolling us at this point….

They went on and on about how thermanova had this amazing story that would reveal great things about Tyria… what do we get… Scarlet… again…

in Fractured

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

I feel like a prophet whose words were not heeded. I could say “I told ya’ll, lulz,” but that would be a kitten thing to do.

Honestly, I feel so bad that I told everyone about what an abomination Scarlet was 3 months ago, when this kittenhurricane began, and now it all turned out to be true.

Btw, my theory back in Cutthroat Politics was that the Inquest accidentally created a proto-Elder Dragon out of chaotic energy, and we would’ve had to blow up the reactor to destroy it before it would break free. We could’ve learned so so much about the dragons and their nature (in that particulary theory they would be sentient chaos magic taking on a draconic shape and specializing on one twisted side of chaos: corruption.)

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

(edited by Thalador.4218)

in Fractured

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

I feel like a prophet whose words were not heeded. I could say “I told ya’ll, lulz,” but that would be a kitten thing to do.

Honestly, I feel so bad that I told everyone about what an abomination Scarlet was 3 months ago, when this kittenhurricane began, and now it all turned out to be true.

Trust me, you are not the only one that pick this up. Hell, I made this thread long ago and I put two and two together a few week eariler.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Keep-Scarlet-off-the-Thaumanova-Reactor-Frac

Its a shame, a freaken shame, that Anet and the LS writing department ruin another good part of the game for me.

in Fractured

Posted by: nassaya.7109

nassaya.7109

All I can think of is Scarlet killing Abaddon now lols.

I guess those of you that voted Kiel preserved what little Guild Wars lore is left. Thanks!

All i can say is feel the same way as you do. ^^ only thing haunting in my head is how scarlet kicked abbadon’s behind. Also when scarlet came in the picture (go figure) out of respect for the team i dindn’t leave Alt F4 was so close.

Cheers.

Nassaya Shadowheart lvl. 80 Necro
Nassaya Fireheart lvl. 80 Ele
Far Shiverpeaks – Guardians of the Dutch [GOTD]

in Fractured

Posted by: Forlio.6043

Forlio.6043

This pretty much sums up scarlet’s part in the fractal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a43kowi2ncI

in Fractured

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

You know, I actually said to a friend a while back that they’re probably gonna build Thaumanova reactor fractal around Scarlet, as a joke. I didn’t believe they actually would. Maybe it’s the reason why Kiel won, since they couldn’t work up a believable reason to tie the Fall of Abaddon to Scarlet.

in Fractured

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The worst part about this is that Scarlet is now a permanent part of your fractal ‘enjoyment’. You have a chance to see her again everytime you do a fractal, for years to come. A bad memory…for years to come…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Fractured

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

You know, I actually said to a friend a while back that they’re probably gonna build Thaumanova reactor fractal around Scarlet, as a joke. I didn’t believe they actually would. Maybe it’s the reason why Kiel won, since they couldn’t work up a believable reason to tie the Fall of Abaddon to Scarlet.

She could have just as easily learned about Tyria’s magical leylines from the god of magic himself.

She was planned months ago to learn what she needed from whatever fractal was implemented.

in Fractured

KOPPER.1458

Lets be honest here. If the reactor did not win and it was Abaddon, it would have been the same thing. Scarlett would have still popped up.

in Fractured

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

You know what I would have liked to see?

A big dragon arm and claw reaching out from the hole underground, and destroyers coming out.

THERE’S YOUR STORY.

NOT SALAD.

You don’t win friends with Salad?

in Fractured

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

After it was revealed scarlet was behind the nightmare tower i had a feeling this would happen for thaumonova or w/e its called. Not surprised#

in Fractured

Posted by: MrMarkiisi.5931

MrMarkiisi.5931

I don’t understand. I thought the Kiel voters wanted “GW2 lore”. Why are they raging now?
Face the reality: Scarlet IS GW2 lore.

in Fractured

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

She could have just as easily learned about Tyria’s magical leylines from the god of magic himself.

She was planned months ago to learn what she needed from whatever fractal was implemented.

You’re right… she would’ve travelled back in time, interrogated and tortured Abaddon – scarring his psyche – in her quest to learn about the magical fonts and source of Tyria and how they are connected. Then she would’ve fled during the distraction of Abaddon going crazy and attacking his bros and sis’.

It all makes sense now.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Fractured

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

I feel a bit foolish for thinking, “maybe this time it will be something OTHER than Scarlet.” Or even, “maybe this is where the Scarlet plot line finally gets ‘good’ like they keep promising.” I actually enjoyed the mechanics of the new reactor fractal (aside from the no waypoint bug), only to log out in disgust after finishing it because of the story. It seems stupid to keep hoping, “maybe this time it will be different.” As long as the individual(s) responsible for story direction remain the same, it’s pretty clear by now that it won’t.

in Fractured

KOPPER.1458

It doesn’t matter which fractal was chosen she would’ve shown up regardless.

in Fractured

Liraz.8062

You’re right, it’s better that they ruin this little part of the lore than to go back in time and mess with the canon from GW1, too.

in Fractured

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This is absolutely unbelievable. I get that we have to see her through in the LS but this!! They seemed to get that the majority of players loathe her but they still shoehorn her into stuff like this!! I have no words.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Fractured

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

I genuilely thank you for spoiling me, I cant believe they decided to throw her in… Ithis is going way too far.. for once we could get some credible lore.. nope. Ill wait a few weeks before playing it and focus on my finals

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

in Fractured

Posted by: Faylinn.3280

Faylinn.3280

Arenanet, for the love of goodness, get over your fixation with Scarlet. We don’t like her as much as you seem to! Please, I was really excited at first for the Thaumanova reactor, even if I wanted the Abbadon Fractal more. I really wanted to see a grandiose Inquest vs Peacemaker battle. I wanted to see giant golems brawling each other while the Inquest and Peacemakers fight to the death! I didn’t want Scarlet ruining everything. She was JUST FINE when she was behind the Aetherblades after Trin. But when she was behind the Molten Alliance, the Dragon Bash scheme, and everything leading up to the present day in Living Story, I had enough. And I’ll say this as many times as I need to.

ENOUGH. WITH. SCARLET.

~Tarnished Coast Forever <3~
Proud Elementalist of [PiNK]

in Fractured

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I’m just most disappointed that the living story is so pervasive. They’re still working things out, got it. It takes a couple months to see player input make it into the game, got it.

I just don’t know why there’s a need to weave LS into fractals, WvW, etc… I’m a believer in the adage “do it right, or don’t do it at all.” I think many fractal players would have been happy with some bug fixes in fractals, some polishing of encounters, the update of the loot tables. Quality of life changes and bug fixes far trump a short story segment.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Fractured

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

You’re right, it’s better that they ruin this little part of the lore than to go back in time and mess with the canon from GW1, too.

Problem. One of the head writer for the Living Story, Angel McCoy, is basically doing that as well and making GW1’s lore more worthless.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/Angel-McCoy-Interview/

So yeah, the person that created Scarlet is basically rewriting GW 1 lore.

in Fractured

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

There is nothing more I can add except this:

Attachments:

in Fractured

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

You’re right… she would’ve travelled back in time, interrogated and tortured Abaddon – scarring his psyche – in her quest to learn about the magical fonts and source of Tyria and how they are connected. Then she would’ve fled during the distraction of Abaddon going crazy and attacking his bros and sis’.

It all makes sense now.

The way she’s going… I can honestly actually see that happening. There is literally nothing she cant do/influence lorewise anymore.

in Fractured

Liraz.8062

Problem. One of the head writer for the Living Story, Angel McCoy, is basically doing that as well and making GW1’s lore more worthless.

There are not enough fluffy kittens in the world to express my dislike.

in Fractured

Posted by: Andlat Helsonr.1284

Andlat Helsonr.1284

This is, in my humble, gamer opinion, unacceptable. A-net, I love you guys and the world you have crafted, but please – have respect for it, instead of using a silly comic book villain as an excuse for all evil that has happened in recent history.

in Fractured

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

And i thought World of Warcraft was bad where everything ever was almost always the work of the Old Gods.

But Guild Wars 2 has transcended that part. I would not be surprised at all if we found out in the future Scarlet was behind Zaitan. Like, she was the one waking up the Dragons or something.

Its starting to feel like some 90’s cartoon. Like, Dexter’s Laboratory or something. And we are all Dexter, getting trolled by the omnipotent Dee…Scarlet. Who no matter what, never fails to show up to try and ruin our inven… living story.

in Fractured

Posted by: Piercefield.6845

Piercefield.6845

Please…pleasepleaseplease. This is enough. Stop. Take Scarlet out back and insert a hedge trimmer in her kitten planty face, and get back to doing something worthwhile with the lore instead of messing up Thaumanova with absolute garbage like her. It feels like a kick in the face.

As many have said, Thaumanova was interesting. ‘Was’. Before this. A very integral piece of lore regarding the asura and the state of Metrica Province, and several other locations in the world…it had so much potential. I was so looking forward to seeing just how and why the Inquest, and if it really was the Inquest, had caused the reactor meltdown.

Instead of whatever plausible, interesting and good explanations you could have chosen…you chose, once again, your beloved Scarlet. I think that says enough.

in Fractured

Posted by: erickn.1853

erickn.1853

The Living story is just ruining the Guild Wars lore. I’m a big fan of ArenaNet and I’m a player of the Guild Wars saga since prophecies, and I’m ok with Guild Wars 2, with the story of the dragons and the 5 ancient races, even I’m ok with Trahearne, but Scarlet…

Scarlet was interesting when she was behind the aetherblades, but now, she’s just the nemesis of the entire game, not just the living story. I bought Guild Wars 2 believing that we would learn about the world, the misteries surround it, the elder dragons, the gods, the ancient races… But instead, we have an egocentric salad who can unify any race to create unlikely and forced alliances… I’m here to slay dragons, to explore this vast and misterious world. I loved Orr because of the feeling of being in a land unexplored and dangerous, full of secrets and ancient magics… But with the living story, all that was good is gone.

¿Where are the epic concepts of Daniel Dociu?¿And the epic writings of Jeff Grubb and Ree Soesbee?¿And the Epic Soundtrack of Jeremy Soule?¿Where is the promise of a vast, evergrowing explorable world, full of secrets and dangers?
I will continue playing Guild Wars 2, but not for the living story, not for Scarlet. I will play for the old times, for the old good, intrincate and epic scale stories, and for the hope I have that some day we will finally visit new and unexplored regions, with good stories and lore free from a walking salad with delusions of grandeur.

And sorry for my english xD

in Fractured

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

I should be sleeping already to get to work early, but I just can’t stop laughing at Scarlet’s involvement. HAHAHA.

When will it be over?

Leman

in Fractured

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

When me and some friends realized it was Scarlet we just left the instance. Sorely disappointed…

in Fractured

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Anet said Scarlet story has already being planned out to the end.
Can’t wait for seeing her:
-breaking in god’s realm (because she’s Scarlet so she can)
-freeing Dhuum (how? see above)
-creating the “Dark&Edgy Alliance”, Dhuum + Menzies (how did she found Menzies? how force 2 gods to ally under her command? see pt 1)
-wiping out gods, absorbing power, becoming Kormir 3.0 (she did it all alone this time!)
-??
-profit! Now Anet can use her for the eternity.

Plot written, lore saved, Gw1 fans satisfied, best MMO villain award is ours already.

/sarcasm

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Fractured

Posted by: ArtsyAlraune.3940

ArtsyAlraune.3940

This is literally the worst. I’ve read the interviews, about how the Living Story got off to a rocky start with working out the balance between storytelling, character development and the rolling out of the updates themselves, but COME ON. WHY did they bank on Scarlet SO MUCH? I’m thinking they must have not gotten any outside feedback before starting to inject her into all of their future updates for the next year. That was a very bad decision.
I am just so done with this update right now. (I’ve been done with the Living Story since she first appeared.)

in Fractured

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

I can see that the creator of Scarlet has enormous power in Anet.

in Fractured

Posted by: JGBarbarian.3579

JGBarbarian.3579

I am here just to leave my little feedback:
No more Scarlet Anet please, give me dragons, gods and big stuff, ty

in Fractured

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

This is so funny. I said for ages that what happened behind TR will not be up to the hype people were thinking about. But Scarlet ? I didn’t think of that. Of course, at the time, we didn’t know anything about her and her ability to be behind everything every time.

But having her included in the Abaddon fractal would have actually been interesting. It would have shaped a little better her character and bring light on more things about her. Of course, some players would have been angry by it (just like now).

However, let’s face it. The fractals were GW2 vs GW1 lore. People chose Scarlet (without knowing it, but hey, that’s politics :p).

in Fractured

Posted by: Siobhan.6027

Siobhan.6027

As soon as Scarlet popped up on my screen, I stopped paying attention to the dialogue in the instance.

Up to that point, I wasn’t having much fun. The little puzzles in the area almost instant downed you didn’t react quickly enough. Having to leave the instance to respawn in la was a pain. I don’t know why I’m continually surprised by the lack of quality assurance in this game.

I need to think on some things, but I really think I’m going to uninstall soon.

in Fractured

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Now it taints the Thaumanova in its current state. Going there now is just another reminder of the worst villain ever created.

Anet – for the love of GW1, you don’t have to use her for everything!!

in Fractured

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I like Scarlet but honestly it did seem pretty random, lol. They stuck her into lore that, despite being mysterious and unknown, was already in existence before Scarlet ever was.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Fractured

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Did she create Scarlet? I’d like to know which one of the writers did come up with this character.

From what I read on Bobby Stein Wiki page: Ree Soesbee and Jeff Grubb take turns crafting the world setting and story arc for each Guild Wars campaign. I’d really like to hear their explanation on why Scarlet is such a good villain.

in Fractured

Posted by: BrandonBandicoot.3968

BrandonBandicoot.3968

Maybe it’s for the best the Abaddon fractal never happened.
Anet would have found a way to shoehorn Scarlet into it with time travel or something.

in Fractured

Posted by: Skarg.6834

Skarg.6834

Kinda wish I had voted for Evon so I could see how Scarlet trapped Abaddon…..

To bad I couldn’t trust him to lead in my best interest, just his own.

in Fractured

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

From all the Scarlet trash ANet throws at us, I didn’t expect such a move, I was expecting something more elaborate, something more serious but eventually it was a major let down, worse than one of Uwe Boll’s game to movie adaptations.

This update was my last straw. I loved GW1 (still do) for it’s fantasy setting, it’s amazing lore and all. GW2 was supposed to be the follow up with rise of orr, awakening of dragons, birth of sylvari and all and it could have been a nice story, but now for us Tyrians we’re trapped in Scarlet Land.

If ANet’s creativity and storytelling goes as far as including the same character over and over with reskinned living story, then I have my doubts how much longer I’ll continue playing.

What happened to the rest of the dragons? – I’m pretty sure the community that cares about lore want to know about this, not another episode of “What’s Scarlet cooking next”.

in Fractured

Posted by: transtemporal.2158

transtemporal.2158

Anet – for the love of GW1, you don’t have to use her for everything!!

Yes, they do because….

Spoiler Alert!!!

SCARLET IS ALL OF THE DRAGONS!!!

in Fractured

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

scarlet is starting to remind me of something…..

Attachments:

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

in Fractured

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

You can do it better ANet

1- Scarlett needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine (I see you’re working on this).

2- Whenever Scarlett is not on screen, all the other charcaters should be asking “Where’s Scarlett?”

in Fractured

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

When I seen scarlet did it, I just /shrug. Why Anet decided to completely abandon gw1 lore is beyond me. It wasn’t premium but it was much more interesting than this.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Fractured

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

scarlet is starting to remind me of something…..

at least they could be entertaining at times….

in Fractured

Posted by: Word Eater.6541

Word Eater.6541

kitten ANet. Have you just given up on being creative at all? Scarlett did it? Really? I was hoping for more insight into the lore of the Inquest (other than, “we are the mad scientists that other mad scientists fear”).
Not freakin’ Scarlett R. Briar (The ‘R’ stands for Retcon).
Can you retcon the retcon and get rid of Scarlett? Like maybe a hallucination from the Krait / Nightmare Court alliance?
I was digging the Living Story, even through its hiccups until Scarlett showed up to have retroactively masterminded it all.
I hate Scarlett as a concept and as a character. We could have had another Palawa Joko or even Abaddon, but instead we got what? A second rate Harley Quinn without a Joker to giver her a reason for existing.
Scarlett is a bad character and she is not written in an interesting way. She has no reason for existing. If she does have a reason, you are doing a very good job of not foreshadowing or dropping hints other than “LOL she so crazy cause she saw too much.”
Don’t pull the puppet master crap and say “Oh, well that’s exactly how we want you to see her until the big reveal.” If that is your opinion, then you don’t know how to write very well and you are doing a bad job. Nobody likes her. Nobody relates to her.

Do you have writers for the Living Story or are your developers just doing double duty? You need dedicated writers if you want to tell an overarching and compelling story.

Scarlett is just the worst solution to the problem of “oh we did this stuff for no reason I guess we better make up a reason.”

Scarlett is so bad that in a lesser game, I would just quit playing. But, thankfully, Guild Wars 2 has a lot more going for it than the Living Story. Playing WvWvW with guild mates, or just doing PvE world exploration is worth putting up with the ridiculousness that is Scarlett.