Clocktower puzzle and paying someone to run it for you

in Halloween Event

Posted by: IcicleTrepan.4125

IcicleTrepan.4125

Q:

This came up somewhere else. People are paying other people in-game silver, and giving their account info (username/password) and having people run the clock tower for them so they can get the achievement.

The people in question tell me this is perfectly OK and not bannable. I would like to hear from Areanet on the issue.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AnotherJaggens.1396

AnotherJaggens.1396

Paying? I’m doing it for free.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

It is not perfectly ok to give out your login/pass. Nor is it a good idea. No one in their right mind would do this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

GW1, people used to always run players to various locations for a fee (sometimes, a large one). It happened for years, so it was certainly not against the rules.

Did you often give your drok’s runners your account info?

(It doesn’t work like that)

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Halo.8976

Halo.8976

Why should it be bannable? It’s their account.
There’s plenty of people who sharing an account with siblings and friends. Is it bannable too? No. As long they don’t playing simultaneously it must be ok.

in Halloween Event

Awesome.6120

Most MMOs have rules against sharing accounts even with family members in their EULAs.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Awesome.6120

Of course payment for an in-game service is ok. That’s not really the question here though.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Aelaren.3784

Aelaren.3784

It is a bannable offence in some NCSoft games (Aion, Lineage). I dont know if they have their say in the matter as a publisher.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tortun.5946

Tortun.5946

Can I not just pay gems for the title once the game realises I’ve spent six hours plus on it? Lol

Tortun – Protector of Gandara and Bessie!
WvWvW Player Who Doesn’t Have Much of A Clue

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

I believe you are looking for section 9b of the User Agreement

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/

User Agreement:

(b) Each Account may only be used by one person. If a minor has been allowed access to an Account by his/her parents or legal guardians, only that minor may use the Account thereafter. You may not make any assignment or transfer of rights, obligations or liabilities related to this agreement and any attempt

I am not an expert at interpreting these documents, so the rest of you, have at it.

I can imagine a lengthy debate on the difference between use and access. It is in the interest and of use to the owner to allow someone else to access the account…? It would also not be intended as a permanent transfer.

Like I said, I am no expert.

(edited by CHOAM.7852)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: IcicleTrepan.4125

IcicleTrepan.4125

Given all the other things going wrong in the game, this is something not to get alarmed.

A sizable portion of the players don’t use the official client.
A sizable portion of the players use GW2 to spam gold sites, farm gold, sell gold.
An apparently sizable portion of the players buy 3rd party gold.
WvW queues aren’t first-come first-served.
Twice last week I had a dungeon party where someone got sent to the wrong instance.
Twice last week I had dungeons complete successfully, but not get the final payoff.
etc. etc.

So many things that you can worry about, Chicken Little. Why fret this small short-lived issue?

Because if I were to for example, get someone to do this for me, I want to know if I could get banned for it ahead of time before I go ahead and do it. If I were to get banned for not knowing the rules, none of your points above would be a valid way to get unbanned.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I don’t know about GW2, but I can’t remember the last time an MMO didn’t forbid account sharing in their EULA. Some make exceptions for children using a parent’s account.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

From the user agreement:

Each Account may only be used by one person. If a minor has been allowed access to an Account by his/her parents or legal guardians, only that minor may use the Account thereafter. You may not make any assignment or transfer of rights, obligations or liabilities related to this agreement and any attempt by You to do so is null and void. However, You may allow access to an Account to any family member who is living in Your household.

Also:

Additional Restrictions – You acknowledge You will not directly or indirectly, to the extent permitted by applicable law

sell, sub-license, rent, lease, grant a security interest in, borrow, lend, loan, network or sell or engage in any activity that could in any way transfer or provide others access to any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof, including but not limited to any serial code number, access key or the like.

Sounds to me like you are not allowed to give your access to anyone other than a family member within your household.

in Halloween Event

Awesome.6120

And I’m guessing they added the family member in household part because it’s basically impossible to detect.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

No its so mommy and daddy can buy GW2 and continue to monitor the account while the child plays it.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Verteiron.8734

Verteiron.8734

Regardless of whether it’s against the EULA, it still sounds like a spectacularly bad idea.

in Halloween Event

Awesome.6120

There is the Golden title.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

The reason the rule is there has nothing to do with actual enforcement of that rule.

It’s there for the following reason:

You and only you are responsible for everything that happens with your account.

If you let a friend play, and he spouts racist nonsense in map chat and 200 people report him in a minute and your account gets banned 10 minutes later, petitioning support to say your ‘friend’ was playing on your account and they should be leinent because you didnt do it blah blah. They point to the eula and say “Bye”.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Either I’m misunderstanding what you meant here or you’re smoking some good stuff and I want in.

If a company sells you a product that requires permanent access to their servers and then blocks your access to their servers, they’re essentially breaking their own product, and as such you’d be entitled to a refund (assuming this happens within a certain time limit, which varies from country to country – there is obviously no expectation that the product will continue to work forever).

Anyway, “paying someone” to complete a puzzle for you would essentially fall under the power-levelling type of activity, and companies are likely to enforce it (assuming they detect it and that it’s widespread or happens frequently enough to be relevant).

Letting a friend who happens to be visiting you play on your PC for a few minutes is essentially undetectable, irrelevant for the company, and they would have to be incredibly stupid to ban anyone for that. But you will, of course, be responsible for anything your friend does while he’s playing at your place.

There is the Golden title.

You don’t actually have to pay anything to get it, though.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

I actually thought this would happen sometime in my first hours in the puzzle, I mean if you know someone whos good at this sort of thing it would be best…even then its sketchy to give a third party details of your account as you cant guarantee that their pc is safe even if the person is.

On the other hand, if someone wants that 10 point achiev so much even tho it doesnt count for anything else or give a title I think it should be up to them if they want to risk asking a stranger for help

in Halloween Event

Awesome.6120

If a company sells you a product that requires permanent access to their servers and then blocks your access to their servers, they’re essentially breaking their own product, and as such you’d be entitled to a refund (assuming this happens within a certain time limit, which varies from country to country – there is obviously no expectation that the product will continue to work forever).
it’s widespread or happens frequently enough to be relevant).

That’s what I thought you were saying. I’ve never heard of someone getting a refund after being banned in a game. You agree to the EULA before you can log in which, in every game ever, says that they can cancel your account at any time for any reason they choose. Have fun taking a company to court over $60.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nimrod.9078

Nimrod.9078

Around… 6hour to trying the Clocktower without luck… I’m going to mad!!!!!! But will not give my login or password for anybody!!! NOOOO

If I’m stupid, you’re smarter than me?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

I wouldn’t give my information to anyone I didn’t know personally and very very well….like my husband, LOL. So NOT a good idea.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I would be happy to help people by doing this for free, especially some of the disabled players that will never be able to complete the puzzle. But I could get banned for asking for login information, and I’m pretty sure they could get banned for giving it to me.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Halloween Event

Account.9832

You agree to the EULA before you can log in which, in every game ever, says that they can cancel your account at any time for any reason they choose.

Just because someone writes something in a EULA that doesn’t mean it’s legal. For example, in the EU companies cannot prevent you from reselling your games. They can erase all your account data when the game is sold to someone else (because the account is a service, not included with the original game), but they must allow transfer of all the goods and licenses originally purchased (meaning the game itself and a “blank” account).

They still put it in the EULA, but it’s not enforceable, and they know it.

Remember when Arena Net said that pre purchasers couldn’t get refunds? And yet they ended up allowing refunds after all. Did they have a sudden religious epiphany? Unlikely. Probably they just got a note from their legal counsel.

Have fun taking a company to court over $60.

Class action suit lawyers would drool over a game with 3 million players.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in Halloween Event

Account.9832

I would be happy to help people by doing this for free, especially some of the disabled players that will never be able to complete the puzzle.

What for?

I mean, it’s not like you win any amazing cash prizes for completing the puzzle.

The only thing you get out of completing the jumping puzzle is knowing that you completed the jumping puzzle. If someone else completed it for you, that’s just going to be a reminder of your own inability.

- Al Zheimer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Why would anyone want an achievement for something they did not achieve?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

^completionists

It’s against the ToS to share your account info… but they have that in their to cover their own butts. They don’t have someone sitting at their desk all day going “EGADS SOMEONE IS SHARING THEIR ACCOUNT I NEED TO BAN THEM RIGHT AWAY”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

To the OP: Oh my God – really? You can’t be serious. Wow. That’s like paying someone to go watch a movie for you. No wait – it’s like giving someone your wallet and asking them to go watch a movie for you.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

What is the point to give ur acc to some1 else to pass the puzzle for you? I dont see the point?! Its for ur own satisfaction. Altho i think the clock tower si the worst kitten ever, i would never give my acc to some1 else to pass it for me. Not cuz i care so much for my acc, but because there will be no sense of achievment.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rainsoul Moonmourne.9743

Rainsoul Moonmourne.9743

tis a good idea! i still believe puzzle is gonna get easier sometime before halloween is over, but we all need to accept some people are just not able to do it.
i finished it for my pals! they were lucky havin me there and not taking a risk

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Account sharing is against our Guild Wars 2 User Agreement. Please be aware that account sharing for any reason can lead to penalties applied to your game account.

Thank you for your understanding