Wintersday 2013

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

First of all I want to thank Arenanet for letting Thaumanova Reactor fractal be a total disappointment. I voted for Evon and I support the thought that even Arenanet hates the fact that Kiel won aswell! I mean, why else would they take a minute of their time to write in Scarlet into the Thaumanova Reactor, right? :P

Secondly YAY WINTERSDAY! That means we get away from Scarlet! WOOHOO! Or am I jinxing it now?

On a more serious note.

I expected a lot more from Thaumanova Reactor. Scarlet saying she caused havoc and that her work is done here….isn’t an interesting story. Sure there are good things here, like that there was no waypoint on death…err…kidding I mean the rarity function in bag and the whole mistlock instability mechanic. I think it’s a blast and I am having a lot of fun with fractals.
I am just getting tired of seeing Scarlet everywhere with every darn update.

Another post summed it up quite nicely. Scarlet having a full year of attention from story writers and yet she is the blandest character in the whole darn game. Hell, even the merchant NPCs have more character than her plus they are usefull! I really want to be able to say the same about Scarlet, but I can’t.

And for Wintersday, maybe we get a norn cultural tier 3 set with ice animation out! It would be shameless cashgrabbing and utterly lazy design, but atleast they get away from their fire fetish that way! :P

TL:DR: Scarlet again, shoo. Wintersday without Scarlet will be a breath of fresh air. If you are going for lazy and fast design, please make norn cultural tier 3 with ice animations please :P

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Antaris.5281

Antaris.5281

Wintersday 2013: “How Scarlet Stole Wintersday”

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Luminarin.2301

Luminarin.2301

Probably in the upcoming Wintersday content, we will all be getting spammed by Scarlet’s windersday presents, I mean the exploding ones, we all open it, and we all die…
…And the game will die because all players will be perma dead.

Then we will get prisoned inside the Thaumanova reactor and our life energy will be used by Scarlet to ressurect Zhaitan and his new risen-inquest Alliance…

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Scarlet will take over Tixx’s workshop and unleash Nightmare Twisted Wintersday Toys on Tyria. Unless you stomp them after killing them they will take your Comfort & Joy and fabricate clockwork Trahearnes all armed with Saladbolgs.

The obstacle is the path.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Ugh. Seriously, please don’t. I can absolutely live with Scarlet (yes, she is bland as hell, but I like Jester types) in most LW updates, because they center around something she did/is doing…but having her and her established minions (Aetherblade, Molten Alliance, Toxic Alliance) in Wintersday would really be too much.
Maybe something silly, like having her recode the toys to steal presents (in LA, much like the Grenchie…I forgot what they were called, in GW1) randomly poppuing up in the city, but nothing major.

Also, I am perfectly aware that IF Anet had planned to have Scarlet play a major role in Wintersday, it would be far too late to change that ^^°

Polka will never die

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

But Frotee, there’s potential in it IMO.

I mean, what if Wintersday simply makes a mockery of it?
We’d have Aetherblade going around giving people’s children presents from their christmas-rethemed airships, and Scarlet is Santa Claus.
All events are non-combat, like the rhytm games, jumping puzzles or timing games where you have to deliver games with a rocket-powered christmas sled.

I’d pay to play that! :o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Ah, but that would be something silly, not something major(ly frustrating), which I have absolutely nothing against

Also, I do believe this thread is in the wrong forum. Would be more fitting in the general Living world part, wouldn’kitten

Polka will never die

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Frenk the Vile.2596

Frenk the Vile.2596

Wintersday won’t end well.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So, what did Scarlet do in the Halloween update?
Am I quite sure the amount of involvement she had there was a total of 0%.

It is likely that she will be left out of the classic holiday-events.

As for her being part of the Fractal.
It makes sense. She did work with the Inquest.
Something happened so that she was thrown out.
This Fractal clearly shows something happening with an Inquest installation.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Carighan.6758

If that’s the case, I wonder whether we end up with Scarlet being one of the good guys. Would make sense. I mean, Chaotic Good in AD&D terms, “Those babies are the devil, they must be put to the sword”-type of good.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

guys, all this crap is set in advance with months, I’m sure anet already destroy that wintersday too… we just dont know it yet. Just wait, few more days till december

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

If that’s the case, I wonder whether we end up with Scarlet being one of the good guys. Would make sense. I mean, Chaotic Good in AD&D terms, “Those babies are the devil, they must be put to the sword”-type of good.

So that makes us, the players, Lawful Evil? Blindly attacking the “good” guy because that is how it should be? … in a second thought, that would be really cool

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

This exactly.

If you read Scarlet’s back story at all and paid attention to the plot points of her story line, this shouldn’t be that big of a surprise. I seriously think that people just want to hate on Scarlet and do nothing to look into the story behind the character at all.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

If you read Scarlet’s back story…

Expecting players to read a website story that takes place outside of the game is unacceptable, even the developers admitted that it was not a good way to convey the story behind her.

I know I am not alone in the “If it did not happen ingame, it did not happen at all” crowd.

Funny how the handful of Scarlet fans always fall back to that one story as if it vindicates the character in some way.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

guys, all this crap is set in advance with months, I’m sure anet already destroy that wintersday too… we just dont know it yet. Just wait, few more days till december

Yup. After the fiasco of B&M all I expect from Wintersday is disappointment. I fully expect things to be removed (mini games (probably bells just because) and the old blimp/zephyr contents) while only a couple little things being added. Also expecting full blown grinding/obscene amounts (even more than the obscene corn/Halloween items costs) needed of the ugly socks/scarves/coats(?) this time around.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Carighan.6758

So that makes us, the players, Lawful Evil? Blindly attacking the “good” guy because that is how it should be? … in a second thought, that would be really cool

Well, we do cause harm in all the “older” Fractals. We’re always the evil people. We help conquer Ascalon, we ruin the peace of the last Asura, we help a dangerous colossus escape from his wardens, we threaten nature, whatever.

Dessa is the true evil! And we blindly follow her!

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

Ugh. Seriously, please don’t. I can absolutely live with Scarlet (yes, she is bland as hell, but I like Jester types) in most LW updates, because they center around something she did/is doing…but having her and her established minions (Aetherblade, Molten Alliance, Toxic Alliance) in Wintersday would really be too much.
Maybe something silly, like having her recode the toys to steal presents (in LA, much like the Grenchie…I forgot what they were called, in GW1) randomly poppuing up in the city, but nothing major.

Also, I am perfectly aware that IF Anet had planned to have Scarlet play a major role in Wintersday, it would be far too late to change that ^^°

Last year’s Wintersday was amazing, from the music to the look and feel of Lion’s Arch. If there’s even a tiny portion of Scarlet in Wintersday, I won’t play it. I know I can’t be the only one who feels like this.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

we ruin the peace of the last Asura,

Just that part is incorrect. A dev said that Fractals never show events in the future, only past, so he can’t be the “last Asura”.

EDIT: Found the post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/The-Uncategorized-Fractal-is-Rata-Sum/first#post2380457

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

(edited by Belzebu.3912)

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Delvoire.8930

If you read Scarlet’s back story…

Expecting players to read a website story that takes place outside of the game is unacceptable, even the developers admitted that it was not a good way to convey the story behind her.

I know I am not alone in the “If it did not happen ingame, it did not happen at all” crowd.

Funny how the handful of Scarlet fans always fall back to that one story as if it vindicates the character in some way.

I’m not expecting anyone to do anything.

First, it’s a video game. Let’s not be too serious, ok.

Second, it is her back story. If people don’t want to take the time to educate themselves on that story, no matter how it is implemented, then that is their own fault. The simple fact is, the story is there to paint the picture and connect the dots. It doesn’t vindicate her as a character, it fleshes her out.

Funny, I don’t see people complaining about Rox and how her back story was on this website. I don’t see anyone upset that her entire War Band was killed “off camera”. I don’t see anyone mad that Braham lost his father or that Elen Kiel was rescued at sea after her family was killed.

There’s been quiet a few back stories that have helped to flesh out characters in the Living Story. The only complaint is about Scarlet and it just seems like a pretty lame complaint IMO.

At the end of the day, this is all just my opinion though. I play this game and enjoy it. I hope all others do as well. If you’re wasting your time and playing a game you don’t enjoy, it’s time for some self evaluation then.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

maybe we get a norn cultural tier 3 set with ice animation out!

That…would actually be really, well, cool :P

NSPride <3

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

Well, the thing that irks me a lot is that Scarlet COULD BE SO DARN INTERESTING, if they only implemented a tiny portion of that webstory into the actual darn game itself…But no, in the game Scarlet just pops up and goes like….HEEEHEHE I STOLE YOUR COOKIES….and killed the baker! HAAAHAHA….

Make her into the awesome “fleshed out” character you showed us she could be in that webstory. I think people would really really really change her opinion about her.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

Im sure Scarlet will give as these http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_From_Scarlet

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Aedelric.1287

Second, it is her back story. If people don’t want to take the time to educate themselves on that story, no matter how it is implemented, then that is their own fault. The simple fact is, the story is there to paint the picture and connect the dots. It doesn’t vindicate her as a character, it fleshes her out.

Funny, I don’t see people complaining about Rox and how her back story was on this website. I don’t see anyone upset that her entire War Band was killed “off camera”. I don’t see anyone mad that Braham lost his father or that Elen Kiel was rescued at sea after her family was killed.

There’s been quiet a few back stories that have helped to flesh out characters in the Living Story. The only complaint is about Scarlet and it just seems like a pretty lame complaint IMO.

At the end of the day, this is all just my opinion though. I play this game and enjoy it. I hope all others do as well. If you’re wasting your time and playing a game you don’t enjoy, it’s time for some self evaluation then.

You do not, but Arena Net apparently does, which is why the text is on the website and not in game.

We all know it is a video game, telling me not to be serious before you make your own `serious´ and passionate reply hardly gives you a morale high ground, but fine continue.

The people are to blame for not reading content outside of a game? Believe it or not but most people play the game and rarely come to the forums or read up on the website. it is not the player base failing but Arena Net failing to inform its players, if they truly want people to read any story then they should add a tab in the hero panel containing these texts.

Rox was a good character, her back story can be put together without having to read a story outside the game through interactions, cut scenes and okay-ish in game story telling. Scarlet on the other hand requires it, without that story you essentially have nothing. Constant “HAHAHAHAHA! Later taters! -teleport-” is not clever, detailed or deep and meaningful writing.

Saying something is lame is fine, but it hardly is a convincing argument, please point out why other players displeasure with Scarlet is wrong and why you are right. I have read countless posts explaining why the whole Scarlet fiasco is bad yet the people that defend her rarely ever give reasons as to why she is good beyond saying read the website story. Saying `you are wrong.. because!´ simply does not cut it.

Now you imply I do not enjoy Guild Wars 2, I am a bit offended by that as I love the game. I am a veteran player I have played since Guild Wars 1 beta played the Guild Wars 2 beta. I own every addon bought Guild Wars 1 store items Guild Wars 2 store items, clocked up thousands of hours between games and have no intention of stopping now even with Scarlet ruining the living story. I dislike Scarlet and her story as evident with my posts, unless you are trying to tell me she is the entirety of Guild Wars 2 and without her their is nothing then I am hardly going to stop playing, am I?

Self evaluation you say. I am a die hard Guild Wars fan (I even own a mouse pad and the books) distraught over yet another badly written character pushed into every bit of content regardless of logic. People posting on forums about things they dislike is how developers learn if the content they made went down well. I would say I am behaving perfectly normally for someone that loves the franchise. Now I ask you, evaluate yourself, ask why you care about another persons hatred with Scarlet and why do you feel so compelled to argue with him yet do nothing to try and convince or sway him to your view point.

(edited by Aedelric.1287)

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Delvoire.8930

You do not, but Arena Net apparently does, which is why the text is on the website and not in game.

We all know it is a video game, telling me not to be serious before you make your own `serious´ and passionate reply hardly gives you a morale high ground, but fine continue.

The people are to blame for not reading content outside of a game? Believe it or not but most people play the game and rarely come to the forums or read up on the website. it is not the player base failing but Arena Net failing to inform its players, if they truly want people to read any story then they should add a tab in the hero panel containing these texts.

Rox was a good character, her back story can be put together without having to read a story outside the game through interactions, cut scenes and okay-ish in game story telling. Scarlet on the other hand requires it, without that story you essentially have nothing. Constant “HAHAHAHAHA! Later taters! -teleport-” is not clever, detailed or deep and meaningful writing.

Saying something is lame is fine, but it hardly is a convincing argument, please point out why other players displeasure with Scarlet is wrong and why you are right. I have read countless posts explaining why the whole Scarlet fiasco is bad yet the people that defend her rarely ever give reasons as to why she is good beyond saying read the website story. Saying `you are wrong.. because!´ simply does not cut it.

Now you imply I do not enjoy Guild Wars 2, I am a bit offended by that as I love the game. I am a veteran player I have played since Guild Wars 1 beta played the Guild Wars 2 beta. I own every addon bought Guild Wars 1 store items Guild Wars 2 store items, clocked up thousands of hours between games and have no intention of stopping now even with Scarlet ruining the living story. I dislike Scarlet and her story as evident with my posts, unless you are trying to tell me she is the entirety of Guild Wars 2 and without her their is nothing then I am hardly going to stop playing, am I?

Self evaluation you say. I am a die hard Guild Wars fan (I even own a mouse pad and the books) distraught over yet another badly written character pushed into every bit of content regardless of logic. People posting on forums about things they dislike is how developers learn if the content they made went down well. I would say I am behaving perfectly normally for someone that loves the franchise. Now I ask you, evaluate yourself, ask why you care about another persons hatred with Scarlet and why do you feel so compelled to argue with him yet do nothing to try and convince or sway him to your view point.

The problem is, no one really has a good basis to either hate or like Scarlet. It’s just opinion and how that individual feels about the storyline or character.

My point is basic. I personally don’t understand why people get upset about a fact like this in the game. I understand bug issues. I understand poor game development or implementation. But for people to have a hatred for a story element and character element is just strange.

You still enjoy this game and I commend you for that. My statements were more of a broad stroke then a direct statement to you. While I did respond to your post, my real concern is the people who aren’t constructively critiquing the Scarlet situation, but instead just claim they hate her and are about to quit playing the game because of her. That’s were I find confusion.

I agree that not everyone uses the forums and not everyone wants to read the stories on the website. I agree as well that the stories should be implemented into the game itself somehow.

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Aedelric.1287

I see no reason for anyone to quit over Scarlet, only a few drama queens have actually claimed to do so. I would not take anyone’s claim of quitting seriously, to do so seems preposterous to me.

I am not sure how to convince you about the issues people have with Scarlet Delvoire, especially as opinions and issues have already been made fairly clear. I do not think either of us will be able to sway one anothers opinions in the slightest, we will just have to agree to disagree.

The sooner Arena Net move lore and stories into the game itself, the better for all concerned. Unfortunately I do no see that happening till well after the Scarlet arc has ended, far too late to save her character.

On topic;

Wintersday is one of my favorite holiday events, if Scarlet so much as shows her face during Wintersday or makes the Super Cuddly Alliance (Moto & Tixx) I probably will completely freak out!

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Delvoire.8930

I do not think either of us will be able to sway one anothers opinions in the slightest, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Agreed and no hard feelings.

On topic as well, I really hope they bring back Wintersday to be nearly exact to how it was last year. This was the one event I missed last year with the holidays and family and such. This year is looking better and I know I’ll be playing more. I hope that floating toy ship comes back!

Wintersday 2013

in Fractured

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

This exactly.

If you read Scarlet’s back story at all and paid attention to the plot points of her story line, this shouldn’t be that big of a surprise. I seriously think that people just want to hate on Scarlet and do nothing to look into the story behind the character at all.

You keep pretending that there is a story behind Scarlet. The rest of the sane world will laugh at you. The fact is that they shoehorn Scarlet into everything, and she has no goal. She shows up and does random stuff. Making random factions and groups. She doesn’t care when we spoil her “fun”. She has no personality aside from mindlessly doing evil for no reason at all.