For those of us that spent money, will you buy again at Christmas?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

For those of us that spent real money on items, do you think you will buy again at Christmas. This isn’t for people that come in with the “lulz I spent 0 money”.

Personally I have spent a fair amount of real money on the game, but I dont’ plan to spend any more for awhile. Not till I see how they plan to handle the Christmas event. If it’s just another money grab I’m going to dodge it. I won’t be falling into the same trap as many did this time of buying on the first day.

Just wanted to get other opinions from people that actually purchase gems with money.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: GregT.4702

GregT.4702

I’d buy costumes again, providing they look interesting. Was happy with the ones I bought this year. Have no regrets.

I probably wouldn’t buy Black Lion Keys; that whole thing was a disaster. I mean, I bought 10 keys and got an Endless Mystery Tonic, and I still think I spent too many gems on keys. Can’t imagine how those who bought 100+ and got nothing must feel.

I will probably spend money on minipets again, and on gold in order to buy things like ectos while they’re cheap, and then nerdrage again about feeling compelled to get them while they’re available. That is to say, more pets and sudden oversupply of exotics will likely make me pay money, but diminish my experience with the game and hasten my likely quitting day.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nub.2391

Nub.2391

dud, you sound like you spent alot this hallowenn.
there still 1 and a half month till chrismast. you can save some gold and exchange it to gems. if you plan to spend some money then i think $5-$10 is fairly good enough. just dont spend like gamble.

i think of these event like a movies, so $10-$15 is fine with me. and i dont spend more than that

in Halloween Event

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

not unless it is a nice weapon or armor skin. I bought 2 holiday outfits and only found the Witch costume amusing because she rode the broom. Nothing else about either costume really made me excited and I completely regretted the Mad King outfit.

The fact that both outfits were character only and I have no where to store the extra costume (except on another character) makes it less desirable.

As for keys, no, I never spend money on keys, they are too much a gamble.

(edited by illgot.1056)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Crimsony.2514

Crimsony.2514

I spent 3000 gems (farmed from in-game gold) and got EVERYTHING halloween related from the gem store excluding the black lion chest prizes or halloween finishers.

Hopefully I’ll be able to do the same on the next holiday, but I’m not sure whether or not I’ll play enough to farm another 3000 gems or so (preferably more to sell the excess when demand spikes) by then.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

not unless it is a nice weapon or armor skin. I bought 2 holiday outfits and only found the Witch costume amusing because she rode the broom.

The fact that both outfits were character only and I have no where to store the extra costume (except on another character) makes it less desirable.

As for keys, no, I never spend money on keys, they are too much a gamble.

Wife got the witches costume, and out of everything we purchased for halloween that was the absolute best. She could summon the cat, ride the broom, overall it provided far more enjoyment than the keys.

As for how much I spent, not that much this time. Since the game started? Over 200$ so far. Not much compared to some, but it’s a good bit over a few months. I never regretted it until Halloween though. As I said at first it didn’t matter to me, I figured I was just unlucky. When I saw how they had intentionally just made the drop rate low to get money though, well that really put a huge damper on the entire holiday for me.

My friends that spent real money on it are also going to hold off during Christmas. I wish Anet would send out like a customer satisfaction survey to people that make money purchases to get an over all feel of how good players feel about their purchases. So far I’ve never seen anything like that though.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Czinger.6314

Czinger.6314

I love throwing my money at this game.

So, Yes.

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz-16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

in Halloween Event

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I’d really want to be able to spend for the game, but I have no credit card and live halfway around the world with only my local currency =/

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I love throwing my money at this game.

So, Yes.

so do I. I’ve spent over 2500 dollars on APB since they opened up their cash shop back in 2011.

But I only purchase permanent items, I never gamble, and anything I buy is account wide if they have the option.

I know gambling is the big seller in a lot of MMOs, but I will never gamble considering the odds are never in my favor (worse than Las Vegas in many respects).

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Niko Stark.8932

Niko Stark.8932

I bought the 2 Halloween costumes and 2 keys. If I really like the items from the BLC, I would maybe try to buy $10~$20 worth of keys and gamble with that. If I get it, cool..if not, then tough luck.

Some people tend to feel entitled to a golden ticket item just because they spent over $100 on keys. Set your own limits and exercise fiscal responsibility. I’m sure a lot of these people complaining about how the event “sucked” because they didn’t get what they want after spending $400 worth of gems are adults who understand the meaning of random rewards. It’s frustrating but it is what it is.

So..TL;DR — most definitely, yes. If I like what they’re selling, I will purchase gems again.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jaxichael.2590

Jaxichael.2590

I can say I will. Since I’m “saving money” since this game has no sub. I’ll prolly dump money to get some costumes

Jaxichael, Sylvari Engineer of the Night Cycle

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kodama.9417

Kodama.9417

Not nearly as much as I have spent.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sartorial Zodiac.2560

Sartorial Zodiac.2560

I spent $60 only on keys and got tonics, boosters, black lion pickaxes/axes and trader express. I think I am done with the cash shop. Never again.

(edited by Sartorial Zodiac.2560)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: NVranya.5013

NVranya.5013

Fortunately I had enough gold for gems to get all Halloween items (both costumes, the hood, 2x minipet pack for the special one).

If Christmas comes and I don’t have enough gold and I like the offerings, then yes, I will definately spend some cash.
Like someone else said: there’s no subscriptionfee here, so I wouldn’t mind giving them some money now and then if I see something I like.

(edit: typos)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Halloween is MY holiday… and my RL birthday :P So, yeah though I spent a lot on Halloween items, I shan’t be doing the same for any other holiday

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kiraki.9761

Kiraki.9761

It all really depends on the items for sale.

I got the witch costume because it is simply adorable and I have no regrets about buying it.

But for example, I will never buy the light armor skin from the shop because I have no intention of dressing my character like a power ranger.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

When Christmas comes around, sure I will.

For Halloween I picked up the Witch costume and a couple keys to try my go at some chests. Wasn’t disappointed as I got some useful stuff (didn’t get the skins, but still got stuff I could use at least).

As long as they have a Santa suit or even an Elf suit, I’ll definitely be spending money again. And I definitely hope to see Wintergreen weapon skins make a comeback. Or even the Gingerbread Shield/Focus and Candy Cane weapons. Those were the best.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: elevandar.3014

elevandar.3014

I will spend money again though not specificly at christmas, like I did buy some BL keys (well alot actually) didnt get any wep skins though did eventually get a couple of shoulders was a bit disapointed but I did convert some gems to gold when the exchange rate was crazy high and upgraded my bank a couple of times which was a godsend also had fun with the chests got some great boosters which I plan on using later and yea stuff I would use, like yea but mbe wont go as crazy with the BL chests in the future if the drop rate is like this all the time but yea considering how awesome the event was (and following up with another huge update in november by the looks of things) I will happily pay money, just probs not for temp things in the future =P

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CaptSlate.6205

CaptSlate.6205

Will never buy chests again, Nexon style money making isn’t for me. I’ll happily buy something from the Gem Store if it appeals to me, but when that will be from here on out.

That will be the question.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I have not spend any money, but that was only because I did not have any to spend. I wanted the minipets So yeh, when I get my yearly bonus for christmas, I am going to buy stuff. Definetely minipets, rest depends on the items. Never keys.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Eivene.9127

Eivene.9127

I bought some gems (with money, not in-game gold) and bought both Halloween costumes. I’d happily do something like that again for Christmas depending on what’s available. I don’t buy keys in general, so I don’t do that for events either.

Perfectionists’ Cult [NICE] - Family Friendly PvE/WvW community
Sanctum of Rall

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kathmandu.2417

Kathmandu.2417

I can say I will. Since I’m “saving money” since this game has no sub. I’ll prolly dump money to get some costumes

+1

Had very few time to spend so could barely take part in the Halloween event but let Anet see some money for the costumes. Will do it again at Christmas because good work should be paid.

13th November. The Grind Wars begin.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bartho.7896

Bartho.7896

Yeah ill definitely purchase something on xmas again, this time spent about 20e on the costumes, and they are awesome, not regretting it at all, Im looking forward to xmas goodies.
What I will not is gamble with BL chests for real money, but I havent done that this event either, bcs Im using my brain xD. And everyone who lost XYZ dollars on gambling and then whines here is very stupid and deserves losing that money. (sorry but its true)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mawgleah Simiril.2360

Mawgleah Simiril.2360

I purchased the costumes and I also purchased a couple of keys for the chests I found, but didn’t go into the whole “buy a bunch of keys and hope for special loot”. I have never had that kind of luck and have long since consigned myself to not having “leet” gear. I did have a bit of luck since several of the chest gave me a key and I still have one for the next chest I find.

I’ll probably do the same for Christmas, providing I like the costumes.

I liked GW1 and I like GW2 so I don’t mind spending a little extra here and there to support ArenaNet and a product which provides me hours and hours of e.njoyment.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I won’t buy keys for the chests if they do that again. I didn’t spend much on those, maybe around 5 bucks though. I saw there wasn’t a chance to get anything out of them and quit while I was ahead on those.

I loved the costumes but I’m just disappointed they’re town clothes. I’m undecided if I’ll get winter costumes if they’re also just town clothes. If there’s some kind of battle clothing for winter I’ll definitely get it.

I bought the minis since I love those and would get more for sure.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Karma.5987

Karma.5987

I have never gotten enough gold to change them over to get things I want with gems. Also, I don’t mind sending some of my entertainment budget toward the game through the store.

1. The WITCH’s outfit was worth it. Would buy it or another like it again anytime. Now, if I could just wear it even to fight my necromancer would be so happy.

2. Black Lion Keys NOT worth it: My own fault. I know that. I guesss I knew it was a gamble? But honestly from the implied language, I read it as “really good chance for a weapon skin.” I knew they were rare, but I blew so much money on keys that I am ashamed. I thought “rare” as in a bit hard to get, but since it was just a holiday skin, that it would not be uber uber rare. I played so much through the event, and loved most of it, but I never saw a weapon skin of any kind from any source. Which prompted me to buy a few more keys. It was a vicious circle of my own making, but I do think designed badly.

Will I spend more money? Not for a long time except for a very cool outfit that I know will be an investment in game enjoyment. Now just make them appear in a costume tab for all my characters and not take up inventory space please.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arysta.9530

Arysta.9530

I think this whole Halloween event put a lot of things in perspective for me about this game. The most important thing I learned is that spending real money in the gem store is not worth it unless I really want something specific. I only spent about $10 on chest keys, and even that felt too much. I’m not poor, so I think I probably would have spent more had I thought there was a chance of getting something within reasonable limits.

I’ve also learned that Anet’s idea of fun isn’t exactly in tune with mine… but that’s a story for another thread.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Piriel.5197

Piriel.5197

Costumes, if they look interesting enough maybe. BL keys probably never.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Link.4607

Link.4607

Definitely spending money again. I put $10 on my girlfriends account, so she could buy the witches outfit, and $20 on my account, so I could buy a witch costume and some chests.

I received junk from the chests, but it was awesome. A week long event, new content, titles, achievements, jump puzzles, PvP stuff, events, dungeons. Fantastic. Chests are optional. It bothered me immensely seeing all the people complain that they gambled and lost on the chests.

Definitely spending more at Christmas. It’s a one time payment game, I see no reason not to put a little bit of money in every now and then for something I play so often. Fantastic job, ANet.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I spent $20 for the Witch outfit and left the rest of the gems in case I need them later. I feel that the outfit was worth it.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I will on stuff that isn’t gambling.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Akhet.6527

Akhet.6527

I spent 30 dollars for minipets and bank and bag space.

I got a huge tax refund this year and am way within my budget so spending a little money wasn’t an issue, especially when the Halloween pets are so cute. If they have more cute minipets, I’ll probably look into getting them.

Varien Sundfor
Council Leader of Flux Capacity [FLUX]
Tarnished Coast

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jure Simich.6154

Jure Simich.6154

I spent money only on non-random content, and I would do so again. But I certainly haven’t bought any random content like the mystic chests and don’t plan to in the future.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: GodsDaemon.8063

GodsDaemon.8063

Yes I will spend more money on this game around the Christmas event. Halloween was a lot of fun and I love the Mad King costume I bought. Its not a big deal for me to spend money on the game because of the lack of a monthly fee. If I pay $15 a month for other MMO’s why not spend $10 or $15 for GW2 a month on gem purchases?

To each their own I guess but I don’t mind supporting them with a little cash here and there.

(edited by GodsDaemon.8063)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

If the christmas event is as fun and creative as the halloween one, of course I will.

Lunatic Inquisition was an ingenious idea. The costume I bought? <3 it.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Halloween Event

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I spend $10/mo on gems. I don’t always buy something every month with them, sometimes I save them. I bought a stack of normal transmute gems (before I realized how many of those I’d be getting in game), and 2 bank slots, 1 extra bag space for 2 different characters, and the Witch’s outfit (so I could ride a broom around).

I’ll be spending $10 in about 20 days and another $10 30 days after that. I hope that will be enough to buy any new outfit for the holidays, assuming they are something I’d be interested in. If they start flooding the market with fun town clothes, I will go broke.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Phylazian.6235

Phylazian.6235

I have a habit of spending more than I should… With that being said I have spent $100 dollars in the past two months. from last month I saved 2000 gems and was going to get the digital booster but held off for not sure what reason. Then the halloween event hit and i liked both costumes, the hood, the horns, the mini petsX2, and I bought keys as well. I waited until the yesterday to get all my keys, I even got keys from some of the chests I had unlocked which made me get more chests. In all I was lucky and got 2X of the skull shoulder skin and one of the bird skull shoulder skin. Don’t take this as boasting as it is not I am simply saying I was lucky though they are not rares but green texted items I still feel lucky to have gotten them.

I can say that yes I will be spending money in the Gem Store again in the future. I also know that if no one spent money in the store then the games revenue will start to go south and in time the game will suffer and then go under. I have enjoyed myself greatly playing this game and would love to see many more great things within its confines.

I feel that more people need to fully understand what it takes to keep a game going. Yes , keeping the players happy is a big one. On the same side of the coin there is an old saying “You CANNOT please everyone all the time.” take things in stride this is a game; A place to relax, Have fun, Talk with people, Do events, PvP, WvW, and so much more. If you start to become a “serious” gamer, them you are doing it wrong. Its one thing to be a completionist ( like me) it is quite another to kitten about 90% of the game because you did not get certain items. (steps off soapbox) sorry….

I can not wait for the upcoming events and what they might entail.

Phylazian
lvl80 Norn Elementalist
Dark Spyre [YAWK] Anvil Rock

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ebrown.8193

ebrown.8193

I spent more than I’d like to admit. I bought the Halloween themed items, which I don’t regret. What I do regret is the amount of keys and eventually gold I bought to obtain the skins I wanted.

I started the event the day before act 3 dropped, so I felt like I was always playing catch up. I’m in Europe so I was asleep when they announced that once act 4 started I wouldn’t be able to get into the Ascent to Madness dungeon, and once I was home from work Act 4 had already started. I didn’t farm it when I had the chance, and I regret that as well.

Do I have buyers remorse for the amount of gems I bought? Yes.

Will I buy some at Christmas? Probably, but not even close to what I spent on this event.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kodama.9417

Kodama.9417

Yeah I spent more because I assumed that they wanted us to have the themed items. Generally in an MMO holiday event. There are ultra rare items. But then there are also items that they want you to work towards and obtain.

Out of everything, I only ended up with 4 low end recipes. And between bag space and what the cash store had to offer, I spent quite a bit hoping to get something of decent value to myself. The free horns were a nice last minute idea.

The Mad King with Phantom Hood, was an awesome combo. I get why you can’t wear it in battle. But honestly I would have rather paid for the Mad King’s armor, that you can actually wear in battle. I was new and that was my mistake.

(edited by Kodama.9417)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I’m not going to buy any BLC keys until I see reports about drop rates of BLC items (if they try that again, hopefully they’ll get the drop rate right this time). I’m glad I didn’t buy any for Halloween. The skins weren’t worth $100 a piece.

As far as costumes… Maybe. It depends. They’re neat, but it’s unfortunate that they can’t be transmuted onto armor.

Also, I think that paying for stuff easily beats out farming gold for gems. I mean, $10 is ~8g (if you’re buying gems with gold, you only get ~4g if you’re converting the other direction)… But it probably takes me hours to make that currently (I guess I haven’t found the best farming spots, yet).

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I only purchased the Mad King’s Costume and mini pets. I will most likely definitely buy mini pets again for Wintersday, but I may not do the costumes depending on whether or not we get some kind of NPC to collect all of our costumes. I’ll quickly run out of bank space!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BioMasterZap.4350

BioMasterZap.4350

I will probably spend more. I feel I spent too much on h’ween, but my birthday was in Oct so I had some $ to splurge. Hopefully anet will be smart enough to leave Xmas gem store items in until early Jan so people have time to deposit gift money in bank and buy.
That said, I will probably buy more. I am one of those people to hate to miss out on things. So even if I don’t want a costume I may hate to miss chance to get it, although most will probably be back next year. I do love the witch’s costume though. My asura thief has it one with the phantom hood. It is so funny to see a little asura zoom by on broom at 25% passive move speed XD
I only got h’ween minis because I decided why not. I even got chainsaw. Only one I really liked was the ghost. I also did get mad king outfit since that looked pretty nice. And of course devil horns =P I didn’t bother with finisher or tonics since I rarely use that stuff.

Now the Black Lion Chest is the big iffy one. This is where I feel I spent too much. Over the course of the event, I opened about….40? Maybe more. Some keys were from drops/mad king dungeon chest/personal story though. I didn’t do it solely for skins though. In early oct I got some in hopes of permanent bank access and such.
However, I am disappointed with how they did skins. They never even hinted at rarity that I saw. I expected them to be 1 in 5-10 and account bound. That way there were a cosmetic and not an uber costly prestige item. I did get 4 skins, 1 was from mad king chest, so I guess I was just lucky. Still, if I traded gems for gold I may have made more money, depends how skins rise. And since I turned most of my boosters and tonics into mad king chests, I didn’t have many other rewards left.

So for Xmas, or whatever other promotions they do, I will probably buy costumes and minis again. Although they really need a costume storage in collectibles… As for black lion chest, I plan to save all keys I get for next special occasion now. I may buy more if I feel I can waste the $, but as long as the special items are buyable with gold I don’t see why I should gamble.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nightwatch.2653

Nightwatch.2653

I will spend money again, but only a very small amount now that I know how “rare” rare Black Lion Chest drops are.

For the record, I spent the money and it was mine and I blame nobody for that. But the skins were way, way too rare in drop rates for gambling to get them to be worth it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I could be persuaded to not mind a money grab-ish event every so often, but for your very first event only two months from release to be this gem focused is a little distressing to be frank. My only caution would be to tell the devs that they are walking a fine line with this.

Personally, I think this major focus on time limited gem shop purchases is taking advantage of particular players collector mentality, and I think that is somewhat wrong. It’s good to want to make money through your gem shop, but making those items super rare AND paid for by real cash is a recipe for disaster. Items should only ever be one OR the other; super rare OR paid for by cash. If not, I want to know my odds of winning an item like any other lottery.

Edit: Oh, yes! Costume storage, pretty please!

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Obfuscate.6430

Obfuscate.6430

The lack of costume storage , the inability to wear them in to combat, and the inability to buy parts you like separately makes costumes themselves a let-down. For example I only wanted the broom but I had to buy the whole costume to get it – now the various parts are taking up space in my limited bank because it would be a waste to destroy it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

Not interested in any more town clothes, but I’d definitely spend money on armor & weapon skins.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

If the costumes or minis are something I like sure.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: jammyb.4095

jammyb.4095

No never again I would rather throw it out the window than give it to Anet.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

I run a $20 a month budget for the in-game store, maximum. If I don’t spend it, my balance spills over into the next month. For special holidays, I give myself an extra $10.

Strict budgeting let me enjoy the Halloween specials without feeling ripped off, so in light of that experience, I plan on budgeting an additional $10 for Christmas stuff.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I bought the Witch Costume and the Wicked Hood, and will buy costumes at Christmas again if there’s anything I like.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?