Holiday, Special and One-Time events

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Could someone do me a favor and explain to me how the stopping of holiday or special events, and one-time events, can humanly possible manage to be accessible to every single human being at a reasonable time?

The only thing possible is that it affects the least amount of people.

So with all the complaints about one-time events, such as Sunday for Halloween, and all the complaints about when the event ends..

.. the only reasonable conclusion is that you’d like one-time events and events that must end at some point to never happen.

Unless someone can provide an explanation on how to please 100% of everyone all the time, you’d prefer a game that never changes. That’s what I’m getting so far.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Aether Cerulean.3675

Aether Cerulean.3675

Yes, there are two easy ways to make sure that people don’t feel ripped off by special events.

1) Make sure that everyone gets everything that’s given out during the event. Whatever you do, under no circumstances let a small handful of people make a killing on easily obtained items, and ONLY THEN patch the game to prevent everyone else from doing so.

2) If you MUST sell a holiday item through a RMT store, just sell it straight up instead of forcing people to gamble.

The day-to-day grind will still be there for the rich to lord it over the poor after the holiday is over.

in Halloween Event

Stark.1350

That’s not exactly what my post was about, but I’ll bite.

1. Why do you feel that everyone should get everything? Why don’t you feel this way about the rest of the game as well?

2. They did sell some items straight up through the RMT store. Just not all of them. See point 1.

in Halloween Event

Aether Cerulean.3675

1) Because holidays are about participation and fellowship, not about exclusion and reminding people of real-life inequities. Above all, in a computer game, it is possible for everyone to have everything. It’s just too hard to let your inferiors forget their worries for a few days?

2) Right. Which totally blows chunks if someone wanted the items locked behind the lottery.

in Halloween Event

Stark.1350

But if it’s about participation, you can participate in everything. If you’re mad about the time of the special event or the time in which the holiday ends, how would you fix it to please every single human on the planet able to participate? Or do you want to do away with one-time events and events that must end?

You could have bought the items off of the auction house instead of attempting the lottery.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Drekor.5217

Drekor.5217

But if it’s about participation, you can participate in everything. If you’re mad about the time of the special event or the time in which the holiday ends, how would you fix it to please every single human on the planet able to participate? Or do you want to do away with one-time events and events that must end?

You could have bought the items off of the auction house instead of attempting the lottery.

Repeat the event every couple hours for a day?

The Shipwrecked Pirates
Tarnished Coast

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

Repeat the event every couple hours for a day?

They did that in Guild Wars 1. I’m not sure why they aren’t doing it here.

Gamer Gal

in Halloween Event

Aether Cerulean.3675

Only if I had the money to do so. Not everyone has been able to take advantage of an exploit/unexpected bonanza yet. But there’s always hope for Act III, and failing that, Christmas.

As to the one-time event, I plan to be there, but pity the people who can’t. It makes no sense to hold an event only once when one’s audience is 24/7.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ghangurighan.7514

Ghangurighan.7514

It is understandable that Anet want to make this a special event, but why not just make it last >24 hours, that way, everyone in all time zones gets a chance, and it will still be short lived.

in Halloween Event

Stark.1350

That’s a pretty reasonable response, Drekor. And yet I’ve read complaints about those that are on vacation, busy or unable to attend at all on Sunday. What about them now?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bobudo.7943

Bobudo.7943

That’s a pretty reasonable response, Drekor. And yet I’ve read complaints about those that are on vacation, busy or unable to attend at all on Sunday. What about them now?

Look, people who can’t make it at all on Sunday are SOL, that’s nothing unusual. The same can be said for people who can’t play all week – they will miss all of the Halloween activities.

But to have it only occur at a single fixed time through the day is needlessly restrictive. But what about the surprise?? Yeah, much better to exclude people instead.

I’ll be at the event, but I think it’s unnecessary to make people miss out.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Euacha.1596

Euacha.1596

You would know how it feels if you were in Australia… I was really excited about the special one time event. When I saw the time… I was really disappointed. I can’t play that early in the morning/late at night in a school day.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kirrund.2654

Kirrund.2654

1) Because holidays are about participation and fellowship, not about exclusion and reminding people of real-life inequities. Above all, in a computer game, it is possible for everyone to have everything. It’s just too hard to let your inferiors forget their worries for a few days?

…sounds like you have some sort of complex.

Kaseira The False [NEWL]
www.teamnewl.com
“NEWL guys are cool guys.” -styx.7294 approved.

in Halloween Event

Stark.1350

Look, people who can’t make it at all on Sunday are SOL, that’s nothing unusual. The same can be said for people who can’t play all week – they will miss all of the Halloween activities.

But to have it only occur at a single fixed time through the day is needlessly restrictive. But what about the surprise?? Yeah, much better to exclude people instead.

So you admit that there must be a line drawn in the sand somewhere and you agree that you can’t please 100% of the population.

in Halloween Event

Euacha.1596

@Stark if they made it 24 hours everyone would get a chance to please everyone.. and there is a lot of people from Australia who play Guild Wars.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Perhaps have it as an instance event that people can only do once per account? And if it is an event that the people at Anet have to be a part of have it be an instance that is active several times that day but still made where you can only do it once per account.

in Halloween Event

Stark.1350

How would you handle that, Plague? I’m not certain there’s a way. And as mentioned earlier, Euacha, I actually thought that wasn’t half bad of an idea. What if they wanted to give away a special exotic item or something like that? And people could farm it over and over, gain special mats and coin or sell it for a ton of money that those who couldn’t attend that day during that time frame start getting upset about because it’s too much to obtain?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bobudo.7943

Bobudo.7943

So you admit that there must be a line drawn in the sand somewhere and you agree that you can’t please 100% of the population.

Never said their wasn’t a line to be drawn, rather I was speaking to just how rational that line is and the reasoning behind it.

The “one-time @ Noon PST” line is irrational, and the reasoning behind it is “well, it’ll get spoiled on the internet”.

They are literally saying: Hey guys, bad news: there’s an internet here to spoil things now, so we have to exclude you.

Think about if movies worked like this? Sorry, we’re only doing one showing of this movie, otherwise it’ll be spoiled. For who?

in Halloween Event

Stark.1350

Never said their wasn’t a line to be drawn, rather I was speaking to just how rational that line is and the reasoning behind it.

The “one-time @ Noon PST” line is irrational, and the reasoning behind it is “well, it’ll get spoiled on the internet”.

They are literally saying: Hey guys, bad news: there’s an internet here to spoil things now, so we have to exclude you.

Think about if movies worked like this? Sorry, we’re only doing one showing of this movie, otherwise it’ll be spoiled. For who?

Do you think the running that “one-time” event for 24 hours satisfies enough people?

in Halloween Event

Euacha.1596

Make it you can only do it once… simple. @Stark

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

I’ll add my 2 cents, come live in Australia. Do you know when 12:00 PM Pacific Time/19:00 GMT on Sunday is in Australia? its Monday 5am (Queensland, earlier in Western Australia and and hour later further south of us). I don’t really care that its 5am, doesn’t bother me, that fact that it is Monday does. Most people have to work Monday here and don’t really want to get up early that morning for a video game.

I would like Anet to make events either run twice Sunday (Midnight Sat Midday Sun) that way we would be able to do 1 of them (5pm Sunday arvo) and only doing one of the events gives you the reward (I really don’t care if you still get xp, karma and gold from the event though so that could stay).

Or to have the event Midday Saturday, thus 5am Sunday here.

The BWE were the same, Friday to Monday, so Saturday arvo to Monday arvo, thus I could participate in 2 days of the 3 everyone else could unless I got the 1 or 2 week notice of the event and asked for time off, which sometimes isn’t enough notice for the boss. Same with this event, “posted about a day ago”, thanks for the notice so I could ask for the day off or a later start

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows