Halloween Weapon Skins-Warning for the unaware

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Melfice.9251

Melfice.9251

I know there are a myriad of interesting things done for the halloween event. I just thought I would warn anyone who is considering buy keys to open black lion chest.

You have a fair chance, just like anyone else, to get a weapon skin or shoulder skin out of a black lion chest. However, there are people who spent $100+ trying to get one and received nothing.

Let me break down a bit of math on some people who did spend $100:

800 gems per $10 = 8000 gems.
450 gems per 5 keys
8000 gems 17.7 packs of keys (5 keys per pack)
Round up to 18 packs (to account for returned keys from black lion chest)
18 packs x 5 keys = 90 key = 90 opened chest.

You can open 90 chest and not get a single halloween skin. To be fair and seem less bias, you will get 90 boosters and other assorted black lion stuff (mostly picks/axes/sickles I am assuming, but stuff none the less).

All in all, my advice would be to pass up on those chest, your better off trading $40 worth of gems for gold to buy the one skin you want off of the TP.

I leave you with this:

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Munki.9452

Munki.9452

I’ve also seen posts of people getting the Greatsaw after opening a single chest. It’s pretty amazing how Random is Random.

I will agree, don’t buy keys if you are expecting a guaranteed return of a skin. That isn’t how it works. Buy the keys if you want to gamble with the chance of getting a really unique and rare skin.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

This could have gone in any of the 20 threads currently running on this topic.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Peter.8047

Peter.8047

Is this the ONLY way to get the skins?

in Halloween Event

Melfice.9251

I am sure it could have! I am sure someone will appreciate the distilled information from all the other threads in lieu of wading through the back and forth banter that seems to be going on in the 20 other threads you speak of.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

True, but that doesn’t mean it should

In all fairness, even if i’m at the complaining side of the table.
I don’t think we should overdo it on the threads.
It’s good to post our concerns (from both sides) but after a reading all the other posts and threads (I’m in most of them and did read them indeed), I sort of feel I done my critical job and I’ll wait and see what’s next.
Ball is in the dev camp now.

And oddly enough I came to the conclusion of waiting it out after sort of comming to terms with one of my ‘adversaries’ in the threads
(looking at you Dump Truck, we both got carried away at times)

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

You told us nothing new. People have been saying “I opened $100 worth of chests and got nothing!” since last night. They are even putting it in their sigs now.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Halloween Event

Melfice.9251

The skins that come out of the black lion chest are unique to black lion chest. They only come from black lion chest. However, they are not bound until used so they can be sold and bought on the TP. Like I suggest in my original post, if you really want the skin, the best way to to exchange gems for gold and buy it off of the TP.

in Halloween Event

Melfice.9251

You told us nothing new. People have been saying “I opened $100 worth of chests and got nothing!” since last night. They are even putting it in their sigs now.

Right, I never said I did bring something new to the table. I claim only to have distilled the info down to a single post as to help folks who don’t want to read through 20 pages of banter.

(edited by Melfice.9251)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: buzzkapow.8465

buzzkapow.8465

The skins that come out of the black lion chest are unique to black lion chest. They only come from black lion chest. However, they are not bound until used so they can be sold and bought on the TP. Like I suggest in my original post, if you really want the skin, the best way to to exchange gems for gold and buy it off of the TP.

Go look at how many gems you’d have to exchange just to buy 1 skin.

I’ll give you a hint. It’s ridiculous. This whole thing was setup as a giant cash grab, and i unfortunately fell victim to it. Oh well, I learned my lesson. No more money for Anet.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

I can tell you after opening about 50 chests yesterday and only getting 2 items I won’t be spending any more money on chests ever again.

I like some other things from the store (Buying gold, bag/bank slots, karma boosters). However I don’t feel the black lions chest are a good value.

I simply will vote with my wallet and not buy any chests for future events.

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Avatar.1923

they have to make money somehow.

as long as they dont put dungeons or events on the black lion trade, i think cosmetic stuff is really fair to the customer.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

That’s fair enough Avatar, but they should have considered the simple business rule of always giving your customers the feeling they gained something.

Candy corn, silly towns hats, anything…

They could have avoided this whole mess so easy.
Just give each chest some not so rare silly stuff, and a few towns clothes that would become common indeed, but still…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Halloween Event

Melfice.9251

they have to make money somehow.

as long as they dont put dungeons or events on the black lion trade, i think cosmetic stuff is really fair to the customer.

personally, I think they should have thrown the skins in the bltc directly. Sell them individually or sell the six pack. I am sure that a six pack for $50 would have been fine for many people. On top of that, that is roughly the equivilent to 1/3 of a year of subscription time in wow. Essentially three events a year with a “weapon skin pack” at $50 would pay for for an entire year of sub time in a sub based mmo.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Outamyhead.4812

Outamyhead.4812

I’m just getting the quest stuff, if you have money to throw at the store then fair enough, but if you can’t find fun in just playing the game, then your not playing it for fun. So far I am enjoying the seasonal event, without blowing money at the store, only gripe I have is having to travel to another location to get candy corn, and then back to LA.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I agree with Outamyhead (probably because I am too). I plan to do the quests but I’m not really into getting everything else. The scythe would look cool on my necro though…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Got the scythe from the TP, 20g.

Honestly , if you got money to spend , i would convert gems to gold and buy directly , if you dont have money … try to farm some gold fast.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

They made an update in another post, Regina Buenaobra said to keep all the halloween stuff, they are going to reward us with halloween related items in exchange for them if we are unlucky.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: krs.7520

krs.7520

if you want to BUY the skins, buy them at TP, on my server the price of one skin is less then 10 keys.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Czinger.6314

Czinger.6314

I got a weapon skin on my 2nd try. I opened 30 total and that was all.

I sold the weapon skin for 3 gold.

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz-16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

in Halloween Event

Posted by: supercereal.1683

supercereal.1683

Honestly… anyone willing to throw that kind of real money at a CHANCE to get a rare item(s) in a video game deserves to have that cash taken. Hope they consider it a lesson hard-learned.

Interesting to see ANet’s financial strategy at work though. People fork over ridiculous sums for imaginative vanity.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi,

You can follow the discussion on the chests and skins chance (and other halloween drops) on this thread

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/halloween/22-Chests-opened-nothing-unique/page/25#post523708

To keep the forum clear, this thread is closed. Thanks for your understanding