Who is behind Thaumanova?

in Fractured

Posted by: transtemporal.2158

transtemporal.2158

The funny thing about this is that even George Lucas learned enough from Phantom Menace to remove or tone down Jar Jar Binks in the next 2 films.

This is like he never took that criticism on board and put Jar Jar in everything.

in Fractured

Posted by: transtemporal.2158

transtemporal.2158

Scarlett is so bad that in a lesser game, I would just quit playing.

Totally. If this was a TV show, it would’ve been cancelled several months ago. Or at least, the studio would’ve fired the director and bought in someone new.

in Fractured

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I think perhaps the most telling thing about this thread is how little anyone defends Scarlet in it. Anything else about this is obviously subjective – but nobody is defending her.
Nobody, not a single person I’ve seen in this thread, is speaking up to say “Hey, I like her.”
If that isn’t a warning sign, I don’t know what is.

in Fractured

Posted by: kyro.8162

kyro.8162

I’m so glad Kiel won now
I’m not even sure if I’m happy or kittening kitten ed off now. They butchered every lore they’ve implemented since the living story update. Watch, in the next halloween update, we’ll find out that Scarlet IS the Mad King Thorn, and that Traherne is an elder dragon, and gw2 never really happened (our gw1 characters got into a coma and this is his/her dream/nightmare). At this point, I’m not even going to bother paying attention to lore anymore.

Sanctum of Rall
New Namek [Kami]
Guardian/Ele/Warrior/Engi/Mes/Necro/Ranger

in Fractured

Posted by: ezhcim.3075

ezhcim.3075

I honestly hope that if any person in charge of the development of the future LS updates reads this they decide to destroy any upcoming updates about Scarlet and just make the next one be: Kill Scarlet, and finally b done with it :/

in Fractured

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Sigh. I did mention a theory on Scarlet/Reactor stuff on page 3 of this thread
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/speech/What-Scarlet-saw-Short-Story/page/3#post2696991
But not as her causing it, more as it causing her.

Why can’t we have more like https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/To-Merge-the-Personal-and-Living-Stories/first ?

I love this game, it’s my only game for now. Perusing my post history will show my complaints have been few and far between. But Scarlet just isn’t exciting as presented. I want a villain with depth, one we can root for even as we work to undo them. I don’t want this game to die off because the story failed to grip the minds and hearts of all involved.

in Fractured

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

I think perhaps the most telling thing about this thread is how little anyone defends Scarlet in it. Anything else about this is obviously subjective – but nobody is defending her.
Nobody, not a single person I’ve seen in this thread, is speaking up to say “Hey, I like her.”
If that isn’t a warning sign, I don’t know what is.

… doesn’t mean anything really. I’m one of those who kind of like her – it’s bad vilain, it’s simply so bad that I’m kind of intrigued of what could be hided with ArenaNet motive , it doesn’t mean I will “defend” her. Not in a thread like this. And certainly not in my second language.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

in Fractured

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I am utterly disgusted with Arena Net’s writers at the moment.

I voted for Evon, but I was able to see the great idea behind Thaumanova so I was fine to have it as a fractal. Unfortunately instead of great lore and clever writing, we get Scarlet. I completely detest Scarlet, not because she is a great villain but because she is utter trash ruining a game I enjoy, Arena Net seriously needs to rethink including her, every person I talk to in game has had enough of her.

Her inclusion in the Thaumanova story felt like Arena Nets writers took offence to everyone’s general dislike to her and her, so they included her in hateful spite.

I love Guild Wars and have no intention of quitting but as punishment for including her I shall not buy anything from the Black Lion Trading Company for this month. Or any other months that she makes an appearance in the Living Story. This may not mean much being only one person but at least I am making a stand that affects you as a company.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Fractured

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Anet said Scarlet story has already being planned out to the end.

Yabbut for the living story not for this which will presumably still be available after Scarlets part in the LS ends..

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Fractured

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

You can do it better ANet

1- Scarlett needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine (I see you’re working on this).

2- Whenever Scarlett is not on screen, all the other charcaters should be asking “Where’s Scarlett?”

I don’t think this post has gotten enough props.

in Fractured

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Do they understand that when people used to talk about adding Scarlet into Thaumanova, it was a hyperbolic remark about their overuse of the character, and not something they should actually even remotely entertain the idea of doing?

About the only way they can salvage the lore at this point is to 1) sack everyone on the writing team that doesn’t understand how terrible Scarlet is as a “character” or even as a plot device, and 2) have your Order mentor wake you up and tell you that you got a terrible concussion in the middle of the first battle at Claw Island and hallucinated the rest of the Personal Story and Living Story.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

(edited by perilisk.1874)

in Fractured

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

2) have your Order mentor wake you up and tell you that you got a terrible concussion in the middle of the first battle at Claw Island and hallucinated the rest of the Personal Story and Living Story.

As big a leap that would be I would take such a story in a heartbeat.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Fractured

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

You can do it better ANet

1- Scarlett needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine (I see you’re working on this).

2- Whenever Scarlett is not on screen, all the other charcaters should be asking “Where’s Scarlett?”

We’re never going to get to the fireworks factory.

in Fractured

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I thought there was going to be a story! There would be Asuran scientists who went too far and unleashed something they couldn’t control. There would be cutscenes with them talking to each other. First with their exciting, groundbreaking idea, with maybe some dissension. Then it starts to unravel. They start to panic. They are arguing what to do as it comes unglued around them. And either is all comes apart or they are forced to explode the building to fend off something even worse. Either dying because of their hubris or dying nobly to save everyone else.

Instead

Went inside. Killed some stuff. Killed some more stuff. Found a panel that had buttons that had to be pushed. Pushed them. Killed more stuff. Scarlet appeared. She said some stuff (which I admit I sort of didn’t watch cuz I was annoyed to see her there). A boss appeared. We killed it. A chest appeared. We looted it.

The end.

THIS is the mysterious, interesting Thaumanova Reactor explanation? Scarlet did it? Maaannn, you could have emailed me that sentence.

Edit: ANet, if 4 months isn’t enough time to make an interesting story then please, take more time. Or hire a writer. Someone who can tell a story.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Fractured

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

I thought there was going to be a story! There would be Asuran scientists who went too far and unleashed something they couldn’t control. There would be cutscenes with them talking to each other. First with their exciting, groundbreaking idea, with maybe some dissension. Then it starts to unravel. They start to panic. They are arguing what to do as it comes unglued around them. And either is all comes apart or they are forced to explode the building to fend off something even worse. Either dying because of their hubris or dying nobly to save everyone else.

Yes, do something original like put you right in the middle of the disaster as it happens. You’re a lowly Asuran scientist, tasked with equipping a Hazmat Suit and delivering a sample of chaos material to a test chamber. Upon placing it into the test apparatus, everything goes haywire, you’re briefly teleported to a variety of locales inside and outside of Tyria, and then returned to a facility in chaos.

You manage to arm yourself with a simple “The Fixer” wrench to fend off the karka hatchlings now infesting the facility, along with strange creatures from outside Tyria. When Asuran Peacekeepers arrive, you’re overjoyed — only to find that they are eliminating any trace of the incident, including the surviving Thaumanova research staff. Then a bunch of stuff happens, you go to the Mists and complete an obnoxious JP and fight a Karka Queen and a giant baby that controls the invading creatures, and finally Scarlet shows up and puts you in stasis.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Fractured

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

Did she create Scarlet? I’d like to know which one of the writers did come up with this character.

From what I read on Bobby Stein Wiki page: Ree Soesbee and Jeff Grubb take turns crafting the world setting and story arc for each Guild Wars campaign. I’d really like to hear their explanation on why Scarlet is such a good villain.

Almost ALL interviews that involves Scarlet was done by Angel McCoy. It doesn’t help that every interview ends with “and I’ll see you in my Dream!” I do not think Ree or Jeff was involve with this particular LS, all thing consider. “Thumbing up” the project doesn’t count.

in Fractured

Posted by: Khados.8147

Khados.8147

Instead

Went inside. Killed some stuff. Killed some more stuff. Found a panel that had buttons that had to be pushed. Pushed them. Killed more stuff. Scarlet appeared. She said some stuff (which I admit I sort of didn’t watch cuz I was annoyed to see her there). A boss appeared. We killed it. A chest appeared. We looted it.

The end.

Great summary of my experience…I came out of there going huh? What just happened? That’s it?

in Fractured

Posted by: Sprawler.5612

Sprawler.5612

Yes, do something original like put you right in the middle of the disaster as it happens. You’re a lowly Asuran scientist, tasked with equipping a Hazmat Suit and delivering a sample of chaos material to a test chamber. Upon placing it into the test apparatus, everything goes haywire, you’re briefly teleported to a variety of locales inside and outside of Tyria, and then returned to a facility in chaos.

You manage to arm yourself with a simple “The Fixer” wrench to fend off the karka hatchlings now infesting the facility, along with strange creatures from outside Tyria. When Asuran Peacekeepers arrive, you’re overjoyed — only to find that they are eliminating any trace of the incident, including the surviving Thaumanova research staff. Then a bunch of stuff happens, you go to the Mists and complete an obnoxious JP and fight a Karka Queen and a giant baby that controls the invading creatures, and finally Scarlet shows up and puts you in stasis.

All my yes.

in Fractured

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

ANET wanted us to vote Kiel because this sorry excuse for a Fractal was easier for them to make.

in Fractured

Posted by: Heartwolf.5746

Heartwolf.5746

No. That is all.

in Fractured

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Scarlet is awesome :P

in Fractured

Posted by: Arrelaine.5692

Arrelaine.5692

Can we just get another expansion having to do with the dragons instead of another Scarlet LS or well… anything with Scarlet? I liked her at first, but this is redonk.

in Fractured

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

have your Order mentor wake you up and tell you that you got a terrible concussion in the middle of the first battle at Claw Island and hallucinated the rest of the Personal Story and Living Story.

That sounds like a great idea to me.

in Fractured

Posted by: BazeDragon.3927

BazeDragon.3927

As much as I like some of the lore that was added in the Fractal (the fact that the inquest seemed to try to prevent the explosion)…
The reveal of Scarlet being behind it made me wish the Inquest had deliberately destroyed Thaumanova for some non-sensical reason. It would have been a less depressing reveal.

When it comes to RP, I’m going to assume that the Fractal was affected by a Mistlock instability and therefore cannot be considered a “true” representation of what happened that day, just so that I can ignore having Scarlet as a part of my character history for as long as Asuranly possible… I’d rather still be thinking “So, did the inquest really try to save the reactor?” than saying “Well, Scarlet did it so… Well.. What now?”

in Fractured

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

I’ve personally taken up pen and paper and wrote up an alternate version of the Thaumanova explosion.

Call it “over-reacting” if you want. I call it “reasonable reaction to continuous disappointment.”

I had high hopes for GW2’s writing before launch. Hell, Personal Story and the open world still have a few neat gems in them. It was promising. It never delivered on that front, alright, so be it.

But did we really need the Scarlet Poison after all our hopes and dreams were already crushed upon the Cliffs of Trahearne? What cruel fate do writers have in store for us all? It brings but a gloomy frown to what used to be my face.

Excuse me.

Just hire this guy, I don’t know.

Anyone who’s well-versed enough in interactive storytelling to recognize the parallels between Thaumanova and Black Mesa would do a much better job at it than what we got.

(edited by Draco.2806)

in Fractured

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I am just very glad right now that she was not allowed anywhere near Gw1 lore and Abbadon.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in Fractured

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I’m an avid player. Played GW1 for 7 years and loved the lore and storytelling. Bought the game early to participate in beta, and when it went live, I didn’t miss a day of logging in and doing my daily, DE’s, world bosses, and even some WvW. Didn’t miss a SINGLE day.

I agree with the many posts on why Scarlet is a poorly written character. I don’t dislike her because she is a villian, but because she’s poorly implimented. When I read here on the forums that Scarlet was responsible for the reactor meltdown, I was so disappointed that I didn’t log in for 3 whole days.

Three. Whole. Days.

Anet, please can the story, and bring Jeff Grubb back to craft the kind of story (or stories) that made Nightfall and GW:EN so enjoyable.

(edited by Sinbold.8723)