Ascent to Madness: The "Rat Race" Dungeon of GW2

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MirageFire.9265

MirageFire.9265

A “Rat Race” is an endless, self-defeating, or pointless pursuit. The only reason people run that dungeon over and over again is because of that chest and the end of the dungeon that always spawns if you complete the dungeon. Some people have been getting Exotic Halloween drops while a vast majority had gotten vendor trash. Ever since that Dungeon came out, the thing I hear in Lion’s Arch is: “LFG MK” over and over again. Because of this, nobody wants to do the other dungeons anymore. Servers that were dominating WvW are losing their claimed territories one by one. Orr is now full bots because they have less competition while everyone else farms Ascent to Madness instead. People keep running this “Rat Race” for that sliver of chance of they’ll get that Exotic loot or Halloween drop once the Mad King goes down over and over again. You’ll never get that drop you wanted and you’ll never your time back you wasted farming that dungeon.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

Well aren’t you pessimistic? Someone might get lucky, someone might not. It’s all probability. It’s going away tomorrow anyways.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

It’s a temporary event, of course people will set aside other dungeons that will always be there for something there for a short time. It really isn’t a rat race if you do have a chance to get said rare items. It’s all luck, but even then the greens from the chest can be put into the mystic forge for a chance to make a rares so there’s plenty of reasons to run it.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MirageFire.9265

MirageFire.9265

This is more or less a PSA especially for those who are complaining that did +100 runs and got nothing out of it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tortun.5946

Tortun.5946

I really enjoy the dungeon and I’ve basically only done WvW since I bought the game But this weeks my entire guild has been partaking in the content, it’s only when Gandara slipped into 3rd that we were suddenly “Oh Crap… neglected my duties”

Tortun – Protector of Gandara and Bessie!
WvWvW Player Who Doesn’t Have Much of A Clue

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Marrgon.6852

Marrgon.6852

I’m happy to be in LA and seeing LFG MK. It’s great fun and it will be gone soon. I love it

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

All this really did was ruin the economy even more than it was before.

It was fun the first time, maybe even the 2nd or 3rd time. After that the fun is gone.

Some people run this place 100+ times and are still dirt poor. Some other people run it 5 times and get 2 items worth 150G+ each, earning 300G through pure dumb luck.

This 300G is more than 99% of the people playing GW2 make in their entire time playing the game.

Really can’t think of a better way to completely obliterate the entire economy of a game. Whoever thought of this should be fired and replaced with someone competent.

(edited by Cerise.9045)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

This is more or less a PSA especially for those who are complaining that did +100 runs and got nothing out of it.

Way I see it is that’s luck. With the amount of these exotics on the auction house show that it’s possible to get them, some people just didn’t get lucky. Even if you don’t get an exotic you can still make some decent $ from it.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

Ok. I got 2 exotic and 4 rares inside, white dye, also 1gold50silver from green sales and a bunch of item shop items including lvl 80 transmutation stones and bl salvage kits. In 2 days. More than I got in a month playing regularly. Yeah, it’s totally not worth it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Oculus.5703

Oculus.5703

What?

You’ll never get that drop you wanted and you’ll never your time back you wasted farming that dungeon.

That’s your PSA?

I’m afraid you’re a bit confused about the meaning. It requires some actual information… not a generic statement that holds true for 90% of all MMO activities.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Raven.5281

Raven.5281

This dungeon has crazy good chances at items (even gem items like repair kits, boosters, salvage kits, etc.) I love this event. I just wish there was less of a jump puzzle to it, but it’s fun. Generally as a Mesmer I port people to the lower platform.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AVHero.7382

AVHero.7382

All this really did was ruin the economy even more than it was before.

It was fun the first time, maybe even the 2nd or 3rd time. After that the fun is gone.

Some people run this place 100+ times and are still dirt poor. Some other people run it 5 times and get 2 items worth 150G+ each, earning 300G through pure dumb luck.

This 300G is more than 99% of the people playing GW2 make in their entire time playing the game.

Really can’t think of a better way to completely obliterate the entire economy of a game. Whoever thought of this should be fired and replaced with someone competent.

Sweeping generalizations and made up statistics ftw!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Renegadeslx.4703

Renegadeslx.4703

More to the point why do you care if people are “wasting their time”?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

People love to whine. Whine Whine Whine. Not enough cheese in world to go with all the whining in these forums.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

You do realize that some people play this game because it’s fun right? If they like the event content then why wouldn’t they maximize their time in it while it lasts? Boohoo for WvW…it’ll return to the zergfest you know & love in a week. I personally enjoy this content (tower aside). Everyone complained about there being nothing to do at 80. Now you have something new for a short time. Enjoy it! And let the rest of us too.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: lifebird.1845

lifebird.1845

Of course WvWvW and other dungeons will suffer, temporarily.
This is an event!!! It’s a couple of days where people have attention deficit disorders doing silly, possibly fruitless things, because it’s new, and possibly fun to them.
I’m sure that, come November 6th, people will look back to dungeon runs, leveling, exploring, and WvWvW…ing.

Hmm… If WvWvW = (Wv)^3, can we just call it Wv3ing “weeveethreeing” ?
.. One of those days.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

While you were making this topic I got a few exotics, the mad moon shield and lots of blck lion chest stuff like keys and fine transmutation stones….

Mad king guna die.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Nothing but garbage from that chest in 15+ runs… Yeah I just gave up on it. It’s much nicer to get guaranteed decent money off of farming Plinx than some astronomically tiny chance at a level 78 exotic or a Halloween item.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

I did about 10 runs and got Arachnaphobia.

I’m lol’ing all the way to the bank.

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It’s sooo easy compared to GW2 dungeons, good light-hearted fun. No, you don’t get tokens. Prob’ly the loot is no different from other things you could do. Certainly not as good as the 3hr dragons. But, the event illustrated to me that I’m already kind of tired of the other stuff. So it’s a great break.

You certainly don’t miss out on anything if you don’t do it. But if you’re playing GW2, the only group-related thing that’s “for a limited time only” is this little dungeon.

I still just have 2 80s, and it’s been nice to play an alt or two for this stuff.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

I ran it a bunch of times and mostly for fun. I enjoyed running it with new people, met a bunch of cool individuals because of it. Time well spent.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

in Halloween Event

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

wow, so people aren’t doing what you enjoy anymore op, boohoo. get over it and let people enjoy what is there for the limited time they have with it.

I have run the tower and the ascent to madness quite a few times, and not for the chance to get a halloween drop (I don’t even want one) or an exotic, but because it is fun.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Sad face, I didn’t see the chest when I did this before. Thought the automatic reward was it!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

He does bring up a good issue about the LFG spam in chat though, regardless. That’s one of the games bigger issues is the lack of an effective grouping system. Now hell no I don’t want something like WoW’s where you have absolutely no connection and just pop a queue into a dungeon with strangers you couldn’t even play with after the dungeon, but the game could do a much better job at getting players looking for groups in front of each other. Some kind of chat or interface is greatly needed. It would be great to be able to find groups for dungeons outside of the actual zone its in or Lion’s Arch.

[EG] is recruiting!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Spottycat.7218

Spottycat.7218

Look at the farming alternatives in the game. :/ You have to scramble and panic just to get mobs that are capable of dropping higher end loot because if you’re L80, farming L80 mobs, your loot drops are terrible.

Instead, you have to scramble from event to event hoping to get claim on a mob’s drops while 20+ other people do the same thing (otherwise the mobs aren’t level 84, and the loot rates are crap…)

So, you can either scramble around getting nearly nothing except for event completion, or you can sit in Lion’s Arch with no travel time and farm a lottery chest that will be there for sure with one cash shop item, some halloween crafting mats and 2 green or better equipment pieces in it every time.

The choice is pretty obvious, unless you have the alternative of farming some bugged event somewhere in the game – which you’ll get in trouble for doing.

We need a zone where L85 mobs are the default mob, so we have some difficult farming of the normal enemies – where we can take a group without ridiculous monster hp/toughness/mechanics like you get in dungeons.

?Tasho (KGB)? •L80 Jack of Trades!
• Knights of Glory and Beer – Fort Aspenwood

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

@Spottycat, why aren’t you in a full group when running Plinx? It’s not hard to get one (though I guess it is a bit harder with everyone camping the Mad King dungeon) and it makes tagging enemies easy.

You can make the same reward off of 2-3 mobs in the Plinx chain as you get from the Mad King chest (2x greens or other garbage loot), and in about 1/100th of the time.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

How exactly did this ruin the economy? In 60+ runs, I only got ONE exotic, and the rest were soulbound black lion items like Revive orbs.

Also, this boss is awesome! Each time we do it, we figure out a cool new way to improve our times!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Imagine if they added a chest like these at the end of each dungeon run. Or if the dungeon bosses dropped actual valuable loot. Players might actually be lining up non-stop to do them.
Players would be having a blast, loving it just like they are the MK instance.

Game was sold as a game focused on “fun” – yet there’s a lot of players still looking for that “fun”. In the MK Instance, they finally found a bit of it. – my opinion of course.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

If you don’t like the dungeon, don’t run it? It’s going to be over in a couple days, I don’t know why you’re worrying so much over this. Unless you’re secretly blaming our W3 performance on it or something?

I’m struggling to find the logic here.

Hoopa doopa.