Best Holiday event I've seen in an MMO.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Regardless of gripes about items/loot, the ANET team is really to be commended. You’ve really set the bar high on holiday content with what I’ve seen for Halloween. It was practically a game in itself, so many different kinds of things to do.

When the most popular complaints are “I didn’t get enough loot” or “The tower is too hard”, you’ve done an incredible job. Adjustments on such things can be easily made in the future. In other games you get a little change of scenery in a few places and a couple tasks to do. This halloween you made something that could encompass all gameplay during the event if someone chose to do so.

The only bad thing is like I said, you’ve really set the bar high. If you can manage to maintain this kind of both quantity and quality content in future events, you’ll have done something that simply has never been done in an MMO.

PHENOMENAL JOB.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shadow.3289

Shadow.3289

ArenaNet has out done themselves showing the community they care about their players & their content

“A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom”
StormBluff Isle

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nooka.8390

Nooka.8390

Agreed, well played sirs.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lord.6497

Lord.6497

/signed excellent job A-Net. Breath of fresh air

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Czinger.6314

Czinger.6314

It was great! looking forward to more.

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz-16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Quadstriker.8961

Quadstriker.8961

Super impressed. Didn’t think a holiday event could be this good.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Mini dungeon, dull jumping “puzzle” as they call it and bags of candies. Yes, I am in shock. For half of this content u had to either waste several hours of ur life jumping over a same thing, or google things and follow step 1 to 6, 7 to 10 (the mad king story with the book for instance). AAhhhhhhh joy!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

Clock Tower: 10/10 I like a challenge
Lunatic Inquisition :10/10 very interesting, had lots of exciting things happen here
Reapers Rumble: 4/10 inspired by dota, none of the things that make dota fun, just rush the base to win, lots of wasted potential
Labyrinth: 6/10 great for farming for hours and hours and hours and hours but very boring. we had enough undead in Orr. Passing grade for bringing people together.
Ascent to Madness: 8/10 fight itself was extremely good, but when you fight the mad king he loses all flavor and just becomes a champion blob
Scavenger Hunt: 10/10 Hope there’s more like this in the future
Rewards : Nexon/10 the game doesn’t have any gear progression, no collectibles for exploring the world, the entire long term lasting appeal of pve side of the game comes from making money. That said, picking a random 0.5% of the playerbase and showering them with hundreds of gold completely ruined any long term appeal the game ever had, really really stupid move. Nobody involved with this has any idea what fun is and should be replaced. Don’t make me start listing names.

(edited by Cerise.9045)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Imperialist.6927

Imperialist.6927

There was no need to google anything regarding the mad king scavenger hunt quest. If you used at least a small portion of your brain you could have realized how simple it was. As for the puzzle, it wasnt even required.

Having added a mini-zone, two pvp minigames, a series of events, a scavenger hunt questline, a dungeon, and a bunch of rare halloween themed items…it pretty much outdoes most other MMOs in terms of holiday content. Had you asked me what i thought of it during phase 1, i might have expressed displeasure. Acts 2 and 3 outdid my expectations by far.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

>>There was no need to google anything regarding the mad king scavenger hunt quest. If you used at least a small portion of your brain you could have realized how simple it was. As for the puzzle, it wasnt even required.

Oh please, like u did it on ur own wihtout asking any1 or using teh internetz. ;-)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Creed.3258

Creed.3258

+ 1 to ANET for this, hope you guys continue giving us events like this. LOL there used to be a time that the only holiday event old MMO games can give is hoards of monsters inside the city

Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean that I don’t understand.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Aniaden.3581

Aniaden.3581

I have to agree as well! I’ve played a lot of mmo’s but this event was the best I’ve experienced. You can tell they put a lot of effort into it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Thunderstruck.5368

Thunderstruck.5368

I think the OP said it all.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Eroberry.6284

Eroberry.6284

To think they did all this in the time they have been dealing with launch and stamping out bugs is awesome! I’m really excited for what the Christmas event will be! o3o

This event was the best halloween event I’ve ever seen in any of the mmos i’ve played. Well done Anet, well done.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

So an event giving you nothing valuable at all except a book who needs a re transmutation, no loot at all (except the small number of players who completed the tower for a feet chest part with same skin of Carrion), is a good event for you? Some pumpkins around makes you feel an event as good? Did you ever play an mmo during halloween at least? Sorry, i don’t want to be mean, but i saw way better on other games, even gw1.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

(edited by Lucas Ashrock.8675)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Spike Firebrand.8943

Spike Firebrand.8943

I think that most of the people in the topic have never played another mmo. As this was one of the WORST holiday events in any of the dozen plus MMO’s I’ve played. I have to agree with lucas ashrock. GW1 Halloweens where much better. Hell I did’nt even get a hat.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Riel.2160

Riel.2160

so for spike and lucas tl dr I want rewards otherwise event is horrible … I played holidays events in many games … what did wow give you? few boring quest and boss in scarlet monastery with rare drop
now you got witch hat and devil horns here nothing too special but amount of content with 5 unique events / mods that I never seen in any other MMO should be enough

(edited by Riel.2160)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Honestly , it was a good event , but Anet still got room to improve on some parts.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

I rate this event on 8.5/10, it was a lot of fun.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Amen.2630

Amen.2630

Agree, i loved act4, nice tought out to get a mob doing the same thing in the crowd and teaching newbies how to use emotes

but the pvp ares in mk … maybe not my thing, im more the wvw girl

and the clock tower was sadistic i hate them for it

i loved lions arch decoration and that they put some use into tonics now

i wished there would be more kid npcs searching for candies ^^

and those act-mails should describe more properly where you can find haunted doors and where which events starts, a lot of people who dont research like me in net /forums/wiki where completly clueless… but this is part of the mmo gaming research wins..

soo i acutally liked the event ^^
cant wait for christmas, i hope it will be far better than this one, then christmas is more important!!!

in Halloween Event

Spike Firebrand.8943

so for spike and lucas tl dr I want rewards otherwise event is horrible … I played holidays events in many games … what did wow give you? few boring quest and boss in scarlet monastery with rare drop
now you got witch hat and devil horns here nothing too special but amount of content with 5 unique events / mods that I never seen in any other MMO

I never said I wanted any thing special as a reward. So stop lieing. I never got anything special in GW1 (apart from a hat) events but I LOVED them all. Unless you liked jumping puzzles or pvp you only had ONE event to do not five. In this one event 99.99999% of the drops where junk. Not white or blue weapons/armour but items they would be sold when you used the sell junk button in the vendor. Why would I bother doing this event when I could go kill lvl 2 mobs in a starter area and get better loot. Now before you start with the your usual entitlement crap response. No I did’nt want it to rain exotics or golds just drops that a normal lvl 80 would drop. Oh and as it seems you did’nt event bother to read all of my post as is usual with you white knight types I did NOT get a hat.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Loved the atmosphere. Simply amazing. I’ll be sad to see Lion’s arch lose the little trick or treaters and green glow. I’ve only played three other mmos but this is by far the most awesome.

I don’t do pvp but I loved the minigames in this event. I don’t do jumping puzzles, but the clocktower was fun (imo) and I conquered it.

But again, the single most amazing thing was the atmosphere. I loved it.

I never talk to new people either but hanging with people in the clocktower and playing in the labyrinth, asking people what doors were up and just mobbing through it with a huge group was just so fun. I made new friends. Just awesome.

Best holiday event for me ever.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: pudu.5964

pudu.5964

I wholeheartedly agree. There were so many things to do! Impressive content considering it was just for the festivity, and not permanent to the game.

I have never celebrated Halloween in my life due to were I live, but the game got me really into the mood . Thanks for everything, ArenaNet!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Riel.2160

Riel.2160

now you got witch hat and devil horns here nothing too special but amount of content with 5 unique events / mods that I never seen in any other MMO

I never said I wanted any thing special as a reward. So stop lieing. I never got anything special in GW1 (apart from a hat) events but I LOVED them all. Unless you liked jumping puzzles or pvp you only had ONE event to do not five. In this one event 99.99999% of the drops where junk. Not white or blue weapons/armour but items they would be sold when you used the sell junk button in the vendor. Why would I bother doing this event when I could go kill lvl 2 mobs in a starter area and get better loot. Now before you start with the your usual entitlement crap response. No I did’nt want it to rain exotics or golds just drops that a normal lvl 80 would drop. Oh and as it seems you did’nt event bother to read all of my post as is usual with you white knight types I did NOT get a hat.

you said that you agree with lucas his major complain is no rewards = kitten event …
I am not white knight as I did all events and I am not pvp or pve type I just like to do all

for example I hated what they did with minis that you need 1000 gems just to get all 4 of them
or I needed to be in human areas because no pumpkins or doors are in norn zones or I hate all skins except crossing and scythe and my main is warrior … so I am not white knight
it was about events did you even try them? they were fun and quite unique mechanic in mmo ….
but its seems you like to killing lvl 2 mobs for random items to get + 5 vitality instead of enjoying content

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

now you got witch hat and devil horns here nothing too special but amount of content with 5 unique events / mods that I never seen in any other MMO should be enough

Uber fun quests. A superb helm i still have. A mount of a priceless awesomeness . A pure satisfaction to be online and have it done even not dropping nothing (which was impossible, just repeating it 5-6 times, at least for the hat, uber cool). I still remember with pure love the wow halloween events over the past years. Or gw1 ones, or many other halloween events playing other mmos. I just hope to forget as soon as possible i even been part of the pure waste of time of the gw2 halloween event.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

(edited by Lucas Ashrock.8675)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I enjoyed the event and the decorations. My only issue was the clock tower having so many other players in it. 4 max players would have been fine, but the number we had made the clock tower more difficult than need be.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

I opened probably close to 10,000 ToT bags and didn’t get anything better than a recipe here and there that everyone has a ton of and I can honestly say I still haven’t had this much fun in an MMO holiday event before. I loved the GW1 events so I already had high expectations that would have been easy to miss. Arenanet have somehow manage to far exceed my already high expectations and I can’t wait to see what is in store for the other holiday events!

And for those saying the clock tower should have had no other players or like 4 max, I couldn’t disagree more. The other players being there was the perfect number. It made it difficult. Without other player, or with fewer players, that whole puzzle would have been trivial. I can’t tell you how many times I died because some Norn or Charr got in my way or because someone fell in a really hilarious way and I couldn’t stop laughing which caused me to mess up. Clock tower was perfect as it was.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

Awesome event I really enjoyed it. However please make the holiday event skins/loot a little less prestigious for future events. I would have loved some of the skins from participating in the holiday event, but my luck isn’t that good and I didn’t want to gamble for them either.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cgnius.8539

cgnius.8539

Tottally agree with the OP, though the only other MMO i’ve played is Runescape, which never really set the bar that high. Anyway I really enjoyed myself in GW2 these past two weeks.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

I personally thought Anet blew it out of the park! I’ve played many MMOs F2P and P2P, but I’ve never seen so much work go into a simple holiday. Surprisingly, I’ve ran into quite a few people in-game who felt the event sucked because there was no good loot. It’s too bad because I loved every minute of it. :) My highlights were definitely Mad King’s voice acting and the clock tower!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

Amazing Halloween event, blew my expectations away.

It is interesting to see the comments. It still seems like the player base is divided into two camps.
1) People who love the game for being different.
2) People who are mad that it is different.

For my 2 cents, I much prefer to have an event like this than access to some “Special Item.” It involved lots of new content. The Labyrinth was a fun way to level an alt, and I loved the Mad King dungeon because it was fun to play.

I’m not trying to invalidate people who are in it for the loot, but the truth is that there are dozens of loot focused MMOs out there to choose from. I’m happy that this Anet focused on the story and content instead.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

the event was great. yet it made me change my attitude twords the game.

i feel that arenanet does not seem to like their content very much or at least they prefer me to pay for a quick win rather then playing it. I had fun with the events and mini games and challenges. I did spend 70 buck on keys to get the skins. we all know the result but its okay i knew what i was getting into. i should have just traded the gems for gold and bought the skin i like.. neglegting all the content that had a chance to aquire it. Because why would i raid the mad king 25 times or spent ours in the dungeon?

i will septn again money for gems. and i will convert it into gold. it will eventually lead to shorten my presence in this game if arenanet wont pull our another carrot.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

My ten year old daughter ran the Mad King dungeon a few times and got the exotic heavy gloves.

Daddy got crap.

It was worth it.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyric.7485

Cyric.7485

My ten year old daughter ran the Mad King dungeon a few times and got the exotic heavy gloves.

Daddy got crap.

It was worth it.

Lol, this post right here is pure gold.
Also, so I don’t get infracted for “not contributing”, I had a blast and agree with the OP.

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Swag.4923

Swag.4923

Blissfully brief. I hate world events—especially holiday events—that last for weeks or months (Rift). The only downside was that the rares, especially from the BLCs, were far too rare. Obviously you want rarity to increase demand, but you need to find the sweet spot where people don’t feel like they invested a ton of gold/$ trying to get those items and ended up getting nothing. That just breeds resentment and hurts future lottery-type cash shop sales.

Just wish those PvP games would stick around. Hide and Seek was great.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gawna.6519

Gawna.6519

Totally agreed! Had a great time checking out everything. Very well done!

Gawna . Gawnaball . Gawnapewpew . Gawnapick . Mamadapolis
NSFW : Dragonbrand

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shapeshifter.2815

Shapeshifter.2815

I had lots of fun, working out, reading and enjoying all the events, decorations and fun. I was not disappointed with anything, as I didn’t enter with any preconceived ideas about rewards and outcomes. I was fortunate to complete everything but the clock tower (and the second book) – and let us be clear, I can’t jump for anything! My kids and I had a great time, helping each other through things that might have baffled the simplest mind…me.

Thanks, it was a great event, I am excited to see what else comes our way in the future.

in Halloween Event

Spike Firebrand.8943

Riel if all your going to do is lie about what I said in my posts why bother to reply. I said in my first two sentancers I did NOT want anything special and LOVED the GW1 events even though all I got was a hat. How does this become I hated the GW2 event because I did’nt get tons of uber loot ?.

I agreed with Lucas Ashrock point thats this was NOT the best halloween event ever. But as is usual with you white knight types this got turned into no loot = crap event as usual.

I also pointed out that of the five events in the holiday the only one that people who don’t do pvp or like jumping puzzles (IE the majority of people btw) was an area in which lvl 80s droped worse loot then lvl 2 mobs do. So why would anyone bother to do it. All I was asking for there is for lvl 80’s to drop lvl 80 loot. But i guess thats too much.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.9620

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.9620

Loved how you decorated Lion Arch!

Loved the lore about Mad King! I actually read what npc said during the quests lol…

Awesome job ANet! Thanks for the hard work!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

Don’t forget the new craftables. The pumpkin cookies are great for people with condition builds who want a little more g for their time.